[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 125246 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: K-12 School year?
« Reply #525 on: October 21, 2020, 02:31:21 PM »
Have we seen any cases come from schools?

We're mid-way through Week 8 and so far, so good.  I feel like if you mask kids up, this can be done pretty safely.  What am I missing?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #526 on: October 21, 2020, 02:38:43 PM »

We're mid-way through Week 8 and so far, so good.  I feel like if you mask kids up, this can be done pretty safely.  What am I missing?

lol

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #527 on: October 21, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »

I agree in the district for my kids which has about 1500 k-12 we have a single case here and there but no outbreaks due to the contact tracing being done.  Most of the cases are coming from the parents that are not being responsible. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #528 on: October 21, 2020, 02:59:05 PM »
A number of larger school districts around here have had to go virtual due to several cases.  Grand Rapids Public has never gone to in person learning and is staying virtual until at least January.

Catholic schools in the area have done ok so far.   We received an e-letter from the superintendent warning that winter sports and all extracurriculars are in jeopardy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #529 on: October 21, 2020, 03:23:55 PM »
lol

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/21/925794511/were-the-risks-of-reopening-schools-exaggerated

Follow the data skat.  I don’t think anyone is suggesting there is zero risk with face to face schooling but data has been suggesting there isn’t an increased risk then normal public exposure.  Our district has had a few cases but nothing crazy.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #530 on: October 21, 2020, 03:41:21 PM »
Agree that this has not been the disaster it might have been. Still, there have been school outbreaks. News on them is scattered, and often found on community news sites.

COVID outbreaks in Michigan schools rise 25 percent in a week

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/covid-outbreaks-michigan-schools-rise-25-percent-week

Nearly 500 COVID-19 Cases Linked To IL Schools: See Where

https://patch.com/illinois/across-il/nearly-500-covid-19-cases-linked-il-schools-see-where

COVID-19 school outbreaks rise across Maricopa County; Chandler USD reports 9 cases districtwide

https://communityimpact.com/phoenix/chandler/education/2020/10/20/covid-19-school-outbreaks-rise-across-maricopa-county-chandler-usd-reports-9-cases-districtwide/

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #531 on: October 21, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »
I think the issue with K-12, versus higher education, is that the entire K-12 student body is sent home every night.  To households with parents, siblings and others who may have gone out into the community as well.

Higher education students by and large live in their own "quasi-bubble."  It's not perfect by any stretch because those students interact with the community in numerous ways, but not sending everyone home to a multitude of households helps tremendously.

So I can see a reasoning for schools to "go virtual" when community spread is high.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #532 on: October 21, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/21/925794511/were-the-risks-of-reopening-schools-exaggerated

Follow the data skat.  I don’t think anyone is suggesting there is zero risk with face to face schooling but data has been suggesting there isn’t an increased risk then normal public exposure.  Our district has had a few cases but nothing crazy.

He asked, "have we seen any cases from schools." Not many, or a lot. Any.

That's funny.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #533 on: October 21, 2020, 06:47:09 PM »
Private school a couple miles from me had to shut down because of a huge cluster of cases involving students, teachers and staff.

Public schools in the Charlotte area have not returned to in-person schooling. About to very soon, starting with K-5 at first, then expanding to middle school, then to high school, if all goes well.

I hope it does! Kids need in-person school if the health situation allows it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #534 on: October 21, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »
I hope it does! Kids need in-person school if the health situation allows it.

I'm still not certain who needs it more, kids, or parents that are counting on school as daycare.  Either way, there certainly is a lot of incentive to keep schools going.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #535 on: October 21, 2020, 06:59:57 PM »
I think the issue with K-12, versus higher education, is that the entire K-12 student body is sent home every night.  To households with parents, siblings and others who may have gone out into the community as well.

Higher education students by and large live in their own "quasi-bubble."  It's not perfect by any stretch because those students interact with the community in numerous ways, but not sending everyone home to a multitude of households helps tremendously.

So I can see a reasoning for schools to "go virtual" when community spread is high.

Our District has no metrics in place and I fear they won't go all virtual when needed. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #536 on: October 21, 2020, 10:59:21 PM »
I'm still not certain who needs it more, kids, or parents that are counting on school as daycare.  Either way, there certainly is a lot of incentive to keep schools going.

Good point. Both need it. But it has to be done right.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #537 on: October 22, 2020, 11:07:44 AM »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #538 on: October 22, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »
lol

LOL what?  Our school just finished week 8 of 100% face to face and we've had zero cases.  ZERO.  And we're in Wisconsin which is on fire right now.

Two nights ago in a field report from Milwaukee, NBC's Gabe Gutierrez talked about how spread is coming much more from multi household gatherings than from schools or restaurants. 

You won't find me in a bar or gathering in a friends home but I do think its ridiculous that schools are not in session.  Wear a mask, keep distance, limit room switching, temp check each morning, stay home with greater precaution than normal.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #539 on: October 22, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
LOL what?  Our school just finished week 8 of 100% face to face and we've had zero cases.  ZERO.  And we're in Wisconsin which is on fire right now.

My kids (students) and wife (teacher) have all had in-person classes interrupted because of multiple positive cases among students and staff. Three different schools, in different towns. All the schools did masks, distancing, etc.
My only point here is that your experience isn't proof that in-person school is safe, any more than my experience is proof that schools are super-spreaders. Anecdote isn't data.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #540 on: October 22, 2020, 02:43:27 PM »
My kids (students) and wife (teacher) have all had in-person classes interrupted because of multiple positive cases among students and staff. Three different schools, in different towns. All the schools did masks, distancing, etc.
My only point here is that your experience isn't proof that in-person school is safe, any more than my experience is proof that schools are super-spreaders. Anecdote isn't data.

Do you think the school was the cause of the spread or that people there were found to be positive.  With hundreds of households, youth sports, etc kids and teachers can be exposed in a million different ways, the question is will it spread at school?  I acknowledge my opinion is very much based on anecdotal evidence but it seems schools settings don't act as spreaders. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #541 on: October 22, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »
Do you think the school was the cause of the spread or that people there were found to be positive.  With hundreds of households, youth sports, etc kids and teachers can be exposed in a million different ways, the question is will it spread at school?  I acknowledge my opinion is very much based on anecdotal evidence but it seems schools settings don't act as spreaders.

At my wife's school, it's believed the spread took place within the building.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #542 on: October 22, 2020, 02:49:06 PM »

We are all speaking to our own anecdotal experiences of course.  Good thing there are large studies that have been completed and the data is becoming crystal clear.  Schools are equally safe and pose no greater risk then just the general risk of living during a damn pandemic.

Until there is a vaccine and in turn with time herd immunity there is little we can do other then to mask up and ride out the storm.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #543 on: October 22, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
We know so much about the virus at this point and who is most vulnerable to it.  If someone finds themself on the end of scale being most vulnerable then take the necessary precautions to do your best to protect yourself.

If you find yourself on the other end of the scale, well be a decent human being and limit the risk and exposure but it’s ok to go on living life.  Unfortunately that’s the reality of the situation. 

If Biden wins he won’t do a thing different then what the trump administration is doing other then a mask mandate which will not have a lick of impact on the course of this pandemic.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #544 on: October 22, 2020, 03:00:47 PM »
If Biden wins he won’t do a thing different then what the trump administration is doing other then a mask mandate which will not have a lick of impact on the course of this pandemic.

1. False
2. Masks don't work?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #545 on: October 22, 2020, 03:03:11 PM »
We are all speaking to our own anecdotal experiences of course.  Good thing there are large studies that have been completed and the data is becoming crystal clear.  Schools are equally safe and pose no greater risk then just the general risk of living during a damn pandemic.

Until there is a vaccine and in turn with time herd immunity there is little we can do other then to mask up and ride out the storm.

Multiple studies are now coming out with the conclusion that schools are not causing super spreader events.  Especially younger ages.

Yes schools are closing here and there when they identify multiple positive tests.  That is a good thing.  And once under control, they go back at it.

So far so good for 2 of my 3 kids with school.  Still going strong with no issues.  The third is all virtual, my youngest in 3rd grade, so can't say much there other than he is participating in other events and physically socializing with other children since summer so that social growth is still taking place. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #546 on: October 22, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »
We know so much about the virus at this point and who is most vulnerable to it.  If someone finds themself on the end of scale being most vulnerable then take the necessary precautions to do your best to protect yourself.

If you find yourself on the other end of the scale, well be a decent human being and limit the risk and exposure but it’s ok to go on living life.  Unfortunately that’s the reality of the situation. 

He won’t host rallies where obese and unhealthy people are unmasked yelling “lock her up” with spit flying out their mouths, so that’ll make a difference
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #547 on: October 22, 2020, 04:35:07 PM »
https://www.wissports.net/news_article/show/1129136

This is huge for kids.  Unless you like in dane Co, then too bad, so sad.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #548 on: October 22, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »

Science disagrees.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

https://www.umms.org/coronavirus/what-to-know/masks/wearing-mask

It would have been ideal for masks to be mandated long ago, but a mandate would still help considerably. The latest IHME estimates project that under current laws the US will have 389,087 deaths by 2/1/2021; if masks were universally mandated now, the number goes down to 314,773.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=total-deaths&tab=trendhttps://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=total-deaths&tab=trend

I think saving over 74,000 lives would qualify as more than a 'lick of impact.'
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:56:25 PM by GooooMarquette »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #549 on: October 22, 2020, 05:57:55 PM »

Science disagrees.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

https://www.umms.org/coronavirus/what-to-know/masks/wearing-mask

It would have been ideal for masks to be mandated long ago, but a mandate would still help considerably. The latest IHME estimates project that under current laws the US will have 389,087 deaths by 2/1/2021; if masks were universally mandated now, the number goes down to 314,773.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=total-deaths&tab=trendhttps://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=total-deaths&tab=trend

I think saving over 74,000 lives would qualify as more than a 'lick of impact.'

No you’re absolutely right about masked making a difference.  I should have explained better that a federal mask mandate won’t age a lick of difference.  I believe 80-85% of Americans are very good at wearing masks.  The other 15% won’t wear one no matter what state or federal mandate is in place.