'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] TSW Viewing Guide  (Read 8397 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] TSW Viewing Guide
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2019, 03:14:44 PM »
IMO, there is a zero percent chance this team isn't at least a 3 seed if they win out.  ZERO.  Happy to put any amount of wager on that.   

But carry on.  Just felt I should tell the guy stressing about the results of relatively random ACC, B12 or insert whatever conference game on a Tuesday night.  These results, again IMO, are not nearly as important as say other bubble teams losing for fellow bubble teams.

I don't think anyone is stressing out (I don't think?).  This stuff is FUN.   If you don't care, cool then let us enjoy it without pooping on our parade.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
LSU
PUR
HOU
KU
FSU
NEV
All in different conferences. If these teams all win out.....like us.......there is more than a ZERO percent chance of MU not landing on the 3 line. It certainly can happen. Additionally, if KSU (beats TT AND KU for example) or VT (beats Duke/Virg/UNC) in their respective tournaments, their 5 wins (or # of remaining games) will be stronger than our 5 wins.
What teams do who are close to us does matter.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »
LSU
PUR
HOU
KU
FSU
NEV
All in different conferences. If these teams all win out.....like us.......there is more than a ZERO percent chance of MU not landing on the 3 line. It certainly can happen. Additionally, if KSU (beats TT AND KU for example) or VT (beats Duke/Virg/UNC) in their respective tournaments, their 5 wins (or # of remaining games) will be stronger than our 5 wins.
What teams do who are close to us does matter.

Nevada isn't getting a 3. Don't disagree much on the rest.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
The teams right in front of us or behind us besides Houston play in the Big Ten, SEC, ACC and B12, so its going to be hard for them all to win out.  They're going to play each other.

Actually no. None of the teams right in front of us play each other.

The teams that we could pass or be passed by are:

Michigan State
Texas Tech
LSU
Purdue
Houston
Kansas
Florida State
Wisconsin
Virginia Tech
Kansas State

None of those teams play each other in the final games of the regular season. With 1 SEC team, 1 AAC team, 3 B1G teams 3 B12 teams, and 2 ACC teams the tournaments could easily play out so the the teams that matter to us don't play each other until it is too late.

IMO, there is a zero percent chance this team isn't at least a 3 seed if they win out.  ZERO.  Happy to put any amount of wager on that.

You may be right that it happens, but you are wrong about the zero % chance. For example:

Michigan State wins out and loses in the B1GT semifinals
Texas Tech wins out and loses in B12T championship to Kansas
LSU wins out including the SECT
Purdue wins out and loses to Wisconsin in the B1GT championship
Houston wins out including the AACT
Kansas wins out including the B12T
Florida State wins out and loses ACCT championship to Virginia Tech
Wisconsin wins out including the B1GT
Virginia Tech wins out including the ACCT

In that scenario, not only would Marquette not be a 3-seed, there is a chance they could get pushed to a 5-seed depending on the wins different teams picked up in the conference  tournaments. Now this scenario isn't likely, but it is possible, which is why other games matter. And while the above is a worst case scenario, there are several other scenarios where a 5-0 Marquette team gets a 4 seed because the wrong teams ahead of them won as well.

I don't think anyone is stressing out (I don't think?).  This stuff is FUN.   If you don't care, cool then let us enjoy it without pooping on our parade.

But mostly this  ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:14:57 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 05:40:29 PM »
Actually no. None of the teams right in front of us play each other.

The teams that we could pass or be passed by are:

Michigan State
Texas Tech
LSU
Purdue
Houston
Kansas
Florida State
Wisconsin
Virginia Tech
Kansas State

None of those teams play each other in the final games of the regular season. With 1 SEC team, 1 AAC team, 3 B1G teams 3 B12 teams, and 2 ACC teams the tournaments could easily play out so the the teams that matter to us don't play each other until it is too late.

You may be right that it happens, but you are wrong about the zero % chance. For example:

Michigan State wins out and loses in the B1GT semifinals
Texas Tech wins out and loses in B12T championship to Kansas
LSU wins out including the SECT
Purdue wins out and loses to Wisconsin in the B1GT championship
Houston wins out including the AACT
Kansas wins out including the B12T
Florida State wins out and loses ACCT championship to Virginia Tech
Wisconsin wins out including the B1GT
Virginia Tech wins out including the ACCT

In that scenario, not only would Marquette not be a 3-seed, there is a chance they could get pushed to a 5-seed depending on the wins different teams picked up in the conference  tournaments. Now this scenario isn't likely, but it is possible, which is why other games matter. And while the above is a worst case scenario, there are several other scenarios where a 5-0 Marquette team gets a 4 seed because the wrong teams ahead of them won as well.

But mostly this  ;D

1) I was referring to remaining league games + conference tournaments. All those teams can’t win their conference tournaments.

2) sure there are scenarios that MU could win out and get a 4. The odds are long. Still happy to make that wager with anyone. Any result that doesn’t end up with MU winning out through BET is a push.

3) Not to get all wades, but the majority of what matters is MU games. The other results have some bearing on where MU could land obviously, but it’s really not that important. They don’t need other teams to lose to get in. Their seed range is fairly narrow. 

Also not trying to poop on anyone’s parade. I agree this stuff is fun. If people wanna get all excited about LSU-Florida in hopes that an LSU loss may result in MU being a 3 seed, go right ahead! Enjoy the hoops while it lasts, it’ll be over in just a couple weeks! ☹️
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »
3) Not to get all wades, but the majority of what matters is MU games.

There we go. We started with "It really doesn't matter" and got to "The majority of what matters MU games" which I think everyone would agree with.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2019, 06:30:36 PM »
There we go. We started with "It really doesn't matter" and got to "The majority of what matters MU games" which I think everyone would agree with.

If you want to split hairs, the comment was it doesn’t really matter. As in it matters, but not that much.  ;D 8-) :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:34:19 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.