Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by brewcity77
[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[May 13, 2024, 04:30:50 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The numbers don't lie  (Read 9186 times)

DaCoach

• Team Captain
The numbers don't lie
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »
We've all read about the offensive inadequacies of our backcourt this year. And their ineffectiveness can't be overlooked. However little criticism has been placed elsewhere. Here is a comparison that should dispel some of the blame. Both Gardner and Jamil Wilson have seen their offensive stats drop from last year.

Davante has seen his FG% go to 54% from 59% and his FT% from 84% to 64%, a 20 point plunge. Jamil's FG% last year was the same as this year, 44%. However his FT% gone to only 60% from 74% last year.

If we then try to compare our positions where players have moved on we look at Junior's numbers last year vs Derrick's this year, it can be noticed that the FG% has gone from 43% to 38% and the FT rate from 71% to 56%. The numbers fall off grow more significantly when we try to replace Vander's impact with that of Jake. FG% was 45% last year and only 34% this year. Biggest improvement this year has come from Mayo who has improved his shooting from 35% to 44%.

Marginally Otule and Anderson have also improved along with better numbers from our freshmen to offset Lockett's performance. Bottom line is that our senior members haven't improved their games this year and the players who have positive offensive numbers aren't impacting team stats because of their limited court time.
Players win awards but teams win championships

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The numbers don't lie
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »
So let me get this straight...Davante and Jamil are shooting a lower percentage from the line because of our backcourt?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
I laugh at that, too, brew.

I think there is a legitimate point that Davante especially doesn't have as much room to operate because the guards feeding him the ball haven't been as effective as their predecessors. But if he's thinking about Derrick's lack of shooting ability while he's standing on the line, well, that's au-to-ma-tic-ally dopey!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
So let me get this straight...Davante and Jamil are shooting a lower percentage from the line because of our backcourt?

May not be that crazy.  It's like a QB with a good running the game, it opens up the pass.

If you have a backcourt that can hit shots from the perimeter, doesn't that open up the inside a bit because they can't cheat off of you?  If DWill is out there, it's 4 on 5, an extra defender guarding someone.  That makes it tougher to score.  Plus, you need a backcourt that can get your guys the ball in places where they can shoot the ball.

I don't think it is that far fetched...balance helps.  It's not the end all be all, but a more balanced outside scoring punch from the guards is only going to help the bigs get better shots and likely a higher FG percentage.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
May not be that crazy.  It's like a QB with a good running the game, it opens up the pass.

If you have a backcourt that can hit shots from the perimeter, doesn't that open up the inside a bit because they can't cheat off of you?  If DWill is out there, it's 4 on 5, an extra defender guarding someone.  That makes it tougher to score.  Plus, you need a backcourt that can get your guys the ball in places where they can shoot the ball.

I don't think it is that far fetched...balance helps.  It's not the end all be all, but a more balanced outside scoring punch from the guards is only going to help the bigs get better shots and likely a higher FG percentage.

Free throws, Chicos, free throws. It's completely far fetched. Derrick Wilson being at the halfcourt stripe when Davante is standing on the free throw line doesn't make it 4 on 5, it's still 1 on .

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »
Free throws, Chicos, free throws. It's completely far fetched. Derrick Wilson being at the halfcourt stripe when Davante is standing on the free throw line doesn't make it 4 on 5, it's still 1 on .

I was focusing on the FG% drop by DG, not FT% drop.  It's obvious the FT % drop is because Buzz doesn't make them practice free throws.

;)

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
Where did I ever say or even imply that?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
In the bolded areas.

We've all read about the offensive inadequacies of our backcourt this year. And their ineffectiveness can't be overlooked. However little criticism has been placed elsewhere. Here is a comparison that should dispel some of the blame. Both Gardner and Jamil Wilson have seen their offensive stats drop from last year.

Davante has seen his FG% go to 54% from 59% and his FT% from 84% to 64%, a 20 point plunge. Jamil's FG% last year was the same as this year, 44%. However his FT% gone to only 60% from 74% last year.

If we then try to compare our positions where players have moved on we look at Junior's numbers last year vs Derrick's this year, it can be noticed that the FG% has gone from 43% to 38% and the FT rate from 71% to 56%. The numbers fall off grow more significantly when we try to replace Vander's impact with that of Jake. FG% was 45% last year and only 34% this year. Biggest improvement this year has come from Mayo who has improved his shooting from 35% to 44%.

