collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette and NCAA Soccer  (Read 4763 times)

panda

• All American
Re: College Soccer
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2023, 03:02:27 PM »

Keep movin’ those goalposts.

And here I thought someone else was the most obtuse poster since Warden Samuel Norton, but that appears to be you.

There were 37 MLS and MLS Next pro players in the 2022 World Cup.

No offense and it’s nothing personal but we’re not buddies, we’ve never met. Is there a “bro”in there somewhere too?

It’s a patronizing buddy. And you’re shifting the goalposts. I’m talking about how college soccer negatively influenced us soccer development and you’re talking about mls and WC involvement.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2023, 04:14:28 PM »
It’s a patronizing buddy. And you’re shifting the goalposts. I’m talking about how college soccer negatively influenced us soccer development and you’re talking about mls and WC involvement.

Pulls names out of a hat. Picks one at random.

Aaron Heard. Who is Aaron Heard? Aaron is from Fairfax, VA, Played at Bethesda and Philly Union Academies before playing with St. Louis City Academy and St. Louis City 2. Aaron has played for the USYNT in multiple age groups.

A few of his teammates have signed MLS homegrown and play professionally. One is 17, one is 16. Both have played with MLS first team. A few of his teammates are college soccer commits. A few were college soccer All Americans. A few played internationally. It’s all a mix of different types of players with different paths.

Aaron hasn’t signed a homegrown deal yet in part because he has been looking at European options and he’s still deciding. He’s 16. He’s jut one small example of how it works.

Did college soccer hinder the development of (picks random player here) Tim Ream? I can 100% guarantee you he’d tell you no. And so would many others.

You don’t get it because you aren’t interested in getting it. College isn’t blocking anyone’s path. There are a lot of paths. College gives one of several viable development options for soccer players which include soccer at the U.S. National Team level, various international and domestic levels.

Do you think Eleanor Dale will get her 24th goal tomorrow when her Nebraska team hosts Ohio State? How many goals do you think she can get to this year? What a season for her. Such a baller.

Again, maybe start a new thread and take it there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2023, 04:33:55 PM »
Did college soccer hinder the development of (picks random player here) Tim Ream? I can 100% guarantee you he’d tell you no. And so would many others.

I don’t disagree with you, as I alluded to in my post, I think there is a definite benefit and path through college soccer for a “later developing” elite player.  But I would be curious, in a purely hypothetical sense, if guys like Ream, Brian McBride, Claudio Reyna, Brad Friedel (who all ended up in Europe fairly young after playing college soccer) would still have went the NCAA path in current time, given the more developed pipeline to higher level soccer abroad.  I’d think no, but it’s still interesting to think about…and also has no bearing on the value/validity of the college path as it currently stands

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2023, 04:53:35 PM »

Aaron Heard. Who is Aaron Heard? Aaron is from Fairfax, VA, Played at Bethesda and Philly Union Academies before playing with St. Louis City Academy and St. Louis City 2. Aaron has played for the USYNT in multiple age groups.

A few of his teammates have signed MLS homegrown and play professionally. One is 17, one is 16. Both have played with MLS first team. A few of his teammates are college soccer commits. A few were college soccer All Americans. A few played internationally. It’s all a mix of different types of players with different paths.

Aaron hasn’t signed a homegrown deal yet in part because he has been looking at European options and he’s still deciding. He’s 16. He’s jut one small example of how it works.

You don’t get it because you aren’t interested in getting it. College isn’t blocking anyone’s path. There are a lot of paths. College gives one of several viable development options for soccer players which include soccer at the U.S. National Team level, various international and domestic levels.

Do you think Eleanor Dale will get her 24th goal tomorrow when her Nebraska team hosts Ohio State? How many goals do you think she can get to this year? What a season for her. Such a baller.

Tim ream lol. You couldn’t pick a worse candidate. The guy grinded his way through England making a name for himself in the championship before grinding yet again to become a stalwart at Fulham in the prem and with the usmnt in his late 30’s. Just think if he wasn’t hamstrung playing college soccer for four years…..

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2023, 05:10:30 PM »
I don’t disagree with you, as I alluded to in my post, I think there is a definite benefit and path through college soccer for a “later developing” elite player.  But I would be curious, in a purely hypothetical sense, if guys like Ream, Brian McBride, Claudio Reyna, Brad Friedel (who all ended up in Europe fairly young after playing college soccer) would still have went the NCAA path in current time, given the more developed pipeline to higher level soccer abroad.  I’d think no, but it’s still interesting to think about…and also has no bearing on the value/validity of the college path as it currently stands

Everyone takes a different path. Patrick Schulte even did a stint at Feyenoord Academy in Rotterdam. But he was and he is comfortable with his path of Academy, College, MLS Pro, MLS, Olympic Team, even though he had other  international options too. etc…

Ream played college, MLS, then he signed with Bolton and eventually Fulham.

Josh Sargent who attended the same high school as Tim Ream, chose Academy and various domestic and international stints before signing with Werder Bremen at age 18. He then eventually moved over to Norwich City. He’s 23.

