[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 125267 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: K-12 Schools & COVID
« Reply #925 on: January 06, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »
40 years is probably about right. It coincides with woman’s liberation. Women have always been the backbone of K -12 education and 40 (50,60,70) years ago opportunities for women in the work force were limited - almost non existent. Most of the best and the brightest chose teaching (or nursing) as a career because it was all that was available. Now the smartest, most creative and most driven  women have options - and the people who once were teachers can now be doctors, lawyers, business professionals, etc. - IMO the solution isn’t giving our present teachers more money/greater benefits - it’s raising salaries/benefits in order to attract a new generation of more qualified teachers.

LOL.  Come on....  40 years ago was 1980.  Not 1950.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #926 on: January 06, 2022, 10:43:11 AM »

There have been upsurges in absenteeism in both health care and fire and police personnel.  This isn't limited to teachers.

Completely anecdotal, but I work with a local alderperson who shared that the municipality is seeing more and more police and fire personnel turn down overtime that was routinely taken in the past and the people overseeing those areas are saying it is due to limiting exposure.

tower and brew could chime in here too.

This wave is racking us worse than previous waves.     Actually browning out machines.    First time since the great recession.  Of course, part of my department's problem is they have never brought staffing up to pre-recession numbers.    20% smaller than 15 years ago.  Less cushion, less people available to work.       Same thing on the police side in my municipality.    Overtime not being picked up.    Dispatchers telling car accidents to trade insurance and drive away if the accident is minor.   Other minor calls just being shunted to the side.   
    I feel horrible for the teachers.   I look at that family in Oxford, Michigan, and realize that there are a whole lot of parents out there just like that.     Self absorbed with terrible parenting skills.      And the teachers actually do their job and report troubling behavior and the parents are able to walk away and refuse to deal with it.  If the teacher attempts to discipline, the parents come and scream at the teacher as their child has never received discipline because they are perfect.   
   Projecting that to the current COVID wave, the teachers have little to no idea what the vaccination status is in their classroom and if they attempt to enforce masking, some darling is going to project the Karen tendencies of their parents and throw a hissy.     As well as parents sending their children to school knowing they are symptomatic.     
   Lenny, I am sure your school district would appreciate you signing up to substitute teach.     And this is a question directly to you.   If you won't, why not?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #927 on: January 06, 2022, 10:45:35 AM »
I get it Lenny, the plebs should be happy with gruel.  And they should be thankful they even get gruel!  Sacrifice yourselves and your mental and physical health for the greater good of the economy!

Maybe, just maybe, we should start paying our 'essential' workers what they're worth to society and treating them with respect.  Calling them heroes, and thanking them for their service is a platitude at best, and insulting at worst.

Sorry, Hards - you don’t get it -at all.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #928 on: January 06, 2022, 10:47:05 AM »
Sorry, Hards - you don’t get it -at all.

You're right, brother, I'm the one that time has passed by.   ::)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #929 on: January 06, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »
Cops are fleeing the profession and departments are having an extraordinarily difficult time filling open positions. Departments that would get 500 candidates to show up for a testing session five years ago are thrilled if they get 100 today. Nationwide, departments are operating at about 93 percent staffing.
So, the idea that cops are sucking it up while teachers are being babies is provably false.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #930 on: January 06, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »
IMO the solution isn’t giving our present teachers more money/greater benefits - it’s raising salaries/benefits in order to attract a new generation of more qualified teachers.

Huh?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #931 on: January 06, 2022, 10:51:11 AM »

LOL.  Come on....  40 years ago was 1980.  Not 1950.

Guess you missed my 50, 60, 70. It started 60-70 years ago and has gained steam each decade. And it’s (women’s liberation, that is) a very good thing. But one of the casualties has been K-12 education.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #932 on: January 06, 2022, 10:54:16 AM »
Cops are fleeing the profession and departments are having an extraordinarily difficult time filling open positions. Departments that would get 500 candidates to show up for a testing session five years ago are thrilled if they get 100 today. Nationwide, departments are operating at about 93 percent staffing.
So, the idea that cops are sucking it up while teachers are being babies is provably false.

Cops are fleeing because of Covid? Guess you missed the BLM riots, defunding efforts and all the rest from the “summer of love”.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #933 on: January 06, 2022, 10:56:06 AM »
Cops are fleeing because of Covid? Guess you missed the BLM riots, defunding efforts and all the rest from the “summer of love”.

Cops are fleeing the profession because they feel disrespected.
Teachers are fleeing the profession because they feel disrespected.
Lenny finds one understandable, the other despicable.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #934 on: January 06, 2022, 10:58:43 AM »

Both things can be true.    And far more have died from COVID over the last two years than from violence.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #935 on: January 06, 2022, 11:00:44 AM »
Guess you missed my 50, 60, 70. It started 60-70 years ago and has gained steam each decade. And it’s (women’s liberation, that is) a very good thing. But one of the casualties has been K-12 education.

So you're argument here is that we don't have as many teachers now as we did back then is because women can be doctors and lawyers?

