'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruits in MKE this week  (Read 23863 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: Recruits in MKE this week
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »
I remember vividly walking into the gym for my son's first AAU game at Nicolet in 4th grade. I sat next to Nobel's dad and he talked to me the entire game and our sons were playing each other. Nobel was huge and playing "up." He was real wiry and gangly, but so much taller than the other kids. We played him again this year and lost by 4, and Nobel only had 4 points. But he dominated the game with his defense and rebounding. I've never seen him force a shot. Cool to see these kids grow. He is going to be a player.

Freeport, does you kid have skills? Any chance he'll be donning the MU jersey?
Bring back FFP!!!

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
Freeport, does you kid have skills? Any chance he'll be donning the MU jersey?
Highly doubtful. He will be a good high school player. He's a gym rat with the misfortune of having my gene pool. I just ran into Joe Hauser (Sam's "little" brother) after our game he and he is all of 6' 5". He does not look like an 8th grader/incoming freshman.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
Highly doubtful. He will be a good high school player. He's a gym rat with the misfortune of having my gene pool. I just ran into Joe Hauser (Sam's "little" brother) after our game he and he is all of 6' 5". He does not look like an 8th grader/incoming freshman.
Are these Hausers related to the Hauser that played for MUHS in the 1970's?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »
From all I have heard, Dekker was pretty cocky when he arrived in Madison. Bo had to put him in his place, because while he is/was a skilled offensive player, he is/was pathetic on defense when he arrived -- as in not even caring about help D or being in position for it. He would get railed in practice for it and taken out in games in favor of Evans who was shooting like 30% from the line. I'm sure it was a tough transition, but I think Dekker will be much better for it and I had heard things are much better all around.

About halfway through reading your post, I started to think about JJJ, Deonte and Dawson...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »
Trevor Andershock ‏@INBBallSource  19m
2017 Marquette commit Philip Flory was stellar for Playground Elite against Kingdom Hoops. He can score at all 3 levels on the floor. 27 points and 5 assists

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 07:57:11 PM »
Thx Mark--appreciate the updates.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
Trevor Andershock ‏@INBBallSource  19m
2017 Marquette commit Philip Flory was stellar for Playground Elite against Kingdom Hoops. He can score at all 3 levels on the floor. 27 points and 5 assists

EXCITED!
SS Marquette

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »
NY2LA SPORTS LIVE ‏@NY2LASPORTSLIVE  9m 
 More
 Final Score 17U - MILWAUKEE SPARTANS 74 MN COMETS LEWIS 71. Matt Heldt 25pts, Brindley Theisen 24pts.  #NY2LANEXTLEVEL2K14

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
I watched a ton of Heldt and Hauser today.  MU Asst. Coach Chris Carrawell watched both players for two games each and then Wojo was there for each of their last games. Heldt seems to be a great teammate and very active on the glass. He can shoot the three and made a few when I was watching. His Spartans were down pretty much all game to Pritzl's Playground Warriors, then they applied insane full court pressure and ended up winning by double digits to get to the championship game, which just ended after multiple OTs. Heldt and Spartans lost to Ike Wilson's Playground Elite.

During the Spartan/Playground game, I thought about of my Scoop brethren. I was watching the game with some MU guys and we all agreed that we are going to LOVE rooting against Pritzl when he becomes a Badger. He flops, whines, talks crap ALL GAME LONG. He might end up being the WI Player of Year because he will be an insane scorer up north, but he will be so easy to root against for the next four years.

I liked Helt this weekend, but I loved Hauser. Dude can score from anywhere. He has the perfect pull-up jumper. My son said it reminded him of a Ray Allen release, just so smooth. He hit a few catch-and-shoots and you could see Wojo nod his head and talk to his crew about him. Trevor Anderson from the same Academy team was a stud as well. He looks like a solid D1 guard. I just saw a half of their first game when Hauser and Co. were going against Flory (who was playing up a year). Flory looked ok, but nowhere near as polished as Hauser.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
This is the way NY2LA makes the big money. They sell a "roster" book to all of the coaches for $200 to each coach -- there were somewhere like 500 coaches for this week and even more for their tourney next week. Plus, each team pays $600 entry fee. Dude is making money.

D-I coaches packets this weekend were $250, I do believe.

Anyway, typical. Fortunately credentialed media at events usually receives a coaches packet (or a scaled-down version without certain contact information).

AAU programs **should** have rosters on hand and websites with up-to-date information. It would be good for their players and just make a lot of sense. The vast majority do not. Some day perhaps this changes. Bidness opp.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
I watched a ton of Heldt and Hauser today.  MU Asst. Coach Chris Carrawell watched both players for two games each and then Wojo was there for each of their last games. Heldt seems to be a great teammate and very active on the glass. He can shoot the three and made a few when I was watching. His Spartans were down pretty much all game to Pritzl's Playground Warriors, then they applied insane full court pressure and ended up winning by double digits to get to the championship game, which just ended after multiple OTs. Heldt and Spartans lost to Ike Wilson's Playground Elite.

During the Spartan/Playground game, I thought about of my Scoop brethren. I was watching the game with some MU guys and we all agreed that we are going to LOVE rooting against Pritzl when he becomes a Badger. He flops, whines, talks crap ALL GAME LONG. He might end up being the WI Player of Year because he will be an insane scorer up north, but he will be so easy to root against for the next four years.

I liked Helt this weekend, but I loved Hauser. Dude can score from anywhere. He has the perfect pull-up jumper. My son said it reminded him of a Ray Allen release, just so smooth. He hit a few catch-and-shoots and you could see Wojo nod his head and talk to his crew about him. Trevor Anderson from the same Academy team was a stud as well. He looks like a solid D1 guard. I just saw a half of their first game when Hauser and Co. were going against Flory (who was playing up a year). Flory looked ok, but nowhere near as polished as Hauser.

Evan Flood(Badger based recruiting guy) predicted Hauser to MU last night

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
Evan Flood ‏@Evan_Flood  18h 
 More
 Loved #Marquette commit Matt Heldt today. Had 48 points in two games. Has vastly improved his perimeter shooting. #NY2LANEXTLEVEL2K14 #mubb

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 12:37:48 PM »
You can get an impression when you see a player only once, which may not be correct.

I was there on Thursday and I really liked Hauser. It seems like other people have also been impressed.

When I was watching Heldt he missed his outside shots and only scored on rebounds. I liked his passing, rebound positioning and he seemed to run the floor well. I was questioning his shooting, but it seems like I was just watching him at the wrong time.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »
I was questioning his shooting, but it seems like I was just watching him at the wrong time.
I think your concerns are legit. I saw him twice and his shooting is decent, he got a lot of points on putbacks. It's not like he's going to be Steve Novak, but he has good form and CAN knock them down from distance. Once he gets to MU and is fully immersed into the program, Heldt and Fischer are going to give us the kind of bigs we haven't seen in some time. These guys will knock down the 12-foot baseline jumpers ala Hayward/Fulce with the height and body to be able to bang in the middle. It's hard to project their development, but Heldt just reminded me of neighborhood kid with floppy hair running up and down the court having fun and encouraging his teammates. He is real active on the offensive glass, but I had no idea he had that many points. Both player and family seem very "low ego" compared to most in this setting.

brandx

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
Freeport - appreciate all the updates and info from you, JayBee and MUMark.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 09:17:13 PM »
Freeport - appreciate all the updates and info from you, JayBee and MUMark.
One final roundup on weekend:

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=2270

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=2269

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 10:23:13 PM »
Warrior  thanks to you and the others who keep us updated

Gracie Mille