[Today at 01:43:12 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Addresses His Future ... (sort of)  (Read 8078 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Buzz Addresses His Future ... (sort of)
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »

The article about Buzz's sleep problems (which has its own thread), it concludes in this interesting way ...

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/6a1310b1cd3c4ac39ab3a4c24f8bea69/BKC--NCAA-Marquette-Sleepless-Buzz/

Williams said he won't address his future until the Golden Eagles' season is over, but reiterated how much he appreciates the fact that Marquette gave him a chance.

"There's a lot of gamesmanship that goes on in this — none of which I have participated in," Williams said. "And yeah, there's people trying to get to me. I'm not going to participate in any of that, because that is not right by our institution, that's not right by our players, that's not right by our coaches. But I will address it when the season is over."

---

Let me translate and others can agree and/or disagree ...

Buzz has not sent out feelers to anyone.  Buzz has not been contacted by anyone (although you read it as they are trying and he said "not until the season is over").  Buzz has done nothing to provoke these rumors.

All we have is reporters talking to reporters repeating what they say to each other.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Buzz Addresses His Future ... (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »
That part wasn't in the original article posted online.  How does that end up in "The Republic" of Columbus, Indiana anyway?  First paper to pick up the AP feed?

I am heartened to read "he appreciates the fact that Marquette gave him a chance."
Ludum habemus.

MarquetteNation

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:18:44 PM »
Buzz has several reasons for not squashing any rumors that he may be leaving (even if he has no intention of going anywhere):

(1) He has to prepare for North Carolina
(2) He'll likely be offered a raise after this season, and publicly stating that he's not going anywhere takes away one of his biggest bargaining chips 
(3) The more his name is out there as a candidate, the more high profile he becomes - which would seemingly make it easier for him to recruit top prospects

I wish he'd come out and say "I'll be at MU as long as they'll have me."  But if I were him, I seriously doubt that I would either (even if I was 100% committed to staying).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
More from the same press conference:

What's next for Buzz

Every Marquette victory makes Buzz Williams all the more attractive for athletic directors looking to hire a new head coach. Williams' name has been linked to several openings thus far and is considered a leading candidate to replace Jeff Capel who was fired after going 27-36 his last two years at Oklahoma.

Williams has acknowledged the attention but goes out of his way to deflect the interest, choosing instead to focus on his team. He appreciates the interest, but still feels loyalty to Marquette, where he was hired as an assistant after leaving the head coaching job at New Orleans.

"I want the focus to be on our team," Williams said. "What our team has been able to accomplish is great. That's not me dodging the question. ... Marquette gave me a chance when I had no job. The job was open seven days. I owned a house in Louisiana. I owned a house in Mequon. ... there's a lot of gamesmanship that goes into this, none of which I have participated in.

"There are people trying to get to me but I am not going to participate in that. It's not right by our institution, our players or our coaches. I will address it when the season is over."

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/musweet16preview2011.html

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
I am very nervous about Buzz leaving.  It seems to me, if Buzz really "wants the focus to be on our team", all he has to say is "I'll be at Marquette as long as they'll have me" that's it, end of story, no more questions, focus back on our team.  For some reason he has chosen not to say that and that concerns me.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
I am very nervous about Buzz leaving.  It seems to me, if Buzz really "wants the focus to be on our team", all he has to say is "I'll be at Marquette as long as they'll have me" that's it, end of story, no more questions, focus back on our team.  For some reason he has chosen not to say that and that concerns me.

from above ...

(2) He'll likely be offered a raise after this season, and publicly stating that he's not going anywhere takes away one of his biggest bargaining chips

Should Buzz also not accept a pay hike?  No, Buzz is doing the right thing.  He is not engaging in now of this until the season is over.  And when it ends in two weeks, I expect him to address it almost immediately.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
Honestly, I think he's a stand up guy and he fully intends on staying here, if not for the long haul at least next year.  I think he was genuine when he stated that he would "stay as long..."  Even if it doesn't pan out exactly that way I believe he meant it completely at the time and I think he intends to honor it much longer than he has so far at least.

I also think he knows full well that it doesn't matter what he says because reporters, etc. will link him to jobs and start rumors anyway.  He could deflect every day or say nothing every day, either way he's talking about it every day.

All that being said, I would be very pissed off if he were to leave after this year.  Make this clear - this is only if he were to leave before next season.  I am not currently angry; I like Buzz very much and very much want him to continue coaching here for a very long time.

But... If he were to say everything he's said and then bolt the first time an opportunity knocked at his door just 3 years after he started I would be very angry.  If he were to take the opportunity MU gave him when no one else would have just one year after he left a HC gig in NOLA knowing full well that he might never get another one (I heard that directly from him in Madison right after he was hired) and then spit on it just 3 years later because OU or anyone else came calling (possible exceptions for: UCLA, Duke, UNC, KU) I would be very angry.  I don't think I would be alone and I don't think I/we would be wrong to feel that way.  I think I would be much angrier than I was 3 years ago and I think it would last much, much longer.

I am also absolutely 100% sure he's going to be coaching MU next year, so none of this matters.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »

Really, I don't care if he says what you want right now or not.  Maybe he is trying to deflect any pressure from the team.  I am sure they know more of the situation than the board does.   The fact we are speculating does not transfer to what is going on with the team. 

TJ

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »
He has said that numerous times.  It doesn't matter.  The rumor mill will ignore it and continue to link him to every job they can.  They don't need to be accurate they just need to feed the beast.  Hell, they still throw out Mark Few and Tom Izzo occasionally and we all know those two aren't leaving their respective gigs.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »

It's called leverage.  Any smart coach/business person has to use it to his/her full advantage whenever he/she can.

Today's hot coach is tomorrow's trash, see Capel at Oklahoma, Gillespie at Kentucky, etc.

Staying at the school that rescued your career while making as much money to take care of your family are not mutually exclusive.

Go Warriors.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »

Can't understand why people don't get that part of it. Anyone who's done professional negotiating knows this. This may be a passion for us, but it's a business for Buzz - how he feeds his family.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
It's called leverage.  Any smart coach/business person has to use it to his/her full advantage whenever he/she can.

Today's hot coach is tomorrow's trash, see Capel at Oklahoma, Gillespie at Kentucky, etc.

Staying at the school that rescued your career while making as much money to take care of your family are not mutually exclusive.

Go Warriors.

Yeah, right, no "smart" coach would allow integrity, loyalty, and plain speaking get in the way of "leverage".
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
All you guys talking about leverage do not get what "I'll stay as long as they'll have me" implies.  Implicit in that is this is a great institution I love and I'm sure they will take care of me financially and otherwise.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
All you guys talking about leverage do not get what "I'll stay as long as they'll have me" implies.  Implicit in that is this is a great institution I love and I'm sure they will take care of me financially and otherwise.

I agree and don't buy the leverage part either.  MU has to remunerat him at his market rate.  If not, they can lose him - regardless of what he says or does not say.  An OU or Ark can still come in and sweep him off his feet, as IU did with crean, so they can't take it for granted and underpay.

That said, today we see Mike Anderson will agree to go to Arkansas a day or so after agreeing to a contract with Mizzouri.  And we are quibbling over whether Buzz says he loves it here or not?  He's said that.  But, if he leaves, what difference would it make?  Yesterday Mizzou fans were happy ... tomorrow they will likely be pissed.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »

Can't understand why people don't get that part of it. Anyone who's done professional negotiating knows this. This may be a passion for us, but it's a business for Buzz - how he feeds his family.

I've watched Buzz pretty closely for the last 1066 days. If it's merely a "business" to him he has me fooled. If he spends 1/10 of 1 percent of his time thinking or worrying about the money he makes I'd be surprised.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:35:46 PM by Lennys Tap »

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
Buzz saying that he'll actually address these rumors after the season i view as a great sign. Here is why.

I'd assume that if he intended to purse one of these jobs after the season, he wouldn't address the rumors at all until he took the job or was just about to accept a new job. You don't see coaches right after a season ends talk to the media and say, well, i'm going to go interview for a new job and depending on how that goes, i'll decide whether to stay or take a new job. They accept the job in private first and then talk to their boss/players before addressing the media. Unless your name is Tom Crean and you tell nobody and let them find out on ESPN.

So if Buzz does choose to talk to the media about this pretty quickly after the season ends, it strikes me as more likely to just say that he never even considered leaving, but didn't want to address the subject while his team was in the tournament. It would be much more unusual for a coach to address rumors of his job status at all if he intended to take a new one because coaches never say anything before taking a new job. They just ignore the subject.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 07:32:26 PM »

You guys just don't get it. This is a business for coaches. He is going to improve his situation at MU or somewhere else.  all the more power to him. Every employee wishes he had leverage. give it a rest and enjoy the game.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
I've watched Buzz pretty closely for the last 1066 days. If it's merely a "business" to him he has me fooled. If he spends 1/10 of 1 percent of his time thinking or worryinag about the money he makes I'd be surprised.

Hmmm, interesting point
No Finish Line

Maryland Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 08:15:21 PM »

How long ago was it that he remarked about the "snow being above the car door" phenomenom? That's the only time he has said anything to make me think we would take his talents elswhere.

He'll stay. And we all will be the better for it

Character(is not built)   It is revealed   Buzz

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
The problem is that it's not a business to him, but he is a family man first and foremost.  That will be the driver on whether or not he stays or goes.  If he can make the same money at Oklahoma and be closer to Texas if his family wants that, that's where he'll be.  And I wouldn't call him disloyal if he left for those reasons, but it would suck!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
How long ago was it that he remarked about the "snow being above the car door" phenomenom? That's the only time he has said anything to make me think we would take his talents elswhere.

He'll stay. And we all will be the better for it

I think sometimes people overestimate the weather thing.  Yes it matters for recruits because they are stuck in Milwaukee for a good portion of the winter.  During basketball season Buzz is working huge hours so weather is less important.  During non-basketball season the weather is relatively nice.  How is Norman in July?  Not so good.

In terms of his family, they have the $$$ to take multiple trips to take breaks away from the cold.  This really helps a lot versus maybe the once a winter trip many Midwesterners make.   I travel a lot for work (posting this from Sydney, Australia as I type) and surviving the winter is easy when you are around for only about a half of it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »
How are the chicks down under?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarquetteNation

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »
"How is Norman in July?  Not so good."

>> Buzz already sweats too much...his two shirts a game average would get even higher.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »
I've watched Buzz pretty closely for the last 1066 days. If it's merely a "business" to him he has me fooled. If he spends 1/10 of 1 percent of his time thinking or worrying about the money he makes I'd be surprised.

Maybe a poor choice of words on my part since it is clearly his passion also, but there is the business aspect of it which he has to be mindful of since it's his profession.  From what I observe, Buzz does not have a lavish lifestyle so I agree that money - now that he has reached the 7 figure level - is not going to be the primary factor in this decision for him.

I don't see him leaving.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 10:38:27 PM »
"How is Norman in July?  Not so good."

>> Buzz already sweats too much...his two shirts a game average would get even higher.

That alone cut cut severely into any pay raises he might get.  He must stay!

feedback