collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128955 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1700 on: March 18, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »
This changes by the minute as the data is fluid but NY cases up at least 1300 today or 78% from yesterday.  The governor and mayor are feuding about shelter in place. The total US is up 40% from yesterday (testing, spread).

NY/NJ are almost 60% of the new cases. NY's new cases just today (1331) are now much more than California's total cases to date (831). Think about that.

Meanwhile, California up only 17% today, Washington 6%, Mass 17%, Oregon 14%, Colorado 2% (but may not be fully updated), Virginia 16%, North Carolina 14%.  These were the early states who got on this and whose growth rates were higher.  The lockdown Bay Area went from a 21% yesterday to 14% rate today on Day 2.

Illinois just reported a 78% jump from yesterday and Wisconsin a 48% jump. Minnesota up 26%.  Much of this is testing availability so don't panic but looking at rates from day to day gives us indicators of trends.

The early hot spots are settling down like China and South Korea...buying time.  Let's slow this thing and get back to (a new) normalcy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1701 on: March 18, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »

Illinois just reported a 78% jump from yesterday

The notable (scary?) thing happening in Illinois is that 20 of the 128 new cases announced today come from the same nursing home ... which had 22 news cases confirmed Tuesday. So, nearly 15 percent of all the cases in Illinois stem from a single facility.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: March 18, 2020, 05:51:28 PM »
Daycares are being limited to "essential" kids tomorrow.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1703 on: March 18, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »
Oak Park just got SIP (Shelter in Place), effective starting Friday. My guess is what my wife heard this afternoon was true, and places like Oak Park are getting out ahead of it. Towns like Oak Park, Evanston were/are going to be on a weird spot if Chicago goes SIP, so I’m not surprised Oak Park is being pro-active here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: March 18, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »
Oak Park just got SIP (Shelter in Place), effective starting Friday. My guess is what my wife heard this afternoon was true, and places like Oak Park are getting out ahead of it. Towns like Oak Park, Evanston were/are going to be on a weird spot if Chicago goes SIP, so I’m not surprised Oak Park is being pro-active here.

Reading their shelter in place, it's fairly meaningless. It merely "urges" residents to stay home - which is what everybody's been doing all week - and excludes many, many exceptions, to wit:

Grocery stores, banks, convenience stores, pharmacies, restaurants for delivery and pick up only, laundromats, skilled trades essential to maintaining the safety and sanitation of residences, hardware stores, medical service providers, first responders, transportation providers, government activities and essential social service providers and shelters.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: March 18, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »

Where'd you see that? I saw Oak Park, River Forest and Forest Park leaders met and "urged shelter in place" but I didn't see an official order?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: March 18, 2020, 06:08:22 PM »
Reading their shelter in place, it's fairly meaningless. It merely "urges" residents to stay home - which is what everybody's been doing all week - and excludes many, many exceptions, to wit:

Grocery stores, banks, convenience stores, pharmacies, restaurants for delivery and pick up only, laundromats, skilled trades essential to maintaining the safety and sanitation of residences, hardware stores, medical service providers, first responders, transportation providers, government activities and essential social service providers and shelters.

You'd be surprised how many kids have been outside playing and teens out for runs. Not exactly shut down.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: March 18, 2020, 06:09:38 PM »
MMAC sent a memo out today on this in conjunction with MCW. Biggest takeaway was that they don't expect it to peak in WI until late May.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:02 PM »

Yeah, I was just talking to my wife, I don’t really know what SIP enforces, and agree we’re all kind of already doing it. A curfew would be different and enforceable. I don’t really get SIP as being something 90% of people aren’t already doing.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: March 18, 2020, 06:13:41 PM »
Where'd you see that? I saw Oak Park, River Forest and Forest Park leaders met and "urged shelter in place" but I didn't see an official order?

Typing this on my phone, but the town’s official Twitter page has it as a declaration by their mayor.

The town website crashed, otherwise I’d link it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:09 PM »
You'd be surprised how many kids have been outside playing and teens out for runs. Not exactly shut down.
Going outside or for a run is not prohibited by a shelter in place.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: March 18, 2020, 06:42:01 PM »

Interesting thanks for the knowledge, that gives me something to do tomorrow :)
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1712 on: March 18, 2020, 06:51:06 PM »

This reminds me .. MKE county closed golf and frisbee golf courses.    That seems over the top.   You can easily maintain 6 feet, not to mention 60.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: March 18, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »
This is fluid, but have been told Lightfoot is going to announce Shelter in Place for Chicago tomorrow. To be clear, hearing the announcement is coming tomorrow, no info as to when it would start. To be transparent I where I got the info, my wife works for a community college in Cook County, she's the VP of her union, and she just got off a call that was the directive forthcoming. She also said that the state colleges were going to announce that the next three Friday's are going to be earmarked as holidays, so no work from home those days.

