[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season  (Read 112883 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »

Yeah.  It was PR schlock.  Seriously, "we want to be part of the solution?"

So because you feel a statement was "PR schlock" the efforts to do more as an organization for that cause aren't worthwhile? 

Seems idiotic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2018, 08:38:41 PM »
So because you feel a statement was "PR schlock" the efforts to do more as an organization for that cause aren't worthwhile? 

Seems idiotic.

It’s just an organization saying the right things to justify its decision. It’s been done and said 100 times. There’s nothing special about it. Cubs don’t deserve any credit for it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »

Is this a post from 1978 or something?

The biggest problem with baseball is that it's become a regional sport instead of a national one.  With all local games on TV, people watch their team and don't bother with the national broadcasts.  So they really don't know much beyond the local.
Brother Sultan of SW Wisconsin, 1978 was a wonderful year. Except for that disgusting, disturbing Miami of Ohio debacle.

No, it is not a post from 1978. It is noting that baseball is about the players and the interconnection with the fans. I agree with another poster in this thread that it's a two-way street. The team has to ante up for the players. But the free agency has changed the game from a personal relationship with players who identify with a community to an institutional one.

Look, Marvin Miller was a genius. He taught the players that they really did have rights. And, yes, I am a Cardinals fan. And I rememebr Curt Flood like it was yesterday, as a center fielder who was one of the best in the business. I also know that Gussie Busch knew how to use the reserve clause to his advantage and I know he did to the detriment of Mr. Flood and other Cardinals of that era.

Bottom line: Free agency is necessary. But the relationship between the players and the community in which they play has been fractured, perhaps beyond repair. My Cardinals right now are trying like heck to find a way to sign Bryce Harper. They probably won't, particularly if Chicago or Los Angeles wants him.  It's good for Mr. Harper. Probably not good for Washington baseball or the community that has invested their heart and soul in him.

Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2018, 09:17:35 PM »
It’s just an organization saying the right things to justify its decision. It’s been done and said 100 times. There’s nothing special about it. Cubs don’t deserve any credit for it.

You forget who you’re talking to.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »
Yeah, nice return for him I think.  The pen is always an area of need.  I hope they have a plan to fill Avi's spot that is better than Delmonico.

Harper.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2018, 08:03:08 AM »

The Cubs should have taken these steps in terms of working with the community and other organizations after acquiring Chapman. The organization certainly dropped the ball there.

Russell has also been a disappointment the last two years. The easiest thing to do would have been to cut bait and do nothing.  I don't think this is a case of the organization doing whatever it can to justify retaining a star player.  This is not sitting well in the media and with many fans and understandably so.

Russell is still on a zero tolerance policy and he may never play with the Cubs again and they'll still going to continue their efforts. Perhaps it came from mistakes the organization has made in the past but they're doing the right thing now.  Better late than never.

You forget who you’re talking to.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »
I have no problem with keeping Russell. Though I think he's ss #3 on the team. I was fine with Chapman, I'll be fine when Kareem hunt returns.

Why?
Because it's baseball. I don't follow any of these guys personal lives, because I don't care about them at a personal level. Say I beat my girlfriend, sure I'm a scumbag in the social level and the eyes of law. But I don't lose my job over it. I think it should be the same here.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
I have no problem with keeping Russell. Though I think he's ss #3 on the team. I was fine with Chapman, I'll be fine when Kareem hunt returns.

Why?
Because it's baseball. I don't follow any of these guys personal lives, because I don't care about them at a personal level. Say I beat my girlfriend, sure I'm a scumbag in the social level and the eyes of law. But I don't lose my job over it. I think it should be the same here.

In some industries you do lose your job over it.  Disappointed with the Cubs here.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2018, 10:02:23 AM »
The Cubs should have taken these steps in terms of working with the community and other organizations after acquiring Chapman. The organization certainly dropped the ball there.

Russell has also been a disappointment the last two years. The easiest thing to do would have been to cut bait and do nothing.  I don't think this is a case of the organization doing whatever it can to justify retaining a star player.  This is not sitting well in the media and with many fans and understandably so.

Russell is still on a zero tolerance policy and he may never play with the Cubs again and they'll still going to continue their efforts. Perhaps it came from mistakes the organization has made in the past but they're doing the right thing now.  Better late than never.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2018, 11:23:34 AM »
I appreciate the fact that Stearns took responsibility for the Schoop situation.  His decision and he didn't let an ego allow him to compound the mistake. Plenty of cheaper viable options for the short term. Everyone gets a mulligan.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I have no control over the decision. I would have had no issue if they non-tendered him. The team could have handled it better but they are doing something now.

I'm sure you're not aware of how much Cubs Charities does as well as individual players on their own.

Am I to not root for my favorite team because of this decision?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2018, 12:08:46 PM »

If you want to give the Cubs credit for doing the absolute minimum, that's fine by me.  Just don't expect others to be impressed.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2018, 01:15:19 PM »
I appreciate the fact that Stearns took responsibility for the Schoop situation.  His decision and he didn't let an ego allow him to compound the mistake. Plenty of cheaper viable options for the short term. Everyone gets a mulligan.

His comments were so great.  When you play supermarket sweep at the deadline, you're going to have a miss or two, and he hit on literally every other move.  Even at the time Schoop felt like the impulse buy when you're already in line at the register, but live and learn. Can't hit on em all, but each miss means heightens the stakes on the next move.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »
I have no control over the decision. I would have had no issue if they non-tendered him. The team could have handled it better but they are doing something now.

