[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Season Ticket Question  (Read 25923 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Season Ticket Question
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
This, when I called they asked me who I would like to sit next to and I panicked and just spat out like 3 different names. So I have no clue who I'm sitting next to.

Neither do I, unless my kids count.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
Yea, this isn't a particularly difficult process. I've been doing it for 4 years now. I could see the thought maybe this was GA since it's an "Extension of the Eagles Nest." As a young alum, I like knowing where I will sit every game. Also, I don't have to worry about leaving the place I'm at before the game to find a decent seat.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2015, 02:11:32 PM »
I like knowing that I won't have to freeze my ass off for games anymore.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2015, 02:22:49 PM »
I respectfully disagree. MU shouldn't be their enabler. They're adults. They're no longer "college kids. They're college graduates. They can figure out who they want to sit by and make the necessary arrangements when ordering season tickets. My 6 buddies and I have done that since we graduated in 2002. We figured it out. It's a simple process. Besides, it's not like they couldn't find a place to sit together in the upper bowl for most games anyway.

MU's objective is to sell the most tickets.  GA for the recent alum dedicated section would do that. If one wants assigned seats, there's 10,000 others to choose from. You and your friends were an were an easy sell.  But you're not the target.  Candidly, the target is my daughter and Chitown and BOTH have expressed preference for GA primarily because it doesn't force them to determine their seatmates.  Let me ask the question this way.  Does it make sense for the student section to be assigned seats?  I'd argue an emphatic no.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:09:42 PM by jsglow »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »
I respectfully disagree. MU shouldn't be their enabler. They're adults. They're no longer "college kids. They're college graduates. They can figure out who they want to sit by and make the necessary arrangements when ordering season tickets. My 6 buddies and I have done that since we graduated in 2002. We figured it out. It's a simple process. Besides, it's not like they couldn't find a place to sit together in the upper bowl for most games anyway.

Enabling? We're talking about where to sit at a basketball game. TAMU has general admission seating in some of the sections for basketball games and it works out very well. Makes us money too. Sure the people who get the front few rows of a section get cheaper tickets but those in the nosebleeds end up overpaying.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »
MU's objective is to sell the most tickets.  GA for the recent alum dedicated section would do that. If one wants assigned seats, there's 10,000 others to choose from.

What are you basing that on? If someone wants to buy season tickets, I can't imagine that a lack of general admission seating is going to turn them off.

Enabling? We're talking about where to sit at a basketball game. TAMU has general admission seating in some of the sections for basketball games and it works out very well. Makes us money too. Sure the people who get the front few rows of a section get cheaper tickets but those in the nosebleeds end up overpaying.

Yes, it would be enabling if the school created a special "general admission" section for recent grads because they aren't willing to put in a small amount of effort to order season tickets with their friends.

I don't know. Maybe I've just had a frustrating stretch with our recently hired lazy, entitled millennials  ;)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
What are you basing that on? If someone wants to buy season tickets, I can't imagine that a lack of general admission seating is going to turn them off.

Let me try another approach.  By offering a GA recent alum section IN ADDITION to reserved seating I just doubled my product offering.  IDK, I was just a dumb Finance/Economics major back in the day.  Two breakfast cereals are better than one by definition.  By offering two, you will sell more cereal.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2015, 03:28:52 PM »

We're off on a tangent but I could certainly envision that for the 3rd, seldom used deck in the new arena.  Not saying that it's necessarily a good idea but one must always consider the most marginal fan.  I've said forever that MU ought to go back to the $99 end-zone season ticket.  That alone got chick and I to purchase season tickets from Chicago roughly 10 years ago.  We've moved to far more expensive seats from that modest starter spot.

I also remember 3-4 years ago they tried to raise the price of student tickets ($125 I think).  It was an absolute disaster, immediately abandoned the following year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
Let me try another approach.  By offering a GA recent alum section IN ADDITION to reserved seating I just doubled my product offering.  IDK, I was just a dumb Finance/Economics major back in the day.  Two breakfast cereals are better than one by definition.  By offering two, you will sell more cereal.