Happy to have a brief exchange about college viability. It’s viable. This thread will mostly be about enjoying college soccer in and of itself for the most part.

I am 100% not a Men’s only, top few Euro League and US National team soccer person. I am 100% aware that’s a thing with a certain segment of the population throughout the states.
I would encourage any other additional discussion to take place on either a new thread or the other soccer thread.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2023, 05:16:10 PM »
Tim ream lol. You couldn’t pick a worse candidate. The guy grinded his way through England making a name for himself in the championship before grinding yet again to become a stalwart at Fulham in the prem and with the usmnt in his late 30’s. Just think if he wasn’t hamstrung playing college soccer for four years…..

Lol. Nope. Thanks. I needed the laugh.

Matt Turner, Fairfield University, MLS, Arsenal,’Nottingham Forest.

I’ll start you a new thread.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 05:22:58 PM by shoothoops »

panda

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2023, 05:49:49 PM »
Lol. Nope. Thanks. I needed the laugh.

Matt Turner, Fairfield University, MLS, Arsenal,’Nottingham Forest.

I’ll start you a new thread.

Knew that was coming. Now do any outfield player other than ream who clearly grew immensely as a player later in his career playing in England.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2023, 05:58:56 PM »
Knew that was coming. Now do any outfield player other than ream who clearly grew immensely as a player later in his career playing in England.

Lol. You’re not good at this.

Start a new thread.

Big win for Columbia Women’s Soccer today. Lock city now for NCAA Tourney. The Ivy will have 4 teams.

MU Men’s Soccer RPI is now sitting at 92 after another missed opportunity.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2023, 06:06:10 PM »
Josh Sargent who attended the same high school as Tim Ream, chose Academy and various domestic and international stints before signing with Werder Bremen at age 18. He then eventually moved over to Norwich City. He’s 23.

Sargent is kind of my point.  He would have played in college like McBride or Reyna, if not a brief MLS stint, back then.  But he was able to take advantage of the development of US soccer in a more global sense.

And with all due respect to Schulte, who is progressing nicely and has a real chance to move up levels professionally with another few good years in MLS (like Turner), he’s not playing college soccer if he had realistic high level international professional options.  Nobody who is playing in the third tier of US at 21 is doing so instead of playing in a solid European league. 

Again, not an indictment of college soccer, which by and large serves a wholly different purpose than professional soccer.  It’s like watching college basketball.  You do it for the enjoyment of the college game and not as a minor league feeder for the NBA, especially as it’s moved farther and farther away from that than 25 years ago.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2023, 06:39:36 PM »
Sargent is kind of my point.  He would have played in college like McBride or Reyna, if not a brief MLS stint, back then.  But he was able to take advantage of the development of US soccer in a more global sense.

And with all due respect to Schulte, who is progressing nicely and has a real chance to move up levels professionally with another few good years in MLS (like Turner), he’s not playing college soccer if he had realistic high level international professional options.  Nobody who is playing in the third tier of US at 21 is doing so instead of playing in a solid European league. 

Again, not an indictment of college soccer, which by and large serves a wholly different purpose than professional soccer.  It’s like watching college basketball.  You do it for the enjoyment of the college game and not as a minor league feeder for the NBA, especially as it’s moved farther and farther away from that than 25 years ago.

I enjoy college soccer in and of itself as well as that it happens to also be a viable developmental pathway for players to go on and play professionally at al levels. You seem to be implying (incorrectly) that some professional players developed in spite of college, as if that doesn’t count as part of their developmental pathway process, to professional soccer.

This will be my final post on that topic in this thread. Feel free to start a new thread and take it there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2023, 06:58:07 PM »
I enjoy college soccer in and of itself as well as that it happens to also be a viable developmental pathway for players to go on and play professionally at al levels. You seem to be implying (incorrectly) that some professional players developed in spite of college, as if that doesn’t count as part of their developmental pathway process, to professional soccer.

This will be my final post on that topic in this thread. Feel free to start a new thread and take it there.

Where did I ever imply that?  I said its a viable developmental pathway for players who are not yet ready to be full on professionals at a high level.  I never said anything about "in spite of". 

I think there is a distinction of

A) a young player who college is a good choice/viable developmental pathway for. 

And

B) those who are better served developing at a higher level (professionally, either domestically or abroad) because they won't gain much from the lower NCAA competition, comparatively.

And that has changed in the last 20+ years cause the options for B weren't readily available or as common as they are now, so they ended up playing college soccer which worked for them.

Not sure why you're shutting down a reasonable, in good faith (at least from me) discussion, which is actually about college soccer, to keep the thread only to updates about Ivy League college soccer or random B10 scoring leaders for an audience of just yourself?  Its a discussion board, not a Twitter feed.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2023, 06:59:54 PM »
Where did I ever imply that?  I said its a viable developmental pathway for players who are not yet ready to be full on professionals at a high level.  I never said anything about "in spite of". 

I think there is a distinction of

A) a young player who college is a good choice/viable developmental pathway for. 

And

B) those who are better served developing at a higher level (professionally, either domestically or abroad) because they won't gain much from the lower NCAA competition, comparatively.

And that has changed in the last 20+ years cause the options for B weren't readily available or as common as they are now, so they ended up playing college soccer which worked for them.

Not sure why you're shutting down a reasonable, in good faith (at least from me) discussion, which is actually about college soccer, to keep the thread only to updates about Ivy League college soccer or random B10 scoring leaders for an audience of just yourself?  Its a discussion board, not a Twitter feed.

Discussion moved. Take it there.

panda

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2023, 09:06:24 PM »
Totally fine to enjoy and appreciate college soccer for what it is. But don’t try and convince me it’s somehow a great place for development for our 18-22 year old talents. There are much better opportunities elsewhere.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2023, 09:30:56 PM »
And that will do it for the MU Women’s Soccer Season. Mentioned the opportunity to make something happen in their last 3 games against good teams. Final scores of those games were a combined 3 losses of 11-0. Ouch. Year 5 for Frank P next year.

Xavier and Georgetown are co champions, with X getting the 1 seed for the conference tourney. Nate Lie was a strong hire for them as he has had them as an annual top 25 caliber program the past 5 years, after inheriting a mess. UConn is a bubble team. They will probably need to get wins over Butler and Georgetown in the conference tourney to get an invite.

Final Big East Women’s Soccer Standings:

Xavier
Georgetown
UConn
Providence
St. John’s
Butler
Seton Hall
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
Villanova.
…………………..
Xavier and Georgetown are locks. UConn, Providence, St. John’s are on the bubble, but have some work to do. Top 2 get byes. UConn v Butler, Providence v St. John’s, on Sunday.
………………….

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2023, 09:38:39 PM »
Georgetown 2 Marquette 1

Big East Title for Georgetown.

32nd goal was a set piece corner, near post run Zengue to Jennings.

73rd minute goal was a nice end run hustle play from Viera to Murrell for his 11th. 7 defenders in the box. 5 were caught ball watchin’.

MU got one back in the 76th minute. Danis was rewarded for a back post run on a too high near post service from Marquez who took a ball in space right side of the box.

But it wasn’t enough. Fun game.

Big East Final Standings:

Georgetown
Xavier
Providence
St. John’s
UConn
Creighton
Akron
Seton Hall
……………..
DePaul
Villanova
Marquette

Top 8 make the conference tourney. 5 bubble teams. Georgetown is the only lock.

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2023, 01:04:38 PM »
https://x.com/nicberardi/status/1712887933991055584?s=20

Interesting take on college soccer from a respected online journalist.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2023, 02:49:45 PM »
https://x.com/nicberardi/status/1712887933991055584?s=20

Interesting take on college soccer from a respected online journalist.

Nico berardi?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2023, 03:10:07 PM »
Nico berardi?

He got embarrassed so he’s desperate and chasing doing random twitter searches which is kind of sad. In order to get that result, he went to Twitter and he typed in “College Soccer is terrible.” It’s the very first result, when you click on “latest,” some random post, from some random person, a few weeks back. That will tell you all you need to know.

I would ask kindly if you would take it to the other thread though and leave this one for college soccer that’d be great. Thanks. I’m happy to post over there too.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 03:18:57 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2023, 03:13:54 PM »

Of course she did. 2 more for Eleanor Dale as she leads the country with 25 goals and moves her team to the Big Ten Conference Tourney Semifinals.

panda

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2023, 04:24:42 PM »
Nico berardi?

If I had to pick one reporter synonymous with covering college soccer and the ins and outs of the industry, it’s Berardi first second and third before I would even consider naming anyone else.

panda

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2023, 04:27:48 PM »
He got embarrassed so he’s desperate and chasing doing random twitter searches which is kind of sad. In order to get that result, he went to Twitter and he typed in “College Soccer is terrible.” It’s the very first result, when you click on “latest,” some random post, from some random person, a few weeks back. That will tell you all you need to know.

I would ask kindly if you would take it to the other thread though and leave this one for college soccer that’d be great. Thanks. I’m happy to post over there too.

Idk man - if you pay attention to college soccer, it’s hard to miss Nico. He’s the Fanta of university footy.

Hoping to hear more success stories from you. Anymore USL all stars for me ?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2023, 05:51:03 PM »
If I had to pick one reporter synonymous with covering college soccer and the ins and outs of the industry, it’s Berardi first second and third before I would even consider naming anyone else.

Can you link me to something of his? Cause all I see on Google search are some references to some guy who went to Harvard business

panda

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2023, 06:10:41 PM »
Can you link me to something of his? Cause all I see on Google search are some references to some guy who went to Harvard business

Buddy I really can’t help you if you don’t understand the magnitude of Berardi. I can’t do all of your light lifting.

panda

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2023, 07:51:49 PM »
It brings me no joy bringing this up, but yet another titan of soccer journalism weighs in on the developmental signifance of soccer at the university level.

https://x.com/boldesttruth/status/1628163938138439688?s=46&t=el-XnIMOEDcxAw3lmg3L5A

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2023, 09:22:58 AM »
What's going on with MU men's and women's soccer?  A shadow of what they once were.