collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 186714 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #1275 on: June 15, 2021, 10:15:01 PM »
If the Bucks lose game 6, Bud will be fired.

I think he will be if they lose Game 7.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1276 on: June 15, 2021, 10:15:52 PM »
Yea. I think the Bucks need a new coach, but it’s not all on him. It’s like Packer fans blaming McCarthy. Some of it is the same stuff as when Kidd was there. Giannis goes iso and isn’t dynamic enough to do that under pressure. Then Middleton goes iso and forces a tough shot.

I think the Bucks need a new voice, but I don’t think they are filled with high BBall IQ or calm under pressure guys in their star positions.

Yeah I agree with this pretty much completely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: June 15, 2021, 10:16:01 PM »
My complaints are more the panic on the offensive end after running good offense all night. They respond by running isolations which hasn’t worked all series.

Yes.  Their offense was terrible as well.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: June 15, 2021, 10:21:15 PM »
There's a lot of blame to go around but the fact remains that this was a game the Bucks had no business losing.  Personally, I saw terrible decision making on both ends of the floor and no adjustments down the stretch from their head coach.  Am I wrong here? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: June 15, 2021, 10:26:57 PM »
For most of the game, Harden was Junior Cadougan.

Kyrie was in street clothes.

Harris, Brown, Shamet, Claxton and James might as well have been middle-school players.

I’m Capt. Obvious here: You simply can’t lose that game if you’re the Bucks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1280 on: June 15, 2021, 10:27:47 PM »
Barkley being really tough on Bud. Said it was Really dumb coaching.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: June 15, 2021, 10:28:12 PM »
There's a lot of blame to go around but the fact remains that this was a game the Bucks had no business losing.  Personally, I saw terrible decision making on both ends of the floor and no adjustments down the stretch from their head coach.  Am I wrong here?

You aren’t wrong. They went away from what worked on offense and didn’t adjust.

I think we saw that while Giannis has had MVPs, he’s a tier below the Durant’s,  Lebron’s, and Curry’s of the world. He just can’t take over a game and lift his team like those guys.

We had a HOF player have a career game and Jeff Green went Jean Felix. But they certainly had many opportunities to win that game and shot themselves in the foot with really bad offense. They should not have lost that game.

That fadeaway by Giannis with Harden on him was the game in a nutshell. He hits it every once in awhile, but that’s not your best chance to succeed when you really need to go to your bread and butter.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: June 15, 2021, 10:29:11 PM »
Hyperbole is a thing. I am guilty of it often.

I actually think this may be the dumbest thing I have ever read.

https://twitter.com/ReggieMillerTNT/status/1405001116794855424
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1283 on: June 15, 2021, 10:35:48 PM »
You aren’t wrong. They went away from what worked on offense and didn’t adjust.

I think we saw that while Giannis has had MVPs, he’s a tier below the Durant’s,  Lebron’s, and Curry’s of the world. He just can’t take over a game and lift his team like those guys.

We had a HOF player have a career game and Jeff Green went Jean Felix. But they certainly had many opportunities to win that game and shot themselves in the foot with really bad offense. They should not have lost that game.

That fadeaway by Giannis with Harden on him was the game in a nutshell. He hits it every once in awhile, but that’s not your best chance to succeed when you really need to go to your bread and butter.

Agreed.  I was also wondering why Giannis didn't check KD more down the stretch or at least move to the 5 and switch off the high screen?  But you and others do make good points about the Bucks' offense in the 2nd half. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1284 on: June 15, 2021, 11:25:09 PM »
Yea. I think the Bucks need a new coach, but it’s not all on him. It’s like Packer fans blaming McCarthy.

Its not all on Budd. it was pretty much all on McCarthy. Did you watch that Seattle game?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: June 15, 2021, 11:26:54 PM »
Its not all on Budd. it was pretty much all on McCarthy. Did you watch that Seattle game?

Same theme. Playing not to lose.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1286 on: June 15, 2021, 11:29:02 PM »
For most of the game, Harden was Junior Cadougan.

That's nonsense and an undeserved cheap shot at a decent player and the last good point guard we've had around here.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1287 on: June 15, 2021, 11:57:35 PM »
Durant btw scored 31 pts in the 2nd half on 10-13  shooting.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1288 on: June 16, 2021, 01:09:35 AM »

So I took a bit to sit on the game and get past the disappointment.  The only silver lining is, as a huge NBA fan, Durant is unreal and such a cheat code in literally every facet of the game, that you can only marvel at him.

But for me, looking at the Bucks, I think the BIGGEST issue, besides the offensive scheme breaking down repeatedly, their two "best" players, Middleton and Giannis, are pretty much zeros in the iso game.  I think in a well run offensive set, the open court, or a fast/secondary break, Giannis is pretty much impossible to guard.  But if you slow it down and have him beat a decent defender 1 v 1?  He's lacking.  Same for Middleton, great rhythm shooter, plays well off Giannis, but put him on an island with a plus defender?  He can get buckets but he's not superlative there.

All of the above is what kills this Bucks team.  You have a coach in Bud who struggles with in game adjustments and a 2 pronged scoring threat that is VERY susceptible to skilled and attuned half court coaching tweaks.

Also, Brook Lopez put up the quietest 15 pt game I can remember.  He feels like a constant also-ran, even though his stats arent vastly different than the last 2 seasons.

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: June 16, 2021, 07:47:58 AM »
Wags, I have said this before, and you nailed it again.  The biggest problem with the Bucks is they don't have a guy who you can give the ball to down the stretch and say "get us a basket."  Running isolations in the fourth quarter is a strategy as old as the NBA itself.  That's pretty much what the Nets were doing.  And the reasons for it are simple.  It's easy when the crowd is loud and the players are fatigued, running with a hot shooter works, etc. etc. etc.  But the Bucks can't do that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1290 on: June 16, 2021, 07:52:42 AM »
https://theathletic.com/news/suns-chris-paul-enters-nbas-covid-19-health-and-safety-protocols-sources/AnqFCLjqlqkT

Chris Paul enters Covid protocols.  He *may* have been vaccinated, but if he wasn't, that was extremely dumb.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: June 16, 2021, 09:05:28 AM »
But for me, looking at the Bucks, I think the BIGGEST issue, besides the offensive scheme breaking down repeatedly, their two "best" players, Middleton and Giannis, are pretty much zeros in the iso game.  I think in a well run offensive set, the open court, or a fast/secondary break, Giannis is pretty much impossible to guard.  But if you slow it down and have him beat a decent defender 1 v 1?  He's lacking.  Same for Middleton, great rhythm shooter, plays well off Giannis, but put him on an island with a plus defender?  He can get buckets but he's not superlative there.

Lord help me but... is it D'Antoni time?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: June 16, 2021, 09:15:23 AM »
Lord help me but... is it D'Antoni time?

Have heard rumors he'd want the Bucks job.  Please no.  All isolation with a roster that is terrible in isolation.  Plus more lack of defense.

I've wanted Juwan Howard since the middle of the college season.  Obviously no proven track record of success in the NBA.  But spent time under Spoelstra and played under Riley, should have the respect of the players, etc.

Have also heard rumors that Rick Carlisle would want the Bucks job.  Would rather have him than Dantoni, but he does love isolation with Luka right now.  Also hasn't won a Playoff series since he won the 2011 NBA title.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1293 on: June 16, 2021, 09:18:19 AM »
Kawhi Leonard may be out for the rest of the playoffs.  The Bucks are perhaps the healthiest team left.  They STILL have every opportunity to get this done , advance to the ECF, and have a legitimate shot to win the chip.  That lost last night was beyond inexcusable.  That was a total meltdown on both ends of the floor and a self-inflicted mess.  Will Budenholzer have this team ready to play and seize the moment?  This could be great for MU, that's why I'm not happy about last night. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: June 16, 2021, 09:36:43 AM »
Have heard rumors he'd want the Bucks job.  Please no.  All isolation with a roster that is terrible in isolation.  Plus more lack of defense.
Have also heard rumors that Rick Carlisle would want the Bucks job.  Would rather have him than Dantoni, but he does love isolation with Luka right now.  Also hasn't won a Playoff series since he won the 2011 NBA title.

