[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Concerns Me Most about the Maymon Deal  (Read 11547 times)

GGGG

• All American
What Concerns Me Most about the Maymon Deal
« on: December 15, 2009, 05:45:03 AM »
Why is MU issuing a press release?  Why are they wishing him well?

By doing this, it seems to me that Buzz has already basically accepted Maymon's decision and that it doesn't leave him the wriggle room to come back to the program if he changes his mind.  Actually, between this, and the fact that Tim Maymon apparently knew nothing, it makes me wonder if this was initiated by Buzz and not Jeronne.  (Not saying it did...it just leads you to that conclusion.)

I just think releasing such a statement is a strange thing to do.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: What Concerns Me Most about the Maymon Deal
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:06:06 AM »
It gives Jeronne room to come back under terms a coach can accept.  We should all wish him well.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:09:54 AM »
Didn't they do the same thing when Acker left?  Only to have another press release when he decided to rejoin the team???

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:10:41 AM »
I was thinking exactly the same thing.  I think this may have been initiated by Buzz.  He may have seen the writing on the wall and nipped this in the bud.  Perhaps he doesn't want another Mbakwe situation on his hands.  

Buzz, on the one hand, seems like "one of the guys" and is very familiar with the players (i.e., he allows them to call him Buzz), but on the other hand he has a line that you do not cross (i.e., you need to give 110% effort and put the team ahead of personal interests).  Perhaps, JM was crossing the line and not backing down.  

By reacting proactively, the coach is in control of the situation and not the other way around.  

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:23:28 AM »
Didn't they do the same thing when Acker left?  Only to have another press release when he decided to rejoin the team???

I think Rosiak just put out a blog article when Acker came back...and by then his name was just back on the roster at the official site.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:32:15 AM »
I was thinking exactly the same thing.  I think this may have been initiated by Buzz.  He may have seen the writing on the wall and nipped this in the bud.  Perhaps he doesn't want another Mbakwe situation on his hands.  

Buzz, on the one hand, seems like "one of the guys" and is very familiar with the players (i.e., he allows them to call him Buzz), but on the other hand he has a line that you do not cross (i.e., you need to give 110% effort and put the team ahead of personal interests).  Perhaps, JM was crossing the line and not backing down.  

By reacting proactively, the coach is in control of the situation and not the other way around.  

If Buzz is kicking a freshman off the team for not giving 110%, or even threatening to do so by issuing a press release, then we have issues much larger than Maymon leaving.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:33:13 AM »
Let Jeronne think through the situation.  It could of been an impulsive or heat of the moment decision.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 07:29:09 AM »
Doesn't it seem strange MU would be issuing a press release before Buzz even spoke with Maymon's father? Seems to me that'd be something the family would be involved in.

Something isn't right here.

CharleTheJesuit

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:30:38 AM »
Impulsive spur of the moment decisions do not reflect professional behavior.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 07:34:40 AM »

Which is exactly why I don't think the AD would issue a press release to call a bluff.

Something's up, and we don't know what it is. Just waiting for Thursday when we'll hear more about it.

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 07:41:12 AM »

Exactly.  And one shouldn't yet expect an 18-year-old to be a professional about such things.  However, if the decision was "spur of the moment" by the coach or athletic department, then you have a point.  

Regardless of the reason, I really feel bad for Jeronne that during finals week he has to deal with this when he should be concentrating on his exams.  

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »

Praise in Public, Pummel in Private

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 08:23:37 AM »
Doesn't it seem strange MU would be issuing a press release before Buzz even spoke with Maymon's father? Seems to me that'd be something the family would be involved in.

This.

Something is weird here.

I'm not holding my breath on him coming back, but something is definitely "up".

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »

It does seem like a relatively quick press release, therefore Buzz and the AD
know what has happened and are biting it in the butt so as to not put the program in a bad light.

I know its not morally right to hope something against someone, but I hope it was a mistake by Jeronne after the Wisconsin game where he felt the heat after the game from his hometown. Possibly set unrealistic expectations prior to the Big East regular season for himself?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 08:53:47 AM »

If Buzz is kicking a freshman off the team for not giving 110%, or even threatening to do so by issuing a press release, then we have issues much larger than Maymon leaving.

My thinking as well. You don't issue a press release for this stuff, but who knows what he's thinking.

The comparisons some are making to the Acker press release are totally different because of why he left the team

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »
My guess is jerrone is really struggling with this year so far.  He is too young and immature to realize how much better he a nad the team will be next year.  As Al said, "the best thing about Freshman is they become sophomres", Al  knew that we know that but tell it too a 18 year old kid that is coming off a state titel and 2 player of the year awards.  He is living a nightmare.

My guess sis this is not the first time Jerrone has "quit" and my guess is Buzz has had enough and by issuing a press release he is saying "if you want to quit then let's make it for real cuase people dont just quit around here like no big deal".  sort of a boy who cried wolf deal.

