* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[Today at 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[Today at 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Film Study  (Read 3091 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Film Study
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
If I'm Wojo, I'm not going to spend much time watching film of last night's game.  The first half was a mess (14 TOs) that we were lucky to weather.  The second half was a collapse.  It's not like the team doesn't know what they did wrong.

Instead, I'm having them re-watch games where we have come back to win and/or held on to a late lead.  Maybe Buffalo, or Georgetown, or Providence @ home, or Creighton (1st time).  Remind the team how they came back in those games and how to have the late game killer instinct.  They need a shot in the arm to remind them how they played when we were winning.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Film Study
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »
Nah mon, ur missin' da big picture. Opposin' coaches have figured out how ta beet MU. Pressure Markus and heel turn it over. Put sum tall dudes on his ass and he kant get his shot up. Let da udder slow, finesse playas have der dey 'cuz dat won't get it dunn 'gainst quick, physical teems. Wojo duzant have an answer and his roster is limited in ability. Dat's da end of story, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »
Nah mon, ur missin' da big picture. Opposin' coaches have figured out how ta beet MU. Pressure Markus and heel turn it over. Put sum tall dudes on his ass and he kant get his shot up. Let da udder slow, finesse playas have der dey 'cuz dat won't get it dunn 'gainst quick, physical teems. Wojo duzant have an answer and his roster is limited in ability. Dat's da end of story, hey?

I don't want to admit this is true but it rings very true.   I'd like to think there are still adjustments to be made... improvements to be made..... maturity to be had...... I'm still holding out!!!!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:34:44 AM »
If I'm Wojo, I'm not going to spend much time watching film of last night's game. The first half was a mess (14 TOs) that we were lucky to weather.  The second half was a collapse.  It's not like the team doesn't know what they did wrong.

Instead, I'm having them re-watch games where we have come back to win and/or held on to a late lead.  Maybe Buffalo, or Georgetown, or Providence @ home, or Creighton (1st time).  Remind the team how they came back in those games and how to have the late game killer instinct.  They need a shot in the arm to remind them how they played when we were winning.

And the game before that and the game before that one.  Players have to just look in the mirror and say we have stunk the last three games and something has to change. 

connie

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 09:37:21 AM »
While you may well be right, I find it hard to believe that it took 24 games for opponents to figure this out.  There has to be something else to it.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 09:56:39 AM »
While you may well be right, I find it hard to believe that it took 24 games for opponents to figure this out.  There has to be something else to it.

I think it’s a combination of a lot of things.

For a good portion of the season, the poll rankings were somewhere around 10-15 spots ahead of the computer rankings. I think we’re seeing the team regressing back to where pretty much all of the computer models said they would be.

Opponents game planning is another. We were winning lots of close games before the opponents defensive game plan that we’re seeing now. The margin for error was bigger before when teams were letting Markus get his looks. Now they’re pressing and it seems they are forcing a lot more turnovers. Handing the other team 18+ extra possessions every night is not a very good way to win games.

My eye also tells me the team defense and rebounding has gone the wrong direction of late. They don’t seem to be getting big stops, or when they do force missed shots they’re not getting defensive rebounds at the rate they were earlier in the year. I haven’t seen the numbers to confirm, just a gut observation.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
My eye also tells me the team defense and rebounding has gone the wrong direction of late. They don’t seem to be getting big stops, or when they do force missed shots they’re not getting defensive rebounds at the rate they were earlier in the year. I haven’t seen the numbers to confirm, just a gut observation.

Defense has done some its best work the past three games. Rebounding was a big issue in the Nova game, a small issue in the Creighton game, and a non-issue in the Hall game.

Problem has been turnovers and poise at the end of the game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »
We’ve had three terrible games in a row, and we know what the opponent is going to do to stop us.   

What adjustments have we made on our end to counter what the opponent’s do now?   Sacar is the best at bringing the ball up.   If Markus is doubled or has tall defenders on him, what adjustments can we make to get Sam, Joey, Brendan Sacar more involved st those moments?   

Seems like we should make adjustments in the game and between games.   Have we?   Just asking

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »
We’ve had three terrible games in a row, and we know what the opponent is going to do to stop us.   

What adjustments have we made on our end to counter what the opponent’s do now?   Sacar is the best at bringing the ball up.   If Markus is doubled or has tall defenders on him, what adjustments can we make to get Sam, Joey, Brendan Sacar more involved st those moments?   

Seems like we should make adjustments in the game and between games.   Have we?   Just asking

I agree on using other guys to break full court pressure. The more the ball is in Sam's hands the better against the press. Breaking it with passes utilizing taller guys seems to be the best approach for us. We did that when Markus was out for several minutes and weren't turning the ball over. Sacar would dribble a bit then look upcourt to Sam or Joey, who could see over the traps and advance the ball again with a pass. As soon as Markus is in we try to have him dribble it up and he unfortunately seems to get trapped before attempting to move it elsewhere. Not trying to bash Markus, but clearly there is an issue that can't be ignored in terms of our approach to handling pressure, and his role in it. Film study, it seems to me, would be crucial and helpful in implementing changes and recognizing what we have to stop doing or the turnover factory will continue at full throttle.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 11:22:28 AM »

Wojo’s biggest test yet as a HC. He’s struggled adjusting his game plans the last three games and he’s struggled equally with managing his lineups. The rest of this season will be very telling
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 11:42:31 AM »
Wojo's game plans the last 3 games have produced manageable leads through 35 minutes.   15 minutes that looked like the first 10 minutes of the Kansas game are the problem.    In all 3, MU could not get the big stop on defense and either stood around on offense or could not get the shot they needed.   Against Creighton, it was careless turnovers.    Last night, only one turnover, but too much standing around on offense.    Lots of settling for 3's.    And a left handed jump hook from Theo.   (an aside:   many people say they want the post players to get more touches on offense.   Was anyone actually happy they ran a play for Theo in the midst of SHU's run?   For me, that was the most disappointing play call)       A JjJ or Vander who have size and would attack the glass is what MU missed last night down the stretch.    (a second aside:    You could just see a month of frustration letting itself out as Joey finally got an angle and went flying in for the thunder dunk that could have been the dagger.    Then, he got bumped with no call, missed the dunk, and the avalanche picked up steam)

But that is what team has missed all year.    And Wojo was able to nurse this flawed team to a 23-4 record, including a 20-2 stretch.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »
Is film still a thing?

connie

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 12:01:04 PM »
I don't see how you blame a gameplan for getting a decent lead with minutes to go.  Lack of ability to stop the meltdown, ok, but in each of the past three games I was feeling like we had weathered the storm of turnovers and uninspired offense, taken the lead, and were ready to salt away the win--when it all went to sheeet.  I don't know what lead to the total inability to score at the end of the last three, but if there was some magic switch opponents could throw they would do that earlier in the game wouldn't they?  Obviously we need to change something up, and just as obviously, we haven't found whatever that is yet.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
If im Wojo
I sit the team down for the film study and start with MUs first possesion.  Watch Theo set a solid ball screen and roll to the  front of the rim.  From there Markus is weakly double teamed and there is no one within 15 feet of Theo.  Sam stands in gaping astonishment of how fookin wide open Theo is as Markus rifles it to sam from 5 feet away.
Right then Wojo should pick up a chair or maybe a table and throw it thru the flat screen and adress Markus with.  “Pass the ball ball out  a fookin double team and just a hint but the most open player on the court is usually going to be the screener”. Id then run them for 2 staright hours in silence.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
If im Wojo
I sit the team down for the film study and start with MUs first possesion.  Watch Theo set a solid ball screen and roll to the  front of the rim.  From there Markus is weakly double teamed and there is no one within 15 feet of Theo.  Sam stands in gaping astonishment of how fookin wide open Theo is as Markus rifles it to sam from 5 feet away.
Right then Wojo should pick up a chair or maybe a table and throw it thru the flat screen and adress Markus with.  “Pass the ball ball out  a fookin double team and just a hint but the most open player on the court is usually going to be the screener”. Id then run them for 2 staright hours in silence.

That'd work well for a team playing 3 games in 6 days.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
Problem has been turnovers and poise at the end of the game.

Will they show Poise on Saturday? Depends. Last night was certainly no Assurance.
If they don't, I may soil my underwear though...
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »
Should Sam be taking the ball out after a made basket? If not Sam, who?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 05:21:07 PM »
If I'm Wojo, I'm not going to spend much time watching film of last night's game.  The first half was a mess (14 TOs) that we were lucky to weather.  The second half was a collapse.  It's not like the team doesn't know what they did wrong.

Doubt if Wojo will be watching tape. he will be putting together a new power point to enhance his contract.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 08:10:35 PM »
Willie never disappoints. Same material....but always there to kick Wojo when he’s down.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »

Yeah, I don't like the argument "other teams have figured us out" why haven't we figured them out?  They all have weaknesses too - why aren't we exploiting those? 
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 09:50:56 PM »
Yeah, I don't like the argument "other teams have figured us out" why haven't we figured them out?  They all have weaknesses too - why aren't we exploiting those?
It’s like a rookie in baseball first time around the league does well second time his weaknesses are discovered. The beauty of the Big East double round robin format  is it forces teams to constantly improve. If they don’t we see what happens.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 08:46:36 AM »
Should Sam be taking the ball out after a made basket? If not Sam, who?
Markus.

feedback