'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's hope Dick Strong will buy out Wojo's contract soon....  (Read 33111 times)

madtownwarrior

• All American
Re: Let's hope Dick Strong will buy out Wojo's contract soon....
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »
A most welcome addition to the board = the know-it-all Ellisum...

Record time to make it to Ignore < 20 posts...

Ah, the grassy knoll defender.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
The layup wasn't uncontested.  There was a defender waiting under the hoop.  You must not know much about basketball.  It's taught at about middle school level that the big men aren't supposed to handle the ball, dribbling from half court to the hoop.  Why?  Because stupid things like it bouncing off your leg are prone to happen.  Always pass it to the guard.  Fundamentals.  I can tell you've never played anything higher than intramurals.  

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
A most welcome addition to the board = the know-it-all Ellisum...

Record time to make it to Ignore < 20 posts...

I would rather know something than pretend I did.  Let's face it.... there's a lot of people in here that are uneducated when it comes to basketball. 

brandx

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
cmon brandx, why would someone ever want to drive to the basket for an uncontested layup?

In all seriousness though the ignore function has been great the past day.

Yeah, I think he is going to join Willie on the bench.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
I would rather know something than pretend I did.  Let's face it.... there's a lot of people in here that are uneducated when it comes to basketball. 

Not only are we an expert on the flaws in our new coaching staff after one game but anyone that disagrees is, well an idiot. You have been truly blessed with great knowledge and wisdom. Possibly you should consider becoming the new head coach at MU or with such diplomatic skills run for higher office. Destined for greatness.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 09:12:12 PM »

"you can calm down a fool before you can resurrect a corpse"

john thompson

i think we just found exceptions and corollaries 1 and 2 to john's words of wisdom.  john, meet duane and ellisium from the muscoop board...yikes

don't...don't don't don't don't

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »
Not only are we an expert on the flaws in our new coaching staff after one game but anyone that disagrees is, well an idiot. You have been truly blessed with great knowledge and wisdom. Possibly you should consider becoming the new head coach at MU or with such diplomatic skills run for higher office. Destined for greatness.

I didn't say anyone was an idiot.  I said that it's fundamentally wrong for a big man to dribble half the length of the court to score a basket when there's a guard open on the wing for an easy layup.  For some reason, that strikes a chord with people.  Of course, when you think a big man should dribble it that far, well ..... I can instantly gather that the person doesn't know a whole lot about basketball.  Arguing that point is just blasphemous.  That person deserves to be shut down for being ignorant.  But hey ... if you feel comfortable being in the majority who don't know how the game is played - that's cool bra.  Safety in numbers ....... I get it.    

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
Nice to see those in Madison get wood over such silly chit, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »
Well, Wojo does have the worst record of any Marquette coach in the past 25 years. :)

Another non basketball board I belong to has a thread for posts like the OPs. It's called ' Bugger, I'm drunk!'
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:30:46 AM by pbiflyer »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
I didn't say anyone was an idiot.  I said that it's fundamentally wrong for a big man to dribble half the length of the court to score a basket when there's a guard open on the wing for an easy layup.  For some reason, that strikes a chord with people.  Of course, when you think a big man should dribble it that far, well ..... I can instantly gather that the person doesn't know a whole lot about basketball.  Arguing that point is just blasphemous.  That person deserves to be shut down for being ignorant.  But hey ... if you feel comfortable being in the majority who don't know how the game is played - that's cool bra.  Safety in numbers ....... I get it.    

I thought it was contested because there was a defender waiting under the basket? Why would it be an easy lay-up for the guard when there was a defender waiting under the basket but not for the big man?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »
I thought it was contested because there was a defender waiting under the basket? Why would it be an easy lay-up for the guard when there was a defender waiting under the basket but not for the big man?

I seem to recall an invisible defender under the basket too. Thought I was the only one who saw him!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »

Howdy Ellisium,

Welcome to Scoop. I think you may have gotten off on the wrong foot here. Our community is opinionated, passionate, and gets into dumb pissing matches a lot but its our community, and we have a certain amount of respect for each other when posting. Not much mind you, but some. We generally tend to avoid statements like "you deserve to be shut down for being ignorant." And it may not be a fair standard, but generally the members who have been here for longer can get away with that more than the new ones. First impressions and all that.