I'm sure you're not aware of how much Cubs Charities does as well as individual players on their own.

Am I to not root for my favorite team because of this decision?

Hmmm, the Cubs are the only team with a charitable foundation and whose players donate money and their time?  Wow, what a group.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
Hmmm, the Cubs are the only team with a charitable foundation and whose players donate money and their time?  Wow, what a group.

Right. No professional athletes outside of Chicago do community service and donate money to charity.

The fact that Cubs fans claim this is the “tough route” and they’re doing this to make sure Russell gets the help he needs and that’s what the organization is about is hysterical. Maybe Theo will hit the streets of Chicago and sign every drug addict he can find to a contract in order to send them to rehab and clean up the city.

The Cubs made this move for one reason: they still hope the guy can someday contribute on the baseball field for them. To suggest anything else is beyond naive. Glad Theo gave such a nicely scripted statement on the situation though. What a dude.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »

If you want to give the Cubs credit for doing the absolute minimum, that's fine by me.  Just don't expect others to be impressed.

I don't expect anyone to be impressed.  That was never the point.

If you think they're doing the absolute minimum you're absolutely wrong. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2018, 08:36:48 PM »

Hmmm, did I say or insinuate that? 

Nope. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2018, 08:37:50 PM »
Right. No professional athletes outside of Chicago do community service and donate money to charity.

The fact that Cubs fans claim this is the “tough route” and they’re doing this to make sure Russell gets the help he needs and that’s what the organization is about is hysterical. Maybe Theo will hit the streets of Chicago and sign every drug addict he can find to a contract in order to send them to rehab and clean up the city.

The Cubs made this move for one reason: they still hope the guy can someday contribute on the baseball field for them. To suggest anything else is beyond naive. Glad Theo gave such a nicely scripted statement on the situation though. What a dude.

Your hatred for the Cubs and Cubs fans consistently makes you look like a complete idiot. 

It's amusing after you crapped out excuse after excuse for your redneck racist homophobe.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:40:45 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
I don't expect anyone to be impressed.  That was never the point.

If you think they're doing the absolute minimum you're absolutely wrong. 

You’re either incredibly naive or incredibly blinded by your fandom.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2018, 08:57:33 PM »
Your hatred for the Cubs and Cubs fans consistently makes you look like a complete idiot. 

It's amusing after you crapped out excuse after excuse for your redneck racist homophobe.

Lol. Never made an excuse for Hader other than he was a stupid teenager who made some unacceptable Tweets, which he was. And said every fan base in America would cheer on Hader. Which they would. And that people (okay, other than you, you came out of the womb perfectly mature) usually mature during and after their teen years.

But good comp. Teenager Tweeting and domestic violence. I’m the one who looks like an idiot. Lol.

Like I said, whatever helps you sleep at night big guy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:03:40 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2018, 09:45:18 PM »
Say I beat my girlfriend, sure I'm a scumbag in the social level and the eyes of law. But I don't lose my job over it. I think it should be the same here.

I don't think this statement is as true as you seem to think it is.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2018, 10:27:26 PM »
 I don't see how what Theo said makes any difference.  His statement really doesn't say anything does it?  It seems like corporate speak for using a lot of words to say nothing at all.  "we have chosen to take action to try".  What?  That doesn't seem like it actually means anything.  You would think in a prepared statement, if it were true, he would at least sort of reference what they were trying.

Another problem I have with the statement, is that the first part of the statement seems like, well, pride in Russell.  Theo scouted him, traded for him and developed him into a champion.  That's the beginning.  Right there, Theo is telling you what is most important.

It is the actions that speak.  The Chiefs cut an important part of their team this weekend because he assaulted a woman.  The NFL, while it took a while, has gotten the message.  The Cubs gave their well documented abuser a contract for next year.  MLB has not.  The "zero tolerance for domestic abuse" Astros, traded for an abuser, and made excuses because he was good, and fit their needs.  The Cubs are trying to be a part of the solution, while trading for an abuser 2 years ago, now supporting another.

Sadly, though, I think this is how most, if not all teams would have proceeded.  The only bright spot is that this, to me indicates, that no other teams were willing to trade for him.

Maybe their solution should be to send him to Rookie Ball.  That might work.  He'd still be highly paid, but it would be something.   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:04:44 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
In much more fun baseball news, it seems like the much rumored and reported deal of Cano to the Mets is done. 

Cano, Diaz, and 20 Million to the Mets for Swarzak(salary swap), Bruce(salary swap), Kelenec (Mets #3), Dunn (Mets 4) and Bautista.

The Mets already had to dump 2 contracts they signed last offseason, and are still burdened with some bad ones.  Yikes.

Though Diaz is a complete stud as a closer, and it will be interesting to see how Cano plays, especially now that his secret to aging gracefully has been revealed and maybe removed.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #249 on: December 03, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
The Mariners appear set to continue their fire sale by dealing Segura to the Phillies.

I can't say I'm enjoying the talent influx to the NL from the AL this year:

Segura to Phils
Cano and Diaz to Mets
Donaldson to Braves
Richards to Padres
to name a few

Going the other way (NL to AL)
Jay Bruce to Ms
Tommy LaStella to Angels

It only means that the NL is getting stronger, deeper, and more competitive, while the AL becomes very top and bottom heavy.  All the AL clubs (even the Indians!) know they can't beat the Red Sox, Astros, and Yankees, so why even try?  It's becoming like the NBA's Eastern and Western conferences, especially when LeBron was the gatekeeper to the Finals out East.  If you can't beat him, just tank and wait him out!