collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129045 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2450 on: March 26, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »
Well Governor Cuomo(who just a few days ago was trending on twitter and being lauded by millions for how he has handled this) disagrees. Says the stay at home order and closing businesses in NY was probably not the best public health strategy. Also said there is a NEED for both public health and economic growth and we CAN do both. Yet, the President was absolutely getting blasted for saying this..again, to think people don't have agendas because of their hatred for this president is a flat out lie. Where isr the outrage over these comments from Cuomo?? Who many bow down to?? All I hear is crickets all of a sudden.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-closing-all-businesses-keeping-everyone-home-not-best-public-health-strategy

Disagrees with what exactly?  Of course we have to get back to work.  But I don't see anything where he says he agrees with the Easter timeline.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2451 on: March 26, 2020, 06:47:34 PM »
Well Governor Cuomo(who just a few days ago was trending on twitter and being lauded by millions for how he has handled this) disagrees. Says the stay at home order and closing businesses in NY was probably not the best public health strategy. Also said there is a NEED for both public health and economic growth and we CAN do both. Yet, the President was absolutely getting blasted for saying this..again, to think people don't have agendas because of their hatred for this president is a flat out lie. Where isr the outrage over these comments from Cuomo?? Who many bow down to?? All I hear is crickets all of a sudden.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-closing-all-businesses-keeping-everyone-home-not-best-public-health-strategy

How is it out there in fantasy land?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2452 on: March 26, 2020, 06:48:05 PM »

You need to get out of your bubble

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2453 on: March 26, 2020, 07:08:11 PM »

Where can I sign up for the thoughts and the decisions of stupid people affecting only said stupid people as opposed to the rest of us

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2454 on: March 26, 2020, 07:12:00 PM »

This is called a leader taking responsibility, perhaps admitting that he might have done something differently and not pretending that he knows everything.

Your hero might want to try any one of those any time, instead of doubling down on his ridiculous assertions -- not just about the COVFEFE-19 situation but pretty much everything --  over and over again.

Cuomo is admitting he's not sure what NY did was the right strategy. He's also not sure it was the wrong strategy. He is perplexed, as most are, by this. He listened to his experts, but he is not throwing them under the bus, calling them names, blaming the opposition party or accusing the media of being corrupt.

Wow. It would be refreshing to have a national leader like that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2455 on: March 26, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »
This is called a leader taking responsibility, perhaps admitting that he might have done something differently and not pretending that he knows everything.

Your hero might want to try any one of those any time, instead of doubling down on his ridiculous assertions -- not just about the COVFEFE-19 situation but pretty much everything --  over and over again.

Cuomo is admitting he's not sure what NY did was the right strategy. He's also not sure it was the wrong strategy. He is perplexed, as most are, by this. He listened to his experts, but he is not throwing them under the bus, calling them names, blaming the opposition party or accusing the media of being corrupt.

and it might help to have a coherent federally coordinated response to get testing - both live and titers - so that regional leaders have a better chance at informed decision

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2456 on: March 26, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »

I have never seen a president - or any person for that matter - who so aggressively takes credit for every good thing that happens, and assigns blame to someone else for every bad thing.

Cuomo deserves credit for conceding that he still isn’t sure if it was the right move.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2457 on: March 26, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
Its good news, that doesn't get eyeballs or clicks.

Crazy, right? I saw the story on Facebook but wanted to find a better source, and when I tried to find other sources, I was surprised at how few sites were carrying the story. Maybe 3 or 4 news sites, but none of the big names. I knew what I was looking for and had trouble finding it. I doubt many people will come across it just looking for news on the virus.

Why wouldn't The Guardian, Reuters, AP,  NY Times, NBC, etc. carry this? Most or maybe all of them all ran the original story. Why not pick up the update?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2458 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
Crazy, right? I saw the story on Facebook but wanted to find a better source, and when I tried to find other sources, I was surprised at how few sites were carrying the story. Maybe 3 or 4 news sites, but none of the big names. I knew what I was looking for and had trouble finding it. I doubt many people will come across it just looking for news on the virus.

Why wouldn't The Guardian, Reuters, AP,  NY Times, NBC, etc. carry this? Most or maybe all of them all ran the original story. Why not pick up the update?

I don't mean to push back, but sometimes news takes a while to get out, but its the 4th from top post on /r/COVID-19 on reddit.

And this one is top on /r/coronavirus

https://m.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/digitec/coronavirus-pandemie-bosch-erfindet-eigenen-covid-19-schnelltest-16697237.html

So there are good stories out there, but we are in a terrible situation and thing are getting worse.  Sort of how news coverage works.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2459 on: March 26, 2020, 08:33:01 PM »
I don't mean to push back, but sometimes news takes a while to get out, but its the 4th from top post on /r/COVID-19 on reddit.

https://m.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/digitec/coronavirus-pandemie-bosch-erfindet-eigenen-covid-19-schnelltest-16697237.html

So there are good stories out there, but we are in a terrible situation and thing are getting worse.  Sort of how news coverage works.

Also noteworthty that Fergusom emphasized that it's BECAUSE of the aggressive measures. If they decide to stop because they want to go hunt for Easter Eggs, his estimate of lethality remains unchanged. So it's great news for Brits who seem committed to this. Must be nice.

https://twitter.com/neil_ferguson/status/1243294815200124928?s=19

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2460 on: March 26, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »

Dude, reddit page rank?  You're better than than.

And people are giving guru grief?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2461 on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:55 PM »

I think you would do well to read Ferguson's Twitter thread on the topic this afternoon and then rethink some assumptions.

@neil_ferguson: 1/4 - I think it would be helpful if I cleared up some confusion that has emerged in recent days. Some have interpreted my evidence to a UK parliamentary committee as indicating we have substantially revised our assessments of the potential mortality impact of COVID-19.

@neil_ferguson: 2/4 -This is not the case. Indeed, if anything, our latest estimates suggest that the virus is slightly more transmissible than we previously thought. Our lethality estimates remain unchanged.

@neil_ferguson: 3/4 - My evidence to Parliament referred to the deaths we assess might occur in the UK in the presence of the very intensive social distancing and other public health interventions now in place.

@neil_ferguson: 4/4 - Without those controls, our assessment remains that the UK would see the scale of deaths reported in our study (namely, up to approximately 500 thousand).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2462 on: March 26, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »
Dude, reddit page rank?  You're better than than.

And people are giving guru grief?

You know, it's easier to just say you don't understand things... especially, reddit.

edit: Also, it would seem like you missed my point entirely.  skianth16 said that there was no good news out there, and so I mentioned that the link he posted was quite popular, and that the top story on a subreddit with over 1.7 million subscribers was the story I linked.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:44:50 PM by Hards_Alumni »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2463 on: March 26, 2020, 08:44:32 PM »
Off the rails with the politics again...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2464 on: March 26, 2020, 08:45:41 PM »
Off the rails with the politics again...

Don't worry, he will be back questioning why his post got removed and rail against how its only his side.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2465 on: March 26, 2020, 08:48:09 PM »
You know, it's easier to just say you don't understand things... especially, reddit.

edit: Also, it would seem like you missed my point entirely.  skianth16 said that there was no good news out there, and so I mentioned that the link he posted was quite popular, and that the top story on a subreddit with over 1.7 million subscribers was the story I linked.

Fair.  I hate reddit but am still a sucker for checking it daily. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2466 on: March 26, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »
I think you would do well to read Ferguson's Twitter thread on the topic this afternoon and then rethink some assumptions.

@neil_ferguson: 1/4 - I think it would be helpful if I cleared up some confusion that has emerged in recent days. Some have interpreted my evidence to a UK parliamentary committee as indicating we have substantially revised our assessments of the potential mortality impact of COVID-19.

@neil_ferguson: 2/4 -This is not the case. Indeed, if anything, our latest estimates suggest that the virus is slightly more transmissible than we previously thought. Our lethality estimates remain unchanged.

@neil_ferguson: 3/4 - My evidence to Parliament referred to the deaths we assess might occur in the UK in the presence of the very intensive social distancing and other public health interventions now in place.

@neil_ferguson: 4/4 - Without those controls, our assessment remains that the UK would see the scale of deaths reported in our study (namely, up to approximately 500 thousand).

Yep. Pretty obvious that he considers the shelter-in-place/extreme social distancing a prerequisite for decreasing deaths.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2467 on: March 26, 2020, 08:53:23 PM »
Yikes, Cuomo said today that NYC peak is still 3 weeks out.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2468 on: March 26, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
Yikes, Cuomo said today that NYC peak is still 3 weeks out.

Sounds about right. They are seeing cases right now from before the restrictions. They will see 2-weeks of case growth/leveling due to cases from the first week of transitioning, then at least 1 more weak of tapering off to a peak.

I'm hoping that the time from infection to diagnosis are on the shorter end of the current estimates, though, and that they may peak in as early as 2-weeks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:03:28 PM by forgetful »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2469 on: March 26, 2020, 09:21:03 PM »
268 deaths. Still tripling every three days. Hopefully since (so far) it wasn't a huge increase from yesterday, it may be at least slowing.  Same for cases.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2470 on: March 26, 2020, 09:35:59 PM »

I'm happy to see the Imperial College update getting coverage somewhere. I was just surprised that I didn't see much on Google when I looked for it. I just find it frustrating that the good news tends to spread so much more slowly than the bad news.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2471 on: March 26, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »

I think what Ferguson is referring to is the kind of story I saw on Facebook but didn't buy into right away. The link I shared made it clear that his adjustment to the numbers was based on the measures being taken to maintain social distancing and avoid non-essential work/travel.

But to me, that's the number that matters. The numbers focusing on do-nothing scenarios are meaningless because the UK and essentially all other affected countries are actively trying to slow down the spread and limit the number of people affected. I take his response as a bit of a CYA comment to make sure people don't start to downplay the severity of the virus or for those who question the original, super high numbers.

For me, the takeaway from the new numbers is that Ferguson and his fellow researchers believe the measures being taken are effective. It's confirmation that we're doing a lot of the right things.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:51:02 PM by skianth16 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2472 on: March 26, 2020, 10:11:49 PM »
Another finding that is just coming out regarding the fatalities aside from age, immunosuppressions, respiratory etc the next highest predisposing health issue coming out is prediabetic and diabetics

don't...don't don't don't don't

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2473 on: March 26, 2020, 10:51:46 PM »
I think what Ferguson is referring to is the kind of story I saw on Facebook but didn't buy into right away. The link I shared made it clear that his adjustment to the numbers was based on the measures being taken to maintain social distancing and avoid non-essential work/travel.

But to me, that's the number that matters. The numbers focusing on do-nothing scenarios are meaningless because the UK and essentially all other affected countries are actively trying to slow down the spread and limit the number of people affected. I take his response as a bit of a CYA comment to make sure people don't start to downplay the severity of the virus or for those who question the original, super high numbers.

For me, the takeaway from the new numbers is that Ferguson and his fellow researchers believe the measures being taken are effective. It's confirmation that we're doing a lot of the right things.

To be fair, the original UK plan was to just let people get infected. Their change, and the restrictions put in place, were because of the Imperial College Study.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2474 on: March 27, 2020, 07:15:06 AM »
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.21.990770v1.full.pdf

This looks promising. Could be testing in patients in 6 months, but the Chinese may be able to do it even faster.

feedback