Please remember to show your work!

Strange.  My parents (one a teacher/principal/administrator, the other a teacher, both for 40+ years) basically forbid me from being a teacher for none of those reasons.  I was told parents suck, the pay is garbage, school board members are buffoons, and you don't actually get to teach anything anymore. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #936 on: January 06, 2022, 11:02:06 AM »

Lenny, I am sure your school district would appreciate you signing up to substitute teach.     And this is a question directly to you.   If you won't, why not?

Tower, I’m 73 years old. I volunteered my time to coach baseball and basketball until my late 60s. Now I volunteer at the local food pantry. Probably doesn’t measure up to your standards/expectations but I’m at peace with myself.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #937 on: January 06, 2022, 11:02:40 AM »

40 years ago means they would be 62-63 now.  I guaranty you there are PLENTY of good teachers who are younger than that now, both women and men.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #938 on: January 06, 2022, 11:04:26 AM »
Tower, I’m 73 years old. I volunteered my time to coach baseball and basketball until my late 60s. Now I volunteer at the local food pantry. Probably doesn’t measure up to your standards/expectations but I’m at peace with myself.

Good for you.  I appreciate anybody giving back in whatever form.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #939 on: January 06, 2022, 11:05:22 AM »
So you're argument here is that we don't have as many teachers now as we did back then is because women can be doctors and lawyers?

Please remember to show your work!

Strange.  My parents (one a teacher/principal/administrator, the other a teacher, both for 40+ years) basically forbid me from being a teacher for none of those reasons.  I was told parents suck, the pay is garbage, school board members are buffoons, and you don't actually get to teach anything anymore.

You obviously have trouble connecting dots. I can’t help you with that.

Sorry that your parents were so unhappy. It’s left a mark.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #940 on: January 06, 2022, 11:07:04 AM »

Don't forget about the winter of hate, when well over 100+ cops were injured during Trump's violent coup attempt one year ago today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #941 on: January 06, 2022, 11:08:53 AM »
40 years is probably about right. It coincides with woman’s liberation. Women have always been the backbone of K -12 education and 40 (50,60,70) years ago opportunities for women in the work force were limited - almost non existent. Most of the best and the brightest chose teaching (or nursing) as a career because it was all that was available. Now the smartest, most creative and most driven  women have options - and the people who once were teachers can now be doctors, lawyers, business professionals, etc. - IMO the solution isn’t giving our present teachers more money/greater benefits - it’s raising salaries/benefits in order to attract a new generation of more qualified teachers.

In many cases, the teachers today are better trained, better educated, and better qualified.

They are just now realizing that they are over qualified for a crappy job, that pays bad, and where you have no autonomy or respect.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #942 on: January 06, 2022, 11:13:41 AM »

40 years ago means they would be 62-63 now.  I guaranty you there are PLENTY of good teachers who are younger than that now, both women and men.

Of course there are - some incredibly smart and gifted people still choose teaching. But a whole lot of Uber talented people who didn’t have much of a choice now do - that makes the pool from which our teachers come a weaker one.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #943 on: January 06, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »
Don't forget about the winter of hate, when well over 100+ cops were injured during Trump's violent coup attempt one year ago today.

I’m counting on you to remind us all on a regular basis. Good job!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #944 on: January 06, 2022, 11:22:13 AM »
You obviously have trouble connecting dots. I can’t help you with that.

Sorry that your parents were so unhappy. It’s left a mark.

That's some interesting projection you've got there, Tony.

My parents taught me to stand up for myself and others when they're being wronged.  Yours must have told you to keep your head down and ignore injustice.

You: Teachers who don't want to work in dangerous conditions are bad
also You:  Police officers who don't want to work in dangerous conditions are justified

You're just a run of the mill hypocrite.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #945 on: January 06, 2022, 11:31:13 AM »
Yeah, butt ewe worant taught ta knot vote fore memburrs of da Squad, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #946 on: January 06, 2022, 11:34:37 AM »

I actually gave some serious thought to signing up to substitute teach where I live during the school year.  The problem is that you are expected to be available every single school day in case they need you.  If you turn down assignments more than a certain number of times (I don't remember the exact number, but it was relatively small), they drop you from the list.

I have other things going on in my life and I can't be on call every day.  If I could sign up for just the blocks of days where I would be available, I would do it.

Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #947 on: January 06, 2022, 11:37:15 AM »
Boychik, dat's meshuggah thinkin' on ur part, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #948 on: January 06, 2022, 11:38:51 AM »
Yeah, butt ewe worant taught ta knot vote fore memburrs of da Squad, hey?
The elderly are often easy targets for scams, propaganda, and disinformation due to their rapidly declining cognitive skills.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #949 on: January 06, 2022, 11:45:37 AM »
I’m counting on you to remind us all on a regular basis. Good job!

Sure thing. And thanks to you for bringing up BLM riots for the 8,800th time, too.

Of course, those weren't a coordinated effort by the president of the United States and members of Congress to subvert our democracy. Happy Insurrection Day!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback