'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Portal Transfers  (Read 168332 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: 2023 Portal Transfers
« Reply #1400 on: June 22, 2023, 09:54:26 AM »
One thing is clear- Shaka plays by one set of rules, Shakas.

For example, when TyKo, Kam, and Oso leave after this season, and after dominating the BE yet again and making a great run in the NCAAT to the final 4, Shaka has the guys in their place.

Trust the guy until you can’t, that’s the motto. Or just trust him until he wins, and then trust him forever

Yep. I get that many here are worried that Shaka did not take advantage of the portal and, this coming season, their fears may be justified. This is an opinion board after all. I think Shaka follows the beat of a different drummer and so far, he has exceeded my expectations Big Time. He has a laser -like focus. I'm happy watching his long-term plan unfold.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1401 on: June 22, 2023, 01:30:30 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty tough for me to look at what Shaka has done so far at Marquette and say, "Yeah, but now he's wrong."

Like many here, I do wish he'd have been able to find a Jayce Johnson type who would have been content to play 5 minutes one game, 20 the next and 14 the next while demanding little NIL money. But I'm also realistic enough to know that few players would be willing to accept such a role.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1402 on: June 22, 2023, 05:43:05 PM »
I do not think Shaka wants anyone who will mess with team chemistry.

Don_Kojis

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1403 on: June 22, 2023, 08:32:04 PM »
So how does Shaka know if someone will fit in if they don't join and team? Does he just wait till all the players now on the team
graduate and then recruit a whole new group of guys?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1404 on: June 22, 2023, 09:53:17 PM »
So how does Shaka know if someone will fit in if they don't join and team? Does he just wait till all the players now on the team

Seriously?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1405 on: June 22, 2023, 09:56:57 PM »

I'm guessing this is a joke, right?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #1406 on: June 23, 2023, 06:21:50 AM »
We all talk about this as if it was a one way street.

People are debating this on the assumption that Shaka did not want to add any impact transfers. That assumption is fairly based on reading between the lines of Shaka’s words in past interviews. But it is still an assumption. Do we know it to be 100% true?

Shaka has played his cards close to his vest so far. Isn’t it possible that Shaka looked but couldn’t find an “impact transfer” that wanted to come to Marquette for any of a variety of reasons (e.g. NIL, lack of promised playing time, not being “the man”).

Despite the fantasies of the neighbors to the west, this is not a Badger black and white world we live in, where recruits either are committed to UW or UW cooled on them. There are a lot of different possibilities that exist.

Given Shaka’s past track record with transfers, I find it much more likely that he did explore the transfer market for an impact player but was fortunate enough to be highly selective, and of those that met the criteria needed, perhaps interest in transferring to MU was simply not there (again for a variety of reasons).

I highly doubt Shaka didn’t look at and explore all options. He’s not gotten this far with this much success without being ready for every contingency. To say simply that he didn’t want to add a transfer because we don’t have one added seems, to me, awfully simplistic.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1407 on: June 23, 2023, 07:08:11 AM »

People are debating this on the assumption that Shaka did not want to add any impact transfers. That assumption is fairly based on reading between the lines of Shaka’s words in past interviews. But it is still an assumption. Do we know it to be 100% true?

Shaka has played his cards close to his vest so far. Isn’t it possible that Shaka looked but couldn’t find an “impact transfer” that wanted to come to Marquette for any of a variety of reasons (e.g. NIL, lack of promised playing time, not being “the man”).

Despite the fantasies of the neighbors to the west, this is not a Badger black and white world we live in, where recruits either are committed to UW or UW cooled on them. There are a lot of different possibilities that exist.

Given Shaka’s past track record with transfers, I find it much more likely that he did explore the transfer market for an impact player but was fortunate enough to be highly selective, and of those that met the criteria needed, perhaps interest in transferring to MU was simply not there (again for a variety of reasons).

I highly doubt Shaka didn’t look at and explore all options. He’s not gotten this far with this much success without being ready for every contingency. To say simply that he didn’t want to add a transfer because we don’t have one added seems, to me, awfully simplistic.

I agree with this. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1408 on: June 23, 2023, 07:16:42 AM »

Undoubtedly true.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1409 on: June 23, 2023, 07:18:55 AM »

A message board? Simplistic?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1410 on: June 23, 2023, 09:47:18 AM »
Tre Mitchel 6'9 240lb F from WVU into the portal... supposedly UK bound.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1411 on: June 23, 2023, 09:48:20 AM »
We had 4ish targets in March/April. They went elsewhere. Makes sense because we have virtually zero minutes for them.

End of story.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1412 on: June 23, 2023, 09:53:50 AM »
I might be the only guy that still believes there will be an addition to the team. That being said, Shaka is running out of time.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1413 on: June 23, 2023, 10:55:45 AM »
I might be the only guy that still believes there will be an addition to the team. That being said, Shaka is running out of time.

If there is. It is one of two players.

One a center who might be more of a 2024 post grad recruit. The other is a foreign born player.

I don’t think either really help this years team team besides injury cover.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1414 on: June 23, 2023, 01:56:45 PM »
Generally, the really good players in the portal are looking for NIL money. Taking money away from current players to fund a new player is not going to be good for team chemistry..

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #1415 on: June 23, 2023, 01:57:56 PM »
Tre Mitchel 6'9 240lb F from WVU into the portal... supposedly UK bound.

Kerr Kriisa also in the portal, and I wouldn't doubt if most of the team now follows. 

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #1417 on: June 26, 2023, 04:27:52 PM »
Tre Mitchell to Kentucky.

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuMark

• All American

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1420 on: June 30, 2023, 04:58:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/caleb_kozinski/status/1674802655762235392?s=61&t=LZ3u22MK192xK4-EVE6VWA

F*ck! Next man up. Somebody is going to have to step in and fill those minutes.

Seriously, though...good luck to Caleb. I hope he finds a good situation and some sweet, sweet NIL money.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1421 on: June 30, 2023, 08:23:43 PM »
F*ck! Next man up. Somebody is going to have to step in and fill those minutes.

Seriously, though...good luck to Caleb. I hope he finds a good situation and some sweet, sweet NIL money.
Best wishes as well. As far as those NIL $$$ go, well, good luck….

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback