[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will Jamail Jones transfer next year?  (Read 8309 times)

MUChicagofan

Will Jamail Jones transfer next year?
« on: March 23, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
Hey guys, avid reader of this message board but first-time poster...

I don't mean for this to be a negative post, but does anyone else think that Jamail Jones will decide to transfer sometime in the next few weeks?  I view him as this year's Erik Williams; he was a top-100 player out of high school who, though he's shown flashes of what he's capable of in his first two years at MU, is ultimately not a high major player.  I mean, I'm sure he's a great kid and kudos to him if he decides to stick it out and fight for playing time next year, but I think he'll end up transferring to a mid-major school where he'll have a legit shot at some PT.

What do you guys think?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Will Jamail Jones transfer next year?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:58:32 PM »
No. If anything, this junior season is his time to shine.
SS Marquette

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
I think it's fair to contemplate it, but I don't see Jamail leaving.  I really like him and he's a hard worker with good tools to be a contributor.  With DJO gone he's going to have to step up on the offensive end.

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
I don't think so. I also think he can break out this year. He has the potential to hit threes, which is something our offense is lacking next year.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:06:02 PM »
There are going to be shots and minutes available to those willing to put in the effort.  I don't see anyone leaving, but I've got zero inside information.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:13:09 PM »
Jamail-Jake-Todd = zone busting trio? Can TJ shoot the 3?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
It would not surprise me at all. With the frontcourt injuries, and the amount of times Wilson got in foul trouble, Jamail had a lot of opportunities this year.

Just don't think he can hack it at this level.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »
I don't think so...and I sure hope not. Jamail definitely has the ability to hack it at this level, and more importantly, he is a GREAT teammate.

As other have said, there are minutes and points available, and I think Jamail will be one of the players that make a huge step forward. I am guessing he averages 8 PPG next season.

Keep your head up, Jamail.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 12:25:06 AM »
Yes, Mellow is a fantastic teammate and I think thats the difference between him and E Will. That are in a very similar situation after Jamails Sophomore season but the way he gets along and with the relationships he has is what I believe will make him stay. I also see him playing a significant role next year and I only wish him the best.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 12:54:58 AM »
He has the ability, but something's missing. Unless something transformative happens this offseason, I think he's little more than a warm body off the bench.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 01:08:19 AM »
I don't think so...and I sure hope not. Jamail definitely has the ability to hack it at this level.

Just curious where you're seeing this? The two threes against Cincy?

Like Gardner's Snack said, something just isn't there. He may have all the physical tools in the world, but there's obviously some reason he's not playing. And there were minutes to be had this season.

I'd love for him to be a guy that can step in and contribute. His size and speed can cause some big matchup problems. I just don't see it though.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »
I think he stays and shines next year. Looking forward to watching him next two years.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »
It's definitely a possibility.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »
I really like Jamail. Definitely brings energy and a scorer's mentality. I also look forward to Juan's sophomore season.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »
I really like Jamail. Definitely brings energy and a scorer's mentality. I also look forward to Juan's sophomore season.

Where do you think Juan will be playing then?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 09:15:37 AM »
Yes, Mellow is a fantastic teammate and I think that's the difference between him and E Will. That are in a very similar situation after Jamails Sophomore season but the way he gets along and with the relationships he has is what I believe will make him stay. I also see him playing a significant role next year and I only wish him the best.

Erik Williams always appeared to be a great teammate. He was first off the bench cheering when a big play happened. He may have transferred, but don't take away the fact that he was a great teammate. In that regard, I think the parallels to Jamail's situation are very clear.

I hope Jamail stays just like I hoped Erik would, but I won't begrudge them if they leave to pursue more realistic opportunities to see the floor. Personally, I think Mellow, like Erik, has shown moments of solid potential. If he can zone in on those, he can get minutes here.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
Right, Skatastrophy. Despite his slight build, Juan's an inside player. I expect both Vander and Mayo to start in a 3-guard lineup, leaving Jamil up front with Otule (probably). I see Steve Taylor backing up Jamil, so that doesn't leave a spot in the rotation for Juan.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
All this negative speculation (yes, I realize this is a message board) is nonsense.

