Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 05:39:11 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by jfp61
[Today at 05:14:40 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by PJDunn
[Today at 03:14:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:01:18 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Calhoun eyes regular season title as goal  (Read 1827 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Calhoun eyes regular season title as goal
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=7783042

Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said Friday he has no problem with next season's only possible goal being the Big East regular-season title if the Huskies are banned from the postseason.

"There's no question that it would become a heck of a lot more important to us," Calhoun said. "There's no question that Louisville will be good and Syracuse will still be good."

But he's still holding out some hope, as is his new boss, athletic director Warde Manuel, that the NCAA will adjust its Academic Progress Rate (APR) calculations and use the most recent four-year period, instead of the time frame that started in 2007 and is keeping the Huskies below the required level to participate in the postseason.

"We're still hoping that there is an outside possibility that we can be a part of the whole shooting match," Calhoun said. "We would love to (be in the Big East tournament). But you can have a bad year and miss the (NCAA) tournament. We have had years where we've played only one game in the Big East tournament. This year, we played only one game in the NCAA tournament. The season is the season."

The Big East adopted a rule for all sports last month that states if a team is ineligible for NCAA postseason competition, then it can't compete in the conference postseason, either.

Calhoun said he is meeting with Manuel and UConn president Susan Herbst next week to discuss more approaches going forward.

"We've made mistakes," Calhoun said. "If they use the current data, then we'll be fully set to go for next year."

An NCAA committee is expected to meet on the matter sometime in the early summer to review whether the most recent four-year period would be used to determine the APR. Manuel contests the penalty phase was changed in October to include the postseason ban for the offense.

"We think that they'll look at the most recent data, and if they do, it could affect 20 schools," Calhoun said. "We're going forward to make sure this never happens again. At the same time, we've had two years of hard work to rectify this and we hope they use the most recent data."

The situation has two members of Congress saying they will take a closer look at the NCAA.

U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal and Rep. John Larson, both Connecticut Democrats, said Friday the system used to enforce NCAA standards "often appears arbitrary and unfair."

Blumenthal and Larson said they plan to "shine a light on the way the NCAA enforces its rules and review all possible courses of action to compel reform."

UConn's APR for 2009-10 was 826, but for the 2010-11 year it was 978. Under the rule adopted in October, each school must have a two-year average of 930 or a four-year average of 900 on a scale that measures the academic performance of the players.

UConn's two-year score of that period from 2009 to 2011 would be 902 and a four-year score below 890, which keeps UConn out of the 2013 postseason. But if the most recent scores from the past two school years are used, including this season, then UConn contests it would be eligible.

Calhoun said he was in his office at 8 a.m. ET Friday working on all issues with the program.

"We're here, we're trying to be here for the players and advising them," Calhoun said.

Calhoun said he has been in contact with the Huskies' top-signed recruit, Omar Calhoun of Christ the King High in New York. The coach said he fully expects Omar Calhoun to remain committed to the program. Calhoun scored 26 points at the All-American Championship in New Orleans and was named MVP.

Calhoun, a guard, would join a stellar perimeter with returnees Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright.

"He's a great kid and been really positive and we're close to adding another kid," Jim Calhoun said. "We've added two more scholarships. We're off the penalty (of losing two scholarships due to a poor APR). We had 10 scholarships last year and now we're back up to 12."

Calhoun said he and sophomore wing Jeremy Lamb will meet late Friday. Lamb is expected to declare for the NBA draft and likely would be a lottery pick.

Calhoun said he is going to meet with freshman center Andre Drummond on Monday. He isn't sure what Drummond will do.

Calhoun said the Huskies have given junior forward Alex Oriakhi his release. He's being recruited by a number of schools in the SEC, including national champion Kentucky, and Duke and North Carolina in the ACC.

The SEC has a rule that prohibits schools from taking players with only one year of eligibility remaining. But schools are seeking an interpretation given this special circumstance to receive a waiver to allow Oriakhi to play.

"He has indicated he's going to leave, he did all his work in school," Calhoun said. "He definitely wants to take advantage of playing right away. If it turns around, he indicated he would sit a year."

Oriakhi wouldn't need a waiver -- outside of the SEC -- to play immediately if UConn isn't eligible for the postseason. For any other player who has more than one year remaining in college, they would have to seek a waiver to play immediately without sitting a year in residence.

Calhoun said no other players have asked to transfer. That means the rest of the roster: Enosch Wolf, DeAndre Daniels, Niels Giffey, Tyler Olander, Boatright, Napier, Roscoe Smith and Michael Bradley all would return. Adding Omar Calhoun gives the Huskies nine scholarship players.

"There is a lot of optimism," said Jim Calhoun, who has two years remaining on his contract. "We have had obstacles beyond our control. For 25 years here, we've done pretty good, we're recruited here and have a good staff for next year. We're not the first program to have difficulties."

Calhoun said having former players Glenn Miller, Kevin Ollie, Kevin Freeman and Karl Hobbs on the staff has kept the Huskies even closer.

"We went from an 18-16 season to being picked 10th to winning the Big East tournament and the national title," Calhoun said of the 2011 season that was led by Kemba Walker.

UConn was 20-14 this past season, 8-10 in the Big East and lost to No. 8 seed Iowa State in Louisville in the NCAA second round.

