collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: aaron hernandez  (Read 18629 times)

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
Re: aaron hernandez
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 04:35:26 PM »
Reports are that he took K2, synthetic marijuana (which, for the record, is nothing like the true jazz cabbage that we know and love). That crap can and does send people into psychotic breaks. So this event makes more sense now. Good riddance in any case.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
No doubt.  Just in this case it is my opinion that this guy had the world in his hands and everything in front of him and willingly chose to ruin it all, ruin other peoples' lives, and couldn't live with the consequences of his insane actions.

I agree with all of this.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 09:27:12 PM »
    where does one start...it seems to me that as society has lost a belief system in a higher power, there is no sense of wrong before a life is taken.

Please.

One doesn't need to believe in a higher power to have a sense of morality and an ability to judge right from wrong. I don't need to go into a rant about all the killing in the name of an effen higher power, do I?

I am a proud, very moral atheist. By the way most define "Christian acts," I am more Christian than a whole lot of people who claim to be Christian - including the effen leader of the free world.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:45 PM »
Please.

One doesn't need to believe in a higher power to have a sense of morality and an ability to judge right from wrong. I don't need to go into a rant about all the killing in the name of an effen higher power, do I?

I am a proud, very moral atheist. By the way most define "Christian acts," I am more Christian than a whole lot of people who claim to be Christian - including the effen leader of the free world.

Plus an awful lot of people who believe in a higher power also believe in the death penalty.

But that's OK as long as THEY get to decide who to kill.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 07:09:24 AM »
In other words, some people in the world commit violent acts.  Some do it because they have lost their moral moorings,  some because they are evil sociopaths, some in a momentary fit of passion, some because they believe it to be the will of a higher power.  In the end, it is still an act of violence toward another.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 08:03:08 AM »
In other words, some people in the world commit violent acts.  Some do it because they have lost their moral moorings,  some because they are evil sociopaths, some in a momentary fit of passion, some because they believe it to be the will of a higher power.  In the end, it is still an act of violence toward another.

Yes. Thank you.

I just hate it when folks boil these heinous acts down to lack of belief in God. The most "religious" people in the world are those on death row.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 08:49:21 AM »
Yes. Thank you.

I just hate it when folks boil these heinous acts down to lack of belief in God. The most "religious" people in the world are those on death row.

Being "religious" and being religious are vastly different.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
Thought-provoking article :

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/aaron-hernandez-exhibited-slightest-change-final-days-143616551.html
Thanks for this, as it did spur a thought/memory for me.

Years ago my cousin committed suicide. He lost his job in the Enron blowup, including his life savings/pension wiped out as all were tied to its valueless stock. For many months he was withdrawn and very depressed...we all were worried. Then...oddly...he seemed to snap out of it... for 2 to 3 weeks, he was smiling and engaged with others and life in general. He placed a very upbeat tc to his mom....and a few minutes later...he killed himself.

Its very very hard to think/say this ....but in retrospect we believed he had decided on suicide a few weeks before and found the burdens worries burdens lifted and freed him....maybe Aaron's upbeat change in the last few weeks paralleled my cousin's ....when you know you're going to go...where is there any continuing worry?

As the MASH song says Suicide is painless...It only takes a moment.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
Please.

My comment wasn't meant to say the decrease in society's emphasis on religion or even Christianity for that matter is the SOLE reason for someone to do heinous acts.  I also was not directing my comment toward atheists.  It's just my feeling that as religion seems to be de-emphasized today, there  Has been a rise in some nasty nasty stuff.  Yes, we are privy to more information and more quickly.  No, we are not going to hone this in on religious vs. non-religious.

If one doesn't believe there will be any consequences for his/her actions, you will see more of it.  With religion and a higher power, God for me, I believe that I am going to have to someday answer to what I've done here on earth, whether or not my action was called out or not.  The true test of a good person is what he/she does when others are not looking.  Forgiveness and humility play a big role here as well.  Of course there are many religious people on death row.  bc used to carry a bible around too, when it was convenient...We are going to find exceptions with many things. 

To be fair then jockey, I see your death penalty and raise you with abortion...decisions, Eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »
My comment wasn't meant to say the decrease in society's emphasis on religion or even Christianity for that matter is the SOLE reason for someone to do heinous acts.  I also was not directing my comment toward atheists.  It's just my feeling that as religion seems to be de-emphasized today, there  Has been a rise in some nasty nasty stuff.  Yes, we are privy to more information and more quickly.  No, we are not going to hone this in on religious vs. non-religious.

