Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by brewcity77
[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[May 13, 2024, 04:30:50 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wiggins to 2013?  (Read 9199 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Wiggins to 2013?
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »
Just saw this on Twitter:

@KySportsRadio: Andrew Wiggins is reclassifying to the Class of 2013 according to Eric Prisbell

If true, it will be quite the battle between him and Jabari Parker for the #1 spot in the class. I had heard talk UK didn't want him to reclassify due to already having such a stacked class next year. Of course they'd take Wiggins regardless, but it might call for some creative rostering.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Wiggins to 2013?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
Just saw this on Twitter:

@KySportsRadio: Andrew Wiggins is reclassifying to the Class of 2013 according to Eric Prisbell

If true, it will be quite the battle between him and Jabari Parker for the #1 spot in the class. I had heard talk UK didn't want him to reclassify due to already having such a stacked class next year. Of course they'd take Wiggins regardless, but it might call for some creative rostering.

Finding a spot for Wiggins is not something MU needs to worry about.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
Finding a spot for Wiggins is not something MU needs to worry about.

It isnt MU relevant news but Wiggins is the being called the next great player, maybe the best since LeBron. Important bball news in general.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
And Kentucky is one of the favorites.  It never ends.......

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
And Kentucky is one of the favorites.  It never ends.......

THE favorite. Florida State looks like they are 2nd place at this point, with him having connections to them, but Calipari's checkbook always reigns supreme. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
I've got to say I really don't like KY.

romey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
If you don't mind my asking, how can someone "reclassify" from the class of 2014 to the class of 2013?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
If you don't mind my asking, how can someone "reclassify" from the class of 2014 to the class of 2013?

Graduate early.

hilltopper03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:18:22 PM »
Nerlens Noel also reclassified to the class of 2012.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 11:36:12 PM »

Graduate early.

Or on time. After planning on doing so a year "late"...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 07:22:19 AM »
THE favorite. Florida State looks like they are 2nd place at this point, with him having connections to them, but Calipari's checkbook always reigns supreme. 

I highly doubt he is paying players.  Look, this is very simple.  Get your work done in high school early...come to Kentucky and have a wonderful academic experience (wink, wink)...compete on the highest levels of college basketball....and then enter the draft...same year as if you were a one-and-done.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »

I highly doubt he is paying players.  Look, this is very simple.  Get your work done in high school early...come to Kentucky and have a wonderful academic experience (wink, wink)...compete on the highest levels of college basketball....and then enter the draft...same year as if you were a one-and-done.

I'm with this.  Four number ones and a high number two draft pick last year.  Its like a high level minor league preparation for draft and the recruits know it.  

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 11:32:16 AM »
I've got to say I really don't like KY.

KY doesn't like you either.  That could change, just start tweeting Diamond Stone to go to UK.

(Please understand that this is a backhand slap at UK, not the excellent mileskishnish72).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:35:21 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »

I read that Wiggins is actually 17 years old and a few weeks older than Jabari Parker, which means he should've originally been in the 2013 class. I think that Canada has it's classes different or something which is why he was 2014 and not 2013.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:31 AM »

I disagree. It seems like according to the notable Memphis alumni, it was pretty public knowledge that Calipari was paying his kids. They were fine with it and thought it was just "business as usual" because "everyone does it". So when he goes to UK, people suddenly think he's going to go clean? That's ridiculous. If the alumni know that the top recruits (Rose, Evans) were getting paid, you can be certain the younger recruits know it as well. Do you really think all the top recruits will suddenly flock to Kentucky because of what Cal did with those guys? No, it's because they know that Cal paid those guys and that he now has even deeper pockets.

Obviously it's not a blank check or anything easily traceable, but I think it's simply silly to believe that UK, with morals that are without a doubt questionable at best, isn't going to go to the same depths Cal did at his other jobs.

Bottom line, Kentucky has a history of unethical behaviors. Calipari has a history of unethical behaviors. And somehow people believe that putting these two together would result in a lily-white NBA factory? To me, that seems delusional.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
There has been no solid evidence that Calipari paid players at Memphis.  Now he has played illegal players like Camby and Rose, but there has been no evidence that suggests pay for play.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
I read more and more often that Calipari is far more likely to get caught for having done something illegal several years ago than for anything he is doing now. The momentum and brand he has built (perhaps through cheating) is so strong right now that Im not sure he needs to cheat anymore. Who knows. I always find it amusing that when a top prospect signs with UK or any other program, then "the check must have cleared." Quite frankly, I cant think of one good reason why a top prospect wouldnt want to attend UK. Amazing attendance. Top-notch facilities. Strongest brand in bball right now. Won a championship last year. Ridiculous success in the draft. Ties to LBJ and Nike. Flourishes by using one-and-done players...which is what the top prospects are.

