[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka interview  (Read 4474 times)

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
Re: Shaka interview
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 08:53:56 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 01:35:11 PM by milwaukee ex-pat »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2024, 09:14:11 AM »
This tweet from Kevin Sweeney is also worth mentioning:

Quote from: CBB_Central
429 of the 1,838 players in the portal are using their COVID year: 23.3%.

However, those players are concentrated at the top of the @EvanMiya rankings: Six of the top 10, 11 of top 25, 44 of top 100.

It’s going to get a lot harder to recruit the portal starting next year.

https://x.com/cbb_central/status/1785300440613023748?s=46&t=y09G3XF0pbaZZc_-K-dYSw

Because you have 300-400 players each of the last three years taking a fifth COVID year, and because those players are better developed and prepared to contribute than typical new arrivals, we are about to see a significant downturn in the quantity of quality available in the portal. This year there might be 300 immediate high major contributors, but half are probably 23-25 year old COVID fifth years.

What that means is for teams relying on the portal, this is a bubble that is about to burst. Next year there will be far fewer quality portal options, which will increase demand with a decreased supply.

There will still be a handful of fifth years, guys that played in 2020-21 then took a redshirt after for whatever reason, but not nearly as many. Teams that are senior laden this year are going to be in for a nosedive next year.

I know it makes for a little more boring spring and summer, but we are set up to be good for years to come as teams like Xavier, Butler, and Villanova that have lived and died by the portal are about to face a difficult wake up call.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 09:27:54 AM »
I still have very, very high hopes for the program and believe that Shaka will make MU into a top 10-15 program year in and year out. That said, I 100% believe that Shaka's legacy at MU will be bigger off the court than on the court. When he was hired, I felt it was the best hire in MU history and not strictly based off of basketball. His impact to the university and the community will be what he is remembered for, along with his on court success.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 09:40:31 AM »
Before hearing this interview, I was discussing Shaka’s portal philosophy with a friend.

The theory I posited is that this goes beyond simply Shaka’s genuine belief in portal transfers, which I have little doubt he 100% believes in, but also goes to branding for his program.

This is a new era in college sports with NIL and coaches / programs are trying to find their identity in the new NIL world order. Shaka is branding his program as a unique place where kids who stick with the program will be rewarded. He brands his program as a place where the reward for being part of the whole, and part of a genuine family, is always much greater than any individual reward or short term gain.

Marquette apparently has decent (comparatively above average) NIL support. Most high majors have NIL support. Some more than Marquette, some less. So how do you stand out in that environment? 

You create a unique program unlike any other, where families and their kids can have faith that they won’t be “over recruited” by the next big thing in the portal, but where, instead, they will be rewarded (both in NIL and otherwise) for their loyalty to the program and their commitment to something larger than themselves. Where growth, personally, professionally, and in basketball, of each player through the course of their career is a stated priority backed by more than just words, but evidence in the way of actions and track record.

Right now, Marquette—with no portal activity in or out this year, and limited portal activity last year—arguably is the only high major program that can truly lay claim to that mantle. It is unique. It helps Marquette stand out.

And, when I heard Shaka say “…so you can tell those high school coaches that if they have promising young guys who want to run through a wall for their teammates, send them our way.” (14:13), I immediately thought, that’s the brand he is creating.

Find a space and fill it where there is a void. Shaka and Marquette are doing that now with their approach to the portal. Time will tell whether it is the right approach.

Outstanding post. I have made some of the same points both here and to my friends but not as well as you did.

Recruits already ARE noticing. Two of Shaka's reported 2025 targets - Miletic and Batemon - have cited this philosophy as one of the big reasons they like Marquette/Shaka.

As "brands" go, Shaka has found one that, as you said, truly can help Marquette stand out as unique. That he obviously believes in it so strongly is a major plus; it's a lot easier to sell your "product" if you like it yourself.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2024, 09:49:40 AM »

https://x.com/cbb_central/status/1785300440613023748?s=46&t=y09G3XF0pbaZZc_-K-dYSw

Because you have 300-400 players each of the last three years taking a fifth COVID year, and because those players are better developed and prepared to contribute than typical new arrivals, we are about to see a significant downturn in the quantity of quality available in the portal. This year there might be 300 immediate high major contributors, but half are probably 23-25 year old COVID fifth years.

What that means is for teams relying on the portal, this is a bubble that is about to burst. Next year there will be far fewer quality portal options, which will increase demand with a decreased supply.

This is a good point, and something worth monitoring next year.