Marginally Otule and Anderson have also improved along with better numbers from our freshmen to offset Lockett's performance. Bottom line is that our senior members haven't improved their games this year and the players who have positive offensive numbers aren't impacting team stats because of their limited court time.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 05:01:49 PM »
In the bolded areas.

Think you are really misreading his post...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »
Think you are really misreading his post...

Yeah, think so too

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
I must be, because that seems absolutely ridiculous.  :-\

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »
I must be, because that seems absolutely ridiculous.  :-\
He never suggested that the backcourt was the cause of missed FTs. He was pointing out that the senior front court guys are also contributing to bad offense due to missed FTs and lesser FG percentage.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
In the bolded areas.

Before you read facts and infer I stated the cause being our backcourt, I suggest you point out where I drew a cause and effect relationship. Your comprehension is atrocious.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
Before you read facts and infer I stated the cause being our backcourt, I suggest you point out where I drew a cause and effect relationship. Your comprehension is atrocious.

Seeing as I wasn't the only way that saw it like that, maybe it wasn't written very clearly. Regardless, I misinterpreted, as I stated 3 posts up.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »

I wonder why you didn't mention the turnover rates of Jamil and Big Sheesh?

Probably because it doesn't your radical agenda of hate.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »
I wonder why you didn't mention the turnover rates of Jamil and Big Sheesh?

Probably because it doesn't your radical agenda of hate.

What brought about that stupid response?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »
Seeing as I wasn't the only way that saw it like that

Yea...by you and "Sultan"

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 10:42:02 PM »
Yea...by you and "Sultan"

Apparently you also have reading comprehension problems  ::)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »
Apparently you also have reading comprehension problems  ::)

No, not at all. How's fire fightin'?

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »
What brought about that stupid response?

I was actually being kind. Numbers do "lie" to those who don't understand them.

Case in point:

Quote from: DaCoach
The numbers fall off grow more significantly when we try to replace Vander's impact with that of Jake. FG% was 45% last year and only 34% this year.

Except for the grammar, this sounds like it makes sense... but it doesn't. Once you consider the shots taken by Vander and Jake (i.e., 3FG & 2FG), things change. In your world +/- tells a story. In mine it often does not (certainly not in the case of JJJ). In your world Vander shot the ball significantly better last year than Jake is shooting this year. In my world, Jake's shooting has been better than Vander's.

Numbers can lie. However, the first step is making sure you're looking at relevant data.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »
I was actually being kind. Numbers do "lie" to those who don't understand them.

Case in point:

Except for the grammar, this sounds like it makes sense... but it doesn't. Once you consider the shots taken by Vander and Jake (i.e., 3FG & 2FG), things change. In your world +/- tells a story. In mine it often does not (certainly not in the case of JJJ). In your world Vander shot the ball significantly better last year than Jake is shooting this year. In my world, Jake's shooting has been better than Vander's.

Numbers can lie. However, the first step is making sure you're looking at relevant data.

Probably because it doesn't your radical agenda of hate

It's usually wise not to criticize grammatical errors when one's own mistakes are at least as egregious. As for your claim that Jake is a better shooter than Vander was last year, I'd be glad to accept the consensus of Marquette fans.

Finally, for anyone to suggest that numbers lie probably means that their mathematical skills need improvement.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 12:22:36 AM »
It's usually wise not to criticize grammatical errors when one's own mistakes are at least as egregious. As for your claim that Jake is a better shooter than Vander was last year, I'd be glad to accept the consensus of Marquette fans.

Finally, for anyone to suggest that numbers lie probably means that their mathematical skills need improvement.

Jake's eFG% this season is higher than Vander's was last season. Thought you were a numbers guy?!

brandx

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 12:30:03 AM »

I'll choose your side here Coach. You're right that numbers don't lie - people just tend to choose numbers that don't tell what they are purporting to tell.

Case in Point - JayBee's claim that Jake is a better shooter than Vander. Totally irrelevant. Almost always, someone who only takes wide open shots will have a better shooting percentage than a creator like Vander and it is obvious to everyone that it is a useless stat.  Vander created and scored much more than Jake - there is no comparison between their offensive skills.

Better "shooter" means nothing.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 01:07:29 AM »
Jake's eFG% this season is higher than Vander's was last season. Thought you were a numbers guy?!
Otule's eFG% is highest on the team. By your assessment, he must be the team's best shooter, Eh?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 06:07:32 AM »
Truth is if Vander were on this team, we're be bitchin' he sucks.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback