[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2015 Non-conference Schedule  (Read 66873 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: 2015 Non-conference Schedule
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »
This is pitiful. I wouldn't blame the casual fan for not getting season tickets this year. What is the 7 teams with a 300+ RPI?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »
This is pitiful. I wouldn't blame the casual fan for not getting season tickets this year. What is the 7 teams with a 300+ RPI?

If I hadn't renewed last week I would have given serious thought to cancelling for a year. Really just a miserable schedule.

Realistically have to go 3-2 vs. Belmont, Iowa, UW, NC State/LSU/ASU and avoid any other slip ups, which shouldn't be an issue with this schedule. Disappointing.

Does anyone know when the Big East schedule is to be released?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2015, 10:36:09 AM »
Does anyone know when the Big East schedule is to be released?

Early September, usually.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
So not a single home game that was actually scheduled by MU against a team with an RPI better than 300.  Wow, this is beyond bad.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »
Also, with the schedule being so crapty, you have to wonder about how many of these crap games will be televised for the out-of-towners.  I think I've only missed one game in the past 5 or so years, and that was Omaha last year since it was not televised at all (maybe glad I missed it), but who knows if any of the eastern sports networks that typically show the MU non-con games will pick up these cupcakes games. I have to assume FS1/FS2 won't pick up many. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
You know if we sweep every team we should, manage to take out all but maybe LSU I think we're in a fine spot entering the conference.  I know it sucks that they're crappy teams but not one of these players truly knows how to win at a high level and you've gotta start somewhere. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »
Also, with the schedule being so crapty, you have to wonder about how many of these crap games will be televised for the out-of-towners.  I think I've only missed one game in the past 5 or so years, and that was Omaha last year since it was not televised at all (maybe glad I missed it), but who knows if any of the eastern sports networks that typically show the MU non-con games will pick up these cupcakes games. I have to assume FS1/FS2 won't pick up many.

Fox Sports needs content so they will pick up the games, but there is no way the Fox mother ship is happy with this nonsense.

I have to say, I'm a relative schil for the program and try to see the bright side of things, but as a season ticket holder this is terrible.  Especially the super crap non-con Stetson game in the middle of conference season.

I'm going to have to hope my wife doesn't see this schedule any time soon as the season ticket check just went out the door and she will not be happy.....also a lot more games I'd likely be going to by myself

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
You know if we sweep every team we should, manage to take out all but maybe LSU I think we're in a fine spot entering the conference.  I know it sucks that they're crappy teams but not one of these players truly knows how to win at a high level and you've gotta start somewhere.

There are two issues at play, getting into the tournament and putting out a quality product for STH and casual fans.  You are addressing item 1 and I completely agree with you.  However this "schedule" is so bad, especially coming off a losing season that it could run fans off, especially the non-STHs which hurts this year.  Also, this puts a bad taste in STH mouths(can't do anything about it this year) and if the team under performs they are really going to take a hit on STH renewals next season.

This team better make the tournament with this schedule otherwise MU might be putting itself in a significant financial hole next season.  And they better be doing something spectacular to improve the game day experience cause the games themselves will be crap.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
I'd like to hear Wojo and Broeker's comments on this schedule. What is the motive? Does Broeker not understand how RPI works?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »
There are two issues at play, getting into the tournament and putting out a quality product for STH and casual fans.  You are addressing item 1 and I completely agree with you.  However this "schedule" is so bad, especially coming off a losing season that it could run fans off, especially the non-STHs which hurts this year.  Also, this puts a bad taste in STH mouths(can't do anything about it this year) and if the team under performs they are really going to take a hit on STH renewals next season.

This team better make the tournament with this schedule otherwise MU might be putting itself in a significant financial hole next season.  And they better be doing something spectacular to improve the game day experience cause the games themselves will be crap.

I agree I'm only addressing item 1 and that if it doesn't work it ruins item 2.  However, I liken this schedule to 2011 Cincinnati.  They to were coming off some terrible seasons and had to take a shot and teach their guys to win before conference play. It worked for them and now they're back to being at least a threatening team in the country.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
I agree I'm only addressing item 1 and that if it doesn't work it ruins item 2.  However, I liken this schedule to 2011 Cincinnati.  They to were coming off some terrible seasons and had to take a shot and teach their guys to win before conference play. It worked for them and now they're back to being at least a threatening team in the country.

Awful big gamble with future revenues.....have we really fallen as far as 2011 Cinncy?  If the Athletic department thinks so (and they seem to with this effort) I am really depressed for this season and really think those that said we could have a losing season again this year could be right.

Several other facts of note....of the games that MU had the choice to schedule(not Gavitt, tournament, @UW, etc) ALL OF THEM ARE 300+ RPI.  They rolled this crappy schedule out like it was something to be proud of, do they really think this is a good schedule?  I would have looked at it and just said, push it out on the Friday July 3rd and be done with it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2015, 11:41:17 AM »

There is no way that you can know that a soft 2011 schedule caused them to improve up to now.  What concerns me is that they may have done this more for financial reasons than anything else. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2015, 11:43:59 AM »

There is no way that you can know that a soft 2011 schedule caused them to improve up to now.  What concerns me is that they may have done this more for financial reasons than anything else.

Educated guess or basis in fact?

I agree that's likely why....but then WTF are we all about Wojo's vision if we are going to penny pinch on buy games?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
I am not sure what would bring in more casual fans. Certainly a game against Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina or Kansas is likely to sell tickets. A game against several other major conferences teams probably would not make much difference. I think the attendance will depend on Henry. It just may be Henry being able to put up big numbers against 300+ teams might do more for attendance than only scoring 10-12 points against other major teams. Throw in the fact, while fans want to watch competitive games, they rather attend a winning game than a losing game. Losing a lot of games against a tougher schedule will not bring in fans. At least we can pretend to be good by beating 300+ teams.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2015, 11:58:28 AM »
I don't know what MU's plan is, or what the outcome will be.  But as a long-time season ticket holder, this schedule is very disappointing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2015, 12:08:59 PM »
Educated guess or basis in fact?

I agree that's likely why....but then WTF are we all about Wojo's vision if we are going to penny pinch on buy games?

I don't know if MU is having money issues, but I am struggling to figure out what their motivations for this crappy a schedule might be.  I don't care about a couple 300+ RPI opponents...but THIS many? 

Another concern is that MU had a nice stretch of neutral games v. quality opponents.  Coaches v. Cancer against Washington, the Carrier game v. OSU, the Vegas game against New Mexico... Last two years - nothing.  They are playing in a ho-hum tournament, two marquee non-conference games (one is a rival we play every year), a less interesting BE, and a bunch of crap. 

As someone who isn't a STH, I still like to work my schedule around these games.  But I might have trouble even doing that this year. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
I'd like to hear Wojo and Broeker's comments on this schedule. What is the motive? Does Broeker not understand how RPI works?

+100--someone needs to answer for this sheet.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2015, 12:19:15 PM »
I just took a look at Depauls schedule and it made me sad that I would swith non-conference schedules with them in a heartbeat. Theirs is actually pretty nice. No super marquee games bit a good mix. I showed my dad the schedule and he just laughed.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
Could this crappy schedule be related to the Italy trip?  Maybe they're spending a chunk of their annual budget on that trip, which leaves less for getting decent buy games?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »
Saving money this year so we can afford big name opponents next year when we will be better. Maybe....?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »

As someone who isn't a STH, I still like to work my schedule around these games.  But I might have trouble even doing that this year.

I'm in the same boat. Looks like I have a few more free days than usual this Nov-Dec.

The program in general needs a shot in the arm. Better scheduling, revamp the marketing and gameday experience. Obviously making it back to the postseason will help, as will the new arena should it get built. But in the meantime, hopefully ticket sales don't fall off a cliff.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2015, 12:28:12 PM »
I am not sure what would bring in more casual fans. Certainly a game against Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina or Kansas is likely to sell tickets. A game against several other major conferences teams probably would not make much difference. I think the attendance will depend on Henry. It just may be Henry being able to put up big numbers against 300+ teams might do more for attendance than only scoring 10-12 points against other major teams. Throw in the fact, while fans want to watch competitive games, they rather attend a winning game than a losing game. Losing a lot of games against a tougher schedule will not bring in fans. At least we can pretend to be good by beating 300+ teams.

Thank you.  Somebody here gets it.

We can leave the "we're going to lose season ticket holders" discussion behind.  That simply isn't true.  Losing basketball games is what has caused a drop in attendance, and if it continues to drop, it'll be because we're losing.

Look, I get it.  There are a ton of horrible teams on the schedule.  But outside of maybe 5% of Marquette fanbase that come here or to MU's Scout site, how many MU fans are really going to think "Oh baby, we have Belmont coming to the BC tomorrow!" while thinking "No way I'm leaving home to see Stetson."  To a large, large, large majority of season ticket holders, there are 2 categories of home games.  First is big names like Wisconsin, games you can't miss.  The other is basically anybody else, whether it's an RPI of 150 or RPI of 360.  It doesn't matter.  If they want to watch Marquette play they'll go to the game, and if it's too cold or snowing or whatever they won't, regardless of it being Belmont, Grambling, North Dakota State etc.  To the average MU fan and season ticket holder, the games they will be getting this year in non-conference are no different than any other year.  Everyone understands every other year we'll get Wisconsin, and then we'll have 1 other big game at home (Iowa).  95% of fans don't understand that Belmont is actually a good game for Marquette.

Scheduling more Belmonts and less Gramblings will sell maybe 100 more season tickets per year.  Winning 23 games instead of winning 13 will sell thousands more, even if 10 of them are against Gramblings.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2015, 12:28:44 PM »
I posted this to twitter, but a little food for thought.  This is MU's NCSOS and total SOS from 2002 through 2014 per KenPom.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »
The program in general needs a shot in the arm. Better scheduling, revamp the marketing and gameday experience. Obviously making it back to the postseason will help, as will the new arena should it get built. But in the meantime, hopefully ticket sales don't fall off a cliff.

It sure does. The marketing and gameday experience have really gotten stale.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »
Thank you.  Somebody here gets it.

We can leave the "we're going to lose season ticket holders" discussion behind.  That simply isn't true.  Losing basketball games is what has caused a drop in attendance, and if it continues to drop, it'll be because we're losing.

Look, I get it.  There are a ton of horrible teams on the schedule.  But outside of maybe 5% of Marquette fanbase that come here or to MU's Scout site, how many MU fans are really going to think "Oh baby, we have Belmont coming to the BC tomorrow!" while thinking "No way I'm leaving home to see Stetson."  To a large, large, large majority of season ticket holders, there are 2 categories of home games.  First is big names like Wisconsin, games you can't miss.  The other is basically anybody else, whether it's an RPI of 150 or RPI of 360.  It doesn't matter.  If they want to watch Marquette play they'll go to the game, and if it's too cold or snowing or whatever they won't, regardless of it being Belmont, Grambling, North Dakota State etc.  To the average MU fan and season ticket holder, the games they will be getting this year in non-conference are no different than any other year.  Everyone understands every other year we'll get Wisconsin, and then we'll have 1 other big game at home (Iowa).  95% of fans don't understand that Belmont is actually a good game for Marquette.

Scheduling more Belmonts and less Gramblings will sell maybe 100 more season tickets per year.  Winning 23 games instead of winning 13 will sell thousands more, even if 10 of them are against Gramblings.

I disagree.  When you combine last year's results, the gameday experience AND a schedule that the casual fan looks at and goes who?!?!? that will generate a drop of significance in single game tickets this year and ST next year potentially.  Also, I'd argue that STHs are going to be among the more knowledgeable of the fans that will recognize the difference between average and terrible.

Yes winning will cure a lot of things, but you are banking a lot of winning against crappy teams being the cure.  If MU is looking to build excitement around the program they are doing a good job of doing the opposite of that.

Lastly, this is (on paper of course) arguably the worst non-conference schedule in 13 years, the only year close was 2010 with a bunch of new pieces...that was 308, I think this one will be worse.  And we played in the old Big East so our overall SOS was 49 that year....no way we get there with this years Big East