Regarding Wiggins, I think he ends of at UK. I read he is a good student and a very high IQ bball player that shares the ball well and doesnt need the spotlight. FSU has a shot because his parents went there. Syracuse is the darkhorse because his AAU PG recently committed to them.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
There has been no solid evidence that Calipari paid players at Memphis.  Now he has played illegal players like Camby and Rose, but there has been no evidence that suggests pay for play.

+1

Camby took money from agents after enrolling at UMass and Rose had someone else take the SAT for him. Neither of those involved paying a player to join Cal's program.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Cal knows that there have been questionable things going on with recruiting but doesn't want to know specifics. The less he knows, the better. I also think that Coach Cal, though slimy, is the best recruiter in college basketball and is currently the head coach at one of the most successful programs in college basketball history, a program whose boosters are (stereotypically) not opposed to doing whatever it takes to help land recruits. Add in the recent success of the program and the high number of lottery picks produced, and it's no wonder that the best of the best recruits often choose Kentucky.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
He's always going to get kids into the lottery, but how often do you think he'll have five 18-19 year olds who can play together and win a national championship? Last year those guys had great chemistry but that's not going to be the case each year. The majority of years he will have the most talented team however they might not be the best team because of egos, age, inexperience, etc.

I think the best thing would be for KY to lose the next few years and his recruiting slows down a bit. I'd rather have the kids who want to win than to have the kids who are only using college as a stepping stone to the NBA.
Bring back FFP!!!

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
I'd rather have the kids who want to win than to have the kids who are only using college as a stepping stone to the NBA.

Whether a kid stays one year or four years, isnt he using college as a stepping stone to the NBA? What's wrong with setting career goals? Are you saying you would rather have less talented kids that need several years of development than blue-chippers that only need one or two?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
Whether a kid stays one year or four years, isnt he using college as a stepping stone to the NBA? What's wrong with setting career goals? Are you saying you would rather have less talented kids that need several years of development than blue-chippers that only need one or two?

Trust me I would love the one and dones, but I'm also realistic in the fact that those type of players don't really look at MU too often. What I was saying is that I'd rather have the players that have to work super hard and compete everyday than the kids who since they we're sophmores in high school knew that they were on NBA radars.

There are 60 spots in the draft, I'd say a good 20 (thats a guess) go to international players which leaves 40 for college kids. The odds of being one of those 40 is incredibly small, for the kids going to KY they pretty much know they will be one of the 40. Players that come to MU have to earn it and prove to others that they belong. The way they do that is by setting small goals like winning, not eventually earning a paycheck..which NBA or not they all will.
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
Why did we never offer this guy? Only 4 schools did, and UK already has like 6 guys in the top 10....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/127674/andrew-wiggins

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »
Why did we never offer this guy? Only 4 schools did, and UK already has like 6 guys in the top 10....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/127674/andrew-wiggins

Maybe because only four teams were allowed to visit him by handlers? Why waste time on a guy that has no interest in coming here. We don't have any ties to him and aren't a blue-blood which he has shown interest in. I'm sure Buzz put in a feeler and got rejected right away.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »
He has no Marquette connections. He's going to FSU.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »
Maybe because only four teams were allowed to visit him by handlers? Why waste time on a guy that has no interest in coming here. We don't have any ties to him and aren't a blue-blood which he has shown interest in. I'm sure Buzz put in a feeler and got rejected right away.

But, but...We could have made his final 5 :)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
But, but...We could have made his final 5 :)

Actually, that would be pretty funny to see MU up there with all parties knowing he isn't even considering them.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 11:59:48 AM »
I disagree. It seems like according to the notable Memphis alumni, it was pretty public knowledge that Calipari was paying his kids. They were fine with it and thought it was just "business as usual" because "everyone does it". So when he goes to UK, people suddenly think he's going to go clean? That's ridiculous. If the alumni know that the top recruits (Rose, Evans) were getting paid, you can be certain the younger recruits know it as well. Do you really think all the top recruits will suddenly flock to Kentucky because of what Cal did with those guys? No, it's because they know that Cal paid those guys and that he now has even deeper pockets.

Obviously it's not a blank check or anything easily traceable, but I think it's simply silly to believe that UK, with morals that are without a doubt questionable at best, isn't going to go to the same depths Cal did at his other jobs.

Bottom line, Kentucky has a history of unethical behaviors. Calipari has a history of unethical behaviors. And somehow people believe that putting these two together would result in a lily-white NBA factory? To me, that seems delusional.
Reminds one of Nick Nolte and the guy "Happy" booster in Blue Chips--cars, tractors, gym bags of money and perks for the parents. Wonder how close to the truth that movie was?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 01:34:09 PM »

So true. From UMass, to Memphis, to Kentucky, Calipari paid out well.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't McNeilly coach him on some Canadian basketball team?? Not that that would make any difference whatsoever here but there is a connection.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »

Actually I believe we did very early on. I remember hearing us associated with him maybe 2-3 years ago, but our name was out of the mix early as his stock took off.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
His brother plays for Wichita State.  He tweeted a week or two ago to expect little bro's decision to be "Shocking", but has also said their parents want it to be FSU.