* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does anyone else think....  (Read 2234 times)

marquette09

• All American
Does anyone else think....
« on: February 26, 2008, 12:35:46 AM »
Coming off a tough home loss to Louisville and playing rather mediocre for the first 36 minutes that the last 4 min of the ND game really turned our season around?  Even though we ended up losing, we were down by 10 then picked up the pressure and nearly came back to win that game, and since then we have been playing our best all around ball of the year winning our last five rather impressively.

TJ

• All American
Re: Does anyone else think....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 12:49:58 AM »
Absolutely I do.  I remember hoping at the time that they would keep the momentum of that last 4 minutes going and finish strong.  I was really pissed about that game and calmed down tremendously because they found a way to fight back into it.  It was nice to take at least some positive away from that game after how poor it started.

I think bringing back Trevor has helped with the "turnaround" too.  I think it gives the rest of the guys motivation or inspiration or hope or something like that, I don't quite know the word for it.  Plus, from a basketball standpoint, even if he's only getting a few minutes a game, that's a few extra minutes we can rest Barro.

One thing's for sure, I am thrilled (as everyone else is) to see these guys playing up to their potential again.

JetCityWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:35:53 PM »
Let's not forget that part of the reason they're playing better ball is because their opponents probably haven't been as challenging - allowing MU to dictate the style of game.

Tune-ups can turn into victories, so let's hope it carries into Saturday.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »
Let's not forget that part of the reason they're playing better ball is because their opponents probably haven't been as challenging - allowing MU to dictate the style of game.

Tune-ups can turn into victories, so let's hope it carries into Saturday.

Pitt, Villanova, and Seton Hall all called.  They don't appreciate being called "tune-ups". 

However, Saturday will be a real proof point.  Are we legitimate enough to compete with a Top 10 team?

I say we are!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:31:49 PM »
Coming off a tough home loss to Louisville and playing rather mediocre for the first 36 minutes that the last 4 min of the ND game really turned our season around?  Even though we ended up losing, we were down by 10 then picked up the pressure and nearly came back to win that game, and since then we have been playing our best all around ball of the year winning our last five rather impressively.

That's part of it, though I think the development of Oooze is huge that went back a few games prior to that....he's really been playing better.  The addition of Trevor has helped.  The fact Cubillan's shots are starting to fall again, even some of Fitz's.

When we're hitting from outside like yesterday or against Pitt or ND, we are absolutely a devestating basketball team.  One of the top 10 in the nation.  It has helped that some of our guys are playing with great confidence right now. Our defense has also gotten better, and that leads to some easier baskets.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
MU will beat Gtown by double digits. Book it. As good as Gtown is, I just don't think they have as good of a backcourt to compliment their bigs like Louisville and UCONN have. The reason MU has problems with big teams like Louisville and UCONN is because not only do those teams present matchup problems with their big men for us, but both those teams have enough athleticism and speed/quickness in their backcourts to negate MU biggest strength which is their guards. That's why those teams ('Ville and UCONN) are Final Four quality because they have the horses inside to play a half court game well and they also can get out and score in transition well. I just don't think Gtown will be able to contain MU's guards with their lack of speed/quickness in their backcourt. I think MU will be able to disrupt their guards on defense and force a fast tempo, which Gtown doesn't excel at. I see MU creating some turnovers on dig downs into the post to help them get out and run more as well.  

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
MU will beat Gtown by double digits. Book it. As good as Gtown is, I just don't think they have as good of a backcourt to compliment their bigs like Louisville and UCONN have. The reason MU has problems with big teams like Louisville and UCONN is because not only do those teams present matchup problems with their big men for us, but both those teams have enough athleticism and speed/quickness in their backcourts to negate MU biggest strength which is their guards. That's why those teams ('Ville and UCONN) are Final Four quality because they have the horses inside to play a half court game well and they also can get out and score in transition well. I just don't think Gtown will be able to contain MU's guards with their lack of speed/quickness in their backcourt. I think MU will be able to disrupt their guards on defense and force a fast tempo, which Gtown doesn't excel at. I see MU creating some turnovers on dig downs into the post to help them get out and run more as well. 

knock on wood

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »

knock on wood

And by double digits I mean a 10-15 point win. I don't see us beating them as badly as we beat Pitt or ND at home this year. Gtown is better defensively than those two teams.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:59:34 PM by MUFanInGreenBay »

Pago Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 07:19:53 PM »

No.  The reason for their recent success is because TC turned in the tackling dummies for karate outfits and because our early out of conference schedule was a tune-up and gave us good preparation for the rigors of the BE.   ;)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 07:41:48 PM »
i think the key will be locking down ewing jr.  he plays a similar style to hayward, that he can hit open shots, but can also beast underneath.  hibbert will get his 20 and 14, but hayward, mbakwe, and to a lesser extent fitzgerald will have to clamp down on the E-wing

feedback