'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hunt: Buzz ran from MU more than he wanted VT  (Read 8068 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Hunt: Buzz ran from MU more than he wanted VT
« on: March 23, 2014, 06:12:13 AM »
I'm not buying Buzz has not faith in the new conference.  He was "encouraged" to leave ... Or "ran away from MU" as Hunt put it.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/251734561.html?ipad=y

How the new Big East played into Buzz Williams' decision

Granted, it impressed no one this year in its new form. The tournament champion, Providence, got an 11 seed and was bounced in the first round by a mediocre North Carolina team.

If Williams thought the new Big East - with no football schools - is going nowhere, now he has the chance to coach against former Big East teams Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame and all the usual suspects from Tobacco Road.

Of course, he'll do it at the Big East version of DePaul in the ACC. My guess is he won't be at Virginia Tech long if he has success. And if he doesn't, he's got a seven-year contract.

Either way, he ran away from Marquette much more than he wanted to be at Virginia Tech.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Hunt: Buzz ran from MU more than he wanted VT
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:17:24 AM »
To the KenoshaWarrior and everyone else that thinks Buzz wanted less pressure, from the article above:

Of course, he'll do it at the Big East version of DePaul in the ACC. My guess is he won't be at Virginia Tech long if he has success. And if he doesn't, he's got a seven-year contract.

Translated, the pressure for the great messiah BuzzWilliams to lead VT to the basketball promise land will be every bit as bad as it was at MU.  And he's doing it for less money.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »
This is about as bad of PR as it gets. A coach respected by his peers and most fans, would uproot his family to live in a small town in the middle of nowhere than to stay at MU. 

I know there is more truth to the story but for MU to let this get written is disappointing. MU should show some balls.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 07:26:13 AM »
This is about as bad of PR as it gets. A coach respected by his peers and most fans, would uproot his family to live in a small town in the middle of nowhere.  I know there is more truth to the story but for MU to let this get written is disappointing. MU should show some balls.

You don't think that people that understand are shaking their head at Buzz for making a stupid decision?  And Buzz's inability to explain why he left (IU doesn't need explaining, the Celtics don't need explaining, vT needs explaining) only makes him look bad?

They answer is yes to both.  It's not good form to say Buzz made an idiot decision the day after it was made.  Soon enough it will.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:19:22 AM »
This is about as bad of PR as it gets. A coach respected by his peers and most fans, would uproot his family to live in a small town in the middle of nowhere than to stay at MU. 

I know there is more truth to the story but for MU to let this get written is disappointing. MU should show some balls.

I agree with this.  MU is getting hosed and should get their side of the story out.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 08:25:59 AM »
I agree with this.  MU is getting hosed and should get their side of the story out.

If some of it transpired as some are suggesting (in part because of player transgressions), can you do that without tarnishing names of current or former players?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »

Patience

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 08:29:56 AM »

It's hard to do that elegantly. MU has their work cut out for them at this point.

Also: I want Todd Rosiak back.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
This was an impulse decision on Buzz's part.

A basketball coach as well-respected among his peers and in the world doesn't up and go to the DePaul of the ACC with a great deal of thought and consideration. You can give all the excuses about the Big East you want, but the reality is that something happened between Buzz and the University.

To use Buzz's phrase, "someone messed with happy." If I had to guess (and this is all grotesque speculation), it was:

1) Marquette is transitioning in leadership. Three athletic directors in three years (including Cords), Pilarz, who  did not seem to sense the importance of basketball in Marquette's identity all were a factor.

2) Buzz reads Scoop and this is where the serious fans vent. He took a lot of heat for this past year. It was deserved and we did not do well last year. But the expectations many of us have (especially those of us older than 50) and the consequent criticism when we did not achieve our objectives may have been perceived as ingratitude. I'm guessing the past that was the millstone around Kevin O'Neill's neck also may have been a millstone for Buzz.

3) If I had to guess, Marquette not making the NIT probably bothered him too. At issue is our stature and drawing power isn't even strong enough to interest the NIT (of course, Indiana wasn't invited either but that's another story).

4) We may have gotten tougher on our admissions standards, making it much harder to admit the Jimmy Butlers and Jae Crowders of the world. And, of course, having a Juco star transfer out before he played a single game and having Vander, who was never going to be Marquette's Rhodes Scholar candidate, ditch his senior year didn't help either.

Look, Buzz is tragically gone. I think it could have been avoided. But we need to look at ourselves and ask, "how do we keep this from happening again," and, "how to we build on Buzz's success in the basketball program?"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 08:43:44 AM »
Buzz has neither the time nor inclination to read Scoop.

This is not tragic.

Good luck to Buzz. Sorry, for all involved, it didn't work out.
We Are Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 08:47:04 AM »
Is this really any different than when Buzz's good buddy Frank Martin left a good thing at K-State for a bad program at a football school because he was unhappy with the administration?
K-State really hasn't been much worse for wear with Weber (two tourney appearances, albeit quick exits) and Martin has gone 9-27 in the SEC. In two seasons he's landed one top 100 recruit and next year's class is highlighted by the #32 point guard, #43 shooting guard and a two-star forward.

But, more importantly for purposes of this discussion, life went on at K-State. Nobody talks about how "bad" it must have been for Martin to leave, or what an embarrassment it was to see their coach leave for as backwater program, etc. Heck, nobody talks about Frank Martin at all anymore. Out of sight, out of mind.
Fact is, most people who care about these things know most college basketball coaches are vagabond mercenaries and the "shock" of a move like this is short-lived and soon forgotten.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:05:36 AM by Pakuni »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
Is this really any different than when Buzz's good buddy Frank Martin left a good thing at K-State for a bad program at a football school?
K-State really hasn't been much worse for wear with Weber (two tourney appearances, albeit quick exits) and Martin has gone 9-27 in the SEC.

But, more importantly for purposes of this discussion, life went on at K-State. Nobody talks about how "bad" it must have been for Martin to leave, or what an embarrassment it was to see their coach leave for as backwater program, etc. Fact is, most people who care about these things know most college basketball coaches are vagabond mercenaries and the "shock" of a move like this is short-lived and soon forgotten.

+1

Be patient, once we hire a new coach, and move on, while Buzz moves down, all the caterwauling about "embarrassing the University" will be forgotten.

I can't wait for the day my friends ask me "whatever happened to that Buzz Peterson guy and where did he go again?"

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »
Is this really any different than when Buzz's good buddy Frank Martin left a good thing at K-State for a bad program at a football school?
K-State really hasn't been much worse for wear with Weber (two tourney appearances, albeit quick exits) and Martin has gone 9-27 in the SEC.

But, more importantly for purposes of this discussion, life went on at K-State. Nobody talks about how "bad" it must have been for Martin to leave, or what an embarrassment it was to see their coach leave for as backwater program, etc. Fact is, most people who care about these things know most college basketball coaches are vagabond mercenaries and the "shock" of a move like this is short-lived and soon forgotten.
Kansas State is doing just fine since Martin has left.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
I do not think MU needs to say anything as long as they hire big name coach. The reality is that the Big East needs to expand to be relevant. I like playing every team twice, but it makes for a bad Big East tournamnent when the 5 & 6th teams are getting a first round bye. Add St. Louis and Dayton and then go after Wichita St and VCU.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »

A basketball coach as well-respected among his peers and in the world doesn't up and go to the DePaul of the ACC with a great deal of thought and consideration. You can give all the excuses about the Big East you want, but the reality is that something happened between Buzz and the University.

To use Buzz's phrase, "someone messed with happy." If I had to guess (and this is all grotesque speculation), it was:

1) Marquette is transitioning in leadership. Three athletic directors in three years (including Cords), Pilarz, who  did not seem to sense the importance of basketball in Marquette's identity all were a factor.

2) Buzz reads Scoop and this is where the serious fans vent. He took a lot of heat for this past year. It was deserved and we did not do well last year. But the expectations many of us have (especially those of us older than 50) and the consequent criticism when we did not achieve our objectives may have been perceived as ingratitude. I'm guessing the past that was the millstone around Kevin O'Neill's neck also may have been a millstone for Buzz.

3) If I had to guess, Marquette not making the NIT probably bothered him too. At issue is our stature and drawing power isn't even strong enough to interest the NIT (of course, Indiana wasn't invited either but that's another story).

4) We may have gotten tougher on our admissions standards, making it much harder to admit the Jimmy Butlers and Jae Crowders of the world. And, of course, having a Juco star transfer out before he played a single game and having Vander, who was never going to be Marquette's Rhodes Scholar candidate, ditch his senior year didn't help either.

Look, Buzz is tragically gone. I think it could have been avoided. But we need to look at ourselves and ask, "how do we keep this from happening again," and, "how to we build on Buzz's success in the basketball program?"

Sorry--this is too apologetic for Buzz and blames it on the administration. It was typical BS Buzz. He obviously wanted more control than the University would give. It is my way or the highway. He had a great salary, perks, budget, but as Keefe said, decided to cry, take his toys and run. The only thing "tragic" about El Bozo being gone is the ludicrous way he handled it, and the fall out we will have on recruits. Otherwise--good riddance to the cowboy shtick.

Still amazed at the number of people that like to put up defense for the guy. He cut and ran. Sayonara MF.

Still amazed
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »

I agree to an extent. If we knew this was coming since at least Wednesday (Reddit knew at that time), we should have had a Howland presser Friday at lunch, with Buzz in the background cleaning out his office.

I will say that we may not want it took look like we pushed Buzz out. Such an image looks bad if we're trying to reel in a top-notch coach.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 10:49:58 AM »
I agree to an extent. If we knew this was coming since at least Wednesday (Reddit knew at that time), we should have had a Howland presser Friday at lunch, with Buzz in the background cleaning out his office.

I will say that we may not want it took look like we pushed Buzz out. Such an image looks bad if we're trying to reel in a top-notch coach.

Have to be careful.  If we look like we are F'ing Buzz, that effects the next guy in.

Every coach knows they are getting hired to get fired at a later date (unless they bolt first).  If you have a reputation of F'ing them out the door it will affect your hiring of the next guy.

Patience

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »
I was thinking watching him decked out in Virginia Tech colors last night, that I bet he's more excited to be out of MU than actually going to Virginia Tech. Which is fine now, but in a few months, that's going to go away I'm sure. I think all the shock and awe has actually been good for MU PR. Everyone seems to be asking "Why the heck did he make this move?"

If we hire a good coach (which I think we will), it will be all the positive PR I think MU needs. Frankly, if we get Howland, and he cites the Big East as a big reason, this could be some very good PR.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »
This whole conference / looking for a bigger challenge thing is bizarre.  With his lousy year after being picked to win the conference, Buzz is the single most responsible person for the Big East being considered down this year.  Buzz couldn't hack it in the NBE, and now he says he needs a bigger challenge?  and people believe this?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 11:18:27 AM »

Keefe has stated this and he is right... Buzz had his own vision of what MU basketball was compared to the MU administration. That tension was there early on. I think it was more than just Pilarz/L Williams against Buzz.

Think about it, if Buzz was on the same page with Cords/Wild about the program, then why is the new AD hire such a big deal to Buzz? I have a feeling that Cords vision (the guy hiring the next AD) was closer to what Pilarz/L Williams had than what Buzz did.

Frankly, instead of asking "how do we keep this from happening again," better question would be "how do we find a coach who's vision of the program fits the university."

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »
Buzz has neither the time nor inclination to read Scoop.

This is not tragic.

Good luck to Buzz. Sorry, for all involved, it didn't work out.

Well, he's said to have worked 80-90 hours per week.  It certainly wasn't used on player development, inbounds plays, free throw shooting and other basketball fundamentals.  He certainly had the time if he deemed he was 'working' while reading it.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
Absolutely agree.  this is not the time to let Buzz spin the story or for us to turn the other cheek.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 11:24:33 AM »
Keefe has stated this and he is right... Buzz had his own vision of what MU basketball was compared to the MU administration. That tension was there early on. I think it was more than just Pilarz/L Williams against Buzz.

Think about it, if Buzz was on the same page with Cords/Wild about the program, then why is the new AD hire such a big deal to Buzz? I have a feeling that Cords vision (the guy hiring the next AD) was closer to what Pilarz/L Williams had than what Buzz did.

Frankly, instead of asking "how do we keep this from happening again," better question would be "how do we find a coach who's vision of the program fits the university."

This. 1000% percent this.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
Have to be careful.  If we look like we are F'ing Buzz, that effects the next guy in.

Every coach knows they are getting hired to get fired at a later date (unless they bolt first).  If you have a reputation of F'ing them out the door it will affect your hiring of the next guy.

Patience
I believe coaches know the politics of being hired.  O'Neil left, Crean left, Buzzard left.  I think a coach would love a shot at Marquette.  While Marquette hasn't had a career long coach, it has not been Marquette's actions, but the coaches decision to leave.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »
As I've had time to think more about this, it occurs to me that Buzz could only have made the jump to VT if he was kicking himself for some time about passing on the SMU job.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »
As I've had time to think more about this, it occurs to me that Buzz could only have made the jump to VT if he was kicking himself for some time about passing on the SMU job.

SMU is in a conference situation much worse than MU.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 01:21:23 PM »
SMU is in a conference situation much worse than MU.

But, it's in home state, offered considerably more money and has much greater support for building the basketball program than Virginia Tech.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.