[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kansas City Recommendations  (Read 736 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Kansas City Recommendations
« on: February 02, 2024, 09:12:48 PM »
We haven’t visited Kansas City yet (other than the airport) and are going there for the Nate Bargatze show next weekend. Does anyone who has been there have any food recommendations?

We were thinking BBQ when we get into town Friday night, but I’m worried we won’t get into town until at least 7 and places may be out of some of their meats. We were thinking Indian food Sunday for lunch. But we could flip that and do BBQ Sunday for lunch, Indian Friday for dinner. We’re staying near the T Mobile Center, but are definitely willing to drive for good food.

Either way, any recommendations for Indian and BBQ? We’re doing lunch in the Power + Light District Saturday, but need to decide where. Any recommendations for that?

Saturday dinner will be The Westside Local.

Thanks for any recommendations!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 09:31:37 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Kansas City Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 09:17:30 PM »
We haven’t visited Kansas City yet (other than the airport) and are going there for the Nate Bargaetze show next weekend. Does anyone who has been there have any food recommendations?

We were thinking BBQ when we get into town Friday night, but I’m worried we won’t get into town until at least 7 and places may be out of some of their meats. We were thinking Indian food Sunday for lunch. But we could flip that and do BBQ Sunday for lunch, Indian Friday for dinner. We’re staying near the T Mobile Center, but are definitely willing to drive for good food.

Either way, any recommendations for Indian and BBQ? We’re doing lunch in the Power + Light District Saturday, but need to decide where. Any recommendations for that?

We take our Customers every year to Jack Stack for BBQ.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 09:23:09 PM »
We haven’t visited Kansas City yet (other than the airport) and are going there for the Nate Bargaetze show next weekend. Does anyone who has been there have any food recommendations?

If you have a couple of hours between meals and the show I would recommend a trip to the Negro Baseball League Museum. A great history class through the prism of our national pastime.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 09:29:11 PM »
If you have a couple of hours between meals and the show I would recommend a trip to the Negro Baseball League Museum. A great history class through the prism of our national pastime.

Awesome, thanks! I was looking into maybe the College Basketball Experience since it’s attached to the arena, but didn’t seem to be what we’d be looking to do. The Negro League Baseball Museum sounds more like it.

We take our Customers every year to Jack Stack for BBQ.

Thanks! Any idea if 7:30 or so might be too late to make it worth it/if they run out of some of their options?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 09:39:56 PM »
Awesome, thanks! I was looking into maybe the College Basketball Experience since it’s attached to the arena, but didn’t seem to be what we’d be looking to do. The Negro League Baseball Museum sounds more like it.

Thanks! Any idea if 7:30 or so might be too late to make it worth it/if they run out of some of their options?

We have a party that ends at 6 ,Our guys get there around 7-730ish
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 12:12:51 AM »
Trust me on this as I go to KC often for work and take people out. Go to Westport, you’ll find nothing but great restaurants there.

Two weeks ago I took a group to Char Bar for BBQ, and it was fantastic and I thought relatively inexpensive. I’ve also ate/drank at Beer Kitchen, great spot as well.

If you go to Westport and are looking for parking, there’s a garage half a block down from Char Bar that is free parking and usually pretty open.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 06:27:42 AM »
Q39 was a letdown if you’ve been given that recommendation.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 07:19:53 AM »
Had a good meal at Novel about a year ago. New American, cool vibe.

My buddy recommends Jack Stack, says Arthur Bryant’s is a good old dive joint, says KC Joe’s is good. Said Q39 is a newer joint, but as mentioned earlier, maybe a bit of a letdown.

We did the Plaza Art Fair last year, but that’s in September, I believe. Art Westport, too. Both areas are great otherwise. Hit up The Blue Room.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2024, 10:46:53 AM »
Little different twist…Strouds

https://www.stroudsrestaurant.com/

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2024, 07:48:13 PM »
Trust me on this as I go to KC often for work and take people out. Go to Westport, you’ll find nothing but great restaurants there.

Two weeks ago I took a group to Char Bar for BBQ, and it was fantastic and I thought relatively inexpensive. I’ve also ate/drank at Beer Kitchen, great spot as well.

If you go to Westport and are looking for parking, there’s a garage half a block down from Char Bar that is free parking and usually pretty open.

IF you find yourself dining in Westport ( a neighborhood in southwest KC) drop into Kelly's Westport Inn for a couple of drinks before or after. Very comfortable Irish saloon that I believe bills itself as the oldest or one of the oldest establishments in town. Started out as a stagecoach stop and a lair for naughty ladies.

KCWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 02:56:02 PM »
I live in KC and agree with Jack Stack for BBQ. It's where I always take out-of-town guests. They will have plenty of food left at 7:30. There is a location downtown and one on the Plaza.

I'm not sure where to recommend for Indian food. KC isn't exactly known for that. Here are some other restaurants I would suggest considering:

Rye (Plaza)
Brown & Loe (River Market)
Farina (downtown)
Gram & Dunn (Plaza)
Bristol (downtown)

You are going to be here Super Bowl weekend. It will be crowded everywhere. The city will be buzzing. Make reservations.

Someone mentioned going to Westport. Westport is fine but not somewhere I would recommend above other parts of town unless you're in your 20s and just want to get drunk. It's basically Water Street in Milwaukee.

The Plaza is a much better place to visit. It is great restaurants and shopping spread over 15 blocks. You can't visit KC without a stop on the Plaza https://countryclubplaza.com

After Jack Stack on Friday night, check out the Green Lady Lounge for some KC jazz: https://greenladylounge.com

Also, consider visiting Union Station.

I also second the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. https://www.nlbm.com

You mentioned the College Basketball Experience. It's okay, but skippable.

The World War I museum is terrific. It's the official national memorial, and across the street from Union Station. https://www.theworldwar.org

If you like art, the Nelson Atkins is worth a stop. https://www.nelson-atkins.org

The Boulevard Brewing Beer Hall is fun, and the beer is great. https://www.boulevard.com/visit-us/beer-hall/

The free street car system will get you everywhere you need to go between River Market and Union Station.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your visit!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 05:01:09 PM »
Thanks for all of the recommendations!  We had a great time.  Will definitely be getting to Kansas City far more than the once in the 20 months we've lived in Columbia.

We got into town Friday night and went right to Jack Stack on the Plaza.  Awesome BBQ, definitely a good recommendation.  I got the Pick 3 with beef brisket, pulled pork, and baby back ribs.  Brisket is usually my favorite BBQ, and theirs was as good as most briskets I've had, but it was actually my least favorite of the 3.  The fries were great too.  My wife got the Smokin' Russ and loved it.  I had a bite and it was great.  We also got the carrot cake, which was very good.  Walked around the Plaza after for a bit just knowing it was a quick trip and we probably wouldn't be back in the area.

Saturday we got up and walked a couple blocks to Milred's.  I'm not a coffee drinker so I just got the gooey butter cake, which was good.  She got a coffee.  We then walked down to the river where they have a walking path.  The plan was to go to BRGR for burgers before the 3:00 show, but our friends got into town later than expected and there was a 45 minute wait.  So we went to Tannin right when it opened.  Had charcuterie and hummus to share which were both solid.  I got the burger as well and that was good.  Worked perfectly because it was friends I hadn't seen in almost a decade, and we had the place to ourselves since it had just opened, plus it was happy hour time.

Show was great.  Couldn't recommend seeing Nate Bargatze any more to people who might be interested.  Power and Lights district seems like it'd be a fun place during the Big Twelve Tournament.

Drove over to Westside Local.  That was an awesome meal.  Got the elote tots as a starter, those were awesome (and I don't even like tater tots typically).  I was trying to decide between the honey sriracha chicken sandwich and the seasonal quinoa, and was leaning quinoa mainly because I can get a chicken sandwich anywhere and the quinoa was something I wouldn't normally choose, but basically everything on it sounded really good.  My wife decided on the quinoa, so that made the chicken sandwich the easy choice.  And boy was I glad.  That was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had, and far and away the best chicken sandwich I've ever had.  Had a bite of the quinoa, which was very good, but I would not have liked it nearly as much.  Their fries were good too.

A coworker recommended stopping at Union Station during the trip, so we went there after dinner since it was close.  Not sure what I was expecting, but whatever I was is not what I experienced.  Just a bunch of different Chiefs things that people just stood in line waiting to take pictures in front of.  A lot of Taylor Swift stuff (including playing only Taylor Swift music).  That was a pretty quick stop.  Then went to Betty Rae's for ice cream on the way back to the hotel.  Good, but the line was way out the door.  Wouldn't say it was nearly that good.

Did the same walk as Saturday on Sunday morning.  Stopped at a coffee shop in the River Market, and I stopped to get some bakery at Bloom's Bakery.  That was very good.

Went to Seva Indian Cuisine near Liberty on our way out of town.  I haven't eat at a ton of Indian places, but it was probably the best Indian I've had.  I like butter paneer, but usually can only get paneer tikka masala.  I haven't had butter paneer since eating at Indian Garden in Tosa (which is my other favorite Indian food), and I forgot how much better butter is than tikka masala.  The naan was solid too.

Stopped at the outlet malls near the soccer stadium to return one of the wife's Christmas gifts.  Seems like it'd be a cool area, but also seems like it'd be packed if there are soccer games.  Looked like there was also maybe a minor league baseball team in the area?

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations from anyone who gave them!