[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season  (Read 112899 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season
« Reply #575 on: February 19, 2019, 01:31:44 PM »
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
Source: #WhiteSox offer to Machado was 8/$250M (a higher AAV than he will receive from #Padres.  Total value of deal - with incentives and vesting options - could have been “well north” of $300M.

My note on them being maybe embarrassed had to do with something odd seems to have happened in the last 24 hours that left the Sox looking like they didn't know what was going on. If they simply got outbid and the Padres were just closing the deal, that's one thing, but the info and reactions out there look like the Sox didn't get to go back to the table or something along those lines.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #576 on: February 19, 2019, 01:39:28 PM »
Interesting, talent continues to migrate to the NL. 

This is such a flip from a few years ago. Ten years back all of the talent was going to the AL.  I think it’s in part due to the existence of the juggernauts in Boston, New York and Houston.  Why spend money to bring in talent when toppling the big 3 is nearly impossible? 

It’s the same reason why all of the talent went West in the NBA for the last ten years, since LeBron was dominating the conference.  Now that LeBron is in the West and the Warriors are the dominant team, it looks like a lot of the talent is shifting back east. 

Kudos to the White Sox for trying to get Machado.  Just like all three NL divisions, the AL central is ripe for the taking as Cleveland tails off.  Too bad it didn’t work out.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #577 on: February 19, 2019, 03:00:11 PM »
This is such a flip from a few years ago. Ten years back all of the talent was going to the AL.  I think it’s in part due to the existence of the juggernauts in Boston, New York and Houston.  Why spend money to bring in talent when toppling the big 3 is nearly impossible? 

It’s the same reason why all of the talent went West in the NBA for the last ten years, since LeBron was dominating the conference.  Now that LeBron is in the West and the Warriors are the dominant team, it looks like a lot of the talent is shifting back east. 

Kudos to the White Sox for trying to get Machado.  Just like all three NL divisions, the AL central is ripe for the taking as Cleveland tails off.  Too bad it didn’t work out.

I think the reason is pretty simple this time around.

The NL has only 2 teams that are tanking. Almost half the teams in the AL are trying to lose.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #578 on: February 19, 2019, 03:20:54 PM »
Chicos Angels fan patting Chicos Cubs fan on the back.  Nice.

was that really necessary?  and many wonder where the back n forth comes from
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #579 on: February 19, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
was that really necessary?  and many wonder where the back n forth comes from

Chicos’s “look at me!” Post was treated accordingly. I gave him the attention he was looking for.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #580 on: February 19, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
Chicos Angels fan patting Chicos Cubs fan on the back.  Nice.

Sigh.  Whatever. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #581 on: February 19, 2019, 04:03:17 PM »
My note on them being maybe embarrassed had to do with something odd seems to have happened in the last 24 hours that left the Sox looking like they didn't know what was going on. If they simply got outbid and the Padres were just closing the deal, that's one thing, but the info and reactions out there look like the Sox didn't get to go back to the table or something along those lines.

Now all we have to show for the pursuit of Manny is 13 million spent on 2 guys we didn't need. Kenny saying they were never going to 300 million was tantamount (IMO) to admitting they were never in on  Harper and only getting Machado if a JD Martinez situation developed. This was a perfect storm scenario for the Sox to prove they were serious about their rebuild. The White Sox should be embarrassed. #Epic fail.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:08:58 PM by Lennys Tap »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #582 on: February 19, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »
Now all we have to show for the pursuit of Manny is 13 million spent on 2 guys we didn't need. Kenny saying they were never going to 300 million was tantamount (IMO) to admitting they were never in on  Harper and only getting Machado if a JD Martinez situation developed. This was a perfect storm scenario for the Sox to prove they were serious about their rebuild. The White Sox should be embarrassed. #Epic fail.

I actually think the Jay signing makes some sense regardless, but, yeah, Alonso looks not so hot now. Could be a decent trade piece come July if he reverts to form.
So where to the Sox go from here? I don't think they'll take that $250+ million and spend it elsewhere this year, but there are still some valuable pieces out there to be had.
I'd really love to see them make a run at Keuchel. They need another starter, he's been through a rebuild so he can mentor the younger arms and he's still at least a mid-rotation guy who would continue to help when the team is ready to contend in a couple of seasons.
And now that I've said that, they'll go sign Gio Gonzalez.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #583 on: February 19, 2019, 05:20:12 PM »
I forgot who I was listening to this afternoon, might have been Waddle, but what ticks me off the most as a Sox fan is this was the perfect storm for them to go big. They saved on payroll the last few years, their future payroll commitment is next to nothing, they have financial resources to go out and get a superstar, who at 26, plays a valuable position, while blueblood financial teams are sitting out the market. For 2 years internally they planned and marketed to go after him. The AL Central window has opened, he’d have been an anchor in their lineup as the kids came up. And at the end of the day, they lost, and it’s really hard to envision another opportunity for a player like this to hit the market with the bluebloods on the sidelines. They were going to have to get to a slightly uncomfortable salary number to get Machado, and all the time and effort they spent, they wouldn’t guarantee the number he wanted. Disappointing.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #584 on: February 19, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »
This FO is ridiculous.  The we tried BS is completely asinine. 

