'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Has anyone heard anything about upcoming interviews?  (Read 32822 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Re: Has anyone heard anything about upcoming interviews?
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 01:05:16 PM »
This is where I’m at.  There are too many coaching failures to layer on a constraint that  the coach is someone that will be here for the rest of their career/forever.

It took Wojo's tenure to help me get over the fact that if our next coach has a great run, other jobs will come calling for him. I'll take the great run.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »
PhillyCoach?

No, the son of a former MU player who is very well connected to the program.  He lives in Milwaukee.   The Philly coach was a great resource on the Newbill situation.  He probably doesn't have much insight into this one. :)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 01:11:20 PM »
A Bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 01:12:43 PM »
Burger isn't Dodds.  Pretty much the only thing they agree on is the use of ellipses.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2021, 01:13:27 PM »
It took Wojo's tenure to help me get over the fact that if our next coach has a great run, other jobs will come calling for him. I'll take the great run.

I don’t know...sustained mediocrity does bring a certain stability.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 01:18:42 PM »
A Bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush.

Wil Bush assistant coach from Point Loma Nazarene? (yes, one L)

Larry Bird?  hard to believe.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2021, 01:22:24 PM »
This is where I'm at too. Moser, to me, is in the Few/Wright/Majerus coaching mold (long term program-building, insane precision fundamentals), and Gates is in the Hamilton/Buzz mold (rangy switchable athletes that play a great team-focused style on both ends of the court). I think we'd be very happy with the results if we hired either one of them.

I'm in the Few/Wright/Majerus coaching mold camp. Moser is getting the job done at the highest level, Gates?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:24:47 PM by muwarrior69 »

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2021, 01:34:04 PM »
When you compare Gates’s resume to Moser’s it’s not even close.  Gates only has a two year track record.  That said if it’s Gates I’d support him, but he’s a big gamble.

If Marquette were to hire Gates, he'd come to Marquette with more head coaching experience than Majerus, KO, Crean, Brent, and Steve combined. He's no more of a gamble than any of those guys.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

burger

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2021, 01:41:23 PM »
Burger isn't Dodds.  Pretty much the only thing they agree on is the use of ellipses.

We actually agree on Moser........But Murph had to convince him.....

I got my name over there from 247 taking over Dodds original site and it was to much of a pain in the butt to change a name from being on the Chicago Bears forum originally.....

Like Dodds would be caught dead posting here considering the history.....LOL....

When you mention this site.....I guarantee he gets angina......

He does have good "MU connects" though.....

PS.....If you guys have been around for some of these coaching changes.....You have to "read" the "spin" that comes out of the school's administration to try and placate the alums.....

We are slightly different and not quite as blatant.....But before Crean was hired at Indiana.....I two day marketing blitz hit the PEEGS/247 sties.....Just part of it.....SPIN....SPIN.....SPIN.....

A lot of SPIN on Gates.....That being said.....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:47:00 PM by burger »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2021, 01:44:31 PM »
I believe Gates will be the next coach.

He checks all the boxes with the exception of a lengthy tenure as a head coach. But he is a head coach, not an assistant.

-Former college player and was from Chicago

-Grad Assistant at MU, yes only a year but he was there.

-Assistant at FSU for 10 years.  Learned under Hamilton at a big school which had numerous NCAA Tournament appearances.  Was the lead recruiter at FSU, so he checks the box of having ties with the AAU circuits.  He probably knew Carton, Garcia and Lewis from the AAU circuit scene and they know him. You can google his former FSU players and see what they said about him ,especially some NBA players.

-Head coach experience.  Some will guess on that experience, but he was Coach of the Year and his players really like him.

-No baggage.

-Afro American Coach

-Gates is I believe 41, so he is younger than the other candidates being discussed.  I saw it with Boynton at Oklahoma State and how the players were reacting with him.  It was just different and they actually looked like they were having fun.

- No players have left yet and no recruits have decommitted subsequent to Wojo leaving.  Maybe Scholl told them all, "Listen guys, its going to take a few weeks, but you guys are really going to like our new coach, so just hold on and see".
Whether he hinted at whom that may be, no one here will know.