If one doesn't believe there will be any consequences for his/her actions, you will see more of it.  With religion and a higher power, God for me, I believe that I am going to have to someday answer to what I've done here on earth, whether or not my action was called out or not.  The true test of a good person is what he/she does when others are not looking.  Forgiveness and humility play a big role here as well.  Of course there are many religious people on death row.  bc used to carry a bible around too, when it was convenient...We are going to find exceptions with many things. 

To be fair then jockey, I see your death penalty and raise you with abortion...decisions, Eyn'a?

You said you weren't gonna "hone this in on religious vs. non-religious" ... and then you did.

You brought it up in the first place; I didn't.

IMHO, your argument is ridiculous. All one has to do is point at all the perv priests - these were men who spent their entire lives being super-religious. Where was their moral compass? Where was their concern about "consequences"?

I could go on and on and on, but I won't. Remember, you brought it up. Ridiculous.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »
I'm curious to see if his brain is examined for CTE.  His death doesn't seem related to symptoms of CTE, so it would be interesting to see if he has it.

“Now that the cause and manner of death have been determined, the brain will be released to Boston University’s Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Center as Mr. Hernandez’s family wishes"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/did-brain-injury-contribute-aaron-163935820.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »
“Now that the cause and manner of death have been determined, the brain will be released to Boston University’s Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Center as Mr. Hernandez’s family wishes"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/did-brain-injury-contribute-aaron-163935820.html

I just hope Igor doesn't bring it to Dr. Frankenstein by accident!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »
You said you weren't gonna "hone this in on religious vs. non-religious" ... and then you did.

You brought it up in the first place; I didn't.

IMHO, your argument is ridiculous. All one has to do is point at all the perv priests - these were men who spent their entire lives being super-religious. Where was their moral compass? Where was their concern about "consequences"?

I could go on and on and on, but I won't. Remember, you brought it up. Ridiculous.

We are going to find exceptions in most things.  Many of those priests who obviously abused their positions of "religiosity" for selfish means became priests for the "opportunity".  Why do bank robbers rob banks? 

Read my statement one more time, a little more carefully before you try to use it to beat me over the head with it-I didn't say "I" wasn't going to "hone...". What I meant was, WE are not going to try to explain all of this off as religion/non-religion(atheism).  But yes, I did go on from a religious standpoint.  But one could also take a different approach and not be wrong as well.  This isn't a one size fits all.  I just stated my opinion from a religious point of view.  And I guess I'm rediculous?  I sense your statements are a little biased from past disagreements and it's sometimes hard for some to separate those. 

Ya know, they say in order to be a good golfer, you have to have controlled amnesia.  I am far from a "good" golfer.  Decent enough to enjoy the game enough to take my wife and me to places I wouldn't otherwise have gone,  but in order to enjoy the golf enough to  keep coming back for more, I've developed a pretty good sense of amnesia.  Try it sometime and you might like yourself a little more
                                                                                                                            Love, boo-boo

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
A couple of comments:

1) I have a great deal of compassion for the survivors -- the families of the men who were slain by Mr. Hernandez, as well as the family of Mr. Hernandez himself. I trust God will have Mercy and give them strength.

2) Mr. Hernandez was judged guilt of the act in a criminal court. His punishment protected society from his actions. But, none of us are God and none of us are in a position to Judge. So let's let God do Her job and let's us do our's.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 10:46:07 PM »
I just hope Igor doesn't bring it to Dr. Frankenstein by accident!

"Abby Normal."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 11:01:06 PM »

We are going to find exceptions in most things.  Many of those priests who obviously abused their positions of "religiosity" for selfish means became priests for the "opportunity".  Why do bank robbers rob banks? 

Read my statement one more time, a little more carefully before you try to use it to beat me over the head with it-I didn't say "I" wasn't going to "hone...". What I meant was, WE are not going to try to explain all of this off as religion/non-religion(atheism).  But yes, I did go on from a religious standpoint.  But one could also take a different approach and not be wrong as well.  This isn't a one size fits all.  I just stated my opinion from a religious point of view.  And I guess I'm rediculous?  I sense your statements are a little biased from past disagreements and it's sometimes hard for some to separate those. 

Ya know, they say in order to be a good golfer, you have to have controlled amnesia.  I am far from a "good" golfer.  Decent enough to enjoy the game enough to take my wife and me to places I wouldn't otherwise have gone,  but in order to enjoy the golf enough to  keep coming back for more, I've developed a pretty good sense of amnesia.  Try it sometime and you might like yourself a little more
                                                                                                                            Love, boo-boo

I took your advice and decided to re-read your earlier comment:

it seems to me that as society has lost a belief system in a higher power, there is no sense of wrong before a life is taken.  there may be a sense one did something wrong, but the feelings of guilt or remorse are foreign to these people

Your later attempts to explain what you "really meant" sounded kind of like a Melissa McCarthy bit on SNL.

Sorry, rocket, but I still find it ridiculous that you target society moving away from God as a reason for the kind of thing Hernandez did.

I'm not easily offended, but if I were, I would be offended by the inference that people who lack belief in a higher power are somehow more prone to committing heinous acts. Again, I think it would be pretty easy to discuss all of the heinous acts done in the name of a higher power.

Finally, who are "these people"? Those who lack belief in a higher power and therefore are unable to feel guilt or remorse for the heinous acts they commit?

Try again.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »

Pride and a feeling of moral superiority are common flaws in those on either extreme on the "belief spectrum". Thanks for reminding we inferiors who lack  your certitude.

But when you're done patting yourself on the back, maybe a little reflection is in order. Why do you have the borderline pathological need to bring up politics/the "effen" president in a politics free zone at every (made up) opportunity?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:09:02 AM by Lennys Tap »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »
Pride and a feeling of moral superiority are common flaws in those on either extreme on the "belief spectrum". Thanks for reminding we inferiors who lack  your certitude.

But when you're done patting yourself on the back, maybe a little reflection is in order. Why do you have the borderline pathological need to bring up politics/the "effen" president in a politics free zone at every (made up) opportunity?

Cuz he can, and as with most scofflaws, even da moral ones

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 05:47:25 AM »
The latest wrinkle:

http://www.newsweek.com/aaron-hernandez-hidden-sexuality-murder-police-587879

brings up an interesting dynamic-more post football brain issues, drugs n alcohol, personal or societal norms, life behind bars...people will be scrambling for reasons. 

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
RIP

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
The latest wrinkle:

http://www.newsweek.com/aaron-hernandez-hidden-sexuality-murder-police-587879

I'm sorry, but what absolute garbage. You think that might have made its way into discovery if it could stand up as something other than slander? One thing they didn't have (other than a gun) in Odin's murder is a really clear motive. The fact that this is coming out now tells me all I need to know.

Now, the circumstantial evidence leads me to #respecttheprocess and believe his guilt in the first murder, but this still amounts to slander.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 06:51:03 PM »

Lenny, what's your problem? I've never had any beefs with you, and I don't know where this is coming from.

I don't like inferences that only religious people have morals and ethics - which is exactly what rocket was doing. And out of that, somehow you get that I have feelings of moral superiority? Jeesh. Nowhere did I say I was more moral than all Christians or even most Christians. I would have no way of determining that. What I said was that I, despite being a dreaded atheist, am more "Christian" than a lot of people who claim to be. I stand by that.

As for including our so-called president in my comment ... I admit it is a weakness of mine. He is a horrible person and it bothers me that people who care about their fellow man (and woman) would vote for a dreadful human being like him. I should keep it off this board, yes. We all have our weaknesses ... except maybe you, I guess.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
Lenny, what's your problem? I've never had any beefs with you, and I don't know where this is coming from.

I don't like inferences that only religious people have morals and ethics - which is exactly what rocket was doing. And out of that, somehow you get that I have feelings of moral superiority? Jeesh. Nowhere did I say I was more moral than all Christians or even most Christians. I would have no way of determining that. What I said was that I, despite being a dreaded atheist, am more "Christian" than a lot of people who claim to be. I stand by that.

As for including our so-called president in my comment ... I admit it is a weakness of mine. He is a horrible person and it bothers me that people who care about their fellow man (and woman) would vote for a dreadful human being like him. I should keep it off this board, yes. We all have our weaknesses ... except maybe you, I guess.

+1000

feedback