[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season  (Read 112891 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season
« Reply #500 on: February 04, 2019, 08:44:29 PM »
MLB and the Cubs got a problem on their hands. Joe doesn’t run the day to day operations, but that’s his money his kids used to buy the team.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #501 on: February 04, 2019, 09:18:12 PM »
MLB and the Cubs got a problem on their hands. Joe doesn’t run the day to day operations, but that’s his money his kids used to buy the team.

Wondering what you are referring to. Maybe Joe saying he is like a slave because he has to pay taxes on his billions?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #502 on: February 04, 2019, 09:45:33 PM »
Wondering what you are referring to. Maybe Joe saying he is like a slave because he has to pay taxes on his billions?

Some of Joe's emails published - racist jokes, anti Muslim talk, etc.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #503 on: February 04, 2019, 10:00:22 PM »
MU 82 used to be a voter - not any longer. That’s why you’ll see new address questions to him occasionally.

I am still a voter, and voted this year.

They are slowly weeding out us oldsters. Maybe this will turn out to have been my last year to vote, maybe not.

I do look at voting for the Hall as a privilege, and I take my responsibility seriously.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #504 on: February 04, 2019, 10:34:24 PM »
I am still a voter, and voted this year.

They are slowly weeding out us oldsters. Maybe this will turn out to have been my last year to vote, maybe not.

I do look at voting for the Hall as a privilege, and I take my responsibility seriously.

Glad you are still active - for some reason I thought when you retired that you were no longer involved.

The Hall needs conscientious voters like you making these decisions.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #505 on: February 04, 2019, 10:36:41 PM »
Some of Joe's emails published - racist jokes, anti Muslim talk, etc.

Thanks, Lenny.

No surprise really. That whole family is just rich, trailer trash.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #506 on: February 04, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »
Been quite the offseason for them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #507 on: February 04, 2019, 11:06:41 PM »
Will the Cubbie fans come out with pitchforks like they did for 7 year old teenager Tweets?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #508 on: February 04, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
Will the Cubbie fans come out with pitchforks like they did for 7 year old teenager Tweets?

If they support wife beaters, there's no reason to think they won't support this vile, racist creep. Poor guy. Lamenting that he can't use the 'n' word and blaming it on political correctness.

Obviously, I don't think all Cubs fans are like this. Fans of any other team would probably react much the same, sad to say.

I guess my point is that sports should not be a reason to abandon basic human decency.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #509 on: February 05, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
As a lifelong White Sox guy, I have a natural aversion to all things Cub.
But I shudder to think that I'm somehow going to be held responsible for every dumb thing that comes out of my elderly father's mouth.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike or criticize Cubs' ownership. Something their father said in an email isn't one of them.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #510 on: February 05, 2019, 05:24:21 PM »
If they support wife beaters, there's no reason to think they won't support this vile, racist creep. Poor guy. Lamenting that he can't use the 'n' word and blaming it on political correctness.

Obviously, I don't think all Cubs fans are like this. Fans of any other team would probably react much the same, sad to say.

I guess my point is that sports should not be a reason to abandon basic human decency.

Fans of all teams find it hard to separate the personal abhorrent behavior from great success and joy on the field for players in all sports.  However, a rich old guy who just owns your team, and especially this one who isn't even active in your team?  I see ZERO reason why Cubs fans would support Old Man Ricketts.  Even if this was Tom Ricketts, I wouldn't necessarily think so. 

Same way if Attanasio said something anti-Semitic or racist about LA, I dont think people who applauded Hader would automatically jump to his defense.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #511 on: February 05, 2019, 06:53:58 PM »
Fans of all teams find it hard to separate the personal abhorrent behavior from great success and joy on the field for players in all sports.  However, a rich old guy who just owns your team, and especially this one who isn't even active in your team?  I see ZERO reason why Cubs fans would support Old Man Ricketts.  Even if this was Tom Ricketts, I wouldn't necessarily think so. 

Same way if Attanasio said something anti-Semitic or racist about LA, I dont think people who applauded Hader would automatically jump to his defense.

Well done, Wags. :)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #512 on: February 06, 2019, 06:42:44 AM »

This story will be forgotten by Sunday
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #513 on: February 06, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
MLB looking at rule changes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/06/mlb-considering-drastic-rule-changes-that-could-speed-up-games-create-universal-dh/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.364a68439fe5

Universal DH.  Expand rosters to 26 players.  Pitchers must pitch to at least three batters unless injured or end of an inning.  Have one trading deadline.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #514 on: February 06, 2019, 10:55:50 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/06/mlb-considering-drastic-rule-changes-that-could-speed-up-games-create-universal-dh/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.364a68439fe5

Universal DH.  Expand rosters to 26 players.  Pitchers must pitch to at least three batters unless injured or end of an inning.  Have one trading deadline.

I like all of the ones you listed.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #515 on: February 06, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »

This is a good list.  I didn't like the expansion of the roster to 26, but as long as it comes with a limit of 12 pitchers/team, it is fine, especially as an incentive to the players union to accept other changes.

Not sure I like tweaking draft system.  Small market teams need all the help they can get.

I think the big rift coming between players and management is going to be over salaries, as usual.  Basically, players have been willing to accept being tethered to teams early in their career because of the big payday that awaits when they hit free agency.  Now that the teams have wised up and are less willing to pay for past performance and base contracts on what they can expect using all the knowledge they have, free agents are getting less money.  MLB is going to have to do something about that, and it has to revolve around paying the younger players more without shortening the tethered time, or the small market teams will never be able to compete.  Not going to be easy, glad I don't have to figure it out.  I think the first thing they have to do is kill that loophole where you wait to bring a guy up until May so you get an extra year under control.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #516 on: February 06, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
Ricketts now "apologizing."

But because it's impossible to sell an apology of, "I'm a racist, and sorry if you don't like that," it's not worth even considering the hollow words somebody wrote for him.

I tend to agree with Smuggles, though, that few will care about this long-term. Fans cheer the uniform, always have, always will.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #517 on: February 06, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »

I heard the players union wants the NL DH to start this year already after rosters are basically set. I can't see that happening.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #518 on: February 06, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
This is a good list.  I didn't like the expansion of the roster to 26, but as long as it comes with a limit of 12 pitchers/team, it is fine, especially as an incentive to the players union to accept other changes.

Not sure I like tweaking draft system.  Small market teams need all the help they can get.

I think the big rift coming between players and management is going to be over salaries, as usual.  Basically, players have been willing to accept being tethered to teams early in their career because of the big payday that awaits when they hit free agency.  Now that the teams have wised up and are less willing to pay for past performance and base contracts on what they can expect using all the knowledge they have, free agents are getting less money.  MLB is going to have to do something about that, and it has to revolve around paying the younger players more without shortening the tethered time, or the small market teams will never be able to compete.  Not going to be easy, glad I don't have to figure it out.  I think the first thing they have to do is kill that loophole where you wait to bring a guy up until May so you get an extra year under control.

Could they accomplish this by shortening the time to arbitration?  Or maybe introduce a restricted free agency where the current team has the opportunity to match a qualifying offer?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #519 on: February 06, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »
I heard the players union wants the NL DH to start this year already after rosters are basically set. I can't see that happening.

And yet 4 of the top 5 free agents are still on the market.  And many others.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #520 on: February 06, 2019, 02:23:49 PM »
I, for one, am excited for the work stoppage in 2020 or 2021. Players need to rebalance the ledger
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #521 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »

Could they accomplish this by shortening the time to arbitration?  Or maybe introduce a restricted free agency where the current team has the opportunity to match a qualifying offer?
I think they could if they were willing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #522 on: February 06, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »
I, for one, am excited for the work stoppage in 2020 or 2021. Players need to rebalance the ledger

This seems stupid to me.  The last strike cost a World Series, took years to recover and at least somewhat led to the steroid era.  But maybe that is because I am a fan of the game.  I hope the work stoppage can be avoided because it can really hurt the game. 

Tony Clark and Co. have done a terrible job on the behalf of the union.  They have been short sighted and ignorant.  Fighting for things like chefs in the clubhouse while the owners have been able to set up the luxury tax like a salary cap.  The owners used a international draft as huge leverage (why should the players care???) to get what they want.  The MLBPA has only themselves and their leadership to blame for their situation.  Salaries haven't been their focus in the last 2 CBAs.  They are paying for that now -- at least in perception.

A lot still depends on Harper and Machado.  If they sign deals with an AAV in the neighborhood of 30, that seems to be exactly what was expected.  Almost all of the other players on the market had their warts.  Grandal is a career .240 hitter.  Pollock can't stay healthy.  Brantley is a great hitter, but has limited power and health concerns.  Even with that, Grandal and Brantley got high AAV deals.