-Scholl said he was looking for a current/former head coach, with no baggage and that diversity was going the play a role in the hiring process.  All the Scholl boxes checked off.  Now, if granted an interview and he bombs, that's another story. 

Hope I am right, seems like a nice fit.  But when the new coach is hired, no one will be statisfied.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »
We actually agree on Moser........But Murph had to convince him.....

I got my name over there from 247 taking over Dodds original site and it was to much of a pain in the butt to change a name from being on the Chicago Bears forum originally.....

Like Dodds would be caught dead posting here considering the history.....LOL....

When you mention this site.....I guarantee he gets angina......

He does have good "MU connects" though.....

Awhile ago Dodds actually posted here b*thing at pretty much everyone on this site for mocking him. It's been quite a few years but it cracks me up.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4887
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:49:39 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
Gates also has NBA staff experience with the Clips.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »
-Head coach experience.  Some will guess on that experience, but he was Coach of the Year both seasons he's been a head coach and his players really like him.

Fixed.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2021, 02:46:15 PM »

He checks all the boxes with the exception of a lengthy tenure as a head coach. But he is a head coach, not an assistant.

-Assistant at FSU for 10 years.  Learned under Hamilton at a big school which had numerous NCAA Tournament appearances.  Was the lead recruiter at FSU, so he checks the box of having ties with the AAU circuits.  He probably knew Carton, Garcia and Lewis from the AAU circuit scene and they know him. You can google his former FSU players and see what they said about him ,especially some NBA players.

-Head coach experience.  Some will guess on that experience, but he was Coach of the Year and his players really like him.

-No baggage.

-Afro American Coach

-Gates is I believe 41, so he is younger than the other candidates being discussed.  I saw it with Boynton at Oklahoma State and how the players were reacting with him.  It was just different and they actually looked like they were having fun.

- No players have left yet and no recruits have decommitted subsequent to Wojo leaving.  Maybe Scholl told them all, "Listen guys, its going to take a few weeks, but you guys are really going to like our new coach, so just hold on and see".

-Scholl said he was looking for a current/former head coach, with no baggage and that diversity was going the play a role in the hiring process.  All the Scholl boxes checked off.  Now, if granted an interview and he bombs, that's another story. 

Hope I am right, seems like a nice fit.  But when the new coach is hired, no one will be statisfied.

Nice summary.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2021, 02:47:37 PM »
I won’t believe it’s Gates or Moser until CSU17 or LUC17 comes on here blasting us for even thinking their coach is leaving.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2021, 02:50:35 PM »

-No baggage.

-Afro American Coach

Make it happen Bill!  Let's go get him, looks like a good shot to take
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2021, 02:59:10 PM »
Make it happen Bill!  Let's go get him, looks like a good shot to take

If he his not announced by the end of the week is the AD doing his due diligence or is it that Gates is not his top choice?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »
If he his not announced by the end of the week is the AD doing his due diligence or is it that Gates is not his top choice?

I would guess they are waiting to formally interview Moser if he’s interested.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2021, 03:06:19 PM »

My guess is Gates is a top choice for us and we are for him as well.

But still wanna give some due diligence to guys like Moser who could interview soon.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2021, 03:07:00 PM »
For what it's worth on Loyola's board there's a guy saying Moser's agreed to interview. A few posters have mentioned that our opening worries them but the only guy with a "source" just said he agreed to interview.
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2021, 03:11:24 PM »
For what it's worth on Loyola's board there's a guy saying Moser's agreed to interview. A few posters have mentioned that our opening worries them but the only guy with a "source" just said he agreed to interview.

Yeah, I think he would be pretty silly to not at least interview.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2021, 03:13:37 PM »

who knew Loyola even had a message board

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2021, 03:17:44 PM »

I usually check out the board of high major opponents before we play them to see their perspective. Loyola's board actually is better than the vast majority of boards I've seen.

http://www.ramblermania.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:22:24 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2021, 03:18:26 PM »
My guess is Gates is a top choice for us and we are for him as well.

But still wanna give some due diligence to guys like Moser who could interview soon.

Why not Depaul. He's a Chicago guy, no? Especially if they can outbid us.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2021, 03:18:55 PM »

LUCSCOOP
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback