[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 256802 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #1875 on: January 25, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
So, is a generational talent like AR and the Pack, going just 1-4 in NFC championships with one Super Bowl win with him at the helm, a bigger disappointment than the 1985 Bears in terms of unfulfilled legacies? 

No wonder AR is upset.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1876 on: January 25, 2021, 10:39:23 AM »
Rodgers said yesterday that had he known they would have kicked on the 8, he would have run the ball.  I think he should have anyway.  He likely doesn't get in but they are inside the five.

You could tell that entire drive was rife with indeicison, right up to the point Crosby's fg split the uprights.  It wasn't a hurry up, out of fear of leaving TB too much time.  But LaFleur also wasn't willing to run clock in case they didn't get in or didn't get the 2 pt conversion. La Fleur was in clock no man's land, and he sort of just never made any decision and then boom, the game was over.  Always easy to second guess, but in addition to Rodgers not tucking it on 3rd down, the playcalling in the redzone seemed really uncreative/clock conservative too.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1877 on: January 25, 2021, 10:45:28 AM »
I'm not a Tom Brady fan. At all. But, knowing how competitive people like he and Belichick are, I'm guessing Brady is feeling pretty vindicated right about now.

I'm not saying it's justified...but I'm sure he's feeling pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:45:57 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1878 on: January 25, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »
So a team coming off of a Super Bowl and pretty much a lock for the 1 seed in the Playoffs for the last month of the season played uninspiring football for the last month of the season and are now dominating the playoffs, with the exception of the 1.5 quarters their future HOF quarterback missed.

But maybe the Falcons and Jets are almost as good of football teams as the Chiefs.

The last month of the season? Seriously? The last time the Chiefs won a game by more than 6 points before yesterday was November 1st against the mighty NY Jets. That’s two and three quarter months ago, basically the last 60% of the season.

Carolina, Atlanta, Denver and the Jets all suck. The Raiders and Chargers do too. But the greatest team ever either squeaked by them or lost outright to them over the past 2.5 months. Your eye test just isn’t borne out by the facts.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:51:06 AM by Lennys Tap »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1879 on: January 25, 2021, 10:49:05 AM »
So, is a generational talent like AR and the Pack, going just 1-4 in NFC championships with one Super Bowl win with him at the helm, a bigger disappointment than the 1985 Bears in terms of unfulfilled legacies? 

No wonder AR is upset.

I don't think history treats the Bears as an "unfulfilled legacy" as time goes on.  And I don't think time will treat the Rodgers era, or the back to back Favre/Rodgers that way as well.  Time tends to treat people more positively.

As a Packer fan, it sucks no doubt.  But it's better than 0-4ing in Super Bowls like the Vikings and Bills, and better than being a fan of a perennial disappointing team like the Lions.  Rodgers has played a lot of great football with dozens of memorable moments.  I will choose to remember those.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1880 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:53 AM »
You could tell that entire drive was rife with indeicison, right up to the point Crosby's fg split the uprights.  It wasn't a hurry up, out of fear of leaving TB too much time.  But LaFleur also wasn't willing to run clock in case they didn't get in or didn't get the 2 pt conversion. La Fleur was in clock no man's land, and he sort of just never made any decision and then boom, the game was over.  Always easy to second guess, but in addition to Rodgers not tucking it on 3rd down, the playcalling in the redzone seemed really uncreative/clock conservative too.

I thought the playcalling was even worse in the two drives after the Jaire interceptions.  They moved away from what got them the last touchdown - controlled passing game.  Both had "kill shot" type 20+ yard passes, and (I believe) running attempts that went nowhere.  Then relied on Rodgers to make a couple of tough 3rd down conversions, which he didn't do.  (Granted I am not sure if that was play calling or Rodgers audibling too.)

I think that entire fourth quarter was FULL of missed opportunities.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1881 on: January 25, 2021, 11:15:53 AM »
Once I watched the Bills 30 for 30, I stopped getting too down on “wasting” Rodgers prime. It’s really hard to win a Super Bowl. Other than NE, it’s not like there’s a ton of QBs with multiple Super Bowls in that time. Ben and Elite Eli. Both won their first before Rodgers was a starter.

The two previous NFCC games I didn’t have high hopes for the Packers. I thought we were a clear step below. This one stings because I thought they were better than Tampa.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1882 on: January 25, 2021, 11:16:39 AM »
The last month of the season? Seriously? The last time the Chiefs won a game by more than 6 points before yesterday was November 1st against the mighty NY Jets. That’s two and three quarter months ago, basically the last 60% of the season.

Carolina, Atlanta, Denver and the Jets all suck. The Raiders and Chargers do too. But the greatest team ever either squeaked by them or lost outright to them over the past 2.5 months. Your eye test just isn’t borne out by the facts.

The fact is they're on their way to a 17-2 season and back to back Super Bowls.  I never claimed they were the greatest team ever.  They're definitely the best I've ever seen, though.  Or at least was old enough to remember having seen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1883 on: January 25, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »
Best long-stretch teams I've seen since I've been old enough to know better (chronological order):

1972-73 Dolphins

1974-79 Steelers

1985 Bears

1988-89 49ers

1992-95 Cowboys

2001-04 Patriots

One thing all of those teams had in common is that they were excellent for a long time in the years before, after and/or between championships.

For example, the Dolphins made the playoffs for the first time in 1970, lost SB6 the following year, capped the only undefeated season in NFL history by winning SB7, absolutely dominated the league en route to a decisive win in SB8, and lost an epic playoff game to Oakland in 1974. That's a 5-year run for a team filled with HOF players. The Chiefs aren't there, at least not yet.

The Steelers won 4 SBs in 6 years, first with one of the dominant defenses ever and then with a spectacular offense. The Aikman-Smith-Irvin Cowboys won 3 SBs in 4 years and were a great team for a long time. In addition to the back-to-back SBs, the 49ers won 2 other SBs in the '80s and were still competing with the Cowboys (and winning yet another SB) well into the '90s; until Brady came along Montana was considered GOAT by many. The Patriots, I probably could have included 12-15 years in their greatness.

The Bears only won the single SB, but their 85 team was as dominant as any team ever and the franchise owned its division for a decade.

KC has a chance to stake its claim among these greats. First let's see what they do in two weeks. Then let's see what they do for the next couple/few years.

One thing for sure: These Chiefs sure are fun to watch. Mahomes is a blast - both supremely talented and extraordinarily exciting. I hope this proves to be a "generational team," because that means Mahomes will have stayed healthy and effective for years.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1884 on: January 25, 2021, 03:31:11 PM »
I thought it was kind of wild that KC played the AFC title game at home 3 years in row, no other AFC team had done it.  The only other NFC team to do it (or at least most recent)...Andy Reid in Philly.

Really happy the Chiefs are doing what they’re doing cause Reid is an awesome coach and a great guy who has always had baffling time/end of game situations tarnish what is really a pretty incredible coaching resume

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #1885 on: January 25, 2021, 04:24:45 PM »
Best long-stretch teams I've seen since I've been old enough to know better (chronological order):

1972-73 Dolphins

1974-79 Steelers

1985 Bears

1988-89 49ers

1992-95 Cowboys

2001-04 Patriots

One thing all of those teams had in common is that they were excellent for a long time in the years before, after and/or between championships.

For example, the Dolphins made the playoffs for the first time in 1970, lost SB6 the following year, capped the only undefeated season in NFL history by winning SB7, absolutely dominated the league en route to a decisive win in SB8, and lost an epic playoff game to Oakland in 1974. That's a 5-year run for a team filled with HOF players. The Chiefs aren't there, at least not yet.

The Steelers won 4 SBs in 6 years, first with one of the dominant defenses ever and then with a spectacular offense. The Aikman-Smith-Irvin Cowboys won 3 SBs in 4 years and were a great team for a long time. In addition to the back-to-back SBs, the 49ers won 2 other SBs in the '80s and were still competing with the Cowboys (and winning yet another SB) well into the '90s; until Brady came along Montana was considered GOAT by many. The Patriots, I probably could have included 12-15 years in their greatness.

The Bears only won the single SB, but their 85 team was as dominant as any team ever and the franchise owned its division for a decade.

KC has a chance to stake its claim among these greats. First let's see what they do in two weeks. Then let's see what they do for the next couple/few years.

One thing for sure: These Chiefs sure are fun to watch. Mahomes is a blast - both supremely talented and extraordinarily exciting. I hope this proves to be a "generational team," because that means Mahomes will have stayed healthy and effective for years.
I would add the Bart Star Era Packers in the 1960s. I was explaining to my kids, that the Saban Alabama dynasty is what the Packers effectively had in the Pros in the 60s, A great game manager QB with almost an entire lineup of All Stars, no drama and just grinding out championships.

From my perspective   would also Add the Cowboys in the 70s to the list above. They were in 5 super Bowls and won 2 in that time span,  which was dominated by the Dolphins and Steelers as you point out. Their games with the Steelers were classics.

