[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Uni's again?  (Read 8941 times)

MUfan12

• All American
New Uni's again?
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:00:06 AM »
http://www.cnbc.com/id/31954408

Rumor has it Wade is going to Jordan from Converse. Wonder what that will do (if anything) to MU's Converse relationship.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: New Uni's again?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 06:56:49 AM »
We are still Nike Elite right?  I'd guess the Converse star logo would just switch to the Nike swoosh or jumpman logo.

But wasn't there a certain length on the Converse contract?

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »
It just became offical via jumpman
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4335441
Da Bulls

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 07:42:24 AM »
Our uniforms are about to be even MORE exclusive  ;D

mugrad99

• Team Captain
THREAD HIJACK
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:00:11 AM »
Love the bottom of the article:

Sponsored LinksHeat Fan :........

Avg. Heat IQ = 83

Are you smarter than a Heat player? Take the IQ test to find out!

www.IQlovetest.com/IQ-test

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
God I hope we don't go to Nike gear. They make every team look exactly the same. Our uniforms right now are perfect.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »
God I hope we don't go to Nike gear. They make every team look exactly the same. Our uniforms right now are perfect.

+1

Just cuz Wade leaves Converse doesn't mean MU will.  I thought we had like a 5-year deal with Converse.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »
We are still Nike Elite right?  I'd guess the Converse star logo would just switch to the Nike swoosh or jumpman logo.

But wasn't there a certain length on the Converse contract?

We were Nike Elite before the deal, but that classification ended in 2007.  At that point they became the one and only school to be part of "Brand Wade" as Converse was calling it.  While owned by Nike, that meant that MU was no longer part of the Nike Elite list of schools.

What it means for MU is still to be seen.  There was a new Wade shoe that was supposed to come out in a few weeks, and the players have already had their pictures taken in the old uniforms, so who knows.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »

While they are Nike...Not all of those schools are "Jordan Brand" schools.

Jordan Brand is somewhat exclusive...we would join the likes of Georgetown and UNC if we began to wear it.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »
Easy Solution guys...keep the same gear but switch the converse star logo to the jordan jumpman logo

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »
Just cuz Wade leaves Converse doesn't mean MU will.  I thought we had like a 5-year deal with Converse.

Wade's deal with converse has what? 3 more years on it? As we have seen with this and with Crean... contracts dont mean sh*t.

They are both owned by NIke so it will be interesting to see if they do switch us.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
Considering a lot of the Converse gear at the spirt shop already has Nike tags on it, I dount think it will effect anything except for the star to become a swoosh or jumpman.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 12:56:02 PM »
Considering a lot of the Converse gear at the spirt shop already has Nike tags on it, I dount think it will effect anything except for the star to become a swoosh or jumpman.

I was gonna say the same thing. I feel like a cruise of the Spirit Shop will yield a lot of Nike swoosh merchandise. I feel like the Shop still sells some Golf Apparel by nike?

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »
except for the fact that Jumpman has much better clothing than converse and nike. 
Da Bulls

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 02:11:34 PM »
except for the fact that Jumpman has much better clothing than converse and nike. 

Pretty sure the same 6 year old is make clothing for all three brands.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »
From Twitter-

darrenrovell1 With Wade switch to Jordan, Marquette, his alma mater will follow. 3 minutes ago from web

I think it's just MU, UNC, and GTown on that line now. Good company to be in.

EDIT- Forgot about California.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 02:36:38 PM by MUfan12 »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 02:30:23 PM »
Pretty sure the same 6 year old is make clothing for all three brands.
That's a good point. For a school so concerned with "doing the right thing" with respect to our supposedly offensive nickname, how do they feel about young kids using their tiny little hands to stitch our uniforms together?

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 03:30:06 PM »
That's a good point. For a school so concerned with "doing the right thing" with respect to our supposedly offensive nickname, how do they feel about young kids using their tiny little hands to stitch our uniforms together?

Ok, I rarely post, but read everday... and I just have one question for you PRN?  Have you had a nice BIG cry over the nickname change yet?  I mean a BIIIGGG cry... HUGE?  Because that might make you feel a little better.  I mean honestly, 15 years is a long time to hold something like that in... If you do this, then maybe, just maybe, you'll let a thread go by without bringing it up.

But, if you did have this big cry already... then this has caused you more pain than i think i could ever understand

EDIT: just a simple yes or no will suffice, i dont want to turn this into another stupid nickname debate
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:31:53 PM by MU HelixAir »

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »
See, I was going to compliment PRN on his nearly-superhuman ability to tie the Great Nickname Debate in with completely-unrelated stories.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »
Ok, I rarely post, but read everday... and I just have one question for you PRN?  Have you had a nice BIG cry over the nickname change yet?  I mean a BIIIGGG cry... HUGE?  Because that might make you feel a little better.  I mean honestly, 15 years is a long time to hold something like that in... If you do this, then maybe, just maybe, you'll let a thread go by without bringing it up.

But, if you did have this big cry already... then this has caused you more pain than i think i could ever understand

EDIT: just a simple yes or no will suffice, i dont want to turn this into another stupid nickname debate

You're absolutely right. I'm the only person who is still outraged by it. I am the reason it comes up at nearly every board of trustee meeting. I am the reason they tried to change it back to Warriors a couple years ago. I am the reason our current name is so universally disliked that they actually thought "Gold" would be better. I am the reason that they are hesitant to get merchandise printed with our current name and logo on it because people are ashamed of it. It's all me.

Warrior nickname: Bad
Associating with a company notorious for use of child labor: Good

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
You're absolutely right. I'm the only person who is still outraged by it. I am the reason it comes up at nearly every board of trustee meeting. I am the reason they tried to change it back to Warriors a couple years ago. I am the reason our current name is so universally disliked that they actually thought "Gold" would be better. I am the reason that they are hesitant to get merchandise printed with our current name and logo on it because people are ashamed of it. It's all me.

Warrior nickname: Bad
Associating with a company notorious for use of child labor: Good

haha, i wasn't asking at all about the overall situation.  I was just wondering where you, specifically, were at in the grieving process.  Which i understand is personal, but i thought i would just try to lend some helpful advice to a fellow Marquette fan.  Because there is nothing like a good cry to ease the pain...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:50:10 PM by MU HelixAir »

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
PRN - find me a major company that isn't using child labor and i'll show you a company that is operating in the red.  child labor gets stuff done plain and simple.

i agree with mu Helix... there is not a thread that appears nowadays that doesn't turn into a nickname debate or a TC bash.  even if there was a thread about Adam Smith's Invisible Hand Theory, it would turn into how the invisible hand was controlled by TC and the board of trustees.  give it up PRN... get off your soap box and enjoy what is MARQUETTE BASKETBALL.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
PRN - find me a major company that isn't using child labor and i'll show you a company that is operating in the red.  child labor gets stuff done plain and simple.

Do you think it would be OK to change our team logo to a small, shirtless Vietnamese or Pakistani boy holding a needle and thread in one bloodied hand and spinning a leather basketball on the other?

I think it would be great and Dahmer fans would love it.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
Do you think it would be OK to change our team logo to a small, shirtless Vietnamese or Pakistani boy holding a needle and thread in one bloodied hand and spinning a leather basketball on the other?

I think it would be great and Dahmer fans would love it.

Nice strawman arguement.

Anyways, in all seriousness, you may be interested in knowing that Marquette signed on last year to an anti-sweatshop pact.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/fashion-beauty/sweatshop-free-sweats.html

Recently, Marquette University became the 37th school to adopt the Designated Suppliers Program, under which the institution agrees to contract only with suppliers whose factory workers earn a living wage and have the right to form a union. Other participating institutions include the University of California, University of Wisconsin, Georgetown University, and the University of Washington.
The General has taken on a new command.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
Nice strawman arguement.

Anyways, in all seriousness, you may be interested in knowing that Marquette signed on last year to an anti-sweatshop pact.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/fashion-beauty/sweatshop-free-sweats.html

Recently, Marquette University became the 37th school to adopt the Designated Suppliers Program, under which the institution agrees to contract only with suppliers whose factory workers earn a living wage and have the right to form a union. Other participating institutions include the University of California, University of Wisconsin, Georgetown University, and the University of Washington.

Fantastic!!

I'm not arguing, you boob.

There are some seriously humorless people on this board.