collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 World Cup Thread  (Read 28591 times)

panda

• All American

panda

• All American
Re: 2022 World Cup Thread
« Reply #552 on: December 13, 2022, 04:41:52 PM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #553 on: December 13, 2022, 04:50:48 PM »

The quoted and your point #2 is not some grand conspiracy.  Adam Schefter does it with the NFL.  Writers do it with the NBA, even moreso when Stern was around, MLB, etc...  Favorable and deferential coverage means access and scoops and perks. 

But serious question, both to Pakuni and Jesu...look at the hiring of Berhalter.  Look back to the stories about candidates at the time, including Lopetegui who actually approached US Soccer himself.  I don't know how anyone can look at the circumstances of Berhalter's hiring and go "nothing to see here, this is a well run Federation committed to winning a WC.  This is an incredible thread highlighting it...

https://twitter.com/FootyMoments21/status/1600210519889018881

Ironically, I had read that thread a few days ago and discussed with other soccer friends.

As I posted earlier, the hiring of GGG was, at best, poor in its transparency

tower912

• All American
« Reply #554 on: December 13, 2022, 04:51:50 PM »
Argentina looked dominant today.   Can France break through the Moroccan defense?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #555 on: December 13, 2022, 04:58:32 PM »

Ironically, I had read that thread a few days ago and discussed with other soccer friends.

As I posted earlier, the hiring of GGG was, at best, poor in its transparency

Yea it was more for Pak.  I'm not trying to pretend I'm unbiased against Berhalter, but I'm also baffled anyone thinks the USSF is on the up and up and has been worthy of the benefit of the doubt for a long time.

Argentina looked dominant today.   Can France break through the Moroccan defense?

I don't know if I would agree.  Argentina were the better team cause they were clinical in execution, but Croatia outshot them and maintained more possession.  Croatia were on the front foot and looked more dangerous all the way up until Messi's PK.  And while the second goal was a brilliantly executed counter attack, Croatia had it covered and the goal was rather flukey.

So I think Argentina was very deserving of the result and the outcome, I don't think it was truly dominating like Brazil over SK or England over Senegal.  They got some breaks in the first half and then controlled the match after halftime.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #556 on: December 13, 2022, 04:59:24 PM »
“Googles burying head in sand”

The point keeps zooming over your head.
Conspiracy is not synonymous with false, panda.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #557 on: December 13, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »
Yea it was more for Pak.  I'm not trying to pretend I'm unbiased against Berhalter, but I'm also baffled anyone thinks the USSF is on the up and up and has been worthy of the benefit of the doubt for a long time.

Can you point out where I said or even implied this?

panda

• All American
« Reply #558 on: December 13, 2022, 05:13:18 PM »
Can you point out where I said or even implied this?

Point number 1 in your 5 point manifesto earlier.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #559 on: December 13, 2022, 05:16:17 PM »

No doubt there was/is corruption in USSF. Look at gulati alone.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #560 on: December 13, 2022, 05:17:42 PM »
jwags, did you think for one nano-second that Croatia could win?  After the first few minutes, Argentina was inevitable.  Croatia possessed the ball but never sustained a threat.  The only two questions were final margin and why leave Messi in with a big lead?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #561 on: December 13, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »
Point number 1 in your 5 point manifesto earlier.

Not close.

panda

• All American
« Reply #562 on: December 13, 2022, 05:30:37 PM »
Not close.

Sorry I misunderstood you. Can you clarify your original point ?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #563 on: December 13, 2022, 05:31:54 PM »
jwags, did you think for one nano-second that Croatia could win?  After the first few minutes, Argentina was inevitable.  Croatia possessed the ball but never sustained a threat.  The only two questions were final margin and why leave Messi in with a big lead?

I'll give it a go, Tower. Argentina were dominant and Croatia never really had a chance. Argentina did to Croatia what the Netherlands did to the US; that is, let them/us think we had a chance and had opportunities, but really just baited them/us into their traps.

It was actually about the most boring game of this entire Cup. I sure hope tomorrow is better.

How about all you others...what did you think about today's game?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #564 on: December 13, 2022, 05:37:18 PM »
Sorry I misunderstood you. Can you clarify your original point ?

Sure.
Wags claiming that Berhalter was hired "for no other reason" than his brother and loyalty to "inner goals" is suggestive of a conspiracy. To wit, Berhalter's hiring was in furtherance of a secret plan - or at least unspoken plan - to do something he views as harmful, in this case sacrificing the national team's potential to prop up MLS and boost the federation's revenues.
I would suggest this is untrue. But even if it were, it's still a conspiracy.

panda

• All American
« Reply #565 on: December 13, 2022, 05:55:15 PM »
Sure.
Wags claiming that Berhalter was hired "for no other reason" than his brother and loyalty to "inner goals" is suggestive of a conspiracy. To wit, Berhalter's hiring was in furtherance of a secret plan - or at least unspoken plan - to do something he views as harmful, in this case sacrificing the national team's potential to prop up MLS and boost the federation's revenues.

