Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler v. Nick Williams  (Read 5515 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Jimmy Butler v. Nick Williams
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »
I think Marquette got the better of the two players

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
Re: Jimmy Butler v. Nick Williams
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »
Butler has been the consumate team player. He has sacrificed his perimeter game and is doing what MU needs. I look forward to seeing him come out of his shell next year.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
Maybe but not having Ty Taylor really hurts now that we are getting nothing from Acker or Cube.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 03:57:07 PM »
Maybe but not having Ty Taylor really hurts now that we are getting nothing from Acker or Cube.

Really hurts?
Last I checked this team was 23-4 and 12-2 and in the Big East. If that's really hurting, let's hope they can really hurt through late March and beyond.

Not saying that Taylor couldn't, or wouldn't, help, but MU certainly isn't hurting without him.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
With the Williams kid coming in next year, MU has more than enough Williams boys on the team.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
With the Williams kid coming in next year, MU has more than enough Williams boys on the team.

Are you kidding me? We could use Nick Williams and Terrence Williams. And if he was still playing D-I ball with eligibility, Deron Williams!
  ;)
SS Marquette

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »
Butler is growing on me.   He's long which has helped him in rebounding the ball and has a smooth touch.  Probably not going to be a dynamo but solid if he keeps getting better. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 05:10:47 PM »
Buck Williams would probably help the most. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
MU could use Jason Williams, Jason Williams or Jayson Williams.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »
I'd take Roy Williams. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
I think it is pretty hard to tell right now if we got the better player.  Considering that Butler has the big four as a surrounding cast, and Williams has a bunch of walk-ons, Butler has the easier role to fill.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »
I think it is pretty hard to tell right now if we got the better player.  Considering that Butler has the big four as a surrounding cast, and Williams has a bunch of walk-ons, Butler has the easier role to fill.

True, but on the other hand Williams has far more chances in the Indiana system, and typically isn't required to play out of position - two opportunities Butler is not currently afforded.
It's probably too soon to say who the better player is, but I have no complaints about Butler, nor am I pining for Nick Williams.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
Does Scott Williams have any eligibility left?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
Butler has more upside than Williams.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »
Really hurts?
Last I checked this team was 23-4 and 12-2 and in the Big East. If that's really hurting, let's hope they can really hurt through late March and beyond.

Not saying that Taylor couldn't, or wouldn't, help, but MU certainly isn't hurting without him.

With a good backup guard we could of had maybe 1 or 2 losses at most and better chance at a Big East title.  Acker in the South Florida game bombed down the stretch.  Against Tennessee, McNeal had to play the end of the first half when he had 2 fouls and picked up a third because we couldn't afford any drop off.  Against Dayton we had to go with Acker, Cube and James on the court at the same time when we were trying to make a comeback late in that game.  

A good backup guard would have made a difference.  A good backup guard would allow Buzz to substitute DJ at the end of games with his horrible free throw shooting.  Im shocked Georgetown didn't foul DJ down the stretch today.  A good backup guard would allow Buzz to sit DJ and McNeal an extra couple of minutes here and there.  Not geting rest hasn't been a problem so far but could be a huge problem come tournament time when your playing games on short rest.

So no they are not hurting in terms of hurting to make the tourny but with a quality backup guard like Taylor, this team would be in better position down the stretch.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 09:53:30 PM »

Yes, but TyTaylor aint going to play in Madison Square Garden this year!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »
Keep in mind that the only way that Taylor and Williams could be here is if Crean would have stayed.  And IMO, there's no way we would be 23-4/12-2 without Buzz at the helm.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 10:22:44 PM »
I dont think there is any doubt we would all like TT to have stayed.  He would have not only helped our depth this year but he would be all the more prepared to fill a hole next year.  With that being said Jimmy Butler is right now 10X the player that Nick Williams is and Buzz got us a really good player in Jimmy.  He plays at a wonderful level.  Doesnt get the shots of Wes or Jerel but I think he could really put up the scoring numebrs if he needed to.  He does and absoltuely wonderful job.   

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 07:55:38 AM »
Anson Williams still has a softspot for M'waukee...
he may yet be able to transfer from UW wherever.
 :D

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »

I see your point, but couldn't disagree more.  Williams can afford to make mistakes and is able to play a position he is comfortable playing.  Everyone knows he's a freshmen, playing on a terrible team.

Butler needs to come in, play out of his position, guard bigger opponents, rebound over bigger opponents, play mistake free basketball in a position he's not accustomed to playing and then make a high % of his freethrows. 

Playing the position you feel comfortable playing, as a freshmen, on a poor team is much easier than playing a new position, which your physically at a disadvantage, on a team that is ranked in the top 10.  Butler's willingness and ability to play the role he's played this year is much more impressive to me.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »
One was recruited by Buzz, the other by T-Cubed; 'nough said.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »
Watching N. Williams against Bucky he looked lost.  It looked like he had missed most of the practices leading up to the big televen opener!  I think it speaks volumes about the respective coaching staffs!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Keep in mind that the only way that Taylor and Williams could be here is if Crean would have stayed.  And IMO, there's no way we would be 23-4/12-2 without Buzz at the helm.

I guess the point I wanted to make by bringing up Taylor is that it is silly to bring up these arguements of who got the better player.  Butler vs Williams.  Who cares.  One wanted to be here, the other didn't.  But why bring up Butler vs Williams to just feel good.  Why not Butler vs Taylor?  Because that didn't make us feel quite as good?  

All three have made some very good contributions this year.  All 3 have unique situations.  I guess next year will be telling in that Butler won't have the big 3 causing havoc on the other team which in turns makes it easier for everyone else.  Based on talent and need for next year, Taylor is the clear cut choice but I will take Butler and be happy because he wanted to be here.

jpwi2004

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »
I thought Butler was going to be good after watching him early in the season against a cupcake. The three things that struck me were his free throw shooting, athleticism, and hustle. He looked like he belonged out there from the start. I think this guy has the ability to be the man out there with Hayward next year.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »
I am hoping Maymon is the man with Hayward next year, with Butler continuing coming off the bench and producing like he has.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »
I dont think there is any doubt we would all like TT to have stayed.  He would have not only helped our depth this year but he would be all the more prepared to fill a hole next year.  With that being said Jimmy Butler is right now 10X the player that Nick Williams is and Buzz got us a really good player in Jimmy.  He plays at a wonderful level.  Doesnt get the shots of Wes or Jerel but I think he could really put up the scoring numebrs if he needed to.  He does and absoltuely wonderful job.   

TT would be huge for us next season. TT made the right choice for himself personally. He is playing far more now than he would if he stayed with MU.

feedback