collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128926 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1100 on: March 14, 2020, 06:27:33 PM »
There was no chicken in my supermarket this morning and I heard it was the same elsewhere.  Is there a run on chicken with the toilet paper and Purell or is there some other reason?

just read in an article(dr jenna macciochi-immunologist) about our immunity, it specifically mentions chicken soup-sometimes referred to as the "jewish antibiotic", a multi-amino acid molecule named carnosine(enhances the power of immune cells) and the release during cooking of a molecule resembling acetylcysteine which is commonly prescribed for respiratory ailments

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8112331/How-boost-immune-help-fight-coronavirus.html
don't...don't don't don't don't

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: March 14, 2020, 07:04:01 PM »
Not 1/50,000 low in the highest affected countries, and I think we're on our way to being one of those highest affected.  Symptoms apparently often don't present for 7-14 days after being infected.

China is currently at something like 1/20,000 counting all confirmed cases. So while 1/50,000 might be a little too low in a month or two, I don't think it's out of the question for us to currently be there.

And what makes you think the US will be one of the worst countries? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious to know what makes you think we'll be one of the most affected. Several other countries had already put measure in place to restrict travel and to quarantine infected people before cases started to grow here. I'm assuming we'll benefit a lot from that. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: March 14, 2020, 07:07:41 PM »
The Daily Mail isn't exactly the Lancet...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1104 on: March 14, 2020, 08:20:10 PM »
The Daily Mail isn't exactly the Lancet...

right, it's not the AJM or anything, but i checked on the author.  an MD of immunology.  as i said, just happened to be reading when i saw the thing about chicken soup.  just a point of view.  when it comes to diet, exercise, sleep, et.al. easy talking points
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1105 on: March 14, 2020, 08:38:53 PM »
Interesting .. family friends are doctors in Madison, very brainy folks.  He was .. nonchalant about the future workload in the hospital. 

He was concerned about the high density areas (Milwaukee, and yeah, Madison) but was optimistic.  The remainder of the state is low density and he thought the hospitals could handle it. 

Was a very different view than the usual doom.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: March 14, 2020, 08:52:43 PM »
Interesting .. family friends are doctors in Madison, very brainy folks.  He was .. nonchalant about the future workload in the hospital. 

He was concerned about the high density areas (Milwaukee, and yeah, Madison) but was optimistic.  The remainder of the state is low density and he thought the hospitals could handle it. 

We should roughly know what we are in for in a week. From first symptoms to hospitalization usually takes 7 days. So patients that are asymptomatic right now, or have their first symptoms, would be flooding doctors and hospitals in a week.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1107 on: March 14, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »

That’s not how the rest of the state feels.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: March 14, 2020, 09:09:41 PM »
That’s not how the rest of the state feels.

The state or the state's medical professionals?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: March 14, 2020, 09:12:11 PM »

Doctors, where exactly?  At the UW, Meriter, SSM? 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1110 on: March 14, 2020, 09:13:28 PM »
Cleveland State's Women's Basketball Coach Chris Kielsmeier tested positive:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/ncaa/ncaab/vikings-bb/cleveland-state-womens-basketball-coach-chris-kielsmeier-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/95-02cf029b-fba7-4bcf-b3f8-7ba590746754

That's the first college coach I've heard announced as testing positive (not necessarily the first of course - just the first I've heard)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1111 on: March 14, 2020, 09:13:58 PM »

Let us all remember, that just because you have a plaque on the wall, doesn't mean you stay current with everything.  Not all medical professionals are created equal.

Source: earlier in this thread.

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: March 14, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »

The latter.  They’re worried.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: March 14, 2020, 09:18:52 PM »
The latter.  They’re worried.

My friend who is a nurse in the Chicago suburbs is also seriously concerned.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1114 on: March 14, 2020, 09:21:50 PM »
timeline still does not make sense to me seems like we should be right with Italy.  Also been reading that some think the virus has been around here for longer than we think as lots of pneumonia since the new year that was worse than normal.  Who knows we will see by the end of this month i guess.

The panic and empty grocery shelves is off the charts at this point though

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: March 14, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
Cleveland State's Women's Basketball Coach Chris Kielsmeier tested positive:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/ncaa/ncaab/vikings-bb/cleveland-state-womens-basketball-coach-chris-kielsmeier-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/95-02cf029b-fba7-4bcf-b3f8-7ba590746754

That's the first college coach I've heard announced as testing positive (not necessarily the first of course - just the first I've heard)

This will hurt recruiting

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: March 14, 2020, 09:27:20 PM »
timeline still does not make sense to me seems like we should be right with Italy.  Also been reading that some think the virus has been around here for longer than we think as lots of pneumonia since the new year that was worse than normal.  Who knows we will see by the end of this month i guess.