In that case, why not offer GA seating for the entire upper bowl? Or just the upper bowl baselines? Are GA prices cheaper, more expensive or the same cost as assigned seats? And why include only "recent alum" and only one section? I like to get to games early. Why can't I sit in a better seat than someone who arrives a couple minutes after tip-off? After all, everyone in my section and those near me are paying the same cost per ticket. Also, are you offering only one cereal choice to the general public but two choices to people age 25 and under? If so, why?

I understand your point, but I feel that the "GA for recent alum" notion is just unnecessary.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:36:18 PM by MerrittsMustache »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2015, 04:18:28 PM »
In that case, why not offer GA seating for the entire upper bowl? Or just the upper bowl baselines? Are GA prices cheaper, more expensive or the same cost as assigned seats? And why include only "recent alum" and only one section? I like to get to games early. Why can't I sit in a better seat than someone who arrives a couple minutes after tip-off? After all, everyone in my section and those near me are paying the same cost per ticket. Also, are you offering only one cereal choice to the general public but two choices to people age 25 and under? If so, why?

I understand your point, but I feel that the "GA for recent alum" notion is just unnecessary.

Good enough.  We'll just disagree.  So for interest sake, what's your view on student having GA?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2015, 04:30:59 PM »
Just watched MU again win the NCAA Championship. I AM CHARGED! LET'S GET IT ON!
WARRIORS, WARRIORS, WARRIORS

fjm

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »

Damn someone forgot what it's like to be young and have plans change quickly. Settle down gramps. Why didn't you also include "I have dinner every night at 5:30 and three bowel movements by 9:15 am or I call my MD about constipation." In that post.
Don't forget, not everyone has just 6 friends that they only want to sit by game in and game out.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:24:42 AM by fjm »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »
Damn someone forgot what it's like to be young and have plans change quickly. Settle down gramps. Why didn't you also include "I have dinner every night at 5:30 and three bowel movements by 9:15 am or I call my MD about constipation." In that post.
Don't forget, not everyone has just 6 friends that they only want to sit by game in and game out.

Thanks, Mr. Popular. You're a fine example of the "everything should revolve around me" generation. Just because you and your massive group of friends are disorganized and unreliable doesn't mean there should be a general admission section for recent grads. For the record, we started off with a group of about 10-12 guys buying tickets in the same section and several other people who we'd meet up with before/after games and during halftime. That changes over time. You'll learn that some day, young whippersnapper.

Also, plans change quickly? Really? I have 4 kids age 6 and under. Don't tell me about plans changing quickly  ;)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
Good enough.  We'll just disagree.  So for interest sake, what's your view on student having GA?

I was personally never a big fan of the GA seating for students (despite seeing bad ConfUSA ball in my student days). I would have liked to see something similar to the points system that regular season ticket holders have (i.e. move closer with each year you buy tickets). Basically, it would end up being seniors towards the front and frosh in the upper deck. A stamp/wristband arrangement doesn't seem like it would be too complex an undertaking. That said, "stadium management" isn't my field so maybe it would be.

(Full disclosure: I'm an engineer who likes structure and order)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »
I was personally never a big fan of the GA seating for students (despite seeing bad ConfUSA ball in my student days). I would have liked to see something similar to the points system that regular season ticket holders have (i.e. move closer with each year you buy tickets). Basically, it would end up being seniors towards the front and frosh in the upper deck. A stamp/wristband arrangement doesn't seem like it would be too complex an undertaking. That said, "stadium management" isn't my field so maybe it would be.

I've always struggled with this concept... in the grand scheme, there's nothing worse than making students sit outside in freezing temperatures to see a big game whether or not the team is doing well - it seems somewhat Machiavellian for an athletic department to create a system that makes this an inevitability ("look at the students, they're having so much fun and they're so passionate... boy I wish I was in college again" as they AD admins "brave" outside temps for 50 feet from parking garage to arena entrance).

But in the age of television contracts, the last thing you want viewers to see is a bunch of empty seats in the lower bowl.

In a perfect setting, student tickets would have seats (or sections) assigned before each game according to some sort of point system that takes into account the student's class/year, the number of games they've attended previously, their preferred friend/companion/kiss-cam-partner lists, etc.  Although the complexity of which would be necessary to avoid empty seats and maximize some element of "fairness" I cannot even begin to comprehend.  But the bottom line is that the more games you attend, the closer you get to the floor... that way, the older kids have something of a priority status, but in the same light, a senior who hasn't been to a game his/her entire collegiate career doesn't get to show up on Senior Day vs. GTown to watch MU clinch the BE and displace a freshman who's attended every game.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
I've always struggled with this concept... in the grand scheme, there's nothing worse than making students sit outside in freezing temperatures to see a big game whether or not the team is doing well - it seems somewhat Machiavellian for an athletic department to create a system that makes this an inevitability ("look at the students, they're having so much fun and they're so passionate... boy I wish I was in college again" as they AD admins "brave" outside temps for 50 feet from parking garage to arena entrance).

But in the age of television contracts, the last thing you want viewers to see is a bunch of empty seats in the lower bowl.

In a perfect setting, student tickets would have seats (or sections) assigned before each game according to some sort of point system that takes into account the student's class/year, the number of games they've attended previously, their preferred friend/companion/kiss-cam-partner lists, etc.  Although the complexity of which would be necessary to avoid empty seats and maximize some element of "fairness" I cannot even begin to comprehend.  But the bottom line is that the more games you attend, the closer you get to the floor... that way, the older kids have something of a priority status, but in the same light, a senior who hasn't been to a game his/her entire collegiate career doesn't get to show up on Senior Day vs. GTown to watch MU clinch the BE and displace a freshman who's attended every game.

The GA system for the students also helps guarantee that the most enthusiastic and dedicated fans get to sit up front, unlike the rest of the arena where the sweater vest crowd scores the best seats, while the wild cheering of glow and me goes unnoticed in the upper bowl...
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
The GA system for the students also helps guarantee that the most enthusiastic and dedicated fans get to sit up front, unlike the rest of the arena where the sweater vest crowd scores the best seats, while the wild cheering of glow and me goes unnoticed in the upper bowl...

I don't think people realize that sitting out in the cold for hours was actually one of my most rewarding moments of the student section. I loved that wait, forces people to be creative.

Also, if you cheer ad loud as you say you do, I'm sure you and glow would be welcomed into the young alumni section. With permission from chick jr of course.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2015, 02:08:24 PM »
I don't think people realize that sitting out in the cold for hours was actually one of my most rewarding moments of the student section. I loved that wait, forces people to be creative.

Also, if you cheer ad loud as you say you do, I'm sure you and glow would be welcomed into the young alumni section. With permission from chick jr of course.

Yeah, that's not happening.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »

It was great. I met a few people in line for games as a freshman that I'm still friends with to this day.

That said, I was ready to be done with it after four years. Much prefer getting there at tip after some pregame beverages.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »
In a perfect setting, student tickets would have seats (or sections) assigned before each game according to some sort of point system that takes into account the student's class/year, the number of games they've attended previously, their preferred friend/companion/kiss-cam-partner lists, etc.

Too complicated.  6 hours before tip, students can log into their account and claim a game ticket.  This way the most passionate fans for each game get the best seats.  But, get off my lawn.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
It was great. I met a few people in line for games as a freshman that I'm still friends with to this day.

That said, I was ready to be done with it after four years. Much prefer getting there at tip after some pregame beverages.

I was ready to be done after three years.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »

Interesting that you say that. Students GA was strongly preferred by my kids and their friends.  Honestly,  I think you're in the small minority.  But unlike some others here who are calling you names, I've enjoyed your perspective.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »
wouldn't the Frosh and Soph  fans be more vociferous? By my Senior year I couldn't  applaud with two beers in my hands and usually had a date

🏀

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2015, 07:00:25 PM »
Underclassmen are usually way more rambunctious, imo.

I support a point system that rewards those that attend all sports.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
All you clowns with your crazy algorithms MUST be engineers.  The outdoor line matters about twice a year and frankly is a wonderful rite of passage as Chitown indicated.  Leading the entire student body into the BMO BC against Bucky in both 2010 (Frosh daughter) and 2012 (Frosh son) should be worthy of a banner in the Al somewhere.  Of course as upperclassmen, they preferred to hang back and pre-game a tad. 

feedback