collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128951 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8875 on: November 07, 2020, 04:48:42 PM »
And indeed, the entire upper Midwest.

The Dakotas have been leading the surge since late summer with Iowa not far behind. Wisconsin started its surge a few weeks ago, and new cases are skyrocketing. And Minnesota started a few weeks after Wisconsin, with new cases not far behind.

It's getting ugly...and it hasn't really gotten all that cold yet.

To give perspective on todays WI number. If the US were to have infections at the same rate, there would be over 400,000 cases a day.

It's better than ND though, which is running at a rate equivalent to 700,000 cases nationwide a day.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8876 on: November 07, 2020, 06:15:22 PM »
That really scares me with schools - feel like it's going to spread so much after those holidays if the kids are attending in person.

My daughter's high school just said remote only for the week after Thanksgiving.  To give some time and space from possible family gatherings.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8877 on: November 07, 2020, 06:15:26 PM »
To give perspective on todays WI number. If the US were to have infections at the same rate, there would be over 400,000 cases a day.

It's better than ND though, which is running at a rate equivalent to 700,000 cases nationwide a day.

Anything is better than ND.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8878 on: November 07, 2020, 06:17:07 PM »

Yeah. My daughter lives in downtown Fargo, the closest thing to a “progressive“ area you can find in North Dakota. When she goes out, almost nobody is wearing a mask. She doesn’t go out much these days.  :(

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8879 on: November 07, 2020, 11:44:33 PM »
Speaking of ND, there was this tonight:

Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8880 on: November 08, 2020, 05:46:11 AM »
‘Plan’ to protect the vulnerable not showing promise. 

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1325287609690681344?s=21

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8881 on: November 08, 2020, 08:27:16 AM »
Speaking of ND, there was this tonight:

On the one hand, that was disturbing. On the other, totally predictable -- and impossible to stop. Most in that group were 18-22 year olds. They are "kids." I wish they didn't do it, and I hope they don't take the infection back to more vulnerable loved ones, but I don't know how anybody could have stopped it ... except by not letting fans in the stadium in the first place.

During the week, Kelly talked about the likelihood of it happening, and urged his players to get off the field as quickly as possible if it did happen. Hopefully, none of them got infected.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8882 on: November 08, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »
On the one hand, that was disturbing. On the other, totally predictable -- and impossible to stop. Most in that group were 18-22 year olds. They are "kids." I wish they didn't do it, and I hope they don't take the infection back to more vulnerable loved ones, but I don't know how anybody could have stopped it ... except by not letting fans in the stadium in the first place.

During the week, Kelly talked about the likelihood of it happening, and urged his players to get off the field as quickly as possible if it did happen. Hopefully, none of them got infected.

I’m having a hard time agreeing with the idea of college athletics being “essential” this winter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8883 on: November 08, 2020, 09:00:53 AM »

There is your answer. Short of stopping the games entirely, it's the only responsible thing to do.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8884 on: November 08, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
Why are there that many fans in the stadium in the first place? From behind the kickers on field goal attempts the stands looked like they had no limitations on capacity. Brian Kelly murdering more people to win a football game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8885 on: November 08, 2020, 10:08:54 AM »
I am for no fans at games.

The situation at the ND game was not ideal.

With that said, individual games vary.

ND only opens their games to students and either their parents or a family member, along with faculty and staff. No general public. In comparison to many schools, mask compliance has been signficantly higher at ND than many other places, and crowd size lower.

It of course only takes one person or situation. In the attached photo, it would appear everyone has a mask on except one person has it pulled down. That's all it takes.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:13:07 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8886 on: November 08, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »
There were celebration scenes regarding the election all day yesterday that had hundreds or even thousands of people in the streets. Most of those I saw were wearing masks, but some weren't, and none had much social distancing.

That was understandable but unfortunate, too. Need to practice what they preach.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8887 on: November 08, 2020, 11:13:25 AM »
January 5th Georgia Senate elections:

Voters have until December 7th to register to vote in Georgia. Early in person voting begins December 14th.
Absentee ballots will be mailed Nov 18th. Tell your friends.

20% higher votes in Presidential Election 2020. 5 million more.

• All American
« Reply #8888 on: November 08, 2020, 11:42:35 AM »
January 5th Georgia Senate elections:

Voters have until December 7th to register to vote in Georgia. Early in person voting begins December 14th.
Absentee ballots will be mailed Nov 18th. Tell your friends.

20% higher votes in Presidential Election 2020. 5 million more.

Cool. What does this have to do with Covid?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8889 on: November 08, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »

Cool. What does this have to do with Covid?

It was obviously meant for the voting thread. But if more Georgia people see it in two threads, awesome. Wear your mask and physically distance while doing so. 👍
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 01:40:02 PM by shoothoops »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8890 on: November 08, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
1,000+ deaths are becoming the daily norm. I'm worried it could be 1,500 + in just a couple weeks.

How do you get people to care?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8891 on: November 08, 2020, 06:24:14 PM »
1,000+ deaths are becoming the daily norm. I'm worried it could be 1,500 + in just a couple weeks.

How do you get people to care?

Different leadership can't hurt.

• All American
« Reply #8892 on: November 08, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »
Different leadership can't hurt.

Said leadership doesn’t change for 70+ days. It’s going to be much worse by then.

And even then, half the country isn’t going to listen to him anyway.

• All American
« Reply #8893 on: November 08, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8894 on: November 08, 2020, 08:20:02 PM »
There were celebration scenes regarding the election all day yesterday that had hundreds or even thousands of people in the streets. Most of those I saw were wearing masks, but some weren't, and none had much social distancing.

That was understandable but unfortunate, too. Need to practice what they preach.

I always think about what Jim Harbaugh (laughably) told his team: Be above reproach.

It's not a level playing field here, but there are groups that will glom onto a sliver of suggestion you don't care or it's just an act. Gotta be better.

Related to the current environment, I have no doubt that Covid is part of Trump's scorched earth strategy to make things as untenable for the new administration as possible, including forcing their hands with lockdowns. It's going to get much, much worse this fall/winter.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8895 on: November 08, 2020, 11:42:37 PM »
I mean look at this nightmare...

https://twitter.com/covid19tracking/status/1325613224004214784?s=21

Very ugly chart.

Deaths could get even worse than I expected. And I was not optimistic to start with.

reinko

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8897 on: November 09, 2020, 07:21:52 AM »
Should have patented that phrase.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8898 on: November 09, 2020, 10:44:09 AM »
HUD Secretary Ben Carson tested positive for COVID-19.

He attended the White House Event Tuesday.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8899 on: November 09, 2020, 12:28:54 PM »
HUD Secretary Ben Carson tested positive for COVID-19.

He attended the White House Event Tuesday.

I pretend to care.

feedback