I see the starting 5 being:

Junior
Vander
Mayo
Jamil
Otule

Bench is going to be interesting, as TJ Taylor seems to be a scorer/combo, Devante brings it, and Steve Taylor is a solid defender in the low post and the true team player.  What can we predict about the freshman to sophomore leaps for Juan and Derek?  Will Jamail Jones gain confidence?  Gonna be awesome to watch!

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
START / BENCH / SWITCHABLES

Junior / DWill / Vander / Mayo / TJ
Mayo / TJ / Jamail / Vander
Vander / Jamail / Juan / Jamil
Jamil / Steve Taylor / Juan / Gardner
OTule / Gardner

I really hope Jamail stays, and I think he will.    Agree with Boone, that Juan is a guy that should play more near the hoop, and Jamail is more of a 2 or 3.  Again, Buzz will have tons of versatility at his disposal, that's why I put multiple guys in multiple slots.  I know we won't have Jae and DJO, but we are going to present major matchup issues for teams because we don't lose anything going to the bench, and we can mix/match big/small/full court/half court about as well as any team around. 

Having said that, we'll be younger, a bit more inexperienced, and we may have a few hiccups, but Buzz will have them playing well at the end of the year.  I very confident we'll be in the NCAA tournament for year 8 in a row. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
START / BENCH / SWITCHABLES

Junior / DWill / Vander / Mayo / TJ
Mayo / TJ / Jamail / Vander
Vander / Jamail / Juan / Jamil
Jamil / Steve Taylor / Juan / Gardner
OTule / Gardner

I really hope Jamail stays, and I think he will.    Agree with Boone, that Juan is a guy that should play more near the hoop, and Jamail is more of a 2 or 3.  Again, Buzz will have tons of versatility at his disposal, that's why I put multiple guys in multiple slots.  I know we won't have Jae and DJO, but we are going to present major matchup issues for teams because we don't lose anything going to the bench, and we can mix/match big/small/full court/half court about as well as any team around. 

Having said that, we'll be younger, a bit more inexperienced, and we may have a few hiccups, but Buzz will have them playing well at the end of the year.  I very confident we'll be in the NCAA tournament for year 8 in a row. 

Jamail is more of a 2/3.  Actually in the pregame warmups at the BC, Jamial works with the guards and Juan with the forwards/centers.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »
I haven't seen Steve Taylor play, but I would expect/hope that Juan has the inside track for the back-up PF min.

Junior/D. Wilson
Mayo/ T.J Taylor/Thomas
Vander/Jamail/Thomas
Jamil/Juan/S. Taylor
Otule/Gardner

I actually really like that roster, but shooting is a huge concern (probably my ONLY concern), which is why I think Jake has a shot to get some minutes. (similar to De De in that he will be used in specific situations).

The FL game showed that in the 1/2 court, MU struggles, and when they do find open shots, you've got to make them count. I don't know if I like the idea of Vander and Junior getting a lot more shots. I think Jae and DJO's shots will have to be distributed amongst the other players.

*Edit* I also am infatuated with the roster potential 2 years from now. I think that team could be top 10 all year and make a deep tourney run.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:24:00 AM by 2002MUalum »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »
Steve Taylor will get minutes, probably what Jamil was getting when they had a healthy frontcourt.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 10:48:07 AM »
I like Jones and he has shown what he can do. After that first game against Mt. Saint Mary's I thought he would have a really good year where he would be high on th depth chart. Not the case but he definately improved from last year. Also remember the ND game where he came up big a few times. Hopefully he stays and turns into a really good player. He has the potential. I wish him the best.

john31

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »
I hope Jamail doesn't transfer but I don't think anyone of us has any real insight into his situation. Going forward I am optimistic even with a relatively young team. Buzz will "coach em up" and I think in absolute terms next years team is deeper that this year's even if Chris and Davonte don't have injuries. Buzz will have a ton of options to go big, fast, or some where in between. Look at athletes on next year's team.... Go Warriors.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
I think the shoulder surgery made it easy for Eric to transfer. He needed time to fully recover from surgery, so that made having to sit out a transfer year an easier decision to make.