Does not mean he has no ability to be accepted back Mu can release a new press release no big deal.  But what is does do is clearly delineates the fact that jerrone and Buzz have drawn a line in the sand ...quit again whetehr it be verbally, emotionally or effort wise and you will never come back.  happens all the time in sports the press realease makes it even more real for the kid,  teaching moment...and i felt this way last night as soon as i read it before the tim maymon quotes etc.  Who knows jerrone may not have even said "i quit"  or he may have but he could have sat down or walked off the court or said something and Buzz called him out and in affect said "if you are going to quit let's make this F'ing thing official".  it's all part of the psychology of coaching

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »
My guess is jerrone is really struggling with this year so far.  He is too young and immature to realize how much better he a nad the team will be next year.  As Al said, "the best thing about Freshman is they become sophomres", Al  knew that we know that but tell it too a 18 year old kid that is coming off a state titel and 2 player of the year awards.  He is living a nightmare.

My guess sis this is not the first time Jerrone has "quit" and my guess is Buzz has had enough and by issuing a press release he is saying "if you want to quit then let's make it for real cuase people dont just quit around here like no big deal".  sort of a boy who cried wolf deal.

Does not mean he has no ability to be accepted back Mu can release a new press release no big deal.  But what is does do is clearly delineates the fact that jerrone and Buzz have drawn a line in the sand ...quit again whetehr it be verbally, emotionally or effort wise and you will never come back.  happens all the time in sports the press realease makes it even more real for the kid,  teaching moment...and i felt this way last night as soon as i read it before the tim maymon quotes etc.  Who knows jerrone may not have even said "i quit"  or he may have but he could have sat down or walked off the court or said something and Buzz called him out and in affect said "if you are going to quit let's make this F'ing thing official".  it's all part of the psychology of coaching

+1000

That is the smartest and most likely scenario I have heard and sounds Buzzlike
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:07:23 AM by damuts222 »
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:28 AM »

Does not mean he has no ability to be accepted back Mu can release a new press release no big deal.  But what is does do is clearly delineates the fact that jerrone and Buzz have drawn a line in the sand ...quit again whetehr it be verbally, emotionally or effort wise and you will never come back.  happens all the time in sports the press realease makes it even more real for the kid,  teaching moment...and i felt this way last night as soon as i read it before the tim maymon quotes etc.  

Could be, but an interesting way to prove your point to a kid in public.  I disagree when you say it's part of the coaching psychology....it's definitely a 180 from the coaching psychology when you take it public.  Does Buzz run to the public every time to win battles with his players?  Not sure I want other coaches recruiting against Buzz with that ammunition.  

But Buzz does do some unconventional things so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this could be what is happening.  If it is, I have to wonder why some of the other conventional things didn't happen first?  Sit the kid out a game or two (maybe that's what happened at NC State).  Only play him a few minutes.  Etc.

I totally agree with you Hayward (you might want to bronze that statement) that the coach should run the asylum, not the players.  I've always felt that way and if it's a his way or highway mentality, I applaud Buzz.  The way to get there, however, is a different path for each coach.  This would be a path that is rarely used because of all the speculation it brings to the kid.  If he truly is struggling as you suggest, then issuing this release isn't going to do anything but put MORE pressure on him with the avalanche of questions that follow.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:14:33 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:11:58 AM »
Posters have said, "let's wait until Thursday".......

What happens Thursday?  Is there a presser scheduled?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »
My guess is jerrone is really struggling with this year so far.  He is too young and immature to realize how much better he a nad the team will be next year.  As Al said, "the best thing about Freshman is they become sophomres", Al  knew that we know that but tell it too a 18 year old kid that is coming off a state titel and 2 player of the year awards.  He is living a nightmare.

My guess sis this is not the first time Jerrone has "quit" and my guess is Buzz has had enough and by issuing a press release he is saying "if you want to quit then let's make it for real cuase people dont just quit around here like no big deal".  sort of a boy who cried wolf deal.

although your theory at first glance sounds plausible, I am not sure playing mind games with a kid during finals week has any upside.  I think there has to be more to the story than this.  As I said in another post, I think it is something out of left field that we may have not considered yet.  we shall see.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 09:15:08 AM »
Posters have said, "let's wait until Thursday".......

What happens Thursday?  Is there a presser scheduled?

Supposedly this is when Buzz can talk about all this....who knows.  Maybe it's an artificial deadline.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »
Were any of the potted plants in the AL damaged at all this week? 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:55 AM »

Well, its most likley one of two things...Either Tim Maymon isn't being honest when he says he know nothing about it, or Buzz just kicked him off the team. Under either scenario, I guess I am not too sorry to see him go.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »
Were any of the potted plants in the AL damaged at all this week? 

Cans of snuff and glasses of sweet tea laying all over 12th St. as we type.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »
One thing being lost in most of these posts is the fact that what's been reported so far is that Jeronne "has decided to leave the program."
In other words, he quit.
Unless the university is playing it cute with their choice of words, this was Maymon's decision, not Buzz's.

So perhaps some of you are being somewhat less than fair when questioning Buzz's actions here, suggesting he's being unprofessional, playing mind games, etc. Maybe Buzz played a Jedi mind trick on Maymon to make him quit. Barring that, it appears this was Maymon's doing.

feedback