* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 12:46:27 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Equalizer
[Today at 12:44:23 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rank the Big East Coaches  (Read 12838 times)

Room510

• Scholarship Player
Rank the Big East Coaches
« on: March 24, 2019, 07:13:41 PM »
As the season ends with a thud for conference, curious to see how scoopers rank the coaches - even if all have not had five years yet.  I'll go first :

1. Wright
2. Cooley
3. McDermott
4. Willard
5. Wojo
6. Ewing
7. Mullin
8. Steele
9. Leitao
10. Jordan

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Rank the Big East Coaches
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:18:41 PM »
Mine is off of just this season.
1. Wright
2. Willard
3. Wojo
4. Steele
5. Ewing
6. Leitao
7. McDermott
8. Jordan
9. Cooley
10. Mullin

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:31:23 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
Too soon for me to say about Jordan, Ewing, and Steele.

Wright's #1 by a mile.

I think Wojo, Willard, Cooley, and McDermott are all pretty close to each other as of right now.

Mullin and Leitao bring up the rear.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 07:29:07 PM »
1. Wright
2. Willard
3. Cooley
4.McDermott
5. Steele
6. Jordan
7.  Ewing
8 . Wojo
9.  Mullin
10. Leitao
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:34:25 PM »
1. Wright
2. Cooley
3. Willard
4. Wojo
5. Ewing
6. Steele
7. McDermott
8. Leitao
9. Mullin
10. Jordan
[/quote]

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »
1. Wright
2. Willard
3. Cooley
4.McDermott
5. Steele
6. Jordan
7.  Ewing
8 . Wojo
9.  Mullin
10. Leitao
About right.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 07:43:28 PM »

1. Wright
2. Willard
3. McDermott
4. Wojo

Doesn't matter. The rest are trash.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 07:45:20 PM »
This board used to destroy Willard every chance they got.  Hmm, could it be that coaches get better with age and experience.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 07:51:46 PM »
This board used to destroy Willard every chance they got.  Hmm, could it be that coaches get better with age and experience.

Well, four straight NCAA bids, a BET crown and a second game (Round of 32) appearance can change perceptions. 

Edited.  Thanks Nielsen
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:02:56 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »
Well, four straight NCAA bids, a BET crown and a second weekend appearance can change perceptions.

Next year Wojo will have 3 of 4, and I expect we will start to do similar things.

Of course, Willard's first five years included zero NCAA wins....in fact, zero NCAA appearances and only one NIT appearance.  They stuck with him.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 07:56:37 PM »
Well, four straight NCAA bids, a BET crown and a second weekend appearance can change perceptions.
Seton Hall has won a NCAA game, yet to make the 2nd weekend.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 07:58:55 PM »
Next year Wojo will have 3 of 4, and I expect we will start to do similar things.

Of course, Willard's first five years included zero NCAA wins....in fact, zero NCAA appearances and only one NIT appearance.  They stuck with him.

So...nine years to judge?

My bad...nine years to FULLY judge

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 07:59:53 PM »
So...nine years to judge?

My bad...nine years to FULLY judge

Why?  In 5 years Wojo already has us back in the tournament, several times, and top 3 conference finish. I expect even better next year. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 08:01:45 PM »
Seton Hall has won a NCAA game, yet to make the 2nd weekend.

Sorry...Too much going on today for me to keep up.  Round of 32 in 2018.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »
Well, four straight NCAA bids, a BET crown and a second game (Round of 32) appearance can change perceptions. 

Edited.  Thanks Nielsen

Do you care that two of the last three years he underperformed relative to expectations with an experienced team?

Do you care that his best team was humiliated in the NCAA by a double digit seed?

Do you care that he hasn't won more than 12 games and hasn't been close to a regular season title?

You weigh heavily the conference tournament title. As you should. It's a terrific accomplishment. Willard's been there nine years and wins eight conference games a year and has one NCAA win. Outside of those 40 minutes of ball, Willard and Hall are positively pedestrian. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 08:39:25 PM »
Do you care that two of the last three years he underperformed relative to expectations with an experienced team?

Do you care that his best team was humiliated in the NCAA by a double digit seed?

Do you care that he hasn't won more than 12 games and hasn't been close to a regular season title?

You weigh heavily the conference tournament title. As you should. It's a terrific accomplishment. Willard's been there nine years and wins eight conference games a year and has one NCAA win. Outside of those 40 minutes of ball, Willard and Hall are positively pedestrian.

I honestly don't care. Cheeks asked why fans backed off of him criticizing him.  I answered. Pretty straight forward that he broke through the Point A to Point B Wall to get to Point C. Wojo couldn't get to Point C this year.  Hopefully he can next year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 08:46:36 PM »
I honestly don't care. Cheeks asked why fans backed off of him criticizing him.  I answered. Pretty straight forward that he broke through the Point A to Point B Wall to get to Point C. Wojo couldn't get to Point C this year.  Hopefully he can next year.

My point was more that many here don't know what they are talking about when it comes to coaches, or their expectations are out of whack with reality.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »
My point was more that many here don't know what they are talking about when it comes to coaches, or their expectations are out of whack with reality.

I got your point.  I was giving the specifics why fans were backing off the fire Willard flaming.  He moved his team to Point C.  It is called achievement.

If Wojo had won the BE, or got to the Round of 32 or 16, or had made the NCAAs 3 (instead of a NIT) straight years and counting...it would be different.  As a result, posters here have moved into the fire, hold but moved to on the fence, or are holding on to the Rosey Still on Wojo buckets.

Wojo needs to get to Point C next year.  It is pretty straight forward.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:02:00 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Not going to rank them but one consideration should be the school and its resources. Not all schools in the Big East are on equal footing. That should  taken into account.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 09:31:00 PM »
Why?  In 5 years Wojo already has us back in the tournament, several times, and top 3 conference finish. I expect even better next year.

2 = several?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 10:33:31 PM »

Ya Seton hall was just as easy a rebuild as Marquette. I forgot they were a household names with a bunch of current NBA players with a huge recruiting budget.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:31 PM »

Edited.  Thanks Nielsen

Seton Hall last year had a senior-laden roster with a returning 1st team all-conference player and returning 2nd team all-conference player. They opened the season in the top 25, but struggled in conference, lost their first game in the BE tournament and ended up an 8 seed before exiting the first weekend of the NCAA tourney and finishing the season unranked.

If MU returns with Markus and Sam next year, finishes 10-8 in the Big East, exits the BE tournament on Thursday, earns an 8 seed and doesn't advance past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, will you say "Attaboy, Wojo?"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:49:01 PM by Pakuni »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 11:07:02 PM »
I have never thought much of Willard. I thought he made some underhanded moves to get an elite recruiting class and was trying to ride them to success and failing. The fact that he managed this year's team to an NCAA berth was impressive.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 11:07:33 PM »
1-9 ... All BEast coaches not named Wojo.
10 ... Stan.
11 ... Future Warriors coach Nate Oats.
12-ish ... Wojo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 11:20:10 PM »
1. Wright
2. Wojo
3. Cooley
4. Willard
5. Mac
6. Ewing
7. Mullins
8. Leitao
9. Steele
10. Jordan

Note: Wojo at #2 may not be saying much. I think he’d be the most sought after of any big east coach other than Wright. I wouldn’t trade him for any coaches I ranked below him. Big east has lost some coaches recently who I would have ranked ahead of him.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:28:02 PM by AirPunch »