My hunch is that Pritzker will maybe be the one that ends up making the announcement, with broader coverage of the Shelter In Place.

Also to be transparent, my sister (works for state of Arizona) said earlier this week that she was being told a national shutdown was to happen by today, so that did not come to happen. I don't want to share $hitty rumors, and I trust my wife/sister, so you can yell at me if when these things don't happen.

Maybe your sister had the correct week. Maybe it happens in the next two days so that people arent able to go out for the weekend.

St. Patricks celebrations across the country were a bad look.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: March 18, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »
Not just old people.

@liamstack: 38% of Coronavirus patients who were sick enough to be hospitalized were were between the ages of 20 and 54. Roughly half of those were between 20 and 44. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-young-people.html

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1715 on: March 18, 2020, 07:30:13 PM »
testing has been backed up so the higher reports are not surprising as that is exactly what was expected as of the morning briefing

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1716 on: March 18, 2020, 07:33:52 PM »
MMAC sent a memo out today on this in conjunction with MCW. Biggest takeaway was that they don't expect it to peak in WI until late May.

why late May?  Would seem like sometime in april would be more along the lines of what they avhe been saying with how fast it spreads

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: March 18, 2020, 07:51:27 PM »
Two R reps tested positive today. Fallout from the CPAC attendee being positive?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1718 on: March 18, 2020, 07:56:04 PM »
As for "China getting back to normal..."

https://time.com/5804136/china-coronavirus-quarantine-new-normal/

Life in China Has Not Returned to Normal, Despite What the Government Says

Wait - you mean we can’t trust the Chinese government?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: March 18, 2020, 08:00:03 PM »
Two R reps tested positive today. Fallout from the CPAC attendee being positive?

They were barely symptomatic, but got tests. NBA players getting tests.

Others dying in hospital beds, waiting to be tested.

Meanwhile, everyone working at home, but low-income wage earners having to show up in person and deal with countless interactions with people.

Anyone else seeing the income disparity and privilege being put on display here.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1720 on: March 18, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »
Wait - you mean we can’t trust the Chinese government?

Will a 2nd wave of infections hits China as it eases restrictions? They've convinced a lot of people into thinking all is well there.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1721 on: March 18, 2020, 08:11:17 PM »
They were barely symptomatic, but got tests. NBA players getting tests.

Meanwhile, everyone working at home, but low-income wage earners having to show up in person and deal with countless interactions with people.

Anyone else seeing the income disparity and privilege being put on display here.

Same old, same old.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: March 18, 2020, 08:26:06 PM »

Serious question. If someone is dying in a hospital bed, and not tested, what is the medicinal regimen they are given? Assume its COVID and treat as such?  Who should be tested with the first 1 million tests available?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: March 18, 2020, 08:29:27 PM »
I saw these ideas stated by Elizabeth Warren on minimum conditions for any industry bailout.
(And for crying out loud, please don't go nuts because it's Elizabeth Warren stating them.)
Sounded like many of the statements mirrored earlier Scoop comments.

We’re not writing blank checks to giant corporations. Any taxpayer dollars that go to help big businesses during the coronavirus crisis should come with the following minimum requirements:
1. Companies must maintain their payrolls and use funds to keep people working or on payroll.
2. Companies must provide a $15 minimum wage within one year of the national emergency declaration ending.
3. Companies are permanently prohibited from engaging in share repurchases.
4. Companies are prohibited from paying out dividends or executive bonuses while they are receiving any relief and for three years thereafter.
5. Companies must set aside at least one seat – but potentially two or more, as the amount of relief increases – on the board of directors for representatives elected by workers.
6. Collective bargaining agreements should remain in place and should not be reopened or renegotiated pursuant to this relief program.
7. Corporations must obtain shareholder and board approval for all political expenditures.
8. CEOs must be required to personally certify a company is in compliance and face criminal penalties for false certifications.
Congress must set up an oversight body, modeled on the Congressional Oversight Panel and the SIGTARP program for the bank bailout, but with real funding & subpoena power. We need real accountability to make sure these conditions are met.

Good lord.  A solution, looking for a problem.  Seriously, how long has she been saving this list for the chance to use it?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:35:53 PM by real chili 83 »

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #1724 on: March 18, 2020, 08:33:45 PM »
Serious question. If someone is dying in a hospital bed, and not tested, what is the medicinal regimen they are given? Assume its COVID and treat as such?  Who should be tested with the first 1 million tests available?

Our hospital is testing everyone admitted.  ICU cases increased from 1 yesterday to 9 today
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire