Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz In The Lead  (Read 6733 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
The General has taken on a new command.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Buzz In The Lead
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »

There were some comments by a New Orleans fan on the scout site that ripped into Buzz pretty good.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:46:20 PM »
Kowalczyk to leave a head coaching position to become an assistant? I don't care if "it's indiana" THAT is definitely a step down.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »
I think it might be more than Tod K just leaving....he might be pushed out just a bit.  IU is a soft landing for Tod. 

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »
If Buckley just bought a house in Milwaukee I'd venture a guess he is not real happy with Tom right now either.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »
I'm guessing GB didn't offer any extension and he sees the handwriting.  I'm not sure how it works for assistants but is it typical for them to get a relo package.  Pretty sure the HC doesn't have to worry about selling the house but do the IU's of the world extend that to assistants.  How is Buckley viewed in Ind after Ball St?

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 03:21:53 PM »
Take this with a grain of salt, but....

my daughter goes to school with Buckley's daughter.  Yesterday she came home and said that Buckley's daughter said that they were moving to Indiana.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »

There were some comments by a New Orleans fan on the scout site that ripped into Buzz pretty good.

And some pretty good comments from Texas A&M fans praising him.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
I'd a bailed on UNO too.  They haven't been any good since Hot Rod Williams got a shoe box full of cash.

tonyreeder

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
I'd a bailed on UNO too.  They haven't been any good since Hot Rod Williams got a shoe box full of cash.

That was Tulane, chief

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 03:51:58 PM »
If he had stayed at New Orleans -- or been an assistant to Gillespie this year -- would he be a candidate for ANY jobs right now? The answer is no!

There is absolutely no reason for him to be a candidate at Marquette. None.

Let's remember that we have a chance to be a very good team next year!! Why piss it away for the "security" of basically two incoming freshmen?

donsartonelkatdav

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »
Great post PRN.  Big risk of wasting what could be a great senior season for the big three so we secure two recruits- a JUCO and a project at that.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »
That was Tulane, chief.

Williams got the nickname "Hot Rod" as a baby due to his habit of scooting backwards across the floor while making engine-like sounds. Williams had a solid career at Tulane, but it ended in controversy. On March 27, 1985, Williams was arrested for suspicion of point shaving. According to the indictment, Williams accepted at least $8,550 dollars for manipulating point spreads in games against Southern Miss, Memphis State, and Virginia Tech. Williams was charged with sports bribery and conspiracy, but on June 16, 1986, a jury found him not guilty of all five counts.[1]

oops.

Either way they all suck.  MU cannot be held hostage by four 18 year olds who no longer want to play here.

How come Keno (is that his first name) Davis' name isn't mentioned?  He's better than Weber or the clown from Dayton.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:24 PM »
I am beginning to suspect that the "positive" spin of a Williams hire is underway.

The BOTs meeting must be over by now...and suddently there is a groundswell of support on the MU board with all the "contacts" (translated to mean people that are over 50 years old).

Take it for what it's worth. Which might be nothing. I just have a hard time that people would be sincerely excited (!) that our new coach is Buzz Williams.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
UNO makes a semi-decent pizza
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »
But their basketball team hasn't done squat since Earvin Johnson played

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 04:20:50 PM »
I am beginning to suspect that the "positive" spin of a Williams hire is underway.

The BOTs meeting must be over by now...and suddently there is a groundswell of support on the MU board with all the "contacts" (translated to mean people that are over 50 years old).

Take it for what it's worth. Which might be nothing. I just have a hard time that people would be sincerely excited (!) that our new coach is Buzz Williams.

Hey, I take that over 50 comment personally!!

Look, if we cannot get a solid HC interested *(a little distressing on the face of it) then Buzz is a good a choice as any. He may have the best shot to keep the turnips on the truck.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
Let's not give up on Nick Williams.  For the record I have never talked to him, but I did go see him play in the prep tourney and one of the other parents in the gym saw my Marquette shirt and came over to say they were really thrilled he was going to a basketball school, and not being wasted at a football school like Alabama, and that Nick's Dad had always been a huge Marquette fan.  Sure the first reaction from an 18-year-old is to bail, but if they get excited about the new coach maybe they can be "re-recruited."  Agree that the most important thing is that we owe the Three Amigos, if they all stay, we need to give them the best chance to go as far as possible next year.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
I mean no offense about the age thing. But it's far too coincidental that the BOTs has probably adjourned and there are suddenly people on the board (people near the same age as those on the Board) talking about Buzz! Being! The! Answer!

tonyreeder

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 04:25:41 PM »

Agree,  Dodds hadn't posted anything for awhile and then out of the blue posts something positive about Buzz' regional recruiting abilities.   The spin is on.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
I mean no offense about the age thing. But it's far too coincidental that the BOTs has probably adjourned and there are suddenly people on the board (people near the same age as those on the Board) talking about Buzz! Being! The! Answer!

I know you said you're right 100% of the time, if it's Buzz do you care to retract that statement about MU getting great candidates always?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »
I said "almost" 100 percent of the time. And yes, if Marquette hires Buzz Williams as head coach I retract what I said about candidates. 

I honestly think there are high school coaches in Wisconsin more qualifed to coach a veteran team like we'll have next year. How about Diener's uncle?

MarkMiller

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »
PRN ... Travis' uncle is retired from coaching and spends his time in Europe following the professional career of his son, Drake. He knows the game inside and out, but has never recruited or coached in Division I basketball.

Buzz may or may not get the job, but I have been absolutely impressed with his recruiting, his energy, his basketball detail and his knowledge of the game. No, he doesn't have the head-coaching experience of guys like Sean Miller or Tony Bennett. Or even Brad Brownell or Brian Gregory. But he can recruit and in the Big East, that is more than 50 percent of the equation for success.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:05:48 PM by MarkMiller »

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »
You can have Jesus Christ "spin" Buzz himself and there is no way to fill all the holes in Buzz's resume.

Good recruiter...not great (as far as I know...not ONE top ten recruting class)

Only one year at MU

Only one year as a HC...at New Orleans for goodness sakes

Hire a coach that is worthy of a $1.5M salary...let Buzz pay his dues and get some coaching EXPERIENCE somewhere else at $250K first.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:55:53 PM by MUinCO »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »
I just have a hard time that people would be sincerely excited (!) that our new coach is Buzz Williams.

It can't be Williams.  It just can't.  I would put hiring Wiliams on par with Majerus or KO -- both of which would simply be unacceptable.  Surely we can do better.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 05:01:14 PM »
PRN ... Travis' uncle is retired from coaching and spends his time in Europe following the professional career of his son, Drake. He knows the game inside and out, but has never recruited or coached in Division I basketball.

Buzz may or may not get the job, but I have been absolutely impressed with his recruiting, his energy, his basketball detail and his knowledge of the game. No, he doesn't have the head-coaching experience of guys like Sean Miller or Tony Bennett. Or even Brad Brownell or Dick Gregory. But he can recruit and in the Big East, that is more than 50 percent of the equation for success.

Dick Gregory?

;)