Also I feel like all the moaning about the portal from HM programs stems from the fact that rather than poaching low and mid-major programs, they now have to worry about other high majors getting their guys. The more lateral movement is new.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2024, 09:58:18 AM »
There is a huge benefit to playing within the same offensive and defensive systems for multiple years. MU's defense was better this past season than the season before despite the loss of MU's best defensive player. Running to the portal for players that you expect to play big minutes will negate that benefit. Of course, I have never been in the "it's all about talent" crowd.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2024, 10:15:13 AM »

Recruits already ARE noticing. Two of Shaka's reported 2025 targets - Miletic and Batemon - have cited this philosophy as one of the big reasons they like Marquette/Shaka.

As "brands" go, Shaka has found one that, as you said, truly can help Marquette stand out as unique. That he obviously believes in it so strongly is a major plus; it's a lot easier to sell your "product" if you like it yourself.

Shaka is the real deal. While the argument of "making the team" stronger has been the mantra of those who want "starter level" transfers. I think this is a very important distinction as the team will be stronger for only that first year. After that? Just another portal happy coach in the eyes of the current players, and the team collectively will likely be weaker in the long term, lacking the development and promise of a chance to prove oneself inherent in Shaka's system.

Your marketing analogy brought a smile to my face. I had a small manufacturing company and developed a significantly different system and received a patent on it. My tag line? "so unique, it's patented".   

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2024, 11:22:27 AM »

There will still be a handful of fifth years, guys that played in 2020-21 then took a redshirt after for whatever reason, but not nearly as many. Teams that are senior laden this year are going to be in for a nosedive next year.

I know it makes for a little more boring spring and summer, but we are set up to be good for years to come as teams like Xavier, Butler, and Villanova that have lived and died by the portal are about to face a difficult wake up call.

Very interesting point.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2024, 01:34:35 PM »
Before hearing this interview, I was discussing Shaka’s portal philosophy with a friend.

The theory I posited is that this goes beyond simply Shaka’s genuine belief in portal transfers, which I have little doubt he 100% believes in, but also goes to branding for his program.

This is a new era in college sports with NIL and coaches / programs are trying to find their identity in the new NIL world order. Shaka is branding his program as a unique place where kids who stick with the program will be rewarded. He brands his program as a place where the reward for being part of the whole, and part of a genuine family, is always much greater than any individual reward or short term gain.

Marquette apparently has decent (comparatively above average) NIL support. Most high majors have NIL support. Some more than Marquette, some less. So how do you stand out in that environment? 

You create a unique program unlike any other, where families and their kids can have faith that they won’t be “over recruited” by the next big thing in the portal, but where, instead, they will be rewarded (both in NIL and otherwise) for their loyalty to the program and their commitment to something larger than themselves. Where growth, personally, professionally, and in basketball, of each player through the course of their career is a stated priority backed by more than just words, but evidence in the way of actions and track record.

Right now, Marquette—with no portal activity in or out this year, and limited portal activity last year—arguably is the only high major program that can truly lay claim to that mantle. It is unique. It helps Marquette stand out.

And, when I heard Shaka say “…so you can tell those high school coaches that if they have promising young guys who want to run through a wall for their teammates, send them our way.” (14:13), I immediately thought, that’s the brand he is creating.

Find a space and fill it where there is a void. Shaka and Marquette are doing that now with their approach to the portal. Time will tell whether it is the right approach.

Oy I hit the wrong "quote"  This is what I believe to be "perfectly stated"  Very nicely articulated - a singular brand - its going to work great imo..

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2024, 02:51:22 PM »

I think that sums it up nicely.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2024, 03:38:27 PM »
Oy I hit the wrong "quote"  This is what I believe to be "perfectly stated"  Very nicely articulated - a singular brand - its going to work great imo..

Yeah...about that. You give me a nice compliment on my post, then you edit it to nm. Thanks, Jerkface!  ;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2024, 04:21:05 PM »
Dgies, I'm glad we have Shaka's first season "portaling" out of the conversation.

About your hypothetical 5 star...I read that as a HS recruit, not a portal transfer. I think almost any 5-star freshman is focused on his NBA prospects before he even shows up at his chosen college. I cannot imagine a 5-star coming to MU when schools like UK, Duke, KU, Arizona etc. will give him plenty of PT to show off for the NBA scouts.

Before going further, those who question whether Shaka's style will result in success long term are asking a valid question. I think the answer is yes, but readily acknowledge the validity of their arguments that sometimes going to the portal is essential. I simply disagree with that argument.

My belief is that mixing Shaka's stated M.O. with a "starter-level" portal transfer occasionally is kryptonite. I could see a rare exception if we have a gaping hole due to a starter transferring out without a strong back up for his position, but Shaka's system is specifically designed to have a "next man up". I could also see the possibility of a transfer perhaps #8-9 on the bench. Then I could see "the team being good with it", but again...this would be an exception, not a variation in Shaka's M.O.

This is great stuff too that I absolutely sign off on!  :)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM »
This is great stuff too that I absolutely sign off on!  :)

We're good!  ;D