You are absolutely right that the smart play in the game was for Taylor to dump it off to JJJ. We just don't feel it was the catastrophe you seem to think it was or that it was indicative of a poor coaching job by Wojo. Players get caught up in the moment and sometimes make dumb plays. Taylor had a wide open lane to the basket and 9/10 times, he probably finishes that dunk. This was unfortunately that 10th time. Again, dumping it to JJJ would have been the smarter play, but Taylor trying to take it up himself was one of the smaller of several issues our team had last night.

Of course, I might not be accounting for the "grassy knoll" defender that you mentioned.

Welcome to the board Elysium. I hope you become a productive member of te scoop community. Unfortunately, if you continue on your current path I think your stay will be shortlived. Either from you ragequitting or the Mods' almighty banhammer (In the banhammer we trust).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen (oh, and MUScoopers too...),

Meet the reincarnation of MikeDeanesDarkGlasses.  Who has taken a page out of the Ners book of "I've played hoops beyond rec league, so I know more than you".

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »

Meet the reincarnation of MikeDeanesDarkGlasses.  Who has taken a page out of the Ners book of "I've played hoops beyond rec league, so I know more than you".

Like based on IP address or frequency of posting?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
Like based on IP address or frequency of posting?

I have ways, sometimes the first, never the second, sometimes a few others.  But, I' sure Ellisium=MikeDeanesDarkGlasses.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
I love it when Rocky goes all CSI-Interwebs on Scoop.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »

Thanks for the laugh Rocky.  That was well played.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2014, 01:20:24 AM »
I have ways, sometimes the first, never the second, sometimes a few others.  But, I' sure Ellisium=MikeDeanesDarkGlasses.

I am nothing but a messenger for the Dark One - here to prime you for his rebirth.  Clearly, many of you are not ready for his heralded teachings.   Ners ..... there is talk you have seen the light.  You may be needed when the dark lord returneth.  Can you shoulder such burdens?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2014, 06:44:17 AM »
Nice to see those in Madison get wood over such silly chit, aina?
What, somebody else on this board discussing a woody?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2014, 06:49:37 AM »
I am nothing but a messenger for the Dark One - here to prime you for his rebirth.  Clearly, many of you are not ready for his heralded teachings.   Ners ..... there is talk you have seen the light.  You may be needed when the dark lord returneth.  Can you shoulder such burdens?
Little do the masses know, even as they argue with the great one, they are actually victims of his superior intellect and mind control techniques. Tis true, they are the followers of that they loathe. :)
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2014, 06:52:32 AM »
As Sgt. Hulka would say before putting his big toe up your arse:

LIGHTEN UP, FRANCIS!!!

"If anyone calls me Francis, I kill you."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »
I can tell you've never played anything higher than intramurals.  

Oh oh, I sense Chitown may be about to be challenged to a game of 1-on-1
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2014, 08:47:27 AM »

I use Scoop as my electronic mind playground most of the time, but never have I considered it an RPG.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »
The game itself was not as close as the score indicated.  If you are being honest, there was no point after the first 12 minutes or so in this game where you thought to yourself, "we might win this" or even "we might take this to the wire."  If they weren't so hot from three, I think they would have just beaten us inside.  Ohio State's zone is not good right now.  It is very much a work in progress and will be a lot more formidable in February.

Look, there is little reason to think we are going to be great this season.  I am looking forward to watching the development of our players.  There is reason for optimism because these guys can play.  We don't have all the positions covered, though.  Last season was rough because we were watching an older team die.  This season will be much less so because though we will struggle, we are watching a young team find its legs.

With regards to Steve Taylor, as with most things in life, his game was a mixed bag of good and bad.  He wisely found the open seams in the defense and got himself in good position to score.  Even though he was 9-14, he missed some very easy shots.  At the same time, he made a couple of the more difficult ones with good pump fakes.  Not getting that ball to a guard when he dribbled off his knee was a very bad mistake.  Forget guard and forward for a moment, you should be pushing the ball ahead whenever possible.  Wouldn't blame coaching for that, however, as Taylor should have known that since junior high.  He is not a defensive stopper in the paint.  I think he has a good sense for rebounding and good hands, but didn't have a great rebounding night.  I know he's a junior, but he is getting his first real chance at extended play and will be a work in progress.

Biggest disappointments for me were Dawson not getting off the bench and how little and ineffectively Burton played.  It is only one game, though, as far as Burton is concerned.  We've got 9 guys, but 7 of them are guard/wings, so even on a short bench Dawson is caught in a numbers game.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2014, 09:54:35 AM »
Maybe it's because I'm old.  Maybe it's because I'm not on whatever Ellisium/MDDG is on.....

but does anyone know WTF this means?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

feedback