collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Your thoughts on NFL rules after scoring a touchdown.  (Read 5940 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Your thoughts on NFL rules after scoring a touchdown.
« on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/nfl-roger-goodell-redskins-eagles-vernon-davis-excessive-celebration-rules-call-video

This one seems ridiculous.

I was watching my Giants yesterday and Beckham scored the winning touchdown; as he exited the end zone he took his helmet off and was called for unsportsman like conduct. I guess that is in the eye of the official I don't know, but it seems to me the players can't show any emotion on the field at all after a great play. No wonder interest in the game is on the decline.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Your thoughts on NFL rules after scoring a touchdown.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
I thought removing helmet in the field of play is always a penalty.

Or is that just college?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:37:43 AM »
No
Fun
League

Let them celebrate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:42:30 AM »
I thought removing helmet in the field of play is always a penalty.

Or is that just college?

Not sure exactly what the rule says, but Beckham was totally beyond the outside of the end zone when he took his helmet off, so he was no more "in the field of play" than a guy standing on the sideline.

I can maybe see it within the field, where you might be face to face with opposing players.  But he was past the end zone and facing only Giants fans. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 12:21:35 PM »
It's all just a historical remnant of the stoic and somber "act like you've been there" narrative. 

No.  It's sports.  Sports are fun.  Have fun.  Shoot an arrow.  Twerk a little.  Do a group dance.  Just don't direct it at your opponent.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
It's all just a historical remnant of the stoic and somber "act like you've been there" narrative. 

No.  It's sports.  Sports are fun.  Have fun.  Shoot an arrow.  Twerk a little.  Do a group dance.  Just don't direct it at your opponent.

Players need to show a little more respect. Just drop to a knee after you score and thank God for loving your team and hating the bad guys.

And then they should have to bow to the flag on their way back to the sidelines.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 01:10:53 PM »

I completely agree with the addition....as long as it doesn't slow down the game.  if the refs keep the clock running and some dback want's to celebrate for 15 seconds, let him.

On the helmet thing - my (admittedly cynical) memory is that it was motivated by not wanting to increase a players personal brand i.e. face recognition for endorsements, at the expense of the league brand i.e. just seeing the team logo on the helmet.  again, could've been in a cynical hallucination.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
I completely agree with the addition....as long as it doesn't slow down the game.  if the refs keep the clock running and some dback want's to celebrate for 15 seconds, let him.

Then you have head coaches calling long celebration dances to kill the clock.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 01:29:34 PM »
Then you have head coaches calling long celebration dances to kill the clock.

No comprende.

If it is after a score, why would the clock be running anyway.

If it is after a single play, the clock is either gonna run or not based on the previous play. Still only a specific amount of time to run the next play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
Players need to show a little more respect. Just drop to a knee after you score and thank God for loving your team and hating the bad guys.

And then they should have to bow to the flag on their way back to the sidelines.

They are working on planting a chip in the athletes' brains. Then, if they even think that they are having a little fun, the penalty flag will fly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »
They are working on planting a chip in the athletes' brains. Then, if they even think that they are having a little fun, the penalty flag will fly.

Going to be tough as this is Gronk's head 24/7:

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
Really proud and impressed that nobody popped up with "we need more players like Barry Sanders just handing the ball off!"  Its sports, sports are fun, let them have fun.

Also, anyone who has seen a picture of Sanders in his post NFL life has realized that his handing the football to the ref wasn't some classy gesture, he's really just a dull and emotionless football robot.  An NFL dream!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »

I was taught and adhered to the "act like you've been there before" protocol - it didn't (for me) make sports the least bit stoic or somber. The only reason (we were taught) to flip the bat, jog slowly around the bases, stand at home plate and "admire" your long ball, group dance in the end zone, etc. was precisely TO show up your opponent. You expected (and usually received) retribution for what was considered bad sportsmanship.

But I realize sports are different today - on the professional level it's a millionaires club and fraternization (even DURING games) and individual celebrations (sometimes for very minimal accomplishment) are the norm. And the pros set the standard for the amateur athletes. Good or bad? Celebratory or mocking? Eye of the beholder. Bothered me when it first started to become common practice. Doesn't anymore.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
I was taught and adhered to the "act like you've been there before" protocol - it didn't (for me) make sports the least bit stoic or somber. The only reason (we were taught) to flip the bat, jog slowly around the bases, stand at home plate and "admire" your long ball, group dance in the end zone, etc. was precisely TO show up your opponent. You expected (and usually received) retribution for what was considered bad sportsmanship.

But I realize sports are different today - on the professional level it's a millionaires club and fraternization (even DURING games) and individual celebrations (sometimes for very minimal accomplishment) are the norm. And the pros set the standard for the amateur athletes. Good or bad? Celebratory or mocking? Eye of the beholder. Bothered me when it first started to become common practice. Doesn't anymore.

+1 and I'm not an "old timer."  There are obviously situations where emotions are going to take over, players will get fired up, etc.  But when someone gets all pumped up about a play you see on a nightly basis?  Pretty lame.

