Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: To all the Crean bashers  (Read 1857 times)

jzolt

• Walk-On
To all the Crean bashers
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
It's a good thing that there was not a message board like this in 1977 because the same people who constantly rip on Coach Crean would have been been all over our greatest coach ever. I remember the talk about Maguire and how bad the team was. How could he lose seven games with all that talent. The bashers then said he can't coach, his temper and T's take us out of games. Hank Raymonds is the real bench coach, Maguire only recruits.
The point here is that there are always going to be people unhappy with the coach. Those of you who think it was any different in the Maguire era are mistaken. Some of the "Old Timers" who are bitchin about Crean were bitchin about Maguire.  Some things never change.

The Lens

• All American
Re: To all the Crean bashers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:25:43 PM »
It's McGuire...with a "c"

Thanks for the history lesson, hope you enjoyed my spelling lesson.

If Al was the coach he probably would have logged on, told us all to get lives and ripped us in the media.  He wouldn't pontificate about being the only team in 3 years to have double digit wins in the Big East.  He didn't seem like the guy who at every press conference had to remind you about how great he was. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pardner

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 11:04:27 PM »

He wouldn't pontificate about being the only team in 3 years to have double digit wins in the Big East.  He didn't seem like the guy who at every press conference had to remind you about how great he was. 

I will be honest, I never got this criticism of TC on the showmanship scale.  Are you saying that Al didn't have the French Pastry in him to draw attention to the school and program?  The uniforms, the three piece suit with a boutonniere, cutting down the nets with a switchblade, his quotes, having the team dunk in warm-ups to earn a T, shaking the opposing coach's hand BEFORE the game, or prancing on the scorer's table while receiving the one finger salute?  Al was every bit the showman as TC as they both had/have to be to draw attention to the little, private school in Milwaukee--the coldest and furthest west school in the BE. 

Yes, their styles are different but they were/are both talked about in the NATIONAL press because of it.  It is all about Share of Voice.  I can see where it may be annoying to those in Wisconsin, but if you noticed, we have one scholarship player on our roster from the state.  Chicago TV won't even pick-up our NCAA games as the primary.  It is hokey as all get out, but it plays in Peoria and NY and Texas and Alabama.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »
Fair point, I guess I always take TC's reminder of success as his PR Spin to season ticket holders etc.  I guess it does have some good National press possibilities.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muball

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »
To be successful at MU one has to do more then coach, Program visibility, marketing etc. After Al the next successful coach was O'neil and now Crean and they both are visible to the media etc. BEast has helped MU alot in recognition. 

I left out Hank and Rick who are good coaches but they were too close to the McQuire era.   Example I think Bo would have difficulty handling the challenges at a private school. At UW he has no real PR responsibilities and an edge on recruiting state kids do to all the PR UW gets from being the largest school in the state. UWM is a commuter school and not a major Div 1.

Our next coach will also

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:35:37 AM »
It's a good thing that there was not a message board like this in 1977 because the same people who constantly rip on Coach Crean would have been been all over our greatest coach ever. I remember the talk about Maguire and how bad the team was. How could he lose seven games with all that talent. The bashers then said he can't coach, his temper and T's take us out of games. Hank Raymonds is the real bench coach, Maguire only recruits.
The point here is that there are always going to be people unhappy with the coach. Those of you who think it was any different in the Maguire era are mistaken. Some of the "Old Timers" who are bitchin about Crean were bitchin about Maguire.  Some things never change.

heheh.......check this out -- "If we had the Internet in 1977"

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/02/if-we-had-internet-in-1977.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
Al McGuire ain't walking through that door.   His era was 30-40 years ago, may God rest his soul.  He wouldn't get the players today that he got then.   3 straight 25 win seasons, three straight double digit conference win seasons in the BEast, 89% graduation rate, tireless marketing of the little private school in downtown Milwaukee.   How long would Dean Smith have lasted at UNC today if it took him as long to win a Championship as it did?   Should Duke get rid of K because he has lost touch with the modern game, can't recruit a big or develop a bench?    Herb Sendek, this is NCState calling, all is forgiven, please come home.   Coach Roy was not universally loved at Kansas cuz he couldn't win the big one.   Be careful what you wish for.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »
Coach Crean has taken MU from decent D1 program to a major D1 program. He is an excellent promoter, motivator, teacher, and community representative. He should receive a lot of accolades for all that he has done for MU. I think the frustrations and criticism comes from his inability to land major recruits and his inability to adjust and make solid in-game decisions.

Take the Stanford game for an example.  First of all, we all know of the lack of bigs, but how many coaches would stay with a defense that is clearly not working. No fronting with weakside help, no zone, no box and 1. No adjustment. When is the last time a player scored 28 points after halftime without any 3's and the same defense was used the whole time. That's insane.

The frustration is coming so close and not being able to get over the hump.
Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!