[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Traci  (Read 8966 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Traci
« on: January 02, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
Did Traci Carter transfer to la salle

GGGG

• All American
Re: Traci
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
Did Traci Carter transfer to la salle

No.  Visited New Mexico State.  Visting Iona and Hofstra this week.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »

Now THAT is far from Philly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
Visited New Mexico State.

SO much for the wanting to be closer to home narrative...

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:33:19 PM »
SO much for the wanting to be closer to home narrative...

Maybe the injured knee will heal better in the higher altitude?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »

That seems like such a fall, no?  I thought for sure that he would end up at a Temple-St Joe's type school, i.e., a high mid major

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
That seems like such a fall, no?  I thought for sure that he would end up at a Temple-St Joe's type school, i.e., a high mid major

He has to find a school that has an opening and will give him playing time.  And I'm not sure what he did that would make him attractive to a higher level school.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
He hasn't committed anywhere.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »

Either because you're a major homer, got used to watching horrible PG play for 6 years or you let what others say  on this board sink in.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 08:18:40 AM »
Either because you're a major homer, got used to watching horrible PG play for 6 years or you let what others say  on this board sink in.

I am with this guy...Not sure why so many people seem to think Traci would get the attention of a high major. Couldn't get minutes here

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
High major no but I think he is more than capable of starting for a better mid major (which New Mexico State is). A lot of times when players transfer from high majors, they go a little lower than they need to in order to ensure playing time. They already overestimated themselves once, not going to let it happen again. As charged as the Dawson conversation is, I think he could have gotten decent minutes fur a better program than Liberty. But I'm sure he wanted to guarantee that he would be starting.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »
Actually Dawson's minutes have decreased this year.  About 6 minutes less per game.  Not sure if he is injured, but his productivity has decreased as well. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
I just realized last week that Liberty is in the Big East ------ for women's field hockey.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »
I am with this guy...Not sure why so many people seem to think Traci would get the attention of a high major. Couldn't get minutes here

He averaged 24 mpg last year as a frosh and 16 mpg this year. Bit disingenuous to say he "couldn't" get minutes here.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 09:45:17 AM »
High major no but I think he is more than capable of starting for a better mid major (which New Mexico State is).

Iona under Tim Cluess and Hofstra under Joe Mihalich have also been among the better mid-majors. He's still looking at quality programs, but I also thought it'd be somewhere actually in Philly, though I don't know the scholarship situations at La Salle, St. Joe's, or Temple.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »
Iona under Tim Cluess and Hofstra under Joe Mihalich have also been among the better mid-majors. He's still looking at quality programs, but I also thought it'd be somewhere actually in Philly, though I don't know the scholarship situations at La Salle, St. Joe's, or Temple.

I agree but I personally categorize Iona and Hofstra as low majors. I think Iona works be a great landing spot for him. Solid program
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 12:02:26 PM »
I looked at the A-10 Philly teams and most have their PG situation settled.  Not really a place desperate for a PG.  Traci wouldn't be guaranteed big minutes at any of them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »
He averaged 24 mpg last year as a frosh and 16 mpg this year. Bit disingenuous to say he "couldn't" get minutes here.

He was recruited over. Lost 50% of his minutes after one year, largely to a freshman.  He was going to struggle to get minutes moving forward.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »
He was recruited over. Lost 50% of his minutes after one year, largely to a freshman.  He was going to struggle to get minutes moving forward.

Right. But he got minutes at a program at our level, plain and simple. 16 mpg, while a reduction, is still getting minutes, especially as an underclassman. "Couldn't get minutes here" is a falsehood.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
Right. But he got minutes at a program at our level, plain and simple. 16 mpg, while a reduction, is still getting minutes, especially as an underclassman. "Couldn't get minutes here" is a falsehood.

I think the implication was "meaningful minutes."  20+ per game or so.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »

Sure, he got minutes but those minutes were going to decrease this season and likely in the next 2 seasons as well. Last season, Traci was the only true PG on the roster. This season a true frosh has taken a bulk of the minutes at PG and Howard's minutes will continue to increase both this season and going forward.

Traci can play at MU's level, but as a back-up. If he wants to get 25-30 minutes a night, he'd be better off taking a step down.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
Why couldn't Traci have played the point and Howard the 2G????

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 02:15:44 PM »
Why couldn't Traci have played the point and Howard the 2G????

Because a line up of Howard, JJJ and Cheatham is better than a line of of Traci, Howard and either JJJ or Cheatham. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »

Because a line up of Howard, JJJ and Cheatham is better than a line of of Traci, Howard and either JJJ or Cheatham.

I think interchanging JJ and Cheatham at times would've been a great plan, and it would've opened more time for Traci, but what's done is done.

Definitely puts us in the market for a 2017 or 2018 PG.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 03:41:39 PM »
I think interchanging JJ and Cheatham at times would've been a great plan, and it would've opened more time for Traci, but what's done is done.

In order for this to be true, HC better work his way out of his slump, we need him.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 03:49:25 PM »
Gotta think at this point that Wojo is looking to recruit over HC. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
Doubt that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »
Meh.   Next year, the team will already have Duane and Sacar.    Sam and Cain manning the 3-4.    Three guys coming in, 3 scholarships still to fill.     Elliot (referenced in the recruiting thread) looks like a long, skinny, scoring combo guard.   A good one to get.    A second should go to a graduate transfer 4/5.    The problem is that good ones aren't as ubiquitous as a Starbucks.    Finally, I have little doubt that Haanif will break out of his slump eventually.     Way too early to give up on him. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »

Why, because his shot's not falling? He's still getting rebounds, creating for others, hitting over 80% at the line, defending well, and not turning the ball over. How quickly we forget that he was our second leading scorer against Wisconsin. The kid has two off nights and suddenly we're ready to relegate him to the bench and find someone to take his place?

FFS. I will concede that he needs to diversify his game. Offensively, he needs to learn to go to his right and could really use a pull-up to increase his effectiveness. But if the kid does 5 other things right, he's still a guy you want on the floor. Compare Haani to Vander in 2012. Cheatham does almost everything as well or better while preparing similarly good defense. Let's give him a minute to get out of his slump, while he has work to do, he's far from broken.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 04:03:40 PM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »

Some people write the craziest $hit.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »
I hope Wojo is trying to recruit over all of our players.  I love our guys, but not looking out for someone better doesn't seem to be the nature of the game.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 04:55:09 PM »

I'd imagine there's a slim chance Wojo recruits a 2017 PG.  Who's going to want to sit behind Howard for three years? Plus Rowsey is the backup.  So 3rd string is what they are looking at.

I'd say close to 100% chance Wojo grabs a 2018 PG.  MU is recruiting a number with size that could play both the 1 & 2. 

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »
This team is incredibly average. I sure as heck hope the coach is trying to recruit over some of the current players.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »
I hope Wojo is trying to recruit over all of our players.  I love our guys, but not looking out for someone better doesn't seem to be the nature of the game.

The double/triple negatives threw me off a bit BUT you are exactly right, Wojo and staff need to be recruiting talent all the time for every possible spot...

Not a great analogy but I grew up in Portland and still have to regret the Trail Blazers not drafting Jordan since they had the same player in Clyde Drexler (BTW - 1977 was a great year for me as a 3rd-grader....Hoops champions X2)

Wojo keep coaching up the squad and get them as far as they can go, by all accounts he loves his squad and the guys who left did that because they wanted more PT and couldn't accept a lesser role
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »
Trying to recruit best players possible=positive connotation

Recruiting over = negative connotation

So Cheatham has a great freshmen year and some fans think he is now going to struggle forever because he is going through a slump?

Relax.....I could show you monthly splits of great baseball players who were great in May and horrible in June.

Steph Curry has had some horrible games this year.......So 1 of the greatest players in the world can struggle but HC can't? Henry had some horrible games last season.....

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »
This team is incredibly average. I sure as heck hope the coach is trying to recruit over some of the current players.

Incredibly average - something for you to aspire to.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »

Nah. Because while HC has been an offensive slump (of 2 games), he's raised his defense to a whole new level.

Against Georgetown he guarded L.J. Peak for the majority of the first half. He switched to Rodney Pryor in second half because he was torching us. Against Seton Hall he guarded Khadeen Carrington, one of the best guards in the conference.

LJ Peak season average by half: 8.15 pph, 1.3 tph, .486 FG%, .390 3P%
1st Half against Cheatham: 2 pts, 1 to, 1/6 FG, 0/1 3P

Rodney Pryor season average by half: 10.05 pph, 1.05 tph, .547 FG%, .494 3P%
2nd Half against Cheatham: 10 pts, 1 to, 4/8 FG, 1/3 3P

Khadeen Carrington Season average: 19.8 ppg, 2.5 tpg, .500 FG%, .508 3P%
Against Cheatham: 12 pts, 4 tos, 4/13 FG, 0/4 3P

Basketball is played in both directions. Cheatham has been doing great on defense and his offensive slump has only been two games at this point. I wouldn't say recruiting over him is primary concern right now. Of course if we can get a player better than him, I'm all for it.
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
Wojo needs to help HC develop his game so he is not always relying on his left hand. Every Big East coach knows he going to drive and use his left hand. Last year Ellenson's versitility made it easier far HC to operate. Now he is teamed with JJJ who also likes to take it to the basket, which makes it easy for the other teams to defend our forwards. At least JJJ can pull up and take a mid range jumper.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 09:38:05 PM »
I would recruit over HC all day long. Nice player but not convinced this is sophomore slump or what he is as a player. I am far more excited about Howard at this point.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 09:45:17 PM »
I would recruit over HC all day long. Nice player but not convinced this is sophomore slump or what he is as a player. I am far more excited about Howard at this point.

Because no player has ever improved after there sophomore year.  SMH.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »
Lazar

Of course guys improve from soph to Jr year and actually the biggest jump for some guys. I have said several times on here that I believe HC might be at his ceiling. Not a bad thing, just not a guy I would be afraid to recruit over.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
I really hope Haanie goes off for about 25 on Saturday if nothing more than to just shut everybody up.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »
Chitown

I hope he goes for 25 as well. You can be assured I am not anti HC at all. Now, title of thread is Traci....I was anti Engine and pro Howard.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
Some people write the craziest $hit.

So in other words you would turn down a 4-star shooting guard because you know for a fact HC is going to start and play there for the next 2 1/2 years? I hope HC turns into an absolute stud but his offensive game at this point consists of one move. A 12-foot stop-and-pop jumper would go a very long way.

brandx

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 11:26:48 PM »
Wow. I hear HC isn't a leader either. ::)

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
HC reminds me a lot of Wes his first couple of years.  Highest ceiling on the team, great all around feel for the game. But being the glue guy that does it all is a role that takes longer to mature into than being the most athletic or having one superlative skill.  He's continuing to grow into his role, but if you watch him off the ball, he just does so dang much right. He's going to be a good one, and as an upperclassman, I expect him to be the kind of guy you need to have to be a great team. But there's gotta be some appreciation for his role and some patience, as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:04 AM »
So in other words you would turn down a 4-star shooting guard because you know for a fact HC is going to start and play there for the next 2 1/2 years? I hope HC turns into an absolute stud but his offensive game at this point consists of one move. A 12-foot stop-and-pop jumper would go a very long way. 

No one would turn down a four star shooting guard.  That doesn't preclude that Haanif and this guard could play together.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 08:12:13 AM »

Know who else was a four star SG? Haani! Should our plan be to just keep replacing experienced four stars with inexperienced ones till we find one that never hits a slump?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
Seriously...Cheatham has had two consecutive off games. In the three games before that, he was averaging 17.7 ppg (including Wisconsin) and had put up double-digits in 9/12 games. Would his game be better if it were diversified? Yes. But other than the Georgia game, he was having a pretty solid season.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »
I really hope Haanie goes off for about 25 on Saturday if nothing more than to just shut everybody up.
+1
Except it will not shut everyone up, they will just move on to something else.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
HC reminds me a lot of Wes his first couple of years.  Highest ceiling on the team, great all around feel for the game. But being the glue guy that does it all is a role that takes longer to mature into than being the most athletic or having one superlative skill.  He's continuing to grow into his role, but if you watch him off the ball, he just does so dang much right. He's going to be a good one, and as an upperclassman, I expect him to be the kind of guy you need to have to be a great team. But there's gotta be some appreciation for his role and some patience, as well.

I think he lacks Wes's explosiveness and if anything I would say Haanif has the lowest ceiling yet the highest floor.  He's Roney Eford 2.0, and that's not all bad, it's just you're gonna get 4 years of solid without much improvement.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
Basic math:  5*****>4****>3***

I'd recruit over all of dem, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »
Basic math:  5*****>4****>3***

I'd recruit over all of dem, hey?

Yea but dont forget the cries of anguish here when Vander "underperformed" his first two years as a 5 star recruit. Weren't some people here wanting to recruit over him as well?

Same issues with Haanif as well if I remember correctly. Defensively, was pretty good, didnt have much of a shot and could only go to his right. Lo and behold, next year he comes back with a respectable 3 point shot, a nasty mid range game and won two games for us finishing with his left hand.

feedback