[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 125254 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: K-12 School year?
« Reply #475 on: August 09, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »
Remember the Georgia High School Student recently suspended for sharing a photo online of packed hallways of students w/o masks?

You wouldn't believe that now 9 people there have tested positive for COVID-19 and counting:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/people-test-positive-coronavirus-georgia-school-viral-crowded/story?id=72263772&__twitter_impression=true

I believe there were positives on their football team before the school year started too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #476 on: August 09, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »
Remember the Georgia High School Student recently suspended for sharing a photo online of packed hallways of students w/o masks?

You wouldn't believe that now 9 people there have tested positive for COVID-19 and counting:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/people-test-positive-coronavirus-georgia-school-viral-crowded/story?id=72263772&__twitter_impression=true

That suspension was reversed

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #477 on: August 09, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »
Why do I keep seeing school administrators say it's impossible to enforce wearing of masks?

Don't they enforce dress codes all the time?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #478 on: August 09, 2020, 12:01:25 PM »
Teachers, backed by their union, don't want in-person instruction, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #479 on: August 09, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »

Or maybe they are skeptical that they are the next Covid experiment.

Or 1000 other complicated things that involve parents, teachers and local governments. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #480 on: August 09, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »
Or maybe they are skeptical that they are the next Covid experiment.

Or 1000 other complicated things that involve parents, teachers and local governments.

Not so complicated for private schools and their teachers, who are ready and willing to take on the vital task of educating kids again. 

The phenomenon only applies to public education and unions which have ruined the quality.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #481 on: August 09, 2020, 12:24:11 PM »
Not so complicated for private schools and their teachers, who are ready and willing to take on the vital task of educating kids again. 

The phenomenon only applies to public education and unions which have ruined the quality.

I know parents that have chosen to do virtual learning or home schooling. Is that the unions fault too?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #482 on: August 09, 2020, 12:35:00 PM »
I know parents that have chosen to do virtual learning or home schooling. Is that the unions fault too?

Parents are overwhelmingly in favor of reopening schools in southeastern WI.  And we know this by survey responses sent out by school districts. Even in communities that are not conservative.

If a parent chooses not to send their kids because they don’t feel it’s safe, that’s their prerogative and their right.  That has nothing to do with my point about unions.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #483 on: August 09, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »
Parents are overwhelmingly in favor of reopening schools in southeastern WI.  And we know this by survey responses sent out by school districts. Even in communities that are not conservative.

If a parent chooses not to send their kids because they don’t feel it’s safe, that’s their prerogative and their right.  That has nothing to do with my point about unions.

If the school union is preventing your school from opening then you certainly know more than me and I have no comment. 

Just chanting UNIONS BAD though oversimplifies a complicated situation. 

This is fundamentally a local issue of safety.  In my state there is low spread, there is a plan and there is cajoling happing for parents and teachers to support the plan. 

In my opinion the missteps, lack of planning and overly Optimistic assumptions every step of the way damaged a lot of trust that needs to be earned back everywhere.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #484 on: August 09, 2020, 01:09:30 PM »
That suspension was reversed

I’m aware.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #485 on: August 09, 2020, 01:30:36 PM »

You're an idiot looking to start an argument.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #486 on: August 09, 2020, 01:55:02 PM »

Area tooth doctor posts Islamophobic chain emails on a public message board but is too chicken to ever respond, hey?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #487 on: August 09, 2020, 01:59:32 PM »
To borrow from a different thread, teachers unions are the little unnamed leaves on the top of a two lb plate of nachos.

As it pertains to COVID and schools restarting.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:05:45 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #488 on: August 09, 2020, 02:48:59 PM »
You're an idiot looking to start an argument.

Takes one to know one. Right back at you liberal bro, aina?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:53:21 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #489 on: August 09, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »

1.  Masks are mandatory to enter school for everyone.  It should not be an issue because everywhere I go in Connecticut people are doing a good job wearing.
2. School is not handling testing   They are asking everyone to self-temperature check at home before leaving for school.  And if you feel sick in any way to stay home.
3.  Yes, they are asking those who get sick to notify school.  I believe they are asking those who were in contact to quarantine and get tested.  Not sure of full details.

My kids worked the town summer camp which did open with strict protocols   7 weeks + another orientation week finished with no incidents.  1 week left to go.

Given the low prevalence and positivity rates in CT, that seems like a reasonable plan. I worry far more about those states where mask compliance has been sketchy, incidence and positivity rates are still high, and they are still allowing in-person schooling with masks optional.

It really blows my mind that so many people in places like FL, GA, TX, etc don't see the obvious connection....

reinko

• All American
« Reply #490 on: August 09, 2020, 03:22:11 PM »

Take one to know one. Right back at you liberal bro, aina?

