[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8542115 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/20
« Reply #26175 on: May 16, 2020, 07:30:18 PM »
I could probably google this but what is his shoe affiliation

He's currently with MOKAN Elite, which is a Nike EYBL program. He previously played with Dawson Garcia on D1 Minnesota, which I believe is affiliated with adidas. But obviously Garcia ended up here, so that's a positive.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26176 on: May 16, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
Thanks guru, wades and brew!  Know he camped at Kansas.  This is an interesting one
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #26177 on: May 16, 2020, 08:52:38 PM »
I come to this thread for arguments about NIL not recruiting.

👏👏👏

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #26178 on: May 16, 2020, 11:20:42 PM »
He's currently with MOKAN Elite, which is a Nike EYBL program. He previously played with Dawson Garcia on D1 Minnesota, which I believe is affiliated with adidas. But obviously Garcia ended up here, so that's a positive.
This is correct. D1 Minnesota is apart of the Adidas Gauntlet league

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26179 on: May 17, 2020, 06:40:52 AM »
Recruiting news?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #26180 on: May 17, 2020, 02:48:11 PM »
Goal is National Championship

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26181 on: May 18, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
I just finished reading an article on Creighton and the two international prospects they signed recently. It mentioned how Creighton is starting to use this as a recruiting strategy, that they are getting kids from other there that if they were playing HS basketball in the US, it may have been a completely different story. It also mentioned how Gonzaga has really become the "king" of International recruiting(particularly bigs), and if you think about it, International players really have made the Gonzaga program what it is today. They live over there. It got me thinking again about something I have wondered about for years...why doesn't MU recruit internationally(I'm talking Euros etc, no tCanada)?? There's definitely a market inefficiency to exploit and Euro players are almost always very skilled when they come to the US. Think about all the good big men(something MU has lacked for years), that have come from overseas to college, and all the good shooters. This is something I wish MU would utilize as a recruiting option.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26182 on: May 18, 2020, 09:04:33 AM »
I just finished reading an article on Creighton and the two international prospects they signed recently. It mentioned how Creighton is starting to use this as a recruiting strategy, that they are getting kids from other there that if they were playing HS basketball in the US, it may have been a completely different story. It also mentioned how Gonzaga has really become the "king" of International recruiting(particularly bigs), and if you think about it, International players really have made the Gonzaga program what it is today. They live over there. It got me thinking again about something I have wondered about for years...why doesn't MU recruit internationally(I'm talking Euros etc, no tCanada)?? There's definitely a market inefficiency to exploit and Euro players are almost always very skilled when they come to the US. Think about all the good big men(something MU has lacked for years), that have come from overseas to college, and all the good shooters. This is something I wish MU would utilize as a recruiting option.

Agreed

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26183 on: May 18, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »

Euro players can start getting paid at a very very young age. Difficult to tell a kid not to get paid for years so they can move across the world for a chance to see if they'll be good enough to make the NBA. You could make the college value prop but in Europe college is exponentially cheaper and free in some instances so the full ride loses its glamour.

That being said I do agree that it's at least worth checking out, if 99 kids laugh at you and 1 wants to explore the world and sees this as a way to do it then it's not really different than regular Cold calling in recruiting
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:09:16 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26184 on: May 18, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
The Harry Froling experiment went well.

All kidding aside, it may not be a bad idea but I am completely unaware of the potential roadblocks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26185 on: May 18, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »
Agreed

But then you would have to pay for overseas trips, hotels, meals and translators.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26186 on: May 18, 2020, 09:19:59 AM »
To expand more on this, once Creighton had found out Tyshon Alexander was leaving(unexpectedly), think about what their options would have been to replace him this year...no one nearly that caliber left for 2020 HS kids, so they go overseas and pull a kid they had established a relationship with and can be a plug and play PG for them this year. Honestly, that's perfectly well played by them and again, it's something I wish MU would utilize.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26187 on: May 18, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »
We already recruit nationally, and spend a lot of money going from the West Coast to the East Coast chasing recruits. And I'm glad we do.

To do Europe, they would probably have to choose to not go after as many of those kids. Or is the recruiting budget unlimited?

I want my alma mater to get the basketball players from anywhere, so sure, I'm down with bringing in good Euro players, too. But I seriously don't know how pursuing them would impact everything else. Maybe it's very doable; maybe it is less so.

It would be interesting to hear Wojo talk about his philosophy on international players.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #26188 on: May 18, 2020, 09:27:53 AM »
Is it safe to say at this stage its Mane or nobody else for 2020?

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #26189 on: May 18, 2020, 09:36:24 AM »

Davidson definitely takes this route, too.  I think they had 6 international players this year, several of which were starters.  It was probably a case of guys who are good enough to play at a D1 level, but not necessarily good enough play for an upper-tier Euro league team (at least between the ages of 18-22).  You're obviously not going to get the top Euro prospects to come play NCAA ball, but I'm sure a lot of the middle-of-the-road prospects are on par (or better) than top 200 U.S. high schoolers. 

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #26190 on: May 18, 2020, 09:37:27 AM »

Unfortunately it is not that easy. First you have the numbers. According to the article there are 40 players on P6 rosters out of 75 teams. Do you think all of them are better than Cain, Elliott, etc.? So maybe 20 are a clear and significant upgrade over what we have on our roster, give or take a couple.

