Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upset Alert  (Read 8971 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Upset Alert
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
Let's just rain on their parade and be done with it (although they are probably used to rain!)

ThePatton

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »
As someone who wrote an overly positive review of all UW's players, I'll do the opposite and tell you why we're not as good as we think we are:

Isaiah Thomas loves to shoot us out of games. He may be our 2nd best scorer, but he's a high volume shooter who is in constant attack mode, even when his shots aren't falling he will continue to shoot many shots, including plenty of bad ones. When he's not getting calls in the paint he still tries to draw the fouls. He should really learn how to attack and pass out, unfortunately this is a rare occurrence. He's been playing with a broken (?) hand, this is well documented throughout your boards already.

Quincy Pondexter will disappear in games. He will have monster games and follow them up with complete duds. There's really no explanation onto WHY this happens.

Matthew Bryan-Amaning isn't as good as he's played the last 7 games. He's been playing well beyond  anything he's shown this year (although this is the level that we EXPECTED out of him at the beginning of the year)

Justin Holiday is as advertised, won't do anything to hurt us unless he misses his 3 shots he takes a game. But he'll more than makeup for it on the hustle sheet.

Venoy Overton takes bad shots, and is frenetic. He'll take plenty of bad shots and still stay aggressive. He can also rack up fouls and let off on his defensive intensity.

Abdul Gaddy has had plenty of games where he's been over matched and beat up on.

Breshers and Gant are both candidates to foul out in under 8 minutes.

Elston Turner can continue to miss free throws at an alarming rate (for our best shooter) and Suggs can try to get creative instead of staying out on the 3 point line.

UW isn't a top 10 team, they are an underdog for a reason. We as fans like to look at the positives and why things can work out in our favor. I can't wait for this game.

hoopsfan1

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »
As a Husky fan, I will admit that I have not seen one minute of Marquette basketball this year.  All I can tell you is that WA was ranked 15 in the preseason polls for a reason.  It has taken awhile to gel but this team is playing very well and we are not just all about offense.  We have two all Pac 10 defenders and can go 11 deep.  Our big men our very athletic and can cover the perimeter if necessary.   Given their depth, no one every fouls out of the game allowing them to put a lot of pressure on the ball.  Overton is a pest defensively.

Offensively, WA usually owns the glass.  Pondexter is a very good offensive rebounder as is Holliday and Bryan Amaning.  We are not the best three point shooting team but we are not bad.  Pondexter and Thomas can really get to the hoop and finish.

I am not saying UW is the end-all-be-all but they are certainly not your typical 11 seed.  They have 3-4 NBA prospects.

This game will come down to UW defending the three and MU limiting easy transition buckets or easy put backs on the offensive glass.  I also think fouls could play a major role given that MU plays 6 maybe 7 guys.  UW generally gets to the line a lot given their ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop..

We'll see.  Should be a great game. 

Halfbrain11

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
Let's just rain on their parade and be done with it (although they are probably used to rain!)

Not this winter. Thanks to El Niño, it is California that is getting dumped on.  We had a nice sunny & mild winter.  Did you watch the Olympics? 

Speaking of upset alert, this SI "expert" has Washington winning it all:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/2010/ncaa_tourney/brackets/experts/joel_mchale.html

Roscoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
Speaking of upset alert, this SI "expert" has Washington winning it all:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/2010/ncaa_tourney/brackets/experts/joel_mchale.html

The "expert" is Joel McHale, 1995 Washington grad.  Don't like him on "The Soup", therefore his opinion is disregarded!

;)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »
As someone who wrote an overly positive review of all UW's players, I'll do the opposite and tell you why we're not as good as we think we are:

Isaiah Thomas loves to shoot us out of games. He may be our 2nd best scorer, but he's a high volume shooter who is in constant attack mode, even when his shots aren't falling he will continue to shoot many shots, including plenty of bad ones. When he's not getting calls in the paint he still tries to draw the fouls. He should really learn how to attack and pass out, unfortunately this is a rare occurrence. He's been playing with a broken (?) hand, this is well documented throughout your boards already.

Quincy Pondexter will disappear in games. He will have monster games and follow them up with complete duds. There's really no explanation onto WHY this happens.

Matthew Bryan-Amaning isn't as good as he's played the last 7 games. He's been playing well beyond  anything he's shown this year (although this is the level that we EXPECTED out of him at the beginning of the year)

Justin Holiday is as advertised, won't do anything to hurt us unless he misses his 3 shots he takes a game. But he'll more than makeup for it on the hustle sheet.

Venoy Overton takes bad shots, and is frenetic. He'll take plenty of bad shots and still stay aggressive. He can also rack up fouls and let off on his defensive intensity.

Abdul Gaddy has had plenty of games where he's been over matched and beat up on.

Breshers and Gant are both candidates to foul out in under 8 minutes.

Elston Turner can continue to miss free throws at an alarming rate (for our best shooter) and Suggs can try to get creative instead of staying out on the 3 point line.

UW isn't a top 10 team, they are an underdog for a reason. We as fans like to look at the positives and why things can work out in our favor. I can't wait for this game.

Probably the best analysis yet.  I watched that UCLA game on 360 and I saw how they pushed the ball.  They are like 2008 MU where they try and make a fast break on every possession.  And they are at their best running.  And I wonder if their offensive rebounding stats are inflated by trailers getting the offensive boards on a break.  I also saw that they have poor shot selection when the driving lanes were clogged.  I also so how IT and others can drive and make defenses collapse but they did not pass well after the defense collapsed.  UW can definitely win but most likely MU will pull out the win.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
The "expert" is Joel McHale, 1995 Washington grad.  Don't like him on "The Soup", therefore his opinion is disregarded!

;)

I'll take Pudi over McHale any day!!!!

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »
obviously we all want to win, but Washington beating us isn't an upset, obviously.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
I'll take Pudi over McHale any day!!!!

I'd imagine they have a nice bet on the game.  Has anyone read anything?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »
Probably the best analysis yet.  I watched that UCLA game on 360 and I saw how they pushed the ball.  They are like 2008 MU where they try and make a fast break on every possession.  And they are at their best running.  And I wonder if their offensive rebounding stats are inflated by trailers getting the offensive boards on a break.  I also saw that they have poor shot selection when the driving lanes were clogged.  I also so how IT and others can drive and make defenses collapse but they did not pass well after the defense collapsed.  UW can definitely win but most likely MU will pull out the win.

Thanks for watching the 360 game and reporting...I keep meaning to watch it, but haven't had time.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »
Not used to guarding lefties. Are they kidding? We are talking high level college basketball.Thomas will be difficult to guard, but I think it will have a lot more to do with his speed than the fact he's a lefty. That's ridiculous.This game can't get here soon enough.   

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
Thanks for watching the 360 game and reporting...I keep meaning to watch it, but haven't had time.

Ha... the biggest thing I took away from that game is how terrible UCLA is.  I think they missed their first 3 FT's and shot about 4 airballs in the first 15 minutes.  UCLA's shot selection of god awful too.  The one thing you notice about UW right away is they run on every possession.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »
 As much as they supposedly run, it sounds as much hectic as fast paced. I expect our guys to be looking to take charges early and often.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

feedback