At least he ain’t posting Islamophobic chain emails 🗣🗣🗣🗣

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #491 on: August 10, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »

I am amazed at the energy and excitement for reopening the schools from teachers / admin at SE Wisconsin Catholic schools.   I was with several this weekend and they are passionate as hell.  One got choked up and said: "Don't tell me I cannot do this...we've been planning for months, we have incredible protocols and measures in place.  We can make this work."
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #492 on: August 10, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
Georgia school from that crowded hallway photo has now closed after six students and three staff members test positive for COVID.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/08/09/nine-people-test-positive-coronavirus-georgia-school-where-photos-packed-hallways-went-viral/

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #493 on: August 10, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
I am amazed at the energy and excitement for reopening the schools from teachers / admin at SE Wisconsin Catholic schools.   I was with several this weekend and they are passionate as hell.  One got choked up and said: "Don't tell me I cannot do this...we've been planning for months, we have incredible protocols and measures in place.  We can make this work."

This .. befuddles me.   I think we hear mostly from public school teachers .. in (your) village, 25% of them surveyed selected they'd resign, retire, FMLA, etc if forced to go in-person.   My teacher wife is completely relieved her district is all virtual.   Teacher organizations are rallying to fight in-person classes.

Now .. clearly that's not 100% of all teachers.   One would figure XX% are as you observed, passionately awaiting being in the classroom.

So .. either your experiences are from self-selected pro-in-person teachers (or hand-selected by administrators for their excitement) .. or perhaps there's something about parochial teachers that make them more interested than their public school counterparts.   

Thoughts?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #494 on: August 10, 2020, 10:23:02 AM »
This .. befuddles me.   I think we hear mostly from public school teachers .. in (your) village, 25% of them surveyed selected they'd resign, retire, FMLA, etc if forced to go in-person.   My teacher wife is completely relieved her district is all virtual.   Teacher organizations are rallying to fight in-person classes.

Now .. clearly that's not 100% of all teachers.   One would figure XX% are as you observed, passionately awaiting being in the classroom.

So .. either your experiences are from self-selected pro-in-person teachers (or hand-selected by administrators for their excitement) .. or perhaps there's something about parochial teachers that make them more interested than their public school counterparts.   

Thoughts?

I think it has nothing to do with public/private union/nonunion, but rather political party lines. I know a number of private and public school teachers. The majority (maybe 65 ish percent think classes should be virtual. Those that want in person are Trump supporters.

Those that want schools open, also generally believe that COVID is a political issue, and we won't here about it anymore after November, and that all the news/concern is about politics, not a major health issue.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #495 on: August 10, 2020, 10:25:41 AM »
I will also reiterate that virtual teaching is far more difficult for the teacher. More work, same pay. People usually don't fight for more work unless there is a significant reason, like they actually fear the death/long-term illness of themselves or close family.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #496 on: August 10, 2020, 10:32:09 AM »

Thoughts?

My gut reaction is that parochial school communities are less affected by the virus to date.  They tend to have smaller class sizes which makes that aspect of the reopening plan safer off the bat.  So by it’s nature easier to contain if your community has lower spread and you can social distance. 

[note: broad brush but the lens I’m thinking through is more economic than any other attribute someone may call me out on]

The question I would have, related to these schools are not traditionally flush with extra cash—are they asking for more funding for PPE.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:33:50 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #497 on: August 10, 2020, 10:33:43 AM »

Thoughts?

From my experience (wife is a teacher, neighbor is a teacher, both have discussed their colleagues), it's very much case-by-case. My wife was looking forward to being in the classroom with kids, providing she was comfortable with the safety precautions. But she has co-workers who for various reasons (mostly health-related) were not comfortable with being in a school building with 500 other people.
As much as some of the usual suspects want to make lazy arguments about union boogeymen and uncaring teachers, it's a personal decision based on a host of individual factors for every teacher. 
Trying to make this a private vs public thing is nonsense. The reasons private schools are opening more than public schools have nothing to do with the attitude of the teaching staffs.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:36:26 AM by Pakuni »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #498 on: August 10, 2020, 10:44:40 AM »
From my experience (wife is a teacher, neighbor is a teacher, both have discussed their colleagues), it's very much case-by-case. My wife was looking forward to being in the classroom with kids, providing she was comfortable with the safety precautions. But she has co-workers who for various reasons (mostly health-related) were not comfortable with being in a school building with 500 other people.
As much as some of the usual suspects want to make lazy arguments about union boogeymen and uncaring teachers, it's a personal decision based on a host of individual factors for every teacher. 
Trying to make this a private vs public thing is nonsense. The reasons private schools are opening more than public schools have nothing to do with the attitude of the teaching staffs.

Spot on Pakuni.  My wife is still concerned, but is comfortable with the protocols being put in place in her district and hope they work.  She's assuming it will break down at some point and may have to go all online.

My youngest daughter a Senior to be has 5 days a week classes as of now, but we were informed by our district it is subject to change and a final decision and format will be made by the end of this week.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #499 on: August 10, 2020, 11:09:51 AM »

From those  teachers that I have talked to - they want to get back in school.

Every one was also very concerned about the safety of doing so. They see no way to stop the spread among students or teachers.

Masks help (if properly worn) and separation helps (if maintained), but in a crowded building these are hard to do.

feedback