Calhoun, who turns 70 on May 10, has won three national titles and 873 games in his career. He has survived two bouts of cancer, eight broken ribs from a bike accident and most recently, in February, had to have a piece of a disk removed from his lower back that was pressing on a nerve that forced him to miss eight games. He also had to sit the first three games of the Big East season for violations related to the recruitment of former player Nate Miles.

"We believe in what we're doing," Calhoun said. "Right now, we're making sure the kids in the program and the couple of kids we're talking to that are coming in like Omar are prepared. We're finishing the semester with three more weeks. We have a lot of work to do but we're all looking forward to the future."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Calhoun eyes regular season title as goal
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:18:44 PM »

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=7783042

Calhoun said the Huskies have given junior forward Alex Oriakhi his release. He's being recruited by a number of schools in the SEC, including national champion Kentucky, and Duke and North Carolina in the ACC.

Gosh, it seems like Alex Oriakhi won't have to settle for Division II as UConn posters have said.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
Uconn announced another transfer out of the program yesterday.  A freshman who dis not play often.  They also announced a transfer in.  A guy from Holy Cross who's graduating in May and can play his final year of eligibilty right away this fall.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »
So if they use the most recent 4 year period instead of the on starting in 2007, as Calhoun is requesting, shouldn't UConn have been banned from the postseason this past year?  Where was Calhoun's campaign to get the NCAA to use the most recent 4 year period last year?  Apparently his idea is to use whichever 4 year period looks best for him.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »
Uconn announced another transfer out of the program yesterday.  A freshman who dis not play often.  They also announced a transfer in.  A guy from Holy Cross who's graduating in May and can play his final year of eligibilty right away this fall.

Is that Michael Bradley? If so...what a poorly treated player. He picks UConn, doesn't play for 2 years (one redshirt year), was reportedly the guy who'd give up his scholarship for Drummond, and now is on the way out? I feel bad for the kid...maybe he just isn't Big East caliber, but it sure sounds like he was willing to bend over for the program, and all they did was take advantage of him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
From the New Haven Register.
http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/04/13/sports/doc4f8880c7beae0048023262.txt?viewmode=fullstory

UCONN MEN'S BASKETBALL: Michael Bradley on the way out, R.J. Evans on the way inPublished: Friday, April 13, 2012

By Bill Cloutier, Assistant Sports Editor
bcloutier@nhregister.com / Twitter: @BillCloutier

Connecticut's Roscoe Smith (22) guards Holy Cross' R.J. Evans (10) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in Hartford, Conn., on Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011. Evans scored a team-high 15 points in his team's 77-40 loss. (AP Photo/Fred Beckham)

The revolving door keeps spinning for the UConn men’s basketball team.

Andre Drummond opted to enter the NBA draft on Thursday. Earlier in the week Jeremy Lamb declared his NBA intentions.

Friday wasn’t any quieter.

According to reports, redshirt freshman forward Michael Bradley was granted his release from the school. Bradley, who didn’t play this season, will join starting power forward Alex Oriakhi in transferring from the school.

UConn, however, has landed a transfer for the 2012-13 season. Former Register All-Stater R.J. Evans, of Salem, who has played the previous three seasons at Holy Cross, announced that he will finish his collegiate career at UConn. Evans, who played his high school ball at Norwich Free Academy, will pursue his Master’s degree at UConn.

Evans averaged 11.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists for the Crusaders last season. He averaged 12.5 points and 5.0 rebounds per game in his career at Holy Cross.

“It’s every Connecticut kid’s dream to play at UConn. It’s a dream come true. I’m grateful and thank God,” Evans told the New London Day. “It’s a great opportunity and I’m going to make the best of it.”

Evans received a medical redshirt after missing most of the 2010-11 season with a sports hernia. Under the NCAA’s graduate student transfer-exception rule, Evans would be eligible to play next season.

Evans joins incoming freshman Omar Calhoun as players due to join the program in the fall.

Drummond made his decision to leave official on Friday.

“My family and I feel that this is the right time for me to take the next step in my basketball career,” Drummond said. “It has always been a goal of mine to compete against the world’s best players and that is one of the big factors for me in making this decision.

“Although I was only at UConn for one year, the experience I gained playing against the best competition at the college level greatly helped me prepare for what I will face as I pursue a career as a professional.”

The 6-foot-10 center from Middletown is expected to be a top five pick in the NBA draft, which takes place on June 28 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“Andre is a developing player with unlimited potential and his projected position in the draft is as good as almost any player I’ve ever had,” UConn coach Jim Calhoun said. “Very few players get such a tremendous opportunity, and he’s got to take advantage of it.”

To receive breaking news first, simply text the word nhsports to 22700. *Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Text HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »
Hmm...if I'm a transfer right now, the last place I want to go is UConn for 1 season. Great, my dream of playing for the Huskies is coming true! Playing alongside future NBA stars the scrubs that stuck around, competing for a Big East Tourney Title watching the Big East Tourney on TV before making a deep run in the Big Dance putting my nose to the grindstone to study in March and early April.

Woo! It's a dream nightmare come true.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
Today's paper said UConn scheduled a home & home with the U of Washington yesterday as they're looking to strengthen their OOC schedule due to the 2013 NCAA ban.  The article's author then questioned the strength of the Pac-12.