I will enjoy watching Goldy on the Cards though.  I will probably be watching a lot of Cards games...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:33:12 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #585 on: February 19, 2019, 05:36:10 PM »
I forgot who I was listening to this afternoon, might have been Waddle, but what ticks me off the most as a Sox fan is this was the perfect storm for them to go big. They saved on payroll the last few years, their future payroll commitment is next to nothing, they have financial resources to go out and get a superstar, who at 26, plays a valuable position, while blueblood financial teams are sitting out the market. For 2 years internally they planned and marketed to go after him. The AL Central window has opened, he’d have been an anchor in their lineup as the kids came up. And at the end of the day, they lost, and it’s really hard to envision another opportunity for a player like this to hit the market with the bluebloods on the sidelines. They were going to have to get to a slightly uncomfortable salary number to get Machado, and all the time and effort they spent, they wouldn’t guarantee the number he wanted. Disappointing.

You're not the only person I've heard say that, which makes the fact that he signed at a completely predictable number, that the Sox wouldn't approach, well it makes me question the sanity of the FO.  A perfect opportunity, and the did nothing with it.  Last time they missed out on big FA targets (Cespedes/Gordon) it turned out to be a blessing, maybe this works out the same, but I doubt it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #586 on: February 19, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »
Saw 2 things on the tweeter today.

One was the Sox were willing to got to a potential of $350 mil with incentives for machado.  That was why they were surprised, their total potential outlay was more than the Padres.  (Think this was from an ESPN reporter. But honestly dont remeber.)

2nd, the only have around $15 mil in guaranteed salary for 2020.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #587 on: February 19, 2019, 07:47:20 PM »
San Diego, CA or Chicago, IL. Tough choice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #588 on: February 19, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »

By that logic, every free agent should sign with the Padres. 

No big deal, all they need now is every prospect to pan out, and since they are great at scouting, drafting and development that should be a piece of cake...

Wait...what's that?  They suck at those things.  Huh.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:14:29 PM by buckchuckler »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #589 on: February 19, 2019, 08:14:47 PM »

If they were offered $50M more in guaranteed money to live in SD? Yup, probably.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #590 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »
I will enjoy watching Goldy on the Cards though.  I will probably be watching a lot of Cards games...

ME TOO!

Watch out Cub fans, the Cardinals are coming.... and the white stuff on the Cubby Bear's back window, it's bird crap from a very angry redbird!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #591 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
Feel for the WS fans.

Feel for Hahn. $300m was likely always the number, you signed his guys and probably had a Jordan contact ready to go as well. Literally the cornerstone to the AL Central crown and Jerry pulled the reigns back?

Also, why the hell was Kenny out talking at all? There should've been one response from Rick and that's it. Kenny needs to get the unnatural carnal knowledge out faster than GarPax. Hahn is the savant in a class of dunces on the south side.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #592 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:30 PM »

Yeah - Chicago might be behind San Diego, San Francisco, L.A, Seattle, Toronto and NYC but...

This is really bad news for Milwaukee, Kansas City, St Louis, Dallas, Houston, Cincinnati, Tampa, Miami, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, D.C., Minneapolis, Boston, Phoenix, Detroit, Atlanta, Baltimore, Denver and Oakland. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #593 on: February 19, 2019, 08:34:15 PM »
Feel for the WS fans.

Feel for Hahn. $300m was likely always the number, you signed his guys and probably had a Jordan contact ready to go as well. Literally the cornerstone to the AL Central crown and Jerry pulled the reigns back?

Also, why the hell was Kenny out talking at all? There should've been one response from Rick and that's it. Kenny needs to get the unnatural carnal knowledge out faster than GarPax. Hahn is the savant in a class of dunces on the south side.

2005 was my fondest sport's memory after 1977. The one horrible side effect is that it meant a lifetime contract for KW. Many of the Scoopers who post on baseball would be better at his job than he is.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #594 on: February 19, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »
Yeah - Chicago might be behind San Diego, San Francisco, L.A, Seattle, Toronto and NYC but...

This is really bad news for Milwaukee, Kansas City, St Louis, Dallas, Houston, Cincinnati, Tampa, Miami, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, D.C., Minneapolis, Boston, Phoenix, Detroit, Atlanta, Baltimore, Denver and Oakland. 

Seattle and Toronto?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #595 on: February 19, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »
2005 was my fondest sport's memory after 1977. The one horrible side effect is that it meant a lifetime contract for KW. Many of the Scoopers who post on baseball would be better at his job than he is.

Yeah, but no one on here can rock those transition lenses like KW

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #596 on: February 19, 2019, 08:38:23 PM »
Yeah, but no one on here can rock those transition lenses like KW

Fact.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #597 on: February 19, 2019, 08:40:24 PM »
Seattle and Toronto?

Have you seen real estate prices in those cities? Somebody wants to live there. Not me, but somebody.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #598 on: February 19, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »

He's probably going to live in Miami during the offseason either way, so there goes San Diego's main advantage.
In terms exposure,, endorsement opportunities, not being in a baseball backwater, Chicago > San Diego 

Don't get me wrong, San Diego is great, but there are plenty of better places to be a professional baseball player.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #599 on: February 19, 2019, 08:58:37 PM »
If they were offered $50M more in guaranteed money to live in SD? Yup, probably.

OK, well that is different than saying "San Diego or Chicago... tough choice."  isn't it?