There will likely still be 4-5 guys that sign deals with an AAV of at least 23 million this year.  It isn't easy to see the guys that have been drastically underpaid this offseason (Pollock, Bour -- I don't know who else).  People pointed to Dozier at the time of his signing, but 9M seems pretty strong for a guy that hit .215 last season.

Free agency is riskier it seems, but players making bad decisions has made it look worse.  Guys like Moustakas last year and Grandal this year overplayed their hands (both settled for 1 year deals while reportedly turning down deals in the neighborhood of 4/60) and had their primary suitors move onto other options, leaving them with few options.

I think the luxury tax will have to be strongly revisited.  It is being used like a hard cap for pretty much every team but the Yankees.  I think they have paid more than 90% of the money that has been allocated for the luxury tax, and it looks like Boston will be the only team over this season.  The MLBPA has really underestimated the impact of the luxury tax.  Is a tax if your payroll is too low the answer?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #523 on: February 06, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »
This seems stupid to me.  The last strike cost a World Series, took years to recover and at least somewhat led to the steroid era.  But maybe that is because I am a fan of the game.  I hope the work stoppage can be avoided because it can really hurt the game. 

Tony Clark and Co. have done a terrible job on the behalf of the union.  They have been short sighted and ignorant.  Fighting for things like chefs in the clubhouse while the owners have been able to set up the luxury tax like a salary cap.  The owners used a international draft as huge leverage (why should the players care???) to get what they want.  The MLBPA has only themselves and their leadership to blame for their situation.  Salaries haven't been their focus in the last 2 CBAs.  They are paying for that now -- at least in perception.

A lot still depends on Harper and Machado.  If they sign deals with an AAV in the neighborhood of 30, that seems to be exactly what was expected.  Almost all of the other players on the market had their warts.  Grandal is a career .240 hitter.  Pollock can't stay healthy.  Brantley is a great hitter, but has limited power and health concerns.  Even with that, Grandal and Brantley got high AAV deals.

There will likely still be 4-5 guys that sign deals with an AAV of at least 23 million this year.  It isn't easy to see the guys that have been drastically underpaid this offseason (Pollock, Bour -- I don't know who else).  People pointed to Dozier at the time of his signing, but 9M seems pretty strong for a guy that hit .215 last season.

Free agency is riskier it seems, but players making bad decisions has made it look worse.  Guys like Moustakas last year and Grandal this year overplayed their hands (both settled for 1 year deals while reportedly turning down deals in the neighborhood of 4/60) and had their primary suitors move onto other options, leaving them with few options.

I think the luxury tax will have to be strongly revisited.  It is being used like a hard cap for pretty much every team but the Yankees.  I think they have paid more than 90% of the money that has been allocated for the luxury tax, and it looks like Boston will be the only team over this season.  The MLBPA has really underestimated the impact of the luxury tax.  Is a tax if your payroll is too low the answer?

Average is a horrible statistical measure. Grandal lead the league in OBP (.349) for Catchers last year and #2 in WAR. His lifetime OBP is .341 because he walks so much.
But I like to throw handfuls...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #524 on: February 06, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »
Average is a horrible statistical measure. Grandal lead the league in OBP (.349) for Catchers last year and #2 in WAR. His lifetime OBP is .341 because he walks so much.

...Nevermind that BA is the largest component of OBP... anyways...

You giving Johan Carmargo a 20 million per year deal?  He basically had the same OBP and SLG.

Grandal was 52nd in OBP last season.  Hardly elite.  He is in the same ballpark as Matt Kemp and Jean Segura, guys not reknowned for their OBP skills.  Walks only help so much if you still have a poor BA.  I spent plenty of time studying Adam Dunn. 

I know Grandal is a C having a C that is anything but a blackhole is valuable.  My point was he is not without his warts.  How about his complete mental breakdown in the postseason?  Yeah he is a good framer (um hooray?) but he quite realistically couldn't catch in the playoffs.  Not to mention he was 4/34 -- oh wait average doesn't count.  He also had 5 BB.  Solid .231 OBP.  And not just this year either.  Career in the postseason he is has a .107/.264/.200 slash line for an impressively bad OPS of .464.

He gave teams reasons not to go above and beyond to want his services.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:01:31 PM by buckchuckler »

feedback