[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:24:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA thoughts  (Read 12290 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: UCLA thoughts
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2020, 11:20:53 PM »
TLDR: You are right that teams that have "multiple 5-or-so-minute scoring droughts" don't usually have excellent looks or excellent gameplans. The thing is, we didn't have multiple 5 or so minute scoring droughts last night, so your logic doesn't apply here. Plus, measuring scoring droughts in minutes is misleading at best.
Ok we had a 3 minute and 4 minute scoring drought. During the 3 minute drought UCLA scored 7 points on 4 possessions. I don’t think measuring droughts in game time is “misleading at best”. It’s literally the stretch of play you can point to and say UCLA won the game. You even said it in your own post.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2020, 11:42:40 PM »
Ok we had a 3 minute and 4 minute scoring drought. During the 3 minute drought UCLA scored 7 points on 4 possessions.

Actually they scored 7 points in 3 possessions. But that's irrelevant to the conversation about Marquette's scoring drought other than making the drought seem worse than it was because UCLA was scoring.

I don’t think measuring droughts in game time is “misleading at best”. It’s literally the stretch of play you can point to and say UCLA won the game. You even said it in your own post.

I mean, you can think that but you would be incorrect. There's a reason why basketball analytics relies on tempo-free stats.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »
And I'm genuinely not trying to pile on Wojo or the coaching staff (this time around).  As I said earlier, our struggles offensively may just be due to the inherent limitations of what this team is.

However, I just cannot accept that we got consistently "excellent looks" off a consistently "excellent gameplan" last night when we had multiple 5-or-so-minute scoring droughts.  Those two ideas just do not coexist unless you're having the unluckiest shooting night in the history of basketball.

Your numerous "misrememberings" about what actually happened last night strain your credibility.

We do agree that the offense needed to be better down the stretch. We disagree that the wide-open looks for Cain and Garcia. I say they were excellent looks, and stats say they were excellent looks, and had they gone in it likely would have changed the game. Unfortunately, they didn't go in; that's basketball.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 12:18:15 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2020, 12:30:03 AM »
Your numerous "misrememberings" about what actually happened last night strain your credibility.

We do agree that the offense needed to be better down the stretch. We disagree that the wide-open looks for Cain and Garcia. I say they were excellent looks, and stats say they were excellent looks, and had they gone in it likely would have changed the game. Unfortunately, they didn't go in; that's basketball.
Numerous misrememberings, come on. Sorry I don’t have the play by play box score pulled up to correct my “5-or-so” to the appropriate 4:10.

You summarized our quarrel appropriately. Until these “excellent looks” are finished with consistency, I won’t concede that they’re “excellent looks” for this particular basketball team.

What is a true excellent look for this team? I don’t know right now. Give me a couple Big East games to decide. But the defense is athletic and capable enough to keep them in games while they’re still trying to figure that out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2020, 12:40:39 AM »
In today's basketball, wide-open 3s for 40%-ish (or better) 3-point shooters are "excellent looks." Period.

Also, the two baby hooks that Garcia took are excellent looks; he has made many of them this season but those didn't go in last night.

I am mostly concerned that sometimes we get dribble happy and stand around watching the dribbler, which leads to late-clock shots (and occasional violations), and sometimes we commit turnovers on what should be pretty routine perimeter passes. When those lead to live-ball breakouts for the opponents, that's doubly bad.

But I think most teams at this level would take wide-open looks by 40% shooters. Through our first 5 1/2 games, we were shooting pretty darn well from behind the arc. I'm not going to say that going 0-11 in one half of one game proves anything different.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2020, 01:53:08 AM »
Cant say ciz its to ******* special i guess. good for u knowing the inside info. ur special. im dumb and u cant share this info cuz it will lead to chaos. colll
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:54:55 AM by Johnny B »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2020, 07:21:52 AM »
5Dollar should probably just log off at this point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2020, 07:52:11 AM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2020, 08:07:57 AM »
Ok we had a 3 minute and 4 minute scoring drought. During the 3 minute drought UCLA scored 7 points on 4 possessions. I don’t think measuring droughts in game time is “misleading at best”. It’s literally the stretch of play you can point to and say UCLA won the game. You even said it in your own post.
Maybe it is time to stop making sh!t up?

