[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Flory Re-Opens Recruitment  (Read 16545 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Flory Re-Opens Recruitment
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »
Reggie Rankin @ReggieRankin  ·  4h 4 hours ago
2017 Philip Flory vitals are 6'4.5, 180. CG more of a SG at this stage of his game according to father Mike. One to watch.

Marquette still very interested in Philip Flory who will run with WI Playground Elite on the travel circuit.  @ESPNRNHoops

2017 CG Philip Flory has reopened his recruiting after committing to Buzz Williams & Marquette before the coaching change. Per father Mike.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
Noskowiak reopened his recruiting after Buzz left. Wojo wanted him and got him to recommit and Nick signed his NOI.

I'm not worried about Flory. If he is good enough, Wojo will pursue him and hopefully get him. If he's not good enough, I'm confident Wojo will get somebody better. If he is good enough but decides to go elsewhere, I'm still confident Wojo will find other good guards.

Now that I've given Wojo such a stirring vote of confidence, isn't it time for him to start recruiting grade-school kids that haven't already committed to Buzz? Wojo might want to start looking at 5th-graders or so.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
Oddly enough, it was easy to remove him from the scholarship table :)

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 07:16:09 PM »
Wojo didn't have anything to do with this. Flory called MU. He loves MU, but it might not be the best fit considering the trajectory of the recruiting success and program in general with Wojo. Then again, you never know -- that is the point. I'm told the kid is the definition of gym rat, so his success won't be for lack of effort. Picking a team in 8th grade without knowing the personnel, environment, coach, potential roster, etc. while exciting is obviously short-sighted. He may well end up at MU, but for the next two years he will be able to look at a variety of scenarios, options, coaches, locations, etc. and find the ideal situation for his talents. Pigeonholing your decision simply based on your love of the school is simply not a great strategy. I applaud the family for figuring this out before it's too late. He is a nice player with a smooth shot just like his dad. I wish him well.

I think your analysis is good. My only addition, which I mentioned in prior threads, is that it is likely that Wojo and Company brought up the concept of doing a PG year at a fancy prep school. That is coach speak for saying that they are willing to honor the commitment made by Buzz, but letting the kid know he has some growing to do. This is something that happens a lot in recruiting. The family made the right decision here. Wish him well and hope his game grows and he realizes his dreams.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 08:50:45 PM »
He is young.   Let him re-open his recruiting.   Let us show that we are a little more mature than certain fanbases and refrain from vitriol.   Young Mr. Flory, best of luck to you in the recruiting process.   If you decide that MU is still the best choice for you, awesome. 

Perfectly stated.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
I didnt want him anyway.

Too traditional for you?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:28:52 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 10:25:42 PM »
He is young.   Let him re-open his recruiting.   Let us show that we are a little more mature than certain fanbases and refrain from vitriol.   Young Mr. Flory, best of luck to you in the recruiting process.   If you decide that MU is still the best choice for you, awesome. 

All of this.  He should get to enjoy the recruitment process, and see the team this year and after before deciding how he might fit in.  See how Cohen this year and Noskowiak next year fit into Coach Wojo's system as in-state players.  Good for him.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 07:42:27 AM »
Given the time frame involved, this was more likely than not. Wait, wait, watch, respect the process. There's a light year to go with this kid.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »
Mark Miller reported that Flory took an unofficial visit to Wisconsin yesterday.

https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/534189602001526784

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Well, that's a different story. Wojo must have cooled on him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
Respect the process.   Let the kid be a kid. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
I think your analysis is good. My only addition, which I mentioned in prior threads, is that it is likely that Wojo and Company brought up the concept of doing a PG year at a fancy prep school. That is coach speak for saying that they are willing to honor the commitment made by Buzz, but letting the kid know he has some growing to do. This is something that happens a lot in recruiting. The family made the right decision here. Wish him well and hope his game grows and he realizes his dreams.

Huh?  That makes 0 sense at all.  This isn't a high school senior who is coming in next year.  This is a high school sophomore.  Yes, he has some growing to do, and he has 3 high school basketball seasons to do so.  You don't tell a high school sophomore, "Yeah, you're going to need a 5th year in high school."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 01:07:28 AM »
Wojo didn't have anything to do with this. Flory called MU. He loves MU, but it might not be the best fit considering the trajectory of the recruiting success and program in general with Wojo. Then again, you never know -- that is the point. I'm told the kid is the definition of gym rat, so his success won't be for lack of effort. Picking a team in 8th grade without knowing the personnel, environment, coach, potential roster, etc. while exciting is obviously short-sighted. He may well end up at MU, but for the next two years he will be able to look at a variety of scenarios, options, coaches, locations, etc. and find the ideal situation for his talents. Pigeonholing your decision simply based on your love of the school is simply not a great strategy. I applaud the family for figuring this out before it's too late. He is a nice player with a smooth shot just like his dad. I wish him well.

Thanks for replacing speculation (by me and others) with genuine information.  I appreciate all the detail/insight you were able to provide.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 01:11:36 AM »
Oddly enough, it was easy to remove him from the scholarship table :)

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

I'll never underestimate your pinky again, sir.  Thanks for providing/updating a feature that truly is worth a thousand words.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.