'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why No Game This Weekend  (Read 2345 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Why No Game This Weekend
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »
Why no game Scheduled this weekend?  I thought weekend games had higher attendance (more gate $) and better TV audiences (more exposure).  So, why not schedule a break from Sat to Sat to even out the season instead of Wed to Wed?

Should MU have scheduled a non-conference game for this Saturday at home? 

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Why No Game This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
I'm not sure about the reason for the week break. I'm sure it has a lot to do with all the NBA arenas in the Big East that make things difficult. I know we have about 2 bye weeks during the year, I don't know if this is a part of that.

As far as a non-conference game, I thought I've heard it is a Big East rule that it has to be nationally televised if that happens (although I remember Florida Gulf Coast during the conference season in Crean's last year). I just remember that being brought up during the Duke-Georgetown game last year or so. I think a lot of it is that it is difficult to set up good non-conference games during the conference season, and most of those are games that are played more on a regular basis.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
We need the rest and coaching anyway.  The BE is enough of a meat grinder.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
We need the rest and coaching anyway.  The BE is enough of a meat grinder.

not against 7 days off, just make it Sat to Sat.

Florida Gulf Coast was a reschedule from earlier that year.  I remember that much but forgot the reason.

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
Hopefully Buzz gets some recruiting in.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »
not against 7 days off, just make it Sat to Sat.

Florida Gulf Coast was a reschedule from earlier that year.  I remember that much but forgot the reason.

I believe Maine pulled out of the Blue and Gold classic, so we rescheduled with Florida Gulf Coast later in the year and then played the other team in the non-conference season. I was just wondering by mentioning that if I have the rule was wrong or that was an exception to the rule.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »
I believe Maine pulled out of the Blue and Gold classic, so we rescheduled with Florida Gulf Coast later in the year and then played the other team in the non-conference season. I was just wondering by mentioning that if I have the rule was wrong or that was an exception to the rule.

I'm not sure Marshall/West Virginia was a nationally televised game--something WVU is thankful for.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
No game this weekend because the schedulres were clairyovant and knew it was Super Bowl weekend and the Pack would be in it. It is as simple as that!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
I think each team gets a bye week in the BE schedule, last year ours was at the beginning of the year.  Some teams (Uconn Texas, SJU-Duke) use it for an OOC game during the season.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
No game this weekend because the schedulres were clairyovant and knew it was Super Bowl weekend and the Pack would be in it. It is as simple as that!

If they were that clairvoyant they could have schedule MU v Pitt on Saturday at TCU as a way to introduce them to the BE!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »
Apologize for my spelling on clarivoyant.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
I was thinking about this earlier today...and then I just was getting pissed because there were only like 2 home weekend games while I was in school.  Deane/MU never scheduled weekend games when the students were in session in the mid 90's. >:(

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 11:34:39 PM »
What I hate is the Georgetown Sunday game followed by a St. John's Tuesday game. REALLY? One day break?!?

It's happened actually three other times this season, most notably Pitt Sat followed by ND Mon.
SS Marquette

feedback