Some of the empty shelves is logical. Stocking up cause you might be sick isn’t the worst thing.

But the TP thing is fancinating.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:33:15 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: March 14, 2020, 09:28:10 PM »

Everything was full and fine last night in Sun Prairie.  No one acting stupid either.

I was in Italy until 1/5.  Doubt it was there then. 

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1118 on: March 14, 2020, 09:33:46 PM »
Some of the empty shelves is logical. Sticking up cause you might be sick isn’t the worst thing.

some yes but all is over the top.  I could not believe how empty the frozen goods were.  then you have the idiots selling the stuff online for profit.  That puts me over the edge especially things like childrens tylenol

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: March 14, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
Some of the empty shelves is logical. Stocking up cause you might be sick isn’t the worst thing.

The TP thing is actually pretty normal. My colleague that runs numbers for the CDC, back in mid February told me to stock up on TP then, because in a couple weeks you wouldn't be able to find any (they were right).

Apparently, it is well known that when people panic, TP is one of the first thing that people hoard. People have a fear of running out of TP.

Actually just talked to this colleague tonight. I am less optimistic about my numbers I presented earlier.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:43:45 PM by forgetful »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: March 14, 2020, 10:18:40 PM »
Let us all remember, that just because you have a plaque on the wall, doesn't mean you stay current with everything.  Not all medical professionals are created equal.

Source: earlier in this thread.

The idea that anyone with a different opinion must be uninformed doesn't make sense to me. It's not at all uncommon for two people to read the same information but draw different conclusions. Some medical professionals may be focusing on Italy and assuming that will be the case here in the US. Others may be reading about India or even areas in China outside Hubei and feeling reassured.

The experts we keep reading about seem to lean very heavily toward warning against worst case scenarios. And I fully understand the reasons why. But that doesn't mean we should expect that. And it doesn't mean that people are uninformed for looking at current data and recent actions and coming to a conclusion that isn't doom and gloom.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: March 14, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »
The idea that anyone with a different opinion must be uninformed doesn't make sense to me. It's not at all uncommon for two people to read the same information but draw different conclusions. Some medical professionals may be focusing on Italy and assuming that will be the case here in the US. Others may be reading about India or even areas in China outside Hubei and feeling reassured.

The experts we keep reading about seem to lean very heavily toward warning against worst case scenarios. And I fully understand the reasons why. But that doesn't mean we should expect that. And it doesn't mean that people are uninformed for looking at current data and recent actions and coming to a conclusion that isn't doom and gloom.

But that isn't what I said at all.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #1122 on: March 14, 2020, 10:59:03 PM »
My son started displaying symptoms tonight, so I took him to get tested.  A parent of one of his daycare classmates tested positive today.  Besides the testing area looking like a scene from outbreak, it was pretty fast and we were the only ones there for the 45 min it took. 

We're on self quarantine til our results come back, but stay safe out there.  I think it takes a case of it hitting home (our actual home) to shed some true light on the situation.

The Dr. basically said kids will be fine, they just are spreading it due to a lack of signs.  My boy is sleepy now, but was happy and playing all day.

He said my age group basically will get flu like symptoms and to not stress out about it unless there's severe shortness of breath (only being able to speak in one word increments was his sign to worry)

Lastly, he said 65+ is prayed on by the disease.  So anybody on here in that category should do their damndest to stay home and in self quarantine as much as humanly possible. 

Cheers everyone.  Any prayers would be appreciated, and we're going to take this one day at a time.  I will keep you all posted if you'd care for a separate superbar thread.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: March 14, 2020, 11:08:29 PM »

The experts usually give a range. What is usually presented by journalists is the high end of the range, so worst case scenario.

If you want to know the best case scenario, it would be on the end of the spectrum I said earlier, 5k cases right now that are in the midst of the illness.

Talking to a colleague made me a bit more pessimistic. They are very good at the modeling, Their best case scenarios are more dismal than, mine, but they were able to explain why my thoughts were consistent with theirs, but missing several key details.

In general, there are a lot of cases out there right now in the early stage of the illness, just getting symptoms, or still incubation period but spreading. How things ramp up this week, will tell us where in the range of possibilities we are.

I'm going to stick with optimism, but I'm prepared to be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:14:32 PM by forgetful »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: March 14, 2020, 11:15:05 PM »
The leader of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte canceled most Masses late Saturday after Gov. Roy Cooper banned gatherings of 100 people or more.

Bishop Peter Jugis canceled Masses at all churches with a seating capacity of at least 100 until further notice. The diocese spans 46 counties.

Churches that seat 100 or fewer may continue offering Mass.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241205576.html?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback