[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WI Supreme Court Takes McAdams' Case  (Read 75635 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: WI Supreme Court Takes McAdams' Case
« Reply #375 on: July 04, 2018, 09:16:01 PM »
My guess is for decisions you don't agree with it is political, for those you do, it is justice.  Same for the other side.  We have courts for a reason, because laws can be interpreted differently and not always the way we want to see it through our own life experiences. 

Will wait to hear the decision before weighing in.

totally agree with this analysis-no source necessary ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #376 on: July 05, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
If MU loses, as many on here suspect they will, does anyone know if they plan to appeal at the federal level?  Is that even an option for them as the defendant in this case?  Not being an attorney, I have no idea what recourse either side has in appealing the matter further through the federal system, whether both sides or just one even has that option after the decision.  Although I'm not taking a side one way or the other, I've been following this case closely out of interest and would love learn more from atty scoopers out there on what the potential next steps (if any) for either side might be.  Thanks in advance.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #377 on: July 05, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
If MU loses, as many on here suspect they will, does anyone know if they plan to appeal at the federal level?  Is that even an option for them as the defendant in this case?  Not being an attorney, I have no idea what recourse either side has in appealing the matter further through the federal system, whether both sides or just one even has that option after the decision.  Although I'm not taking a side one way or the other, I've been following this case closely out of interest and would love learn more from atty scoopers out there on what the potential next steps (if any) for either side might be.  Thanks in advance.

Normally, the only court to which a party can appeal a state supreme court judgment is the U.S. Supreme Court -- no intermediary federal court. So without knowing specifics about this case (which may change the calculation), if MU wanted to appeal, it would file for cert in the U.S. Supreme Court. Then, if the Supreme Court grants cert, it gets argued and decided by the them.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #378 on: July 05, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
Should MU admins be sent to prison for the atrocities committed against Mr. McAdams??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #379 on: July 05, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »
Normally, the only court to which a party can appeal a state supreme court judgment is the U.S. Supreme Court -- no intermediary federal court. So without knowing specifics about this case (which may change the calculation), if MU wanted to appeal, it would file for cert in the U.S. Supreme Court. Then, if the Supreme Court grants cert, it gets argued and decided by the them.

Interesting thanks.  So cases that go through the federal system or circuit court of appeals started in the Federal system to begin with and state supreme court decisions are appealed directly to SCOTUS who decides whether to hear it or not.  Got it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #380 on: July 05, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
Should MU admins be sent to prison for the atrocities committed against Mr. McAdams??

Pfft. Why go soft on them?
Nothing short of a public dismemberment should be tolerated.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #381 on: July 05, 2018, 04:46:40 PM »
Shut down the basketball program.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #382 on: July 05, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »

So, the nuclear option (aka Hiroshima)?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #383 on: July 05, 2018, 07:20:04 PM »

why punish the fans?  we didn't tell lovell to make a stupid decision.  expel lovell

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #384 on: July 05, 2018, 07:21:29 PM »
  why punish the fans?  we didn't tell lovell to make a stupid decision.  expel lovell

Lovell made a great decision regardless of how a politicized court rules.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #385 on: July 05, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »

Lovell made a great decision regardless of how a politicized court rules.

so when a ref or an ump make a bad call, they're homers, eyn'a?  weak...very weak.  once again, you reveal your incomprehension of the rule of law and the constitution.  if the decision goes sully's way, it's more wine for my friends?   oy vey

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #386 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
so when a ref or an ump make a bad call, they're homers, eyn'a?  weak...very weak.  once again, you reveal your incomprehension of the rule of law and the constitution.  if the decision goes sully's way, it's more wine for my friends?   oy vey

I know that you like to think that your parroting of Fox News, Mark Belling and like equates to “knowledge,” but it doesn’t. It means you are nothing but an empty vessel.

This isn’t a Constitutional issue. It’s a contractual one.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #387 on: July 05, 2018, 09:09:17 PM »

State supreme courts can decide contractual cases, too. 

Hartford Elevator vs Lauer, WI supreme court
Mackenzie vs Patricia Best, WI supreme court
Manitowoc vs Lanning, WI supreme court (2018)

Other examples, of course.  Maybe the decision doesn't go how you think it will. Whichever way it goes, there will be sound legal arguments for both sides, unless it is a slam dunk unanimous decision.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #388 on: July 05, 2018, 09:20:32 PM »
State supreme courts can decide contractual cases, too. 

No sh*t

Quote from: WarriorDad link=topic=55408.msg1030885
Maybe the decision doesn't go how you think it will. Whichever way it goes, there will be sound legal arguments for both sides, unless it is a slam dunk unanimous decision.

Stop passing yourself off as a pansy a$$ moderate. You’re not fooling anyone.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #389 on: July 05, 2018, 10:57:52 PM »
I know that you like to think that your parroting of Fox News, Mark Belling and like equates to “knowledge,” but it doesn’t. It means you are nothing but an empty vessel.

you know nothing-you are nothing but a partisan hack trying to demean those who see the world different than you.  you might like to think you are right all the time there sluggo, but your myopic viewpoint of how the supreme court works is lazy at best.  i also don't know how fox news and belling play into this...swing and a miss.  just sit back and take the medicine.  in your case, i hope it's a big m-f'ing laxative suppository-if there is anyone on this board who needs it-just grab something, bite your lip and give it hell

reinko

• All American
« Reply #390 on: July 06, 2018, 04:07:55 AM »
you know nothing-you are nothing but a partisan hack trying to demean those who see the world different than you.  you might like to think you are right all the time there sluggo, but your myopic viewpoint of how the supreme court works is lazy at best.  i also don't know how fox news and belling play into this...swing and a miss.  just sit back and take the medicine.  in your case, i hope it's a big m-f'ing laxative suppository-if there is anyone on this board who needs it-just grab something, bite your lip and give it hell

What a civil response.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #392 on: July 06, 2018, 08:43:57 AM »
What a civil response.

i treat people as they treat me-sully has too long been the board bully beating down anyone in his way and/or views thinking he is the know all/be all.  yes there is a civil way to disagree, but i am sick and tired of his "i know better than ya'll.  read my responses to most others who disagree with me and i can be ok with those, but...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #393 on: July 06, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
i treat people as they treat me-sully has too long been the board bully beating down anyone in his way and/or views thinking he is the know all/be all.  yes there is a civil way to disagree, but i am sick and tired of his "i know better than ya'll.  read my responses to most others who disagree with me and i can be ok with those, but...

<sad trombone>

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #394 on: July 06, 2018, 09:02:54 AM »

Stop passing yourself off as a pansy a$$ moderate. You’re not fooling anyone.

Not every is as hyper partisan as you or Rocketsurgeon.  There is a large middle in this country.  It used to be that both sides were quiet close on things, but we have been pulled apart for the last 10 to 20 years to an absurd state.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #395 on: July 06, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »

Cool it, no need for this
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #396 on: July 06, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
Not every is as hyper partisan as you or Rocketsurgeon.  There is a large middle in this country.  It used to be that both sides were quiet close on things, but we have been pulled apart for the last 10 to 20 years to an absurd state.

There is nothing wrong with being a moderate. There is something wrong with portraying yourself as a pansy a$$ moderate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #397 on: July 06, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »
To no one’s surprise, the partisan court intervened in a private contractural dispute and ruled for McAdams.

Props to Lovell for doing the right thing. It’s not easy in this day and age to stand up for people.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #398 on: July 06, 2018, 09:14:07 AM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2018/07/06/marquette-professor-john-mcadams-prevails-academic-freedom-case/759800002/?csp=chromepush

There will be considerable press today and through the weekend on this.  Good arguments on both sides.  I did not realize this could have been 3-3 as on jurist recused themselves.

— Plato

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #399 on: July 06, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »

While I don't always agree with Sultan, his responses are way less partisan and way more logical than yours.

feedback