Fair.  Not sure if D'Antoni has any desire to party like its 2006 anymore.  Anything resembling his offense in Houston would be no bueno.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #1295 on: June 16, 2021, 09:39:12 AM »
They STILL have every opportunity to get this done , advance to the ECF, and have a legitimate shot to win the chip.

I would be shocked beyond belief if the Bucks manage to win the next two games.   I think it will go seven, but would not even be surprised to see it end in six.  Sorry, they just don't play team ball enough.  When things are going well, it seems like individual players start to believe everything will go in and just start jacking it.  Last night's game was critical.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1296 on: June 16, 2021, 09:42:04 AM »
Kawhi Leonard may be out for the rest of the playoffs.  The Bucks are perhaps the healthiest team left.  They STILL have every opportunity to get this done , advance to the ECF, and have a legitimate shot to win the chip.  That lost last night was beyond inexcusable.  That was a total meltdown on both ends of the floor and a self-inflicted mess.  Will Budenholzer have this team ready to play and seize the moment?  This could be great for MU, that's why I'm not happy about last night.

Assuming CP3 covid doesnt protocol doesnt have him miss time against the Jazz. The Suns are probably the healthiest team.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1297 on: June 16, 2021, 09:50:31 AM »
I would be shocked beyond belief if the Bucks manage to win the next two games.   I think it will go seven, but would not even be surprised to see it end in six.  Sorry, they just don't play team ball enough.  When things are going well, it seems like individual players start to believe everything will go in and just start jacking it.  Last night's game was critical.

Wut? They play very good team ball, almost too much, but when the scheme isn’t working or they are tired or the defense is dialed in, they are lacking iso excellence to break out of slumps.  Claiming a team isn’t playing “team basketball” and just hero ball is the most tired trope when an NBA team isn’t playing well.  The Bucks offense has broken down in the playoffs year over year when teams haven’t they figured out, and it’s not cause guys are trying to do too much and Jack shots

As for D’Antoni, please no.  He was an innovator and ahead of his time, but he’s not the guy to get a team over the hump

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: June 16, 2021, 10:16:38 AM »
I'd have to go back and watch the Nets comeback again, but it sure felt like they were targeting Lopez a ton and the Bucks had no answer. And given how well things went Sunday playing small I'm furious that they didn't play it that way sooner. By the time Bud woke up and made the change, the momentum was already firmly with Brooklyn and it was too late. Too many soft switches on high ball screens, poor communication on others. It was a disaster.

As for the offense, the fact that they had Harden out there for 40 minutes and didn't attack him more than a few times is malpractice. I don't have a problem with iso ball when it's used correctly. There were a handful of times when Holiday had Harden up top, and rather than spread the floor and let him cook they brought a ball screen which brought help or a switch. Just dumb f*cking basketball for the last 19 minutes of the game.

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: June 16, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »
I'd have to go back and watch the Nets comeback again, but it sure felt like they were targeting Lopez a ton and the Bucks had no answer. And given how well things went Sunday playing small I'm furious that they didn't play it that way sooner. By the time Bud woke up and made the change, the momentum was already firmly with Brooklyn and it was too late. Too many soft switches on high ball screens, poor communication on others. It was a disaster.

Was Bobby Portis hurt?  He didn't play yesterday at all, and if you are going to go small, that's the guy you bring in, and with his experience is going to manage PnR better than Lopez did.