KC is positioned for great things. Mahomes has extreme talent, a very good head coach and some incredible supporting cast teammates.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1886 on: January 25, 2021, 04:43:23 PM »
Not that they have any inside knowledge at all, but Kornheiser and Wilbon each is certain that Rodgers has played his last game for the Packers.

• All American
« Reply #1887 on: January 25, 2021, 05:06:35 PM »
Not that they have any inside knowledge at all, but Kornheiser and Wilbon each is certain that Rodgers has played his last game for the Packers.

Maybe I should ask my 80 year old neighbor who moved here from England two years ago. That’s just as meaningful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1888 on: January 25, 2021, 05:54:59 PM »

I cannot believe the noise nationally about this.  It is beyond ridiculous and will not happen! The Packers are not going to force Rodgers out after this season with 3 years left on his contract to give our QB job to a guy who was a healthy inactive all season and hasn’t thrown an NFL pass.  He’s never appeared in a preseason game even.  Just because he’s being groomed to replace Rodgers, he’s nowhere near ready and won’t be in 8 months.

Boyle is an UDFA, so count him as no chance either.

The media touting this story are either just trying to get attention with their hot take, or just unbelievably stupid. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1889 on: January 25, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »
I cannot believe the noise nationally about this.  It is beyond ridiculous and will not happen! The Packers are not going to force Rodgers out after this season with 3 years left on his contract to give our QB job to a guy who was a healthy inactive all season and hasn’t thrown an NFL pass.  He’s never appeared in a preseason game even.  Just because he’s being groomed to replace Rodgers, he’s nowhere near ready and won’t be in 8 months.

Boyle is an UDFA, so count him as no chance either.

The media touting this story are either just trying to get attention with their hot take, or just unbelievably stupid.

Except it wouldn’t be GB forcing him out.  Maybe before popping off, actually pay attention to what caused people to run with that theory...

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1890 on: January 25, 2021, 06:02:45 PM »
Except it wouldn’t be GB forcing him out.  Maybe before popping off, actually pay attention to what caused people to run with that theory...

Heat of the moment comments after a devastating loss. He loves LaFleur’s offense and has consistently said he wants to finish his career a Packer. He’s never hinted before a desire to play anywhere else. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:04:49 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1891 on: January 25, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »

And it would certainly be Packers pulling the trigger to move on based on his contract. Rodgers has zero leverage to make anything happen other than retiring. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1892 on: January 25, 2021, 06:22:28 PM »
And it would certainly be Packers pulling the trigger to move on based on his contract. Rodgers has zero leverage to make anything happen other than retiring.

Stars always have leverage.

But I don't think he is going anywhere - except maybe to another NFC Championship game in GB next year.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:25:02 PM by Jockey »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1893 on: January 25, 2021, 06:33:41 PM »

I agree he'll now force his way out, hey?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:41:09 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1894 on: January 25, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »
Of course he has leverage.

He has the same kind of leverage Emmitt Smith did years ago when he forced the Cowboys to give him a new contract, and at least as much leverage as Watson does now in Houston.

I tend to think this will be smoothed over, and he'll be back at the helm in GB next season. But I obviously don't know that for sure, and neither does anybody else. Not even Rodgers or LaFleur.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1895 on: January 25, 2021, 06:58:11 PM »
Rodgers will not finish his career in Green Bay, his contact and the drafting of Love guarantee it. Pay no attention to him having three years left on his contract. There’s a 0.0% chance he plays year 2023 on that current deal.

If, big if, he wanted out for the 2021 season, the Packers wouldn’t do anything until after June 1st. Time will heal whatever perceived wounds exist, the Packers can make moves in the draft and free agency to help address any perceived roster issues.

After 2021 is when things were always going to get interesting. Rodgers carries a modest dead cap number in 2022, and your now in an odd position with Love where you’ve lost two years to help decide on the looming fifth year option. This was always eventually going to be an issue they were going to have to deal with.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1896 on: January 25, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
Tom goes to Tampa and suddenly the Rays go to the World Series, Bucs go to the Super Bowl, and Lightning win the Stanley Cup. Greatness is contagious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1897 on: January 25, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »
Belichick was holding him back.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1898 on: January 25, 2021, 08:40:09 PM »
Amazing what a top tier defense with a hellacious pass rush and the best WR grouping in the NFL can do for you. Let’s you win a NFC championship game despite being horrific and throwing 3 picks in critical moments

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1899 on: January 25, 2021, 08:44:15 PM »
Amazing what a top tier defense with a hellacious pass rush and the best WR grouping in the NFL can do for you. Let’s you win a NFC championship game despite being horrific and throwing 3 picks in critical moments

I mean, he was pretty dang good in the first half (and first possession of the second half) in getting them an 18 point lead.