'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Tournament Open Thread  (Read 52863 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: NCAA Tournament Open Thread
« Reply #400 on: April 06, 2019, 08:44:07 PM »
This. Inexcusable to miss that call then make a call to decide the game. Refs are so horrible

Wouldn't calling the DD "decide the game"?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #401 on: April 06, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »
The question that also has to be answered is whether he was fouled before he even committed the double dribble.  If he was, then that missed call negates the double dribble.  Yes, human beings make mistakes.  Lots of swallowing the whistle on last shots over the years, twice now in this tournament the refs didn't do that and got the call right both times....and yes, that doesn't take away from other mistakes they made in the game.  I'll still give kudos for a ref to call a foul at the end of a game when so often they refuse to and suddenly a foul with 9 minutes to go isn't with 2 seconds to go.

Sure as hell looks like he was fouled before he double dribbled

https://twitter.com/pricey43/status/1114685328839794688

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:49:30 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #402 on: April 06, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »
Wouldn't calling the DD "decide the game"?
You can’t make one but miss the other particularly as blatant as it was. That’s the point
No Finish Line

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #403 on: April 06, 2019, 08:51:32 PM »
It’s awesome that every statistic that starts with “lowest scoring x since” ends with “Wisconsin team”

:)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #404 on: April 06, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »
It’s awesome that every statistic that starts with “lowest scoring x since” ends with “Wisconsin team”

:)

Brutal half.  Absolutely brutal.

That said, Izzo's teams are built to go either up or down tempo.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #405 on: April 06, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
Over under if Tech wins for Monday night may be 110 points.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #406 on: April 06, 2019, 08:59:24 PM »
Auburn tried to foul him before the DD but for some crazy reason the ref didn't call it. I mean, the defender reached out and grabbed him. So in the wildness of it all, they missed the DD and then the foul call to set up the final play.

The foul on the 3-pointer was absolutely the correct call, and I commend the ref for having the stones to call it.

And Guy ... he wastes no time after the ref hands him the ball for FTs. Just steps right into 'em and swishes 'em. Impressive.

I'm in the camp that if Bruce feels cheated somehow ... effen good! He's been cheating for decades. Screw him; karma's a beyotch, pal. But also, the call was good.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #407 on: April 06, 2019, 09:02:29 PM »
Auburn tried to foul him before the DD but for some crazy reason the ref didn't call it. I mean, the defender reached out and grabbed him. So in the wildness of it all, they missed the DD and then the foul call to set up the final play.

The foul on the 3-pointer was absolutely the correct call, and I commend the ref for having the stones to call it.

And Guy ... he wastes no time after the ref hands him the ball for FTs. Just steps right into 'em and swishes 'em. Impressive.

I'm in the camp that if Bruce feels cheated somehow ... effen good! He's been cheating for decades. Screw him; karma's a beyotch, pal. But also, the call was good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #408 on: April 06, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »
The devil made me do it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #409 on: April 06, 2019, 09:13:09 PM »
I laugh every time they show that ref high stepping down the court.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #410 on: April 06, 2019, 09:14:37 PM »
I don't feel bad for Pearl, but I do feel bad for the Auburn kids. The missed DD call was inexcusable.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2019, 09:19:39 PM »
I don't feel bad for Pearl, but I do feel bad for the Auburn kids. The missed DD call was inexcusable.

The missed call that caused the DD was inexcusable.  He was fouled.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #412 on: April 06, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »
Michigan State is being manhandled by Texas Tech. I am surprised as I thought they were a tough team .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Norm

• All American
« Reply #413 on: April 06, 2019, 09:22:58 PM »
If Theo John played for Texas Tech he’s never foul out

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #416 on: April 06, 2019, 09:27:49 PM »
I know MSU is in the final four and all but I would not trade Markus for Cassius.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #417 on: April 06, 2019, 09:28:54 PM »
Mooney is such a difference maker. It sucks that our grad transfer could barely dribble a basketball.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #418 on: April 06, 2019, 09:31:18 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/pricey43/status/1114685328839794688

Auburn tried to give the foul before the double dribble. The refs missed the foul call. Then they missed the double dribble call. Then the correctly called the foul on the 3 point shot.
That tiny brief jersey pull? A judgement call at best. The DD otoh, not a judgment call. Just a missed call
No Finish Line

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #419 on: April 06, 2019, 09:31:41 PM »
It feels as if TT's lead is like a 30 point lead in the BE at this point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2019, 09:33:56 PM »
That tiny brief jersey pull? A judgement call at best. The DD otoh, not a judgment call. Just a missed call

That is absolutely a foul. Auburn was trying to give the foul.

It feels as if TT's lead is like a 30 point lead in the BE at this point.

Careful. Lenny will throw some stats about how many times teams have overcome a 30 point lead in the BE vs. how many times a team overcame an 11 point TTU lead.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2019, 09:35:08 PM »
The missed call that caused the DD was inexcusable.  He was fouled.

The amount of contact required for a foul always has been (and always will be) debatable and inconsistent. But that DD should be called every time. UVa caught a break.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #422 on: April 06, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
Btw, I think the coverage, studio, color and announcers/analysts have been outstanding all tournament.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2019, 09:36:09 PM »
That is absolutely a foul. Auburn was trying to give the foul.

Careful. Lenny will throw some stats about how many times teams have overcome a 30 point lead in the BE vs. how many times a team overcame an 11 point TTU lead.
Disagree. He was trying to prevent him from tracking down the loose ball then quickly let go. Fouls with more significant contact go uncalled all the time
No Finish Line

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
Mooney

Now that’s a mid major grad transfer
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....