'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Top recruits second choice...  (Read 8846 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Top recruits second choice...
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »
Honestly, UW was always going to be second for JPT, but they were NEVER going to be first. Saying Wisconsin as #2 is the diplomatic response that satisfies 80% of the state. But I guarantee he would have went to Duke, Kansas, or even Marquette before he went to UW simply because of his emphasis on playing style, which UW is the opposite of what he wanted. Had he picked Duke, he'd say UW was #2. Had he picked Kansas, he'd say UW was #2. But if he ever transfers, I would crap myself if he transfers to his "#2", he'll go somewhere else that plays up-tempo.

UW will always be JPT's #2, and will never rise above that.

+ 1000

furrious9

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
So lets all just talk s*** and rip on a kid by saying he wont play at all out of bitterness that he didn't come here.  He comes to MU, everyone would go crazy.  He goes elsewhere, he wont play and will ride the bench for 2 or 3 years.  the logic some of you people have is just unbelievable. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
Wrong Avid1010--Dekker could play Big East BB. He can handle the rock and shoot it. Also, not noticeable, HE CAN PLAY "D".
i watched both dekker and novak a lot in high school.  novak ran the point at Brown Deer often.  if you think dekker is going to get to the rim next year, i'd beg to differ, but it's hard to tell what kids will do in Bo's system.  right now he's not strong enough to play D against guys his size in the BEAST...not many kids are.  i think he'll be a very good player for UW, but i don't believe he'd be an impact player for MU next year.  i don't think you can say i'm wrong...only time will tell...and it's certainly a guess as predicting what freshmen will do is near impossible. 

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
So lets all just talk s*** and rip on a kid by saying he wont play at all out of bitterness that he didn't come here.  He comes to MU, everyone would go crazy.  He goes elsewhere, he wont play and will ride the bench for 2 or 3 years.  the logic some of you people have is just unbelievable. 

You forgot transfers. Every transfer out of Marquette would never have played a minute anyway and couldn't score to save his life.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »

Doesn't logic say a kid would get more playing time on a team with top 100 talent compared to a team full of McD AAs? Yes, people would go crazy if he came here, but that doesn't take away from the competition he'll face at UNC.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
You forgot transfers. Every transfer out of Marquette would never have played a minute anyway and couldn't score to save his life.

Who said this? Maymon and Smith were in the rotation as freshmen and were part of the future. Mboa and Roseboro were in over their heads. Erik Williams was somewhere in between.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »
Sorry Avid 1010-----  I should have said Dekker will be a factor at MU in time.
Near end of Soph year. I agree he needs to gets stronger to play in the BE.
But, he does have the talent to play in BUZZ's system.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
Doesn't logic say a kid would get more playing time on a team with top 100 talent compared to a team full of McD AAs? Yes, people would go crazy if he came here, but that doesn't take away from the competition he'll face at UNC.

Not necessarily.  Marquette plays 7 guys and has for the last however many years.  UNC plays 10 guys (when healthy, and even when not healthy it's just "next one in").  So if Marquette's 8th best player would be #10 at UNC, he'd definitely be playing more at UNC.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
Not necessarily.  Marquette plays 7 guys and has for the last however many years.  UNC plays 10 guys (when healthy, and even when not healthy it's just "next one in").  So if Marquette's 8th best player would be #10 at UNC, he'd definitely be playing more at UNC.

You're assuming that Buzz plays seven guys because that's his preference, rather than that's what he feels gives the team the best chance to win given the talent level and development of the rest of the team.  I disagree.  If Buzz had a player that "the other Williams" was willing to play as a part of his rotation at UNC, that kid would be in MU's rotation, guaranteed.  At least until that time when MU consistently recruits as well as UNC.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
Who said this? Maymon and Smith were in the rotation as freshmen and were part of the future. Mboa and Roseboro were in over their heads. Erik Williams was somewhere in between.

FWIW - Reggie Smith was brought in by former Rebel coach Lon Kruger.  Current coach Dave Rice has recruited some great talent and it will be a challenge for Smith to get some playing time in the future.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
FWIW - Reggie Smith was brought in by former Rebel coach Lon Kruger.  Current coach Dave Rice has recruited some great talent and it will be a challenge for Smith to get some playing time in the future.
Reggie only averaged 6 minutes a game including a total of only 7 minutes ( incl 2 DNPs ) over the UNLVs final 6 games.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »
If Jae wants to say it, fine. He's earned that right. When you and your little buddy go there, not so much.

Fans cannot talk about what they see?  You're never going to comment again about the Bears, Marquette, the US Hockey team or anything else because you aren't out there playing and earned the right?

It's a free country and a message board, this is what fans do.  We, as fans, have every right to say it and you have every right to ignore it.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:22:02 PM by Hoopaloop »
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
Agree Tokoto had UW as second choice for politically correct reasons. He knows the pecking order in the state and saying UW was second was smart PR. He had little chance of ever going there and if ever transfers back to WI school I would bet the ranch on MU. His skill set is perfect fit at MU and he knows the players well. I really hope the kid does well at UNC because he is following dream. Cannot fault anyone for following a dream.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »

Fans cannot talk about what they see?  You're never going to comment again about the Bears, Marquette, the US Hockey team or anything else because you aren't out there playing and earned the right?

It's a free country and a message board, this is what fans do.  We, as fans, have every right to say it and you have every right to ignore it.

Of course you have the "right" to say that the guys representing your university choke or pee themselves. You have the "right" to say all kinds of despicable things. Rather than exercising my right to ignore it, though, I choose my "right" to say only an a$$&%@# would talk like that.