I've always been one who's thought that getting all emotional over something fairly routine just tells your opponent "You're better than me and I know it so when I 'win' a battle I get pretty jazzed up about it."  I've always liked the athletes who were just steady.  The Kawhi Leonards of the world.  Just a personal preference.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:13:51 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
I was much more firey in practice than in games. Volleyball id constantly be talking to my teammates during drills or through the net, especially if I blocked someone. (I was a 5'9" setter, I had no business blocking anyone) In softball if I had a bad at bat in practice, I would throw my bat, never did during a game though. The one exception was I would get pissed when i wasnt bowling well during a match, cause only you can really pick yourself up.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 05:00:58 PM »
I miss Joe Horn.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
These kids today with their showy and excessive celebrations.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
+1 and I'm not an "old timer."  There are obviously situations where emotions are going to take over, players will get fired up, etc.  But when someone gets all pumped up about a play you see on a nightly basis?  Pretty lame.

I've always been one who's thought that getting all emotional over something fairly routine just tells your opponent "You're better than me and I know it so when I 'win' a battle I get pretty jazzed up about it."  I've always liked the athletes who were just steady.  The Kawhi Leonards of the world.  Just a personal preference.

Kawhi is boring.  Good.   But boring.

Give me Whiteshoes any day of the week.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 08:10:47 PM »
Goodell is a putz.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »

Kawhi is boring.  Good.   But boring.

Give me Whiteshoes any day of the week.

I love watching Kawhi. Takes right after Pop, and I love Pop.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »

You forgot to include Mark Gastineau, Harold Carmichael and, hell, every Packer who does the Lambeau Leap.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »

I'm 68. Your examples are all from long after my coaches taught me sportsmanship/respect for one's opponent - so what's your point?

Regardless, I'll absolutely stipulate that celebrating TDs in the NFL by a select few players dates back to the 70s. As stated previously, it doesn't bother me. Celebrating a 4 yard catch for a first down or a tackle for a 2 yard loss while trailing by 17 points in the 3rd quarter? Smacks of WWE and not real sports to me.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:12:37 PM by Lennys Tap »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:54 PM »

Some people watch hockey for the hockey, some watch for the fights. I think professional sports are exciting for what transpires before the whistle blows. That's boring to some. They watch for what happens after the play is dead. To each his own.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »

Pop is anything but boring.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 11:38:55 PM »
I'm 68. Your examples are all from long after my coaches taught me sportsmanship/respect for one's opponent - so what's your point?

Regardless, I'll absolutely stipulate that celebrating TDs in the NFL by a select few players dates back to the 70s. As stated previously, it doesn't bother me. Celebrating a 4 yard catch for a first down or a tackle for a 2 yard loss while trailing by 17 points in the 3rd quarter? Smacks of WWE and not real sports to me.

My point simply is that players celebrating is not anything new. It's not as you said, an example of sports "being different today." And a select few players? Oh, come on. TD celebrations were team productions back in the day.
I'll simply disagree with the stance that celebrating a tackle makes football akin to the WWE.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 11:39:30 PM »
Pop is anything but boring.

Agreed. And so is Kawhi.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 12:23:23 AM »
My point simply is that players celebrating is not anything new. It's not as you said, an example of sports "being different today." And a select few players? Oh, come on. TD celebrations were team productions back in the day.
I'll simply disagree with the stance that celebrating a tackle makes football akin to the WWE.

I didn't say it was new. Ever. I said sports are different today than they were when I was taught the game. They are, and that's fact, not opinion. It went from celebrations being universally considered to be poor sportsmanship to where we are today. They're also different today from the 70s and 80s, when some players celebrated touchdowns. Today there are celebrations for TDs, sacks, first downs, passes that are broken up, tackles, etc. Celebrating the ordinary rings hollow and phony to me, which brings to mind (for me) the WWE. Fine that you disagree with the opinion expressed in my final sentence. Not so fine to pull a few words out of context and quote them  to distort facts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
I didn't say it was new. Ever. I said sports are different today than they were when I was taught the game. They are, and that's fact, not opinion. It went from celebrations being universally considered to be poor sportsmanship to where we are today. They're also different today from the 70s and 80s, when some players celebrated touchdowns. Today there are celebrations for TDs, sacks, first downs, passes that are broken up, tackles, etc. Celebrating the ordinary rings hollow and phony to me, which brings to mind (for me) the WWE. Fine that you disagree with the opinion expressed in my final sentence. Not so fine to pull a few words out of context and quote them  to distort facts.

I guess life is going to be boring for you without watching any sports. Either that, or you'll be grumpy all the time as you watch today's unsportsmanlike jocks celebrate.

I like the games, I like the big moments and I usually like the celebrations big and small.

Life is short ... we all should celebrate whenever we can.

Hell, right now I am doing the Scoopy Shuffle after having written this outstanding post!!!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
After the McCringleberry incident, I no longer have anything to say on the subject of excessive celebration.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

So your stance is that sports are different in 2016 than in 1966?
Way to go out on a limb.

There weren't celebrations for sacks, first downs, etc. in the 70s and 80s?
I'd suggest you're viewing the glorious past when men were men and football players were stoic automatons through rose-colored glasses.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
The worst part is the league is very hypocritical and super inconsistent with this stuff. 

Week 1, Antonio Brown was fined and flagged for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ8Pepk39es

Week 2, Emmanuel Sanders did this and was neither fined nor flagged for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEJTSRY3LgU

Week 4, Antonio Brown was fined and flagged for this:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/782749749371731968   - Oh, and that's the NFL official twitter account including his "illegal" dance that he was fined for in that clip

The NFL Sirius twitter account specifically tweeted the video of his dance moves with the caption "Dance Time" - it was several days before that tweet was deleted.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
Forget the player celebrations... I'm getting kind of sick of the unnecessary and annoying PA celebrations.  For example, that damn horn at the Vikings game.

"Peterson to the 41.  First down, Vikings."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Bridgewater to the 21.  Injury on the play."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Peterson 2 yard gain.  Official timeout for measurement."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Bud Light and lutefisk are now available at all concession stands."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Will all the owners of various mid-90s Chevrolet Cavaliers with University of Dayton window clings please report to the Sheriff's Station."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Plumbing staff, please report to urinal #249 for de-clogging."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"As a reminder to all fans, shuttles to Shakopee will be departing every 3 minutes following the conclusion of the game."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »
I tuned in to see what Chad Ochocinco would do if he scored. I enjoyed the Mile High Salute. As long as it's not at an opponent, I don't really care.

I think the NFL uses Favre running off the field with his helmet off in Super Bowl XXXI in their promotional material, which would be a penalty. I saw a gif or cartoon the NFL was promoting of Brown dancing, after he was penalized and fined. Seems a little backwards.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »
I guess life is going to be boring for you without watching any sports. Either that, or you'll be grumpy all the time as you watch today's unsportsmanlike jocks celebrate.

I like the games, I like the big moments and I usually like the celebrations big and small.

Life is short ... we all should celebrate whenever we can.

Hell, right now I am doing the Scoopy Shuffle after having written this outstanding post!!!

Dead on, 82. When my crushingly boring life becomes so boring that even a bore like me can no longer stand it - then and only then do I turn to sports. And of course that just makes things worse, because I'm too old and stupid to understand the excitement in a second string defensive end standing over a sacked QB and celebrating as his team trails 31-0 early in the 4th quarter. And because I'm so confused, I likely get a bit grumpy (happens with old people, doncha know).

So I seek a bit of solace in my "safe space" at Scoop and what happens? You remind me a) how miserable I am and b) how happy, good, smart and downright celebratory you are. And then comes your dance as I lay prostrate, cowering at your feet, followed by you spiking the metaphorical football off my head. I'm not trying to put a damper on your self congratulatory celebration, Mike. You've earned it. But a broken man lies at your feet. Maybe a hand up, a slight show of sportsmanship next time?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
Dead on, 82. When my crushingly boring life becomes so boring that even a bore like me can no longer stand it - then and only then do I turn to sports. And of course that just makes things worse, because I'm too old and stupid to understand the excitement in a second string defensive end standing over a sacked QB and celebrating as his team trails 31-0 early in the 4th quarter. And because I'm so confused, I likely get a bit grumpy (happens with old people, doncha know).

So I seek a bit of solace in my "safe space" at Scoop and what happens? You remind me a) how miserable I am and b) how happy, good, smart and downright celebratory you are. And then comes your dance as I lay prostrate, cowering at your feet, followed by you spiking the metaphorical football off my head. I'm not trying to put a damper on your self congratulatory celebration, Mike. You've earned it. But a broken man lies at your feet. Maybe a hand up, a slight show of sportsmanship next time?

This is awesome.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »

"Will all the owners of various mid-90s Chevrolet Cavaliers with University of Dayton window clings please report to the Sheriff's Station."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »

that was cool lenny!  and right on! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
Forget the player celebrations... I'm getting kind of sick of the unnecessary and annoying PA celebrations.  For example, that damn horn at the Vikings game.

"Peterson to the 41.  First down, Vikings."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Bridgewater to the 21.  Injury on the play."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Peterson 2 yard gain.  Official timeout for measurement."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Bud Light and lutefisk are now available at all concession stands."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"Plumbing staff, please report to urinal #249 for de-clogging."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

"As a reminder to all fans, shuttles to Shakopee will be departing every 3 minutes following the conclusion of the game."
-Ba-roooooooooooooo

That sound always reminds me of a broken Model-T horn. 

-Ba-rooooooooooooo-ga...with the "ga" part not working.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »

Sorry for the metaphorical spike, Lenny.

I hope that right now you can feel my metaphorical hug!

Hang in there, young man.