[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked  (Read 41391 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »
The more I read, the more this feels like Tim and Jeronne Mammon.

My thought exactly, Brother Tower.

And where is Jeronne Maymon playing in the NBA?  In the stands maybe?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2019, 04:16:25 PM »
I want to know what Wojo did to engender the type of support he enjoys on this corner of the Internet.

The honest and easy answer:  he got hired by Marquette.  That's pretty much the long and short of it.

A slightly longer answer, he recruited some pretty good players, had a pretty good season (with an awful ending) and seemed to have the program headed in the right direction.

As of today, I'm reassessing my thoughts on the last of those three things.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »
My thought exactly, Brother Tower.

And where is Jeronne Maymon playing in the NBA?  In the stands maybe?

Multiple knee injuries derailed his career.  He retired and is now an assistant at Mizzou.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2019, 04:18:45 PM »
Tim and Jeronne Maymon are not an exact comparison, just a shorthand.         
       There was clearly tension when Joey didn't get the ball when and where he wanted it during the season.     This is purely speculation, but what if.....    Joey wanted to be featured in the offense.     Markus said he was returning. What if Wojo told Joey that he not only would not be featured, but that he would have to beat out Bailey for minutes and a starting position.    Or that with Koby, Wojo was going to be playing a lot more 3 guard offense next year with Sacar, Koby, and Markus.   And maybe Torrence.    Joey, who thought that the offense should run through him and his brother, was displeased.    Which drifted up to his parents.   

So it became about a young player thinking he should be used differently by the coach.       As opposed to the young player's father wanting his son used differently.   

Pure speculation.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2019, 06:44:11 PM »
If my hypothesis is right, what should Wojo have done?     Featured Joey?     Featured Sam?    Promised that Joey would again play at least 29 mpg?     In all seriousness, what if the cause of all of this is that Wojo told Joey that he was not going to be featured and would be competing for minutes and a starting position?    Is it Wojo's fault then?     And if so, how?    If this stems from Joey not being featured and Markus returning, please explain what Wojo should have done or what you would have done or said if you were the coach.

Now those are some tough questions.    What if it all boils down to a young man wanting to be featured  (Odartey Blankston, Jeronne Maymon) and being told it wasn't going to happen the next year?     That the BEPOY and second team all American was still going to be the alpha?     And, oh, by the way,  Bailey plays better defense than you.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2019, 06:55:23 PM »
Tim and Jeronne Maymon are not an exact comparison, just a shorthand.         
       There was clearly tension when Joey didn't get the ball when and where he wanted it during the season.     This is purely speculation, but what if.....    Joey wanted to be featured in the offense.     Markus said he was returning. What if Wojo told Joey that he not only would not be featured, but that he would have to beat out Bailey for minutes and a starting position.    Or that with Koby, Wojo was going to be playing a lot more 3 guard offense next year with Sacar, Koby, and Markus.   And maybe Torrence.    Joey, who thought that the offense should run through him and his brother, was displeased.    Which drifted up to his parents.   

So it became about a young player thinking he should be used differently by the coach.       As opposed to the young player's father wanting his son used differently.   

Pure speculation.

What if Sam, Joey, their parents and teammates were frustrated that Markus's already extremely high usage rate went through the roof while his efficiency tumbled and the team collapsed?

Pure speculation but many fewer moving parts than yours. Occum's Razor.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
I'm fairly certain Wojo will be coaching MU when the season starts, but it'll be really tense (I guess is the right word) if MU is struggling early in the season in a home game. The MU fan base wouldn't boo MU athletes, but I can see things getting real awkward at games or in press conferences quickly for Wojo. There was a lot of pressure for him to coach well next season, it's going to be incredibly difficult for him next year. When he gets introduced at the Fiserv next year, I know I for one will look at him with a bit of disgust for being at the helm of this mess. Barring a run into the second weekend next March, I don't see any way he isn't in massive trouble a year from now. I could ultimately see both sides agreeing to mutually dissolve, he's in almost as literal a no win situation that I've seen a college basketball coach in heading into a year.
if this is true,and I believe you are dead on, then why hang onto wojo. Cut bait now and move on from this mess otherwise he is dead man walking all next season. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2019, 06:57:39 PM »
A lot of you are putting spins on this in are in complete denial. The hausers didnt leave because  their dad told them to. Or because they felt they wouldn't play.

We lost 2 of our top 4 players. That sucks, and we all know why it happened.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »
If my hypothesis is right, what should Wojo have done?     Featured Joey?     Featured Sam?    Promised that Joey would again play at least 29 mpg?     In all seriousness, what if the cause of all of this is that Wojo told Joey that he was not going to be featured and would be competing for minutes and a starting position?    Is it Wojo's fault then?     And if so, how?    If this stems from Joey not being featured and Markus returning, please explain what Wojo should have done or what you would have done or said if you were the coach.

Now those are some tough questions.    What if it all boils down to a young man wanting to be featured  (Odartey Blankston, Jeronne Maymon) and being told it wasn't going to happen the next year?     That the BEPOY and second team all American was still going to be the alpha?     And, oh, by the way,  Bailey plays better defense than you.

I think you have to know your players and know how to manage people. There's a way to send that message to Joey while making it a productive and positive conversation to make him a better player. Maybe that message was already sent and this is the end result. I'm a firm believer when it comes to managing people, you don't manage everyone the same way. The natural maturation of a good freshman player would be to be even better next year.

If Wojo didn't realize that whatever message he (hypothetically) was trying to send to Joey, wasn't going to get on Sam's nerves as well, then that's a colossal fail on Wojo's part. If you were going to take a hardline with Joey, much better to lose him after this upcoming season, than before.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2019, 06:58:28 PM »
What if Sam, Joey, their parents and teammates were frustrated that Markus's already extremely high usage rate went through the roof while his efficiency tumbled and the team collapsed?

Pure speculation but many fewer moving parts than yours. Occum's Razor.

Bingo
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
we all know why it happened.

I for one have no idea why it happened.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »

This is pure speculation and defense of Wojo. Joe zhauser has his faults but is a better player than Bailey. You continue to excuse Wojo performance and cannot see how this and the season ending melt down are on Wojo.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2019, 07:26:01 PM »
As many have said, the coaching staff's inability to reign in Markus lead to this. In the games at Georgetown and at Providence (Markus was hobbled and didn't shoot much) the ball moved, everyone felt involved and Sam had big games. Sam probably wants more opportunities like that.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »
I think Dish and Sugar have raised excellent points.

My overwhelming perception during the late-season collapse was that it was too sudden and complete to not be something in their minds. I wondered if it was a group gag. I guess with kids these days, especially those who have been the stars all along so far, it comes down to the fact that there is only one ball. Can it be that simple?

I have not been an outspoken Wojo critic, and have felt that things were going (slowly) in the right direction. But as Dish said, this is a dark day for MUball, and I think it's on Wojo, primarily for his inability to coordinate the needs and abilities of his players. I love Markus, but the season went as he did. Once he started to perform less well (injury to off wrist or nay), there was no accommodation for that. Frustration grew, and now we have the detritus.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »
Would you want your son playing for Wojo?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2019, 07:32:54 PM »
Like I said earlier, Markus gonna end up being labeled as the bad guy.  Just pitiful.

Markus averaged 6.5 more shots a game than Sam. Isn't it reasonable that a good shooter who can get his own shot almost at will would shoot much more than a guy who can't?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »

You keep saying this as though Wojo is some complete degenerate.

Yes, From what I know I would. He seems like a decent enough guy, cares about his players as shown by the Matt Heldt press conference.

He may not be a good x and o guy, but he’s not a bad person.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »
Markus averaged 6.5 more shots a game than Sam. Isn't it reasonable that a good shooter who can get his own shot almost at will would shoot much more than a guy who can't?

You mean the second team all-American who was a NPOY candidate?  Yup, makes sense to me.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2019, 08:07:24 PM »

In a rec basketball league maybe? 

Let’s not forget this gem.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjD7Yf0f00

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2019, 08:09:40 PM »
Was going to post the same thing.  Many have said this will crush Sam's NBA chances...if I were advising Sam I would tell him the best chance he has to play in the league is to go play for TB at UVA for 2 years. 

If UVA wants Sam and Joey it really tells you the caliber of players they are as TB should be able to recruit who he wants given the recent success of a few of his players in the NBA, a national championship, and two more NBA players on the way.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »
You keep saying this as though Wojo is some complete degenerate.

Yes, From what I know I would. He seems like a decent enough guy, cares about his players as shown by the Matt Heldt press conference.

He may not be a good x and o guy, but he’s not a bad person.

So, let's say your kid is a recruited D-1 basketball player and you have choices of several programs. Why take a chance on Wojo? What has he accomplished? Can he win big? Can he get your son ready to compete in the Association? Again, do you want your son playing for Wojo?
Essentially, Wojo is finished and has no credibility with Wisconsin AAU or high school coaches. Negative recruiting will neuter Wojo.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:39:53 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
What other coaches?    What other programs?    What kind of atmosphere does my kid want?    In other words, if Wojo offered, and my kid wanted to play for him, I would not stop him.   

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »

So, let's say your kid is a recruited D-1 basketball player and you have choices of several programs. Why take a chance on Wojo? What has he accomplished? Can he win big? Can he get your son ready to compete in the Association? Again, do you want your son playing for Wojo?
Essentially, Wojo is finished and has no credibility with Wisconsin AAU or high school coaches. Negative recruiting will neuter Wojo.

An accurate assessment.  Finding, recruiting, and developing a NBA player involves a bit of luck, but besides Ellenson, what players have progressed through Marquette to the NBA?  Where is the Crowder or Butler in the Wojo era?  If you were a coach, would you look at Wojo and say he could get my star high school player to the NBA?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2019, 08:57:41 PM »
I am not sure Joey did not see the writing on the wall. I thought there was a good chance he would not start next year. Either being replaced by Anim or Bailey at the three.
EXACTLY.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2019, 09:02:08 PM »
An accurate assessment.  Finding, recruiting, and developing a NBA player involves a bit of luck, but besides Ellenson, what players have progressed through Marquette to the NBA?  Where is the Crowder or Butler in the Wojo era?  If you were a coach, would you look at Wojo and say he could get my star high school player to the NBA?

I dunno if you are/were a buzz guy, but I'd say wojo has about the same track record with high school kids as he did.

feedback