Most of that is true

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #566 on: December 13, 2022, 05:58:02 PM »
Most of that is true

Maybe. I don't know. Neither do you. Or Wags.
I have an old friend pretty high up in the USMNT hierarchy. Maybe I'll ask him some day.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #567 on: December 13, 2022, 06:00:21 PM »
Sure.

Your only arguments to the alternative seem to be acting like we’re crazy and implying it’s far fetched.  Like “let me be contrarian to the guys who passionately believe something negative about US soccer, even though they present ample evidence. Cause of Occams Razor or something”

You keep mocking everything we say about the circumstances about Berhalter’s hiring without a word of support for why it would be anything less than questionable at best.

Look at the thread I posted, none of that was baseless speculation or conspiracy theory

panda

• All American
« Reply #568 on: December 13, 2022, 06:33:18 PM »
Maybe. I don't know. Neither do you. Or Wags.
I have an old friend pretty high up in the USMNT hierarchy. Maybe I'll ask him some day.

I mean a lot of it is well established points you’re refusing to acknowledge because you don’t want to agree with us.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #569 on: December 13, 2022, 06:34:37 PM »
Your only arguments to the alternative seem to be acting like we’re crazy and implying it’s far fetched.  Like “let me be contrarian to the guys who passionately believe something negative about US soccer, even though they present ample evidence. Cause of Occams Razor or something”

You keep mocking everything we say about the circumstances about Berhalter’s hiring without a word of support for why it would be anything less than questionable at best.

Look at the thread I posted, none of that was baseless speculation or conspiracy theory

Of course it's a conspiracy theory. Like all good conspiracy theories, it mixes known facts with pure speculation that bolsters the theory, and ignores any other logical inference that casts doubt on the theory. It's Conspiracy Theory 101.
For example, Jay hiring Earnie Stewart is a known fact. Jay hiring Stewart because he knew that Stewart would hire Gregg as national team coach is speculation.
Or, Gregg giving MLS players time with the national team is a known fact. Gregg giving MLS players time with the national team primarily as a means to promote MLS (as opposed to, right or wrong, thinking it was the best way to win) is speculation.
Or, Jordan Morris and Aaron Long were selected for the World Cup roster is a known fact. Jordan Morris and Aaron Long were selected for the World Cup roster over more deserving players because they come from larger MLS markets is speculation.

I don't see how this could be any more clear as conspiracy theory. The guy is literally accusing members of the USSF of corruption and intentionally harming the national team's chances of success to enrich themselves.
How is that not a conspiracy?   

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:36:57 PM by Pakuni »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #570 on: December 13, 2022, 06:39:04 PM »
I'll give it a go, Tower. Argentina were dominant and Croatia never really had a chance. Argentina did to Croatia what the Netherlands did to the US; that is, let them/us think we had a chance and had opportunities, but really just baited them/us into their traps.

It was actually about the most boring game of this entire Cup. I sure hope tomorrow is better.

Surfin 7th rocks.

As I said, it felt inevitable to me.  Like a Hallmark movie.   ::)

France-Morocco... if France gets a goal in the first half, I expect them to pull away like Argentina.  But, if Morocco keeps it scoreless for the first 70 or so, I expect them to score late and win.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #571 on: December 13, 2022, 08:03:21 PM »
Surfin 7th rocks. DAMN STRAIGHT!

As I said, it felt inevitable to me.  Like a Hallmark movie.   ::)

France-Morocco... if France gets a goal in the first half, I expect them to pull away like Argentina.  But, if Morocco keeps it scoreless for the first 70 or so, I expect them to score late and win.

Definitely the longer Morocco holds on, the more pressure France will be under. I wish I felt like the will be able to withstand France's attacks, but, despite their amazing showing so far, I just don't see it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #572 on: December 14, 2022, 07:45:11 AM »
@NPR: JUST IN: Grant Wahl, the American soccer sportswriter who died at the World Cup in Qatar, had an ascending aortic aneurysm, according to an autopsy revealed by his wife.
https://n.pr/3Hw213r

MU82

• All American
« Reply #573 on: December 14, 2022, 08:27:07 AM »
@NPR: JUST IN: Grant Wahl, the American soccer sportswriter who died at the World Cup in Qatar, had an ascending aortic aneurysm, according to an autopsy revealed by his wife.
https://n.pr/3Hw213r

Not that any age is a "good" age to die, Grant had just turned 49. Very sad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #574 on: December 14, 2022, 10:38:03 AM »

Both games similar. Winning managers dared the team that had shown limited real threat to score to beat the odds and do it in a big moment. Activity versus achievement on display. Winning teams had a duo of players (Dumfries/Memphis and Messi/Alvarez) that elevated and punished the mistakes of an opposing team that got too comfortable for a moment.

Argentina v. France would be a matchup worthy of a Cup final. Drama and storylines galore on and off the field.

feedback