[Today at 10:56:50 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MUDPT
[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Athletic - a public service message  (Read 2156 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
The Athletic - a public service message
« on: April 04, 2022, 09:04:16 AM »
I know several people here already subscribe, but I've been stubborn and didn't think it was worth it.

Nonetheless, I just noticed they have a $1/mo for 6 months offer, and my american express card is currently offering "Get a $1 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to make a single purchase of $1 or more online at theathletic.com by 9/30/2022. Limit of 6 statement credits (total of $6)." - and FREE is enough to entice me for a few months.

If you've never used amex offers, make sure to log into your account and click "add to card" before making the purchase.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: The Athletic - a public service message
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 01:06:08 PM »
I don't know if this is heresy or Foot Shooting 101.

I used to look at Scoop first thing every day. After some here recommended The Athletic, that is now my go to in the morning.  Scoop has been relegated to 2nd place.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 04:15:20 PM »
After 1 day I'm already tired of the Athletics' email spam.  Had to unsubscribe from 3 silly newsletters already.

I don't know if this is heresy or Foot Shooting 101.

I used to look at Scoop first thing every day. After some here recommended The Athletic, that is now my go to in the morning.  Scoop has been relegated to 2nd place.

But you still look at scoop, the Athletic doesn't have nearly the breadth of topics that keep you coming back.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 07:51:42 PM »
After 1 day I'm already tired of the Athletics' email spam.  Had to unsubscribe from 3 silly newsletters already.

But you still look at scoop, the Athletic doesn't have nearly the breadth of topics that keep you coming back.

I had a subscription for about six months and it was…fine. I would say every other week had a good article with info I couldn’t get elsewhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 07:59:11 PM »
I had a subscription for about six months and it was…fine. I would say every other week had a good article with info I couldn’t get elsewhere.

While I've certainly not been a subscriber long enough to judge, that's what held up my potential subscription.  I only really care about unique articles about Marquette.  The rest of the pro teams I follow, the info will come out elsewhere.

But again, "free" is a deal that I'll accept.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 07:50:39 AM »
Does The Athletic have an NM thread?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 07:55:19 AM »

Sort of like how SI has a swimsuit issue, the Athletic has an annual issue portraying lumberjacks chowing down on double beef n' cheddars with horsey sauce running down their beards.

Its certainly not for everyone, but does the trick during those long Wisconsin winter nights.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »

Remember when Spiral deleted the NM thread? That was doomsday. The best thing about a NM thread is the number new Scoop threads started has dropped from a high of 5320 in a year down to 1509 in 2021. I like focused uselessness.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 11:23:46 AM »
Remember when Spiral deleted the NM thread? That was doomsday. The best thing about a NM thread is the number new Scoop threads started has dropped from a high of 5320 in a year down to 1509 in 2021. I like focused uselessness.

"Focused Uselessness" should be the official Scoop motto.  But in Latin because that's more high class.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 11:26:26 AM »

"Focused Uselessness" should be the official Scoop motto.  But in Latin because that's more high class.

Focused Inutilia
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 11:30:38 AM »
Focused Inutilia

Oooo...  That sounds kinda dirty too!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 02:33:52 PM »

I think the closest I can get is "Attenti Nequam" Concentrated Worthlessness
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 03:51:12 PM »
I used "Focused" since it's actually a Latin word and it means "focused" in English too.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 07:21:38 PM »
I used "Focused" since it's actually a Latin word and it means "focused" in English too.

It's been a long time since sister Judith's Latin class,  but I'm pretty sure focus means fireplace in Latin
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 08:01:07 PM »
It's been a long time since sister Judith's Latin class,  but I'm pretty sure focus means fireplace in Latin

Fireplace…Scoop dumpster fire. Score one for the dead language.