"Ok, I'm wrong about everything but my points still stand!"
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
Cant say ciz its to ******* special i guess. good for u knowing the inside info. ur special. im dumb and u cant share this info cuz it will lead to chaos. colll

Anyone got a guess what happened here? Johnny, you feeling okay buddy?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2020, 08:49:58 AM »

Looks like drunk posting, then trying to amend it while still drunk. But just a guess at interpreting 1:53 am posting.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »

I remember my first beer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2020, 08:53:06 AM »

And that pretty much sums things up.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2020, 09:03:50 AM »

Johnny just started his grain-free diet.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
Johnny just started his grain-free diet.

Meta-hysterical....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2020, 09:44:16 AM »
And that's the EDITED version!

And Johnny is my main man.
He's the keeper of the keys,
He'll put your mind at ease,
He's guaranteed to please,
Back by popular demand!

Look around, my little friend,
Jubilation in the land,
Freddie get ready Rock steady
When Johnny strikes up the band!

romey

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2020, 10:38:26 AM »
And that's the EDITED version!

And Johnny is my main man.
He's the keeper of the keys,
He'll put your mind at ease,
He's guaranteed to please,
Back by popular demand!

Look around, my little friend,
Jubilation in the land,
Freddie get ready Rock steady
When Johnny strikes up the band!

Love Warren!  Rest his soul.

panda

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »
we beat Wisco so the rest of the season is playing with house money. Assuming the roster comes back next year we will stomp.
Cain not coming back would be fine.

Our super bowl

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
5Dollar should probably just log off at this point.
I’m sorry that you’re so angry all the time.. Truly.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2020, 11:11:43 AM »
I think some posters have trouble looking at one game vs. the whole season.

We all want MU to be better than they have been under Wojo and I have no problem with that. However, I see no reason to go off the wall when we lose a game we were not favored to win. Some posters are not able to recognize that team that was suppose to win won. I assume we are going go through all of this again, if we lose at Creighton. A little hint here, we are expected to lose that game. Hopefully, we will win, but the odds are we will lose.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
I think some posters have trouble looking at one game vs. the whole season.

We all want MU to be better than they have been under Wojo and I have no problem with that. However, I see no reason to go off the wall when we lose a game we were not favored to win. Some posters are not able to recognize that team that was suppose to win won. I assume we are going go through all of this again, if we lose at Creighton. A little hint here, we are expected to lose that game. Hopefully, we will win, but the odds are we will lose.

MU really has no shot against Creighton, to many of there players can hit three's and MU likes to double and triple the post. Have to stay on there shooters and MU
leaves to many open shots.  In a shoot out in the past, MU had scorers, this year not so much.  Will not be able to keep up, minimum of a10 plus point loss.  If Wojo
wants to keep the score in the 70's, MU will have to play error free ball.  Not sure about that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2020, 01:17:37 PM »
MU really has no shot against Creighton, to many of there players can hit three's and MU likes to double and triple the post. Have to stay on there shooters and MU
leaves to many open shots.  In a shoot out in the past, MU had scorers, this year not so much.  Will not be able to keep up, minimum of a10 plus point loss.  If Wojo
wants to keep the score in the 70's, MU will have to play error free ball.  Not sure about that.

Of course we have a shot. Just have to play really well.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »

I also think we will probably lose to Creighton, but...

MU is 41st in the country in 3P FG defense.  Our opponents are only shooting 26.5% from deep.  If we can hold Creighton to 26% from 3, we've got a good chance to win.

(Several of the 40 teams ahead of us have played only 1 or 2 games.  IPFW is the leader nationally...1 game...their opponent shot 1-28) 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2020, 01:37:14 PM »
wow... no more bottom shelf booze for me  :-X

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »
I would like to see the defense a bit more compact with some switching vs. Creighton. If they hit a lot of off the dribble 3s you can deal with that. If we do a lot of hard hedging they'll probably be able to beat our rotations with quick passes. That's where they've excelled in the games I've seen.

Hope MU slows the pace down quite a bit but haven't seen anything to indicate that they will.