Second. Schools that are doing this have assistants connected with people over there.  It's almost like you and I being hired and then walking in to an AAU tournament are start recruiting top 30 players with 0 connections. Miller at Arizona has gone the foreigner route this Spring but hired an assistant who specializes. Gonzaga which is the standard bearer also has an assistant that has recruited Europe for years. It's a legitimate argument to say maybe MU could have replaced Stan with a guy with oversees connections but is the guy better than Gainey for the program. It's something that can never be proven.

Third. It is expensive. Creighton may have decided to go this route because so far people are doing it. But if more teams start doing this and competition heats up. It is the best use of financial resources? Again. That's up for each program to decide.

Fourth. You have to have a coach committed to recruiting Europe. It's not a coach can jump on a plane at noon. Visit with a kid in LA or NYC and still be in his bed by midnight. It's a 2 or 3 day trip minimum.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26191 on: May 18, 2020, 09:38:40 AM »
Is it safe to say at this stage its Mane or nobody else for 2020?

I think that's probably fair...it's been my belief after Perez, that they will end up carrying the available scholarship over to use for the 2021 class. Since I think the Mane ship has sailed, the only way I personally see them using that scholarship for 2020 is a Mac Etienne reclass or POSSIBLY a really good transfer that hasn't entered the portal yet(but I don't see that). So I think they are done for 2020.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26192 on: May 18, 2020, 10:08:35 AM »
I think that's probably fair...it's been my belief after Perez, that they will end up carrying the available scholarship over to use for the 2021 class. Since I think the Mane ship has sailed, the only way I personally see them using that scholarship for 2020 is a Mac Etienne reclass or POSSIBLY a really good transfer that hasn't entered the portal yet(but I don't see that). So I think they are done for 2020.

I am not a believer in ever having 13 kids unless you are going to redshirt kids who are not ready, ie. Akanno.  Today with all the transferring you have. you have to try and keep kids happy which means playing time.  With 4 open scholarships open for next year (maybe 5 or 6) you really have to spend your time for 2021.  A little concerned if Mac Etienne does not come to MU, are they recruiting any other bigs to play center?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26193 on: May 18, 2020, 10:17:25 AM »
I am not a believer in ever having 13 kids unless you are going to redshirt kids who are not ready, ie. Akanno.  Today with all the transferring you have. you have to try and keep kids happy which means playing time.  With 4 open scholarships open for next year (maybe 5 or 6) you really have to spend your time for 2021.  A little concerned if Mac Etienne does not come to MU, are they recruiting any other bigs to play center?

For 2021? They have been connected to Chet Holmgren (would be shocked if he came here) and Samson Johnson. They've also been in on DaRon Holmes and Eric van der Heijden. Both are forwards, not centers but I think that might be the direction Wojo wants to take the program in. The need for a classic aircraft carrier type is at an all time low and more and more programs are running with 3 or 4 guards and 1 or 2 forward sets. That being said, I think the staff feels pretty good about Etienne at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #26194 on: May 18, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »
For 2021? They have been connected to Chet Holmgren (would be shocked if he came here) and Samson Johnson. They've also been in on DaRon Holmes and Eric van der Heijden. Both are forwards, not centers but I think that might be the direction Wojo wants to take the program in. The need for a classic aircraft carrier type is at an all time low and more and more programs are running with 3 or 4 guards and 1 or 2 forward sets. That being said, I think the staff feels pretty good about Etienne at this point.

A feeling or some telephone? Really like Samson and Etienne.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26195 on: May 18, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »
For 2021? They have been connected to Chet Holmgren (would be shocked if he came here) and Samson Johnson. They've also been in on DaRon Holmes and Eric van der Heijden. Both are forwards, not centers but I think that might be the direction Wojo wants to take the program in. The need for a classic aircraft carrier type [/b]is at an all time low and more and more programs are running with 3 or 4 guards and 1 or 2 forward sets. That being said, I think the staff feels pretty good about Etienne at this point.
I think this is more of a reflection that they are rare and if you get one they are most likely one and done. Kansas was the favorite to win the NCAA tournament this year, because they had a dominate center.
Imagine if MU could sign another Jim Chones and have him stay all four years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26196 on: May 18, 2020, 11:03:49 AM »
I think this is more of a reflection that they are rare and if you get one they are most likely one and done. Kansas was the favorite to win the NCAA tournament this year, because they had a dominate center.

Since they are rare, and hard to hold onto even if you land one, then it is probably best for Wojo to concentrate on a different recruiting strategy.  Especially since it has been proven that you can win without one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26197 on: May 18, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »

Even back in the early-70s, they couldn't have Jim Chones stay all four years!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26198 on: May 18, 2020, 02:45:31 PM »

I don't think they are rare at all. There are plenty of 6'9"-7'1" big men who can't attack or defend away from the hoop. I think it is rare for them to be good enough to demand significantly playing time by overcoming the change in style that we've seen in the past 10-15 years that minimizes their role and emphasizes mobility and shooting.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26199 on: May 18, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »
https://stockrisers.com/2020/05/18/top-60-junior-jordan-hawkins-discusses-his-recruitment-new-programs-involved/

2021 Jordan Hawkins mentioned us in a recent interview. Gave pretty canned 1 sentence statements about each of